Equestria Girls: Sunset the Protagonist Edition

here a forum about pony (General Pony Talk)

Moderators: Wayoshi, Venusy

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Re: Equestria Girls: Sunset the Protagonist Edition

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:51 pm

Lots of new shorts.

This should go to the playlist, with the best one playing first.

:modesty: It's a Fluttershy song.

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:06 am

Turf War - That arm punch. Definitely more chemistry between Timber and Applejack than between him and SciTwi. Plus, you know, they're actually talking about things besides trivia. But yeah, this was eh. And I'm not sure playing up Timber's vain side makes him more endearing.

Friendship Math - Pinkie thinking Twilight eats books is good. Twilight and Pinkie's interactions as Twilight figured things out were cute. The conflict and ending was pretty dumb.

The Last Day of School - Wait, time progresses?! Also, confirms they aren't seniors. Wow, these are tiny classes. Weird that Dash would get so bored with the Daring Do movie. This was a dumb ending too, though Twilight hugging her books is cute.

Outtakes - Fluttershy failing to talk in front of the camera is cute. Though how did Twilight make that out of the footage Fluttershy filmed? Not sure what the point was.

Pinkie Pie: Snack Psychic - Flash has a big test? So this is before "The Last Day of School"? Huh, Twilight and Flash talking turned out to be less significant than I thought. The part with Rarity was cute. And this was another short that didn't really have a point.

As for the songs, they're good, especially "So Much More to Me". I'm not quite sure where it ranks among Fluttershy songs, but it's the only one where she gets to really belt it out. One thing to note is that both of these were made by Mason Rather rather than Daniel Ingram, and these are the first non-Ingram G4 songs I've been impressed by.

In the end, the songs were the only really worthwhile shorts in this set.

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:40 am

whoops
Last edited by The Doctor on Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:45 am

[deleted]
Last edited by Adiwan on Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:32 pm

Uh, wrong topic.

Auxiliatrix

Post by Auxiliatrix (?) » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:51 pm

I should really be keeping up with these shorts, but I still haven't felt much of a need to. After I watched a couple and was left somewhat mixed by them, I haven't returned since. However, in light of "Forgotten Friendship", I'll probably give them one more try, especially given how many have been released by now.

Life in one image. Interpret as you wish.

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:08 pm

New special aired today.

It's about 50% Rarijack, 10% Flutterdash, and 40% rehashing the stupid plot from Mirror Magic.

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:14 am

Wow, no one else, huh? Guess I'll c/p my post.

Rollercoaster of Friendship
Wow, this really is shippy as hell. Applejack and Rarity went out of their way to get jobs together for reasons, they're holding hands, they're giving each other all kinds of glances throughout, Applejack is super jealous as soon as Rarity calls Vignette her "best friend at the park", and of course there's the blushing.

I liked the sequences of Sunset/Twilight and Rainbow/Fluttershy hanging out at the park, especially with some great smug and annoyed Twilight. Rainbow getting scared of the roller coaster while Fluttershy wasn't was expected, but I liked how Fluttershy called her brave after. Wasn't a big fan of Pinkie's parts.

That part about 20 minutes in where Applejack just went up to everyone asking if they saw Fluttershy was pretty dragged out, and her being allowed into the security room was pretty contrived. And Applejack, couldn't you have filmed the security footage or something? Her declaration that Vignette was evil was probably even more ill-advised than Twilight in "A Canterlot Wedding".

I was glad to see Rarity realized she could just block Vignette's camera with her magic, but it seems like she could have easily taken her camera by herself. Her and Applejack apologizing was like hyper shipping fuel.

It turning out everyone was just teleported to a random white room was funny, but it really really undermines Vignette's threat. Plus, why didn't Fluttershy's phone work, then? And Twilight could have just called Applejack normally?

Rarity randomly bringing up Sweetie Belle being in the crowd is probably a reference to a cut scene that will be in the YouTube version. She is in the crowd at climax, but they didn't establish earlier that she was in the park.

The final song itself, "Photo Booth", is eh. From the credits, it looks like the songwriter is new.

I'd say the first half and the montage during the song was fun, but the second half was pretty bad aside from Rarity getting the final attack... against a phone she could have easily knocked out of Vignette's hand with normal magic.

Captain Rufus
Faithful Students

Post by Captain Rufus (?) » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:37 am

It was ok. Inoffensive but not really memorable at all.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:20 am

I’m still trying to catch up with stuff I didn’t watch during my last hell year in college, so I got around to the Magical Movie Night DVD. I liked the first two shorts much better than the third, especially the second one because it was basically an episode of Scooby-Doo with SciTwi as Velma. I’m easy to please, so Rainbow Dash being a huge nerdy nuisance on set and Pinkie and Spike eating all the fancy imported crunch bars also amused me.

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:25 am

Auxiliatrix

Post by Auxiliatrix (?) » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:44 pm

I finally saw "Rollercoaster of Friendship", and, while it is severely flawed, I can't say I disliked it. One of the strengths of Equestria Girls, in my opinion, has always been the comedy, and I think there is enough comedy in the special to keep it entertaining when the particularly "bad" bits hit. :pinkieshrug:

The most interesting part of the special, for me, was the character of Vignette. I say "interesting" because I was often quite conflicted on whether she was good or not. On one hoof, she has a couple of the episode's best lines while simultaneously providing a little bit of a critique on the "vapid" nature of online media. On the other hoof, many of her lines made me cringe, and as a villain, she is pretty one-note.

The climax is kind of a mess, but I didn't have a huge problem with the dynamic between Rarity and Applejack. I thought it was a little forced at times (like during the climax), but I don't think it ever crossed any major lines or went particularly out-of-character.

The comedy was mostly great, even if it was filler. Rainbow and Fluttershy had some great scenes, Sunset's investment in the game was entertaining, and I really love the moments with "stressed Rarity". It did feel like this special could've used some of those comedy scenes, however, to maybe make a better climax/develop the villain more.

All in all, it was... mediocre, I suppose. "Forgotten Friendship" was fantastic, and while I didn't expect this special to live up to that, I do wish this had turned out at least a little better.

I am curious to see what Equestria Girls does next. :-P

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:51 pm

New rarity song suddenly appeared on Youtube.

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:40 pm

Finally, a brand new short! The title card was part of the leak, but I'm pretty sure the short itself wasn't, since people thought the title referred to the upcoming special where they go to Ponyland.

This short is pretty clearly going for an actual modern music video look, and the song even reminds me of things like "Fight Song". The problem is, I'm not a huge fan of songs like that.

The visuals were pretty good, given what it was going for. Except for the parts with that dress, that is. When it showed Rarity looking at pony drawings and then diving through a mirror, I thought we'd get her turning into a pony (since she might not in the special), but instead, we got the carousel dress. The other dresses were nice, though. The one in the thumbnail makes me think that's how Rarity would dress in the Fist of the North Star world. Wait, I have an idea for a video...

Given how the EQG designs went out of their way not to be sexy, some of the shots in this short surprised me. I suppose that "#bangs" scene from Rollercoaster of Friendship provides precedence, now.

As far as Rarity music videos go, "Life is a Runway" is better, but this is still fine. Looking forward to the other music videos this month (they're always released in blocks), and here's hoping they aren't posted all at once on the Discovery Go app like all the previous times.

EDIT: Made this.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:48 am

EqG comics are being reprinted in Japan, with cover art by Gurihiru (the team who did the art on Gwenpool and The Unstoppable Wasp).

Cover art:

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:52 am

Oh heck that's adorable art :allears:
Image /// Image /// Image

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:01 pm

Season 2 has started.

This short was eh.
It's literally just an unboxing video, with the "funny" part being that it's dog stuff. And the punchline is that Twilight forces him to return it.

Captain Rufus
Faithful Students

Post by Captain Rufus (?) » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:02 pm

And it had a sock. Dogs do love socks.

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:58 pm

New Trixie short is oddly short and lacking in jokes. As it turns out, this short was among the leaked animatics from December 2017, and it was three times as long there. What we got is only the last third. The first two parts involve Trixie trying to perform magic with Pinkie and messing up. First a "pick a card" trick fails, and then Trixie makes a cupcake disappear by eating it. Pinkie demands it back. There is also a part at the end where Pinkie demands her cupcake back again while floating with SciTwi's magic.

As for why it was cut down, apparently Hasbro told them that the shorts had to be two minutes or less after the animatic was made, and the best way to do that here was to cut it down to one minute.

Looking at the other shorts in this series, perhaps she meant 2 and a half minutes?

Auxiliatrix

Post by Auxiliatrix (?) » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:13 pm

Not sure if anybody has spoken about this yet, but some details for the third Equestria Girls one-hour special were released awhile back, and the direction the synopsis suggests the special will go in is... interesting.

I don't know this thread's mandate on spoilers, but I would like to hear people's opinion on it, so I'll just leave the link to the article I found below.

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2019/02/ ... kdown.html

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:15 am

That's fine, since it's just the official synopsis. Besides, we knew the general story for a while, thanks to a convention trailer.

AmericanErrorist

Post by AmericanErrorist (?) » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:54 am

Shorts that haven't been posted yet:

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:36 pm

To be continued...

But...
This one's too young

AmericanErrorist

Post by AmericanErrorist (?) » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:19 am

Moar shorts.

The thrilling conclusion:

This one was released last week on Discovery Family Go:

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:28 am

But...
This one's too young

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:53 am

I liked that one a lot.

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:18 pm

But...
This one's too young

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:30 pm

There was a 44 minute special today called "Spring Breakdown"

That was a fun little adventure.

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:09 pm

Spring Breakdown was...okay. A lot of the gags were on point but the whole gimmick of sending Twily and RD to Equestria was beyond wasted. There was ONE moment where two RD's were on screen and then the only reason RD was even around was because she saw the Storm King icon earlier. And then they just sit around talking (though the table full of things from previous seasons like the Staff of Sameness, Boneless, and the phoenix feather from S1 was fun) until they realize they probably should do something about the ship getting absolutely destroyed. And...they do. It's over rather quickly and then one last gag with Equestria and that's it.

I mean, how do you have the chance to have TWO Rainbow Dashes and you don't have them try to race each other?
ImageImageImageImageImage

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:51 pm

Kronos wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:09 pm
Spring Breakdown was...okay. A lot of the gags were on point but the whole gimmick of sending Twily and RD to Equestria was beyond wasted. There was ONE moment where two RD's were on screen and then the only reason RD was even around was because she saw the Storm King icon earlier. And then they just sit around talking (though the table full of things from previous seasons like the Staff of Sameness, Boneless, and the phoenix feather from S1 was fun) until they realize they probably should do something about the ship getting absolutely destroyed. And...they do. It's over rather quickly and then one last gag with Equestria and that's it.

I mean, how do you have the chance to have TWO Rainbow Dashes and you don't have them try to race each other?

I'm mixed.

Yeah, it could have gotten them to Equestria faster and spent more time there.

On the other hand, every one of the "we don't need to hurry back" "THEY NEED TO HURRY BACK!" jokes was great.

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:57 pm

Yeah, this special was honestly pretty bad, mainly thanks to Rainbow possibly being at her most annoying, pony or human. Not that the others were up to much; Rarity's shopping spree in particular was obvious padding. It's a lot like "Mirror Magic", in that it completely wasted the fun parts of its premise and kept cutting to less interesting stuff. Also like that, the fun parts were still fun.

Why the trailers had scenes that weren't in the special:
Christian suess
‏ @Christiansuess2
5h5 hours ago

@isitlunchyet_t what happened to those spring breakdown scenes that were shown in the promos where the mane 7 were dancing and that first song that was shown in the san diego comic con trailer ?

K.Hadley
‏ @isitlunchyet_t
Replying to @Christiansuess2

They were from a different piece of content. Those promos are often mash ups of many different episodes to get people hyped
10:35 AM - 30 Mar 2019
Why Spike didn't have wings:
Christian suess
‏ @Christiansuess2
2h2 hours ago

@isitlunchyet_t i also saw in the special that spike doesn't have his wings does this special takes place between the movie and season 8

K.Hadley
‏ @isitlunchyet_t
Replying to @Christiansuess2

We didn’t know spike was getting wings when we made the special. So I suppose yes.
12:54 PM - 30 Mar 2019
EDIT: Also, giving Rarity a male love interest? After "Rollercoaster of Friendship"? And he even looks like a male Irish Applejack? Getting real mixed signals here, Hasbro...

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:04 pm

The Doctor wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:51 pm
I'm mixed.

Yeah, it could have gotten them to Equestria faster and spent more time there.

On the other hand, every one of the "we don't need to hurry back" "THEY NEED TO HURRY BACK!" jokes was great.
I think they easily could have trimmed time on the ship (maybe trim some of the stuff on the ship between losing power and RD sailing off to the island, it felt kinda rehashy of the stuff from earlier) to make room for more Equestria stuff without trimming the back-and-forth stuff with the table and the ship flooding.

But really, once Sci-Twi gets over the whole 'we're ponies' bit, the only other time they acknowledge she was never a pony is her trouble with telekinesis in eating the fondue. RD is able to fly right off the bat as well and doesn't ever demonstrate problems with going from a biped to a quadreped - something even Sunset, who was BORN a pony, briefly had when she returned in Mirror Magic and had to get used to the existence of telekinesis and non-bipedal walking in front of Starlight.

However, Sunset also did make a horsey noise, so :crack:

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:10 pm

They could have cut the whole subplot about Rainbow Dash looking for evil Equestrian Magic given that they end up facing evil Equestrian magic again.

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:46 pm

The Doctor wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:10 pm
They could have cut the whole subplot about Rainbow Dash looking for evil Equestrian Magic given that they end up facing evil Equestrian magic again.
I feel like Sunset could have easily just shut that down given she went through something similar with Mirror Magic, where she was freaking out about having to worry about loose magic all the time (RD's only difference was she was actively looking for a fight with magic).

Captain Rufus
Faithful Students

Post by Captain Rufus (?) » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:08 am

That was a good bit of fun. Not exactly mind blowing but Rainbow Rocks was the high point and possibly one for both versions of our horsies so it's a bit unfair to expect everything to even get close.

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:28 am

But...
This one's too young

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Sat May 25, 2019 12:42 am

DHX is ending production of Equestria Girls

She talked about a ton of stuff on Twitter in replies, but I'd like to highlight this "official fan art"

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Sat May 25, 2019 11:30 pm

Katrina Hadley has been saying a ton on Twitter.

Of note, she's confirmed that Ragamuffin from Spring Breakdown was designed as a Male Applejack, and that the crew was indeed deliberately shipping Rarijack in Rollercoaster of Friendship.

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:02 pm

But...
This one's too young

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:59 am

Backstage Pass has some interesting morals:

Food is more important than friendship.
Enable your friend's food addiction.
Social engineer and manipulate for your success.

It was quite good and I'd wished Sunset had some more sinister moments like ones in Groundhog day.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams