ITT Post Your Random Thoughts

Come on in, come to the place where fun never ends. (Shenanigans!)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Re: ITT Post Your Random Thoughts

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:19 am

Mark Zuckerberg spent his whole life being last on every alphabetical list.

Angel Beat
~ Space, the final frontier. ~
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Angel Beat (?) » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:48 pm

haha butts
New signature pending.

Mechanical Ape

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:04 pm

I’ve never known anyone who ended a childhood anecdote with “… and I turned out fine!” who actually did turn out fine.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:01 pm

When I went to school and had to perform a high jump over an elastic rope using the Fosbury Flop technique, I fell on the rope and the stands (made out of heavy wood) holding the rope were pulled towards me and landed on my head. It hurt but beyond that I turned out fine and unscathed.
Weeks prior we had to do hand stands and I slipped and landed on my head as well.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Mechanical Ape

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:58 pm

Well okay, ONE person turned out fine.

Mechanical Ape

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:26 am

There are things that amuse me, and one of them is commercials for TV shows that have an out-of-context clip of a character from the show appearing to approve of the commercial. Which is common enough to be a thing.

ANNOUNCER: Booger McBooger is moving to a new time! Tune in Fridays at 7:30 for new episodes!
:smooze: “That sounds like a RADICAL idea!”

And I don’t know why I find this funny, but I picture it’s some network employee’s assignment “find an approving clip from Booger” and them wondering where their career went wrong.

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:21 pm

MeTV seems to run a lot of those.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:35 am

I have started a new text file in the Notes app. It's called "Where did I leave the...?"

Basically, I've realized that whenever I forget where I left something and have to turn the house upside down looking for it, I inevitably find several other things in the meantime that make me say "Hey, I don't remember putting that there" or "Oh, so that's where that was!" or even "I had no idea I still had that." But then, in the heat of the moment, I can think of no better place to put it than right back where I found it. So from now on, I'm going to log their location in the file. It's basically an unorganized, but short enough to read through quickly, catalog of anything I can think of that's not in a really obvious place.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:39 pm

if you are an ancient greek i will judge you for it
ImageImage Image Image

;) ❤️ :twasnothin: ❤️ :fancyhat:

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:41 pm

i will make the ancient greeks pay
ImageImage Image Image

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:42 pm

i will make them pay :twonk:
ImageImage Image Image

Mechanical Ape

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:36 pm

Pay? What would you do with a drachma if you got it?

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:49 pm

then they'll pay with their blood :twonk:
ImageImage Image Image

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Dropping tears does not always mean the sadness.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:20 am

DaikatunaRevengeance wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:39 pm
if you are an ancient greek i will judge you for it
*sitting, fully nude, in a shitty urn* fuck off
:snoop: Image :snoop:

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:52 pm

:seethe:
ImageImage Image Image

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:19 am

bleh
Last edited by DaikatunaRevengeance on Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage Image Image

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:45 pm

Have people even settled on what the difference between the two even is yet? Back in the day it was nebulous and hard to explain but went something like "bisexual means you're attracted to both masculine and feminine features, but pansexual means you're attracted to people and physical appearance doesn't factor into it at all" but lately I've heard a more literal interpretation of the names, where pansexuals are also into intersex people (both naturally-born and partially-transitioned... and whatever it's called when nonbinary people get only half a sex change on purpose) whereas bisexuals specifically aren't. And I wonder if that shift is due to people just hearing the words and assuming their literal meanings without bothering to look into it. Because I'm sure being turned off by nontraditional combinations of physical features is a thing, but it can't be true of all people who identify as bi. Or even most. Right?

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:12 pm

bleh
Last edited by DaikatunaRevengeance on Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage Image Image

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:20 pm

bleh
ImageImage Image Image

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:22 pm

in short:

ImageImage Image Image

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:21 pm

You know what's weird? Christmas songs that get released and are mostly ignored, or peak for a while and then go away, only to become staples of radio stations' seasonal playlists years or even decades later. "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" is from the '60s (as one might infer from its chord progression) but didn't really become a big thing until this past decade, despite being well-known enough to get covers from everyone from Mariah Carey (on the same album as her famous hit) to U2 in the intervening years. "Last Christmas" disappeared from the airwaves a few years after its original release; now it's everywhere and everyone has their own terrible version of it. The Drifters' version of "White Christmas" didn't make a big impact until it made back-to-back appearances in Home Alone and The Santa Clause. And this is purely anecdotal, but I didn't hear "It's a Marshmallow World" until just a few years ago.

I wonder if it's a matter of everyone getting so tired of the same old standards that even the DJs get desperate and go digging for something, anything they haven't heard before, and sometimes dig up a major earworm that was completely ignored when it came out because, let's face it, who actually buys Christmas albums? I'm pretty sure some of them are released straight to thrift stores.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:07 pm

The secret sauce to it is NOSTALGIA. Christmas is pure nostalgia, as anything involving traditions. I assume that those older songs get a resurgence because the generation growing up with these songs yearn for that sweet, sweet nostalgia.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Mechanical Ape

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:14 pm

"It's a Marshmallow World" never went away that I can remember, so maybe you just got unlucky/lucky, OP.

I do think that Christmas is a barrel whose bottom gets continually scraped for novelty and anything which remotely gets a reaction gets pushed to the top. Mariah Carey made one successful new Christmas song and today she's "Queen of Christmas" -- and not to take anything away from her, it's actually really hard to break into the ossified pantheon of Christmas standards, that song is less than 30 years old which for this genre is like being the one millennial at the retirement party.

I got to watch "A Christmas Story" become a Beloved Timeless Classic in real time, since I was like 13 when that movie came out; I enjoyed it then and I still do! Then at some point cable TV decided to air it each year, and it went from a well-known and widely liked Christmas movie, to the Christmas movie. Like it's stopped being a movie and become this cultural thing that gets watched because that's just what you do and not for any merits it may have.

Christmas kills everything it touches, basically.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:24 pm

Christmas is like a collection of memes. You can reference them, you can subvert them, you can put your own unique spin on them, or you can just straight-up recreate them with your OC, and maybe you'll get lucky enough that your thing will go viral or even become a meme in its own right, but at the end of the day, the only reason you made it in the first place was because of the memes that came before.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:57 pm

Mechanical Ape wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:14 pm
I got to watch "A Christmas Story" become a Beloved Timeless Classic in real time, since I was like 13 when that movie came out; I enjoyed it then and I still do! Then at some point cable TV decided to air it each year, and it went from a well-known and widely liked Christmas movie, to the Christmas movie. Like it's stopped being a movie and become this cultural thing that gets watched because that's just what you do and not for any merits it may have.
I got to see it happen to Elf. I remember seeing the commercials on USA Network about how they'd be airing it multiple times during the month. I guess it's happened to every successful Christmas movie in between, but I don't know anyone who's sick of Home Alone yet.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:55 am

I'm sorry to be the bearer of the bad news: I'm not a fan of Home Alone. The older I get the more I hate it. When I was in Elementary School it was all the rage and I loved it but with age the dumbass behavior of everybody in the film just infuriates me more and more. Even the good music doesn't soften my grievances towards the movie.

It's the perfect power fantasy for children but I'm no child anymore.

Mechanical Ape

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:33 am

If you enjoyed "Too Many Cooks", the guy who made that also made "Yule Log", also under Adult Swim. It opens as a typical Yule log fireplace video and then ... things happen.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:09 pm

Referring to yourself as "my ass" instead of "I" or "me" is the only non-awkward sounding way to attach an adjective to yourself in English. Compare "My dumb ass decided to blah blah blah" vs. "Dumb me decided to blah blah blah".

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:36 pm

I remember a decade or so ago, it was a popular sentiment that the news media was devoting more time interviewing random idiots on the street about their opinions rather than doing actual journalism, and that this sucked.

Nowadays the discourse seems to have shifted towards "Fuck journalism; I get all my news from random idiots spouting their opinions on social media."

I've been careful to word that in a way that doesn't imply it's the same people in both situations, but if not, I would very much like to know where the people in the first paragraph disappeared to.

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:06 pm

well you see, the guy on social media told me that every journalist is paid off by the government and that he's trustworthy
ImageImage Image Image

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:12 pm

also i think people convince themselves that because someone is "just some guy on twitter" that they're gonna be more truthful or "down to earth" compared to a news station

they kinda ignore that a lot of people on social media have an interest to bring attention to themselves, be it either for their own ego or monetary gain
ImageImage Image Image

Mechanical Ape

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:40 pm

Sometimes I make a typo and imagine an alternate dimension that is identical in every way except February is called Debruary, and that maybe that’s where I was meant to be all along.

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:05 pm

good
ImageImage Image Image

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Dropping tears does not always mean the sadness.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:51 pm

Mechanical Ape wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:40 pm
Sometimes I make a typo and imagine an alternate dimension that is identical in every way except February is called Debruary, and that maybe that’s where I was meant to be all along.
Mandela Yearning?
:snoop: Image :snoop:

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:39 am

"Clankenstein" would be a good name for a robot.

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:12 pm

i desire money
ImageImage Image Image

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:47 pm

Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:12 pm
i desire money
ImageImage Image Image

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:02 am

i have come to the conclusion that i am, in fact, the only person with good taste in video games

it is my cross to bear, but someone has to do it :fluttersmith:
ImageImage Image Image

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:32 pm

Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:02 am
i have come to the conclusion that i am, in fact, the only person with good taste in video games

it is my cross to bear, but someone has to do it :fluttersmith:
No such thing as 'good taste in video games'

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:41 am

you got me there
ImageImage Image Image