Scale modeling! Big things come in small packages.

It's lovely, darling! (Fanart, Fanfics, Pony or not Pony. If you're creative, post here!)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Smoke
Bringing back a classic
Princesses of Soul

Re: Scale modelling! Big things come in small packages.

Post by Smoke (?) » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:39 pm

Alright, time to start off a new page with absolute shit. I finished the F-16 earlier, and it's terrible.

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

So, the positive thing is that it does kinda look like an F-16 from a distance (of about 500 yards) and the colorscheme is reasonably accurate. That's about it.

Onto the bad: The decals are of a terrible quality and the larger ones actually cracked as soon as they got wet no matter what I tried, resulting in some very careful attempts at aligning the parts and hoping nothing else flaked off. I didn't even use decal softener because that'd probably just kill them completely. Some of them aren't even the correct size. Printing quality and coverage looks like a mid-90s HP Deskjet printer. The overall kit has fitting issues in virtually every part requiring trimming, sanding and filling, the panel lining seems to be more of a suggestion than anything else, there's parts included for a two-seater configuration but no instrument panels or control sticks whatsoever, there's ejector pin markings in the worst places, the canopy lacks any sort of detail and is thick as hell, the decal instructions and the decal sheet numbering are only similar in that they both use integers below 1000 and the instructions contain details not even present on the kit itself.

So yeah, terrible. Don't buy unless you enjoy pain. Don't buy even if you enjoy pain. And considering the quality of the decals in this version, I'm glad I wasn't curious enough to buy this version as I've built the Revell release and casual searching shows that the Spitfire decal on this one is one huge piece as well.

Time to move on to something better, but I'll figure out what that is tomorrow.

EDIT: I'm gonna build something different for a change, as it's been a while since I built a car. It'll be nice to work on something in a bigger scale.
Image I shall sing you the song of my people
ImageImageImage

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:33 pm

Oh man, that sounds like it was a pain in the ass. :nnngh:

Anyway, some more content:

Click for Fullsize

I got a chance to start detailing and panel-lining the RX-78-2. It’s the 2001 release, rather than the 2015 release, because my brain don’t remember so good. :-I The main differences are that the 2001 is a little more anime accurate, and has less detail and somewhat worse articulation, iirc. I’ll make sure to look it up later when I have a chance.

I’ll finish off the leg and feet panel lining when I start assembly, but I find it easier to do fine detail when parts are on the runner. Hopefully there aren’t any loose parts in crucial areas on this build, because I forgot that I don’t have clear coat or model cement. But I can always apply a topcoat later on, and I want to get some more practice in on building these because it’s been a long time since I’ve done any model building on a regular basis.

Captain Rufus
Faithful Students

Post by Captain Rufus (?) » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:46 am

I’ve built but haven’t finished the Momokapool mostly as I am working on Warhammer 40k stuffs in what little hobby time I have. Some scenery too. Both ready build kits new and old, and some Tamiya stuff. Sadly the latter can be a pain. The instructions for these tank traps suuuuuuck. It’s 3 beams and 2 triangle thingies but I can’t suss it out. :cry:

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:25 pm

Edit: never mind my whining. I found a way to paint the piece. Man I hate painting tiny details.

Smoke
Bringing back a classic
Princesses of Soul

Post by Smoke (?) » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:10 pm

For tiny details I tend to use either my thinnest brushes, or if those are too thick a toothpick can do the trick as well. Really depends on the layout of the part though, as it's mostly cockpits and dashboards where this is needed. Another method I sometimes use is paint the details first, then being careful when painting the surrounding area (again with a thin brush), or with raised details just using a brush lightly covered in paint and being careful not to get too close to the surface.
ImageImageImage

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:52 pm

I used a toothpick and that seemed to work out. Also, it’s done. :party:

It was the gold v on the waist that gave me so much trouble. :-I It could have come out better with regards to sprue marks, but it’s all right for a first effort after over a decade of not building anything.

Also, whoever at 2001 Bandai decides that the eye decal needed to be two separate pieces needs to be smacked on the head. I painted the red cameras on its head by hand because applying tiny stickers sucks, and painting looks better and is easier.

Smoke
Bringing back a classic
Princesses of Soul

Post by Smoke (?) » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:13 pm

Ooh, that looks pretty dang nice.

I'm pretty sure the sticker bit is with the reasoning that it has to be easy to build for those who don't paint their kits, and that era of Bandai did have a thing with tiny stickers in my experience. That part of my collection still remains in storage until I finally have some place to put it all, and when I do I'll go over all of them and see if I can't replace the stickering with actual paint wherever possible. I've got almost every single item in that line. The toothpick method works there too by the way.
ImageImageImage

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:52 pm

Smoke wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:13 pm

I'm pretty sure the sticker bit is with the reasoning that it has to be easy to build for those who don't paint their kits, and that era of Bandai did have a thing with tiny stickers in my experience. That part of my collection still remains in storage until I finally have some place to put it all, and when I do I'll go over all of them and see if I can't replace the stickering with actual paint wherever possible. I've got almost every single item in that line. The toothpick method works there too by the way.
Yeah, though it also does tend to rely on the era and complexity of the kit. I picked up the 1/144 HG Throne Gundam Zwei - about a ten year old kit - and to my dismay discovered half the sword is molded in the tan color instead of white like it should be, all for the sake of ensuring the little mounting socket (which it uses to attach to the shoulder) is the right color. And then there's the 1988 Zeta Plus C1 (a reprint of the kit) which has some mind-boggingly silly color choices like the entire feet being molded in blue just for the trim when they're supposed to be two-tone gray.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:08 pm

Haven't contributed in a while, so here's today's build - the 1/144 MS-11 Act Zaku, P-Bandai exclusive variant.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:54 pm

Smoke wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:13 pm

Tiny stickers are the bane of my existence. I still remember how I’d drop one from my tweezers and end up with it stuck to the palm of my hand or something when I was building the old Gundam kits way back when. :-I
Kronos wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:08 pm
Haven't contributed in a while, so here's today's build - the 1/144 MS-11 Act Zaku, P-Bandai exclusive variant.
Oh, that came out nice. I really want to get a Zaku to pair off with my RX-78-2. Or go nuts and get a Sazabi and a Nu to go together as well.

I think I know what car kit I want to build, but I need to check some reviews online first.

Smoke
Bringing back a classic
Princesses of Soul

Post by Smoke (?) » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:00 pm

Progress on the VW: The engine bay is done and glued to the bottom.

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

Still need to put decals on the battery, and getting to this point has been a minor annoyance at some parts as the fit is pretty dang tight (Just like in a real VW thanks to superior German engineering). The result so far is pretty neat though. I also discovered that one of the paints that needs to be mixed up can be replaced with a color directly available in Revell's range without issues other than glossiness. As quite a bit of details rely on that mix, it'll make it a little easier and won't require as much mixing.
ImageImageImage

Smoke
Bringing back a classic
Princesses of Soul

Post by Smoke (?) » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:38 pm

Smoke wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:18 am
EDIT: Because I am a glutton for punishment I've picked up a third MisterCraft kit, this time covering a civil airplane. As it turns out there's at least two different boxings as mine only includes half the decals(with some minor printing issues) but I've seen reviews that had them all. This one actually has a label of the original, now defunct, manufacturer on the bottom of the included stand. It looks to be a bit better than the previous two, but not by much.
I hate doubleposting, but today I have to. I sent in a service request to MisterCraft through their website when I got this kit, and today I got a nice big envelope with a new decal sheet: Not only is this one perfectly in register, but it's also the complete one with all four options. On a second look I also understated the "minor printing issues" now that I have the new one: The decals and carrier film were quite out of register and smaller details were blobby as hell. I'd have liked at least some acknowledgement of my request beforehand though, as this came as a bit of a (pleasant) surprise.
ImageImageImage

Smoke
Bringing back a classic
Princesses of Soul

Post by Smoke (?) » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:06 am

Golf is proceeding as planned. The body, interior and bottom are now done, and it's time for the final stretch. The main thing with building scale model cars is that a lot of time goes into painting before assembly, followed by more painting after assembly. As a result, you spend quite a lot of time between building steps just preparing for the next step. Along with that, the paint instructions for this kit were outright wrong in a few bits so I had to check some reference materials to ensure that I was doing the right thing.

Right now I also have to finish deciding if I want an open or a closed top, I'm leaning more towards open top at the moment to show more of the interior.

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize
ImageImageImage

Smoke
Bringing back a classic
Princesses of Soul

Post by Smoke (?) » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:20 pm

And the Golf is done. The flash of my phone's camera makes it look quite a bit more orange than it is, in real life it's a nice shade of red.

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

I ended up making the open-top version as that's how I've seen them in real life most often. The end result is pretty nice and looks very close to a real Golf I Cabriolet. It's a pretty fun build too, but there are some parts where you'll have to look twice and fit before gluing everything down, or where the order is a bit misleading. I also ended up using reference pictures of the real thing since the instructions had actual mistakes in color callouts and detailing in a few parts. Decalling went pretty well, even if it was a bit annoying laying down large strips of chrome detailing. I did make a screwup with the license plates, originally I planned on using the Dutch ones but I discovered that I put one on upsidedown, and the other one got damaged while putting everything in place so I had to remove those and put on the Belgian ones.

Overall, recommended if you're a fan of the car itself, and even if you're not but you like th elook. There's two GTI versions also available that use the same base but obviously a different body and some other different parts. Just be careful that you don't buy Revell's Golf 2 as apparently that's a fairly dreadful kit. On the other hand, it does warn you beforehand on the box that it's a reissue of an 80s kit.

Next up, a small Imperial fighter craft. Not the one you might be thinking of at first. Along with that, I'm also building another 1/144 WW2 plane, this time a P-39Q Airacobra. I can't really start safely on any big kits as we'll be moving to a new house soon, and it'll be easier to transport small kits in progress rather than a large one. I'm already worried how I'm gonna transport some of the bigger kits I finished, especially the Hercules...
ImageImageImage

Smoke
Bringing back a classic
Princesses of Soul

Post by Smoke (?) » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:50 am

Well, it didn't take all that long but the TIE Interceptor's done. A pic of the interior first as only little of it remains visible after constructions and there's a very nice amount of detail in there. EDIT: Also added two pictures taken without flash to show the actual colors.

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

Overall this is a nice little kit. Painting can be a bit of a hassle due to the fact that the solar panels are molded into the wings, so there's some fun masking to be done there. There's a lot of detail to be found and painted, but unfortunately the interior detail's no longer very visible after building. As this kit also originated as a Snap-Tite prepainted kit, there are some traces left of that during construction and a lot of parts already snap into place relatively easily, only needing the glue to hold them down properly. There's a single decal included for the front window, but it doesn't sit down very well due to the geometry of said window, so I ended up painting that instead.

Next up, a Soviet-era passenger plane. First time I'm building a Zvezda kit, so this should be interesting. The instructions look decent enough so far, if a little bit more compressed than Revell.

In other modelling news, Revell has some neat stuff coming up soon, including the Bandai Millennium Falcon. The article also implies that more Bandai kits are going to follow which is always good thing, as importing them from Japan can get costly.

Also, I'd like to invite people to post in here more rather than just read, it's kinda weird being one of the few posting.
ImageImageImage

Smoke
Bringing back a classic
Princesses of Soul

Post by Smoke (?) » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:37 pm

Well, two weeks and I'm still the only one posting here... The Tupolev Tu-134A is now officially done, and it took less time than I thought. It's the first time I've ever built a Zvezda kit, and it makes me want to find a few more as it's very nicely done.

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

First two pictures are post-painting but pre-decals, you can see that the detail goes right into the engine turbines. I had to pick up some extra paint for this kit as there's a decent amount of gunmetal color used and Revell doesn't offer it in their assortment. Ended up picking Tamiya lacquer paint for this and the results are pretty dang great, even if the cleaning method's different than what I'm used to.

So, time for a short review: The kit overall is very nicely packed and presented, it offers both the 134-A as well as the 134-B3 versions both in Aeroflot livery. I ended up building the A version as I like the way the glass nose looks. Unfortunately, there is no interior detail whatsoever, not even a cockpit or anything which is kind of a bummer. On the other hand, it's a fairly rare subject with an interesting history (part of the design is taken straight from the Tu-16 heavy bomber) and despite the model having its first flight over 50 years ago, there are still 6 of them actively being used. The instructions have you pick between gear down without the stand, or gear up with the stand, but I combined both. The gear is nice but pretty fragile as I noticed during the build, and the stand provides a bit more safety as well as placement options with the limited space I have available at the moment. Instructions are clear, in both Russian and English with Zvezda's own colors being called out along with Humbrol equivalents, making it easy to find the right colors. There's a lot less steps than your average Revell kit, but so far I've noticed Revell just likes having a heck of a lot of tiny steps in their instructions. Some bits are tiny and fragile, but the end result is worth it and it's a fairly easy kit to build with some patience. The decals are all pretty great and align well with the body and the windows, even if the numbers on the top wing surface gave me a bit of trouble and required some minor cutting to get them to sit properly. Everything fits together very tightly, and even a slight layer of paint can cause fitting issues if you're not careful. I ended up trimming some things like the cockpit glass just to get it as cleanly in there as possible. Speaking of that, the transparent parts are kind of an oddity, as they are a lot more flexible than what I'm used to, and aren't nearly as fragile as the stuff other brands offer. Kinda nice, but also kinda weird.

Next up, I'm starting on a British-French attack aircraft in a very interesting livery. I mght actually have to put that one on hold as we're nearing the deadline for our house purchase, and we could very well be moving very soon as a result.
ImageImageImage

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:19 pm

I’m sorry I abandoned the thread. :flutterdear: On the plus side, my replacement part finally arrived from Bluefin/Bandai. Now I can finish building this kit sometime soon.

Smoke
Bringing back a classic
Princesses of Soul

Post by Smoke (?) » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:05 pm

Don't worry, I know this hobby is a bit niche and not many people are interested in it on the forums. I don't even know if anyone even reads it to be honest, but for me it's nice to get all excited and post about things like this. It sometimes feels weird being the only one for quite some time though.

Sidenote: The Jaguar is in the final decal stages, I expect to finish it sometime this week. Getting all the decals on is proving to be quite a challenge though, as they all need to align fairly closely.
ImageImageImage

Smoke
Bringing back a classic
Princesses of Soul

Post by Smoke (?) » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:43 pm

Took a bit longer than expected, but the Jaguar is done. It was a bit more work putting on the decals than expected, but the end result is worth it. The top of the plane gets pretty much entirely covered in orange leopardprint. Unfortunately not all of them always aligned as perfectly as I wanted, so there's some minor seams.

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

So, onto a short review: The kit goes well together pretty well, there's a decent amount of detailing going on and overall it's a pretty smooth build. There's some planning involved though, as the decals aren't really designed to go around everything, and you'll want to be able to manipulate the model as you decal it. As a result I put on the decals for the intakes last, giving me a good solid grip in the middle. I also ended up having to put a few small slices in some of the decals to make sure this ended up going well, and some parts were added after decalling. On the other hand, they're divided in such a way that they follow the part outlines making them easy to apply. There's some curving and overhang going on which will require a decent amount of decal softening fluid though, but a proper application of this will make the decals look painted on more than anything else. In total I spent three separate days on the decals themselves just to give them proper time to dry before starting on the next set.

As far as I can tell it's also a reasonably accurate representation of a Jaguar, and the airbrakes can be deployed for some additional detailing. Putting them in is a bit of a hassle though, as there are no natural angles for them to rest on requiring the installation of the hydraulics along with the brakes themselves. There's also a bunch of missiles included in the kit that aren't used for this build, just the drop tanks and rails are installed. The inside is detailed as well, but the thickness of the canopy prevents a good look at all the detail unless you build it in open position, and while the instrument panel has raised parts there's no decal included and the instructions just have you paint it black. I ended up drybrushing it with white just to show the outlines. Overall, a neat kit featuring a less common subject with a fun livery.

Next up, a trip to the east for a tiny version of a big plane: The MiG-31 Foxhound in 1:144. This one's roots as a kit go back to 1989, when details on what Soviet Russia was building were scarce, so it's not really all that accurate to the real deal. Still, it should be interesting to build.
ImageImageImage

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:49 am

Smoke wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:05 pm
Don't worry, I know this hobby is a bit niche and not many people are interested in it on the forums. I don't even know if anyone even reads it to be honest, but for me it's nice to get all excited and post about things like this. It sometimes feels weird being the only one for quite some time though.

Sidenote: The Jaguar is in the final decal stages, I expect to finish it sometime this week. Getting all the decals on is proving to be quite a challenge though, as they all need to align fairly closely.
I read it! I should post more because I like reading your posts about your building process and the end results. So you’re not posting to yourself, I’m just horrible at remembering to respond. I’m trying to finish up the Gundam Phenix Destroy Mode (not linked to Scalemates because they seem to be under maintenance). I’m trying to finish the detailing and the shields have these chain-link-type tails that are turning out to be a massive pain in the ass, so I keep taking breaks. They fall apart really easily and I’m trying to figure out how to fix that before I give up and just glue them into a static position.

The decals on the Jaguar came out really well. I’ve never seen a kit with that livery before. Maybe I should give an aircraft kit a try again. The last one I built was a B-17, but I can’t find what kit it was because A) it’s in storage and B) I built it like 14(?) years ago. But it was a fun, if challenging build.

Smoke
Bringing back a classic
Princesses of Soul

Post by Smoke (?) » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:23 pm

Keep in mind that there's a lot of variation when it comes to aircraft kits, not just in scale and size but also in level of detail. The MiG-31 I am working on for example was based on old visual reports and doesn't have a cockpit at all, and other manufacturers have a habit of releasing "classic" kits in a new box. One example is Revell's Vampire: There's reboxings of an old mold but also a reissue of a more modern mold from another manufacturer, and if you don't do the research but just look at the subject matter you run a risk of buying something that might turn you off from plane building. The same applies to other subjects of course: Do your research.

Anyway, had some time to finish a tiny kit:

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

P-39Q Airacobra in 1:144 scale, part of Revell's Micro Wings line, which is also a relatively older line originally. No cockpit, no internal details, but just tiny WW2-era planes in a variety of colors. I've built five of these so far and they're a fairly fun diversion.
ImageImageImage

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:53 pm

A small plane :allears: I’ve had the “no research” thing bite me before, when I bought some Revell or Monogram tank kit at a yard sale simply because I’d never built a tank. It was a WWII era US tank but it was long enough ago that I can’t remember anything other than how much it frustrated me. There were a bunch of warped panels and I ended up giving the whole thing away to someone much more patient than I am with fixing those sorts of problems.

They ended up putting it in the recycle bin :-I

Smoke
Bringing back a classic
Princesses of Soul

Post by Smoke (?) » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:42 am

I have yet to give up completely on a kit, although from time to time I do get rid of the older ones, mainly because of a lack of space.

Last night I finished the MiG-31.

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

It's a neat little kit, but inaccurate due to its age. It was made in an era when Soviet planes were only known from spy photos, and as a result some of the detail and dimensions are off. The decals try to rectify this, and the instructions use a pretty great picture of what the actual plane looks like, but the kit shows its age. It also lacks a cockpit and just has you paint the part covered by the canopy in black. Fortunately, at this scale there's not much detail in there to begin with and most of the canopy gets painted. I'll have to get a picture of it next to the MiG-25 Foxbat I made quite a while ago, as the MiG-31 design was based on the MiG-25 and was intended as its replacement. Overall, a neat little kit which is put together relatively quickly. The paintjob is in my view a bit on the boring side though.

Up next, I'm going back to the past. The status of this kit in my stash has started to bother me, so I'm finally sitting down to finish it. It'll need some minor repairs due to Leo-based damage, but nothing I cannot overcome, and I'm already noticing that my work has improved greatly since I started on it.
ImageImageImage

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:57 pm

It still looks good. The canopy would bother me at a larger scale too, but on that kit it looks fine.

Out of curiosity, how often have you encountered, say, a warped parts tree (not just piece) and had to deal with that?

Smoke
Bringing back a classic
Princesses of Soul

Post by Smoke (?) » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:37 pm

I've actually never encountered any warped sprues. I have however had to deal with damaged or ill-fitting parts, even out of the box. Depending on the part I either do my best to fix it (shaving it down or using filler) or replace it entirely with a similar or more accurate looking part. Hell, on the Black Hawk (Which is already almost done) I've had to replace a few missing bits already with stuff from my spare parts box. As I build more, I accumulate more spare parts, and they're also useful for paint testing.

For warped parts or sprues I've read that the best solution is hot water along with experimentation with unused parts or just bits of sprue to find the optimal temperature for straightening, as well as a method to hold the part in the correct shape as it cools down. Finding the right temperature depends highly on the plastic type though, and can vary not only between brands but even between models. My usual example is Revell here, as they release their kits in different colors of plastic, including the metallic-looking stuff, and they all have slightly varying temperatures. If you get a part too hot you risk melting it, so take it slow.
ImageImageImage

Smoke
Bringing back a classic
Princesses of Soul

Post by Smoke (?) » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:34 pm

After over a year of putting it on hold, I finally finished the Black Hawk that I got from drunkill as a Secret Celestia present all the way back in 2016. During its construction Leo got a hold of the main rotor and it got damaged. I also got burned out on the kit a bit as a result of having to redo already-completed parts and having built too many helicopters with similar colors in a short period of time, and ever since then it's been in an incomplete status in a shoebox next to the rest of my stash. When trying to pick something to start on after the MiG, I just couldn't resist it anymore and resumed work on it, plowing through everything that needed to be done in two days.

As a result, it's kind of a hybrid in terms of build quality and I had to do some fixups, cleanups and other things, including creating some bits from scratch. It still looks pretty decent though, but I can tell the difference between my level at the time and where I am now. There are some parts that are still a bit shiny in the pictures as I touched up the paint right before taking these pictures, but they will no longer be visible once it dries.

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

I'm just glad I can finally remove it from my list of started kits. As for a brief review, I still remember part of the building process from back then so that helps. It's a pretty good kit, but kind of shows its age due to having raised panel lines for details as well some of them not matching the real helicopter. Everything still goes together pretty well, but the instructions need some work. In a style that I'm getting used to from Italeri there are incorrect details, as well as colors for some parts (such as the Hellfire missiles, which also have incorrect decals if I'm perfectly honest) not mentioned in the instructions whatsoever. Thankfully Revell also released this mold in their line, and the instructions there are a bit more comprehensive and complete. It offers three possible builds, but I went for the US version as it comes nicely equipped with a big stash of weapons. Options include being able to build it with open doors as well as including machine guns that can be added, so there is a decent amount of variation. I'd say it's worth a look if the subject interests you.

Next up, I'm building a rather unusual plane, with a few firsts for me. It's the 1:32 Revell Heinkel He-162A-2 Salamander. I bought this back in 2017 as a birthday present for myself and it's been in the stash ever since. This is the first time I'm building an aircraft in this massive scale (even if it's a relatively small one) and the amount of detail looks great. It's also the first German WW2 plane I'm building. I still have to decide on which of the two included colorschemes I'll be doing, but I will build it gear-down with the turbojet panels open as I cannot resist having some nice detailing visible rather than having it covered up. It might take a while to finish though, as I'm going on a vacation in less than two weeks and we're almost done buying a house.

EDIT: I just spent half an hour painting just one color of the kit, which is used for the wheel wells and panel insides. This is gonna be a bit more work than I expected, but a great excuse to start using my new fancy big brushes.
ImageImageImage

Captain Rufus
Faithful Students

Post by Captain Rufus (?) » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:50 am

I still flip through here from time to time for whatever its worth.

Smoke
Bringing back a classic
Princesses of Soul

Post by Smoke (?) » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:58 pm

Slight update on the Salamander, as it's been a month since I started, even if I spent two weeks of that time on vacation: The cockpit is pretty much done, and it's almost time to assemble the fuselage halves. There's a heck of a lot of detail in this kit overall down to multiple decals in the cockpit, and the instructions have been slightly vague at some points causing me to have to repaint tiny bits of plastic. I'd have put the fuselage together today, if I hadn't noticed by chance that I made a mistake with the gun ports: I followed the paint instructions from the second colorscheme offered while I'd been planning to do the first. This meant I had to carefully remove the seat and the already-installed guns so I could fix this. Luckily I can just glue them back in tomorrow when the paint is dry and then touch up the insides where needed.

I could have also just gone for the second scheme but I kinda prefer the first one. Picked up some RLM 76 during my vacation too along with some other paints, so I won't have to mix that color myself, and it might come in handy for future German WW2 warplanes. It's also fun to do a whole lot of research to verify if my interpretation of the instructions is correct.
ImageImageImage

Smoke
Bringing back a classic
Princesses of Soul

Post by Smoke (?) » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:38 pm

And some images. The wings or engine aren't glued down yet, they're just there to show progress. The cockpit alone contains 8 decals or so, and they'll all be barely visible once the canopy is there.

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

Next steps are mainly finishing the outside, adding the engine covers and other panels, the rear wheels and the canopy, then finalizing the detailing.
ImageImageImage

Smoke
Bringing back a classic
Princesses of Soul

Post by Smoke (?) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:56 pm

Well, it's been quiet here because I haven't really had time to continue on this kit yet. We're almost done with our move into a new house, and today I moved almost all of the kits. Only a few lost a part that's easily glued back on, and due to the way I transported them I could easily locate the missing bits. All that's left is the C-130 Hercules, the 1912 Ford and the tugboat due to their sizes.

Once I'm settled in and have set up my new workspace, I'll share a few pictures.
ImageImageImage

Smoke
Bringing back a classic
Princesses of Soul

Post by Smoke (?) » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:13 pm

The move is over (and has been for three weeks now) but the new workspace is only mostly complete. There's still a bunch of boxes to unpack and a bed to disassemble (still looking for some of my tools) and move, for now the frame is just up against a wall.

I've also had to put the Salamander on hold as I seem to have misplaced the decal sheet. I might soon finish the actual construction and put on the decals once I find those again though, but in the meantime I've also gotten started on the Italeri F-104G Starfighter I picked up last year. It's going to be the Dutch version offered in the box.

As promised, have some pictures. Light is provided by a nice 4000K 60W equivalent LED bulb and the Ikea LED strip I had before. The LED strip is the kind where you can change the color which helps a lot to check coverage.

Click for Fullsize

One of two cabinets already present in the house, so far it's empty but has a good amount of surface space for completed kits.

Click for Fullsize

And the other one. Shown here are most of the models that moved with us, I had to repair a bunch of them as small parts came off in transit.

Click for Fullsize

This cabinet is already in use, it's a good size and I use the separate drawers to make everything easily accessible for the kits I'm working on. There's plenty of room in the bottom ones to keep partially-completed kits.

Click for Fullsize

And the desk itself. I've got pretty much my entire stash on there, and it's now laid out so everything is in reach. I'm gonna have to build a lightbox though so I can take good pictures of completed kits.
ImageImageImage

Smoke
Bringing back a classic
Princesses of Soul

Post by Smoke (?) » Sun May 26, 2019 4:21 pm

Well, it's been a while since this topic saw any posts, and I am only halfway done with the Starfighter. Preparing to be a dad takes more time than expected, and I haven't been in the mood to build as often as I used to either. Gonna pick the pace back up though, and I picked up two interesting kits last weekend:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/italeri ... le--994274

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/trumpet ... -l--103522

Both should prove to be quite interesting, once I get around to them. I still have a bit of a pile of unbuilt kits lying around, but I will get around to starting a new one the moment the Starfighter is done, most likely the RX-7 that Mr Big got me for Secret Celestia. Gonna be the first Fujimi kit I've ever built, and I've heard good stuff.
ImageImageImage

Smoke
Bringing back a classic
Princesses of Soul

Post by Smoke (?) » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:14 am

Pace has been picked up: I spent the last two days finishing the Starfighter. On saturday I spent about 3 hours decalling it, and today I just added the final touch. First kit assembled in the new house, and still done before the birth of our first child.

Click for Fullsize

First few decals have gone on, nothing too spectacular yet. Note the nosecone being incomplete, as this is a fragile part and decalling requires a lot of handling I decided to leave it off until I was done.

Click for Fullsize

And the full version. There's a lot of tiny details to be found, but overall it's not a very daunting amount of decals compared to some other kits in this scale.

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

So, onto a kit review. This is an older Italeri kit which honestly isn't really apparent until you notice certain details about the way the sprues are constructed. There's still a ton of detail though, and everything fits together smoothly. In this specific boxing, there's seven possible ways to finish it: five Italian, one German and one Dutch, althoug the Italian versions are just small variations of eachother. Being Dutch myself, I obviously had to build the Dutch version. I had planned to make it with open airbrakes but the parts keeping those in position managed to be fragile enough that they didn't survive attempting to put it together. In the end I'm kinda glad I didn't, as the red stripe on the tail goes straight across them and I'd have had to cut up the decal for that.

Speaking of decals and finishing, there's a few minor mistakes in the instructions: The Dutch Starfighters didn't have roundels on both sides of both wings but instead followed the US pattern of left wing top and right wing bottom, thankfully the decal sheet is correct here as it only provides two roundels. The color for this version is also wrong, as the original Dutch Starfighters were painted in RAL7001 instead of the FS tint of grey listed. Along with that, there's an Orpheus pod included for the recon versions of the plane (the RF-104G), which does fit with the other options but not with this specific plane. The RF-104G was used by the Netherlands for recon purposes, but the 322nd never flew with one. Beacuse of this I just equipped it with the drop tanks.

Overall, it's a nice kit that needs some minor research depending on the version you're building, and the Orpheus pod is going into my spare parts box. The instructions are typical Italeri in that it always looks like they leave out half of the painting instructions though, which is an area where I prefer Revell.

Next up, as promised, is this kit that I got from a certain ponygoon for Secret Celestia, the Mazda RX-7. I've been thinking about the color I'll paint it in, but I've decided to go for the standard gloss black. First time I'm building a Fujimi kit, but so far it looks like it'll go together quickly and smoothly, especially as it's a kit with no engine block for a change.

Click for Fullsize
ImageImageImage

Smoke
Bringing back a classic
Princesses of Soul

Post by Smoke (?) » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:48 pm

And a few weeks later it's done. The fact that there's no engine detailing taking a few days helped a lot here, as did properly dividing the work. I ended up going for the version as boxed for decal purposes.

This is a fairly interesting kit of a nice subject. The Mazda RX-7 has its fair share of fans and still looks great even after all these years. The version pictured here is the A-Spec version, which differs from the base version in a few ways, such as the spoiler and sides.

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

Click for Fullsize

The other car is not a model kit, but a 1:24 Transformer, it's Binaltech Laserwave who turns into an RX-8 Mazdaspeed. Makes for a nice combination.

Onto a review: As said the kit lacks an engine, opening hood, trunk or doors but it's not an issue at all. If anything it means construction goes quite a bit faster. Just like the Revell cars I've already built the construction consists of three main components: The chassis with the wheels, the "tub" of interior and the body that's popped on afterwards, with the glass in a single part. Rather than gluing this down it just clips onto the chassis so it's possible to remove it later on. The wheels pop on nicely using vinyl plugs so there's no gluing there either, and the rear axle is a metal pin that's barely visible afterwards. Everything fits together well and looks pretty dang great. The decals are pretty amazing as well, they go on smoothly and stick very nicely to the finished car. The license plate is actually made up of the bare plate with numbers and dashes included as separate bits, and I have no idea how correct the end result is.

It's a kit that's designed for re-releases though as there are quite a few spare parts left over: It actually comes with three different steering wheels and two sets of windshield wipers, as well as various exhaust bits and bobs. According to Scalemates it's been released in various configurations as well but there's not too much information to be found.

Next up I'm starting on a 1:144 airplane again, the Sukhoi Su-47 as released by Revell a few years back. Should be small and interesting.
ImageImageImage

Smoke
Bringing back a classic
Princesses of Soul

Post by Smoke (?) » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:16 pm

Two kits this time, it's been a while since I had time to build and the Su-47 took a bit of drying so in the meantime I built both the largest vehicle I ever built as a kit in the smallest scale I ever built one.

First off, the Su-47.

Review: As you can see in the final picture the actual plane is really quite big next to that F-16, and 1:144 even captures this. It goes together well, there are no fitting issues, but the paint guide is a bit inaccurate. I took some of the color guidance from the 1:72 release, especially where the landing gear is concerned. Decals are nice and easy to work with, they go on well and for a change there were no issues with the ones that needed to be folded over. A good application of Micro-Set helped here too. One issue I did have is with the front canards: They're linked up through the body of the plane, but the rod connecting them is rather fragile.

I also completed this guy:

Revell's Imperial Star Destroyer in 1:12300. Yes, it's a tiny representation of a huge craft. It was released first a few years ago as a pre-painted snap-together kit, but as with a lot of those Revell has also released it as a normal kit with some minor modifications. It's unlikely I'll ever find or build something in-scale with it though. It's kind of a dull kit to build in terms of paint as it's almost entirely the same shade of grey, with the only variation being the engines (green and white) and the stand (gloss black). There's also just one decal in the entire kit: The Imperial symbol to put on the front of the stand. Still, it's a quick and nice build and certainly more budget- and shelfspace-friendly than some other Star Destroyers out there.

Next up, I'm actually building a presidential plane. The Lockheed Constellation, as Columbine III, one of Eisenhower's planes. The kit requires a decent amount of filling window gaps as the actual window layout is different from the mold. This applies to both versions that the kit can be built into, so I decided to go for the more interesting variation. It'll also need a decent amount of masking, but I'm already taking care of that prior to building.
ImageImageImage

Smoke
Bringing back a classic
Princesses of Soul

Post by Smoke (?) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:36 am

Small update as the thread's been moved: The Constellation is coming along nicely although only the fuselage is complete at this point. The reason for this is that in this version, a bunch of the windows premolded in the kit are closed off and replaced with other windows represented by decals in different spots.

Just getting those holes filled took a bit of time and effort, and I did it the wrong way too: The instructions have you install transparent plastic for the windows first which is then covered up, while I instead masked off the holes and completely filled them with putty, which was then sanded down. Next step is masking and painting the wings, as it'll be easier to do with them not attached.
ImageImageImage

Smoke
Bringing back a classic
Princesses of Soul

Post by Smoke (?) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:36 pm

Well, the Columbine is now down to painting and adding the propellors and a decent amount of tiny antennas, after which I can decal it and it'll be done!

Some in-progress shots to give a taste of the amount of work that's already gone into it.

While I was building it I also decided to take care of a smaller kit I bought a while ago, the German WW2 battleship Gneisenau:

It's a 1:1200 waterline model, originally released in 1977, and is available as both Gneisenau and Scharnhorst, with the only differences being the paint scheme and the decals. It kind of shows its age as most of the detail and parts are chunky as heck and painting is a bit of a hassle because of it: The deck itself is a mix of actual deck and some raised bits that are later built upon. On the plus side, there's two teeny tiny Arados included which are kind of cute in their own way. I just freehanded this one without much care about masking as it's just a tiny kit anyway. The turrets are moveable if you don't glue them down, but the smaller side turrets can't rotate properly due to ship parts getting in the way, which is kind of a letdown. Overall a neat way to spend time waiting for better kits to dry, but that's about it, or if you're into wargaming and need a battleship at this scale.

I'm starting another side-along build now though, one that's been in my stash for quite some time now: The Bell 204 in its Dutch Royal Navy version. Not the first time I'm building a Huey, although this version is completely different compared to the one I did before.
ImageImageImage

Smoke
Bringing back a classic
Princesses of Soul

Post by Smoke (?) » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:19 pm

And the Constellation is done! I was gonna do the antenna wire on top as well, but the parts wouldn't really cooperate and came loose unfortunately, so I ended up removing them. Also turns out the weight I added in the nose wasn't sufficient to keep it from being a taildragger, so I plan on eventually mounting it to a nice base. For the pictures I kinda cheated with a tin of paint.

As you may recall, this kit has you close off a few windows and create new ones with decals. This is prior to any decals going on, except for the ones in the cockpit that nobody will ever see again:

Some windows have appeared!

And after an hour or two more decalling this is the end result:

So, a brief overview. The kit can be built as a MATS aircraft too, not just the Columbine III, although this does require some different windows being closed off and some other details being worked on. You have to decide on which version you plan to build right from the start, so you can't change your mind halfway through or build first and decide at the painting stage. The MATS version is painted in aluminium rather than silver, so it'll look different in terms of color too. Overall it's a neat kit, everything goes together very well. I was just stupid enough to close off the windows before installing the transparent plastic so I had to use a bit more filler and had to cut the plastic parts to size, but overall the result looks good. The decals are less work than they seem but a few of them are the annoying thin line with some angles kind which had me fight them for a bit as they never seem to want to lie down correctly. The propellers were also a bit annoying in that you're putting 24 decals on them and the ones on the tips don't want to seem to stay on. You're left with a decent amount of excess decals no matter which variant you choose as well.

Minor annoyances I almost forgot to mention: Some parts are fragile as heck, two rotor blades from the propellers snapped off and I had to glue them back in place while they were still on the sprue. Some other parts also tried to come off during decalling but were glued back into place once I had time.

So this kit has taken a bit longer than I planned/expected, can't believe it's taken me three months to finish. Let's hope the next one will go a bit faster as I have a promise to keep. Those of you who have kept up with the Secret Celestia thread will know that I mentioned in there that I'd build whatever I got as soon as it was time to start on a new kit, so I'll get started on the Volkswagen Type 2 T3 Westfalia Joker. Gonna go stock for this one, but I will have to decide on how to build the roof area: Open like the boxart or closed? Currently leaning towards open to be honest, and I'll keep the side door opened as well to show all that lovely interior detail.

EDIT: Have a pic of the sprues and decals. While it's only 80 parts, they're big enough to take up a nice amount of space.

ImageImageImage

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:56 am

Excited to see you build the gift :yay:
Image /// Image /// Image

Smoke
Bringing back a classic
Princesses of Soul

Post by Smoke (?) » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:04 pm

Well, it's gonna take a while to finish but the first steps are already underway. As usual I checked the entire instructions beforehand, and discovered I had to drill 80 holes in the kit. Sounds like much, but it isn't. The rims for the four wheels each have 20 spots that needed to be drilled out, as molding those isn't easy. Thankfully they were molded in such a way that it's just a matter of getting out my drill and drilling.

60 of the 80 are done here, and I finished the remaining ones afterwards. Took about five minutes per wheel including cleanup afterwards.

Along with that, the kit starts you off with the engine on the bottom. As the kit is already of age it's not as detailed as others I've done, but there's still enough to put in a bit of work. I also got started on painting various other bits as this will speed up progress overall.

I've also decided to continue on the Salamander. The missing decals I can add on later, and there's really not as much as I feared I was missing. Still on the lookout for that sheet, maybe it'll turn up in the end. But at least I'll have some room in my projects drawer as it's getting a bit cramped, and that means I can also work on bigger kits again after these are done.
ImageImageImage