Equestria Girls: Sunset the Protagonist Edition

here a forum about pony (General Pony Talk)

Moderators: Wayoshi, Venusy

Juju&Lulu

Equestria Girls: Sunset the Protagonist Edition

Post by Juju&Lulu (?) » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:17 am

Equestria Girls is getting a web series on YouTube, and it begins November 17th. Pretty much what we know is there will be 45 episodes or varying length (no hard set on runtime) and there will apparently be a "Choose Your Own Adventure" element to them.

The trailer shows cameos from several FiM characters (Zephyr Breeze is back and might be older than Fluttershy in this), and more focus will be put on the girls' role as heroes using the powers they gained in Legend of Everfree.

I've been enjoying the Equestria Girls content this year, so here's hoping the YouTube series is a success like Hanazuki has apparently been. Also more Sunset Shimmer is never a bad thing.

Last edited by Juju&Lulu on Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Rufus
Faithful Students

Re: Equestria Girls YouTube Series: Premieres Nov 17th

Post by Captain Rufus (?) » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:12 pm

More Shimmy is always good. And dork ass T Sparks. Though hopefully less of her creepy hippy possible boyfriend who seems like he should be showing some card to the main human in the 2 most recent Transformer movies.

Though watching Brad get shot down was funny. Sorry dude your interest is a horsie princess and also probably would need such a card.

Said cards are bad and creepy and wtf Michael Bay how did you think was a good idea Jesus Christ.

Soft Snow

Post by Soft Snow (?) » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:30 pm

It is interesting that they are getting rid of the time restraints. Now they should have as much time as they want to develop the story. No need to rush the pace now, story writers.
:allears:
If I had a bit for every time you made me feel worthless I'd be worth something by now.

Big Boss
A tourist trap that can surpass Mystery Shack?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:13 pm

Juju&Lulu wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:17 am

Equestria Girls is getting a web series on YouTube, and it begins November 17th. Pretty much what we know is there will be 45 episodes or varying length (no hard set on runtime) and there will apparently be a "Choose Your Own Adventure" element to them.

The trailer shows cameos from several FiM characters (Zephyr Breeze is back and might be older than Fluttershy in this), and more focus will be put on the girls' role as heroes using the powers they gained in Legend of Everfree.

I've been enjoying the Equestria Girls content this year, so here's hoping the YouTube series is a success like Hanazuki has apparently been. Also more Sunset Shimmer is never a bad thing.

That trailer is using old Celestia Medium and that makes me irrationally angry in TYOOL 2017.

Juju&Lulu

Post by Juju&Lulu (?) » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:36 pm

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2017/11/ ... s.html?m=0

Four new shorts are out. The title card is the same for the YouTube series and their outfits are updated, so these are probably a part of it.

They're each pretty cute in their own ways. Honestly, the one where Pinkie babysits is probably the cutest.

Also Sunset is a gaming nerd. She continues to be the best.
Last edited by Juju&Lulu on Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:35 am

The new (short) intro is alright. We already know from the trailer that there's a longer version, presumably in front of the longer episodes.

School of Rock - This was decent. They leaned a bit too hard on Maud using puns for her jokes; we've seen she's better than that! A significant chunk of this short was devoted to Maud being boring, so the short itself does lean toward the boring side. Plus, would the people there really be that impressed by the girls' magic when they use them all the time? It looks like with these shorts, they now list the writer in the end credits. This short's writer was GM Berrow.

A Fine Line - Kind of dull, especially with all the time spent on background humans no one cares about, but Fluttershy's desire for revenge was pretty good. Despite the episode description, it actually is spelled Tirek, so no need to update wiki pages. Written by GM Berrow.

Pinkie Sitting - Rarity's dress is nice. Character difference with ponyland: we already know that Rarity would never babysit! Not exactly Pinkie's finest moment of maturity, but I thought this was pretty sweet. Written by... GM Berrow again. Is she just writing all of these shorts?

A Queen of Clubs - Snips, Snails, and Trixie being part of the Ogres & Oubliettes club is unexpected. Sunset being in the fencing club is neat. I don't believe for a second that Flash is interested in science! He's obviously there in a desperate attempt to get close to SciTwi. Rarity's presence is unexpected, but we already established from the trailer that she's A+ tier. Rarity forming a Rarity club is great, but including the pig was weird. This is the best one. And yeah, also written by GM Berrow.

Juju&Lulu

Post by Juju&Lulu (?) » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:54 am

Amazing

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:11 am

:twonk:

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:00 am

This could be just a fake, like in the Simpsons episode, in which Lisa finds a skeleton of an "angel".

"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:28 pm

Juju&Lulu wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:54 am

Amazing
AJ with the cape and rose is what makes this.
👉👉🥜🏠

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:42 am

:smirk: You grow that weed, Twilight.

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:20 pm

Equestria Girls Series
Star Crossed - Wait, Starswirl is in Dougworld, but he's... an astronomer? Twilight's dumb jokes were good. Everything after that didn't feel like it got enough time; this is one of those stories that probably could have been a full 20 minutes. Still eh on Timber. Those fireflies acting like that was pretty weird, even if we assume Fluttershy trained them somehow.

The Finals Countdown - Cheerilee teaches the Mane Six too? If they're having finals, does that mean the school year is ending? Didn't expect a song. It was alright, and sounds similar to Friendship Games songs, but it was a bit lacking in energy for what it was going for. I know the alternate tutoring methods were just gags, but I really don't get Rarity's.

Overpowered - This is less than three minutes too? That's unexpected. I guess it's really just going to be weird stuff like the Choose Your Own Adventure that's longer. Everyone getting overpowered definitely changes the significance of this story from what we assumed from the preview. Cute ET reference. Wait, this is where Zephyr comes in? Not even explaining who he is or having him do anything really? This was a weird story, since it was just "lol it's Rainbow's fault", and it doesn't really set up for anything in the future.

All of these were written by GM Berrow. Is she writing everything except the CYOA story?

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:45 am

(Another ResetEra repost)

My Little Shop of Horrors - Huh, random evil magic is back. Another song, that's a surprise. Twilight really likes sweeping, huh? Twilight, no concern about these plants coming to life? Wait, did I read the credits right and Rebecca Shoichet was Twilight's only voice here?

A Little Birdie Told Me - I like how Cranky is taking Fluttershy cheating with birds seriously. Huh, I guess Fluttershy is super good at math. Kind of weird. I liked the ending, though.

Super Squad Goals - So the city is Canterlot City after all. Glad to see Rarity actually is doing epic pointing, and it wasn't just an out of context screencap. Wow, they suck at catching this random thief. Rainbow's super speed is the most useless thing ever. Also, I like how Sunset's doing all this action stuff when her powers don't help with that at all. Oh no, that shot of Rarity with hearts in her eyes in front of Applejack! Stop, doesn't this ship have enough already?!

Display of Affection - Hmm, wasn't it mentioned before that Applejack is secretly Flanksy? Though it looks like it will be Sunset. Shame, it could have given Applejack a non-farming thing to do. This does tie back into that Pinkie / Sunset short in art class, though.

Yeah, none of these were that great, and two of them oddly focused on making a character really good at something random. The third was the most disappointing, due to how weak the action was.

Also... I made this.

Juju&Lulu

Post by Juju&Lulu (?) » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:27 am

So now the series has begun on YouTube proper

Soft Snow

Post by Soft Snow (?) » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:47 pm

Does anyone have a link to a playlist on YouTube?

Edited: Is it just one episode a week? I thought they were going to pull a Netflix and release the season all at once.
:-I
If I had a bit for every time you made me feel worthless I'd be worth something by now.

Wayoshi
Paper Fluts
Stare Masters

Post by Wayoshi (?) » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:49 pm

they want it to last a whole year, but I bet it leaks somehow eventually :-I

Soft Snow

Post by Soft Snow (?) » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:53 am

I feel like these shorts would be way more interesting if they were of the ponies themselves doing little day to day stuff we don't normally get to see in a regular episodes. The Equestria Girl world isn't as developed enough that these shorts would fill in any gaps to notable continuity.

Juju&Lulu

Post by Juju&Lulu (?) » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:45 pm

New short is out today also we got another promo with some new footage.

Beach episode confirmed. Also looks like "A Friendship To Remember" might get animated after all.

Juju&Lulu

Post by Juju&Lulu (?) » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:02 am

The first of the CYOA episodes is out. There's three possible choices for the next part of the episode.

Wayoshi
Paper Fluts
Stare Masters

Post by Wayoshi (?) » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:39 pm

AUs within an AU? Oh boy. :P

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:57 pm

Holy crap, something new that isn't a leak.

EQG - Best Trends Forever
Kind of surprised the CYOA episodes are all distinct. I thought they were all going to connect into one long story.

Nice "all the girls I like don't like me back" haircut there, Flash. Rarity sitting on the desk is cute.

Hmm, the animation seems different. Is it just that we don't see the faces from the front this often? It reminds me of Silver Quill's Pinkie Pie Says Goodnight comics.

Because I'm me, and they gave the option, I went with Twilight first. It was cute, and Rarity and Twilight smoosh cheeks at the end. I don't ship Rarity with SciTwi, but I'll take it.

Next is rainbows, rainbows, darling. Yes, I was reminded of G3 Rainbow Dash. This was pretty funny, especially with the Twilight Zone moment--wait wait wait, why not use a Twilight Zone joke with Twilight?

With Pinkie... Rarity, I don't think confetti is a fashion. And indeed, as opposed to the previous two, only Pinkie actually follows this trend. I love how Rarity uses her geode power in such mundane but useful ways. Twilight, you're seriously just throwing confetti outside? This one was alright.

This was a lot of fun.

So have at it, which scenario is canon?

Though wait, come to think of it, it's also possible that this exact scenario happened on three different days, with Rarity going with a different girl each time. Flash would use the same joke every day.

Niels Olof
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Niels Olof (?) » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:15 pm

I must agree with SciTwi: such a puny book could not possibly contain all that is wonderful with arthropods.
In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libroEverywhere I sought tranquility but found it nowhere save in a corner with a book

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:45 pm

I guess Hasbro didn't mean to put it up now. "Best Trends Forever" was taken down.

AmericanErrorist

Post by AmericanErrorist (?) » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:53 am

A staggering 5 CYOA episodes have been posted to the Discovery Family GO app in the US, and I hear someone posted them to Dailymotion as well.

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:30 pm

Soft Snow wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:53 am
I feel like these shorts would be way more interesting if they were of the ponies themselves doing little day to day stuff we don't normally get to see in a regular episodes. The Equestria Girl world isn't as developed enough that these shorts would fill in any gaps to notable continuity.
Right said
But...
This one's too young

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:34 pm

AmericanErrorist wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:53 am
A staggering 5 CYOA episodes have been posted to the Discovery Family GO app in the US, and I hear someone posted them to Dailymotion as well.
And five more today, though one is "Best Trends Forever".

I think there's some miscommunication between Hasbro and Discovery.

Auxiliatrix

Post by Auxiliatrix (?) » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:35 pm

These shorts do sound fun, but I haven't really been keeping up with them at all. The couple of shorts I did watch didn't do a lot for me, so I might just wait for a while and then watch a ton of them in a row.

Still - I'm glad to see more Sunset, of course. :-D

Life in one image. Interpret as you wish.

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:01 am

NEW HOUR LONG EQUESTRIA GIRLS SPECIAL IN FEBRUARY

My Little Pony: Equestria Girls: Forgotten Friendship
World Premiere Saturday, February 17 at 12/11c
Y7
In this brand new one-hour special Sunset Shimmer is shocked when she discovers she’s been erased from her friends’ memories, leading her to search for the magic and the perpetrator who did such a dreadful deed.

If this sounds familiar, this is the story of the chapter book released last month, A Friendship to Remember. Some pretty major stuff happened in it, so I'm glad that it's "canon", in the sense that it will be prominent enough for fans to notice it. I won't mention what happens in it, but if you want to know, check out the Wikia page.

Juju&Lulu

Post by Juju&Lulu (?) » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:06 am

Yes good.

I haven't read the book but from what I've heard, it's one of the best stories to come out of Equestria Girls so I'm glad it's getting animated.

Auxiliatrix

Post by Auxiliatrix (?) » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:30 pm

SigmasonicX wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:01 am
NEW HOUR LONG EQUESTRIA GIRLS SPECIAL IN FEBRUARY

My Little Pony: Equestria Girls: Forgotten Friendship
World Premiere Saturday, February 17 at 12/11c
Y7
In this brand new one-hour special Sunset Shimmer is shocked when she discovers she’s been erased from her friends’ memories, leading her to search for the magic and the perpetrator who did such a dreadful deed.

If this sounds familiar, this is the story of the chapter book released last month, A Friendship to Remember. Some pretty major stuff happened in it, so I'm glad that it's "canon", in the sense that it will be prominent enough for fans to notice it. I won't mention what happens in it, but if you want to know, check out the Wikia page.
Not only is this a great idea for a story, but I'm overjoyed to see the experimentation in terms of the format. I'm curious to see what the episode does with the hour-long block, and, considering we've seen Equestria Girls related media ranging from 3-minute shorts to 22-minute shorts and full-length movies, I think the consistent change of pace is refreshing to see. Good to see the series isn't being limited to a single format, and that, judging by the amount of content, the writers still have plenty of ideas for Equestria Girls.

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:13 pm

I legit excited for this. Especially after hearing what happened in the book back when it came out.

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:01 pm

Forgotten Friendship aired today.

It was pretty darn good.

Best Parts:

Celestia and Sunset Reunion. :3:

Celestia has a secret dungeon full of book and never told Twilight :gotcha:\

Trixie was actually a welcome addition to the story :trixyay:

Sunset Shimmer totally called Trixie a blowhard :whydontwehaveasunsetemote?:

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:37 pm

Repost from ResetEra:
Forgotten Friendship
This was a decent story overall, with the beginning through Sunset returning to school being the most interesting part, and it getting less so after that. I just didn't buy Wallflower as an antagonist, though she is better than Juniper Montage, I suppose. One of my big issues throughout the story, the fact that even the heroes completely forgot about her, did get justified in the end by Wallflower saying she erased every awkward encounter she had, implying that was every encounter. With a dose of crazy, I could see how Wallflower could constantly do that and still get upset no one remembered her.

I've complained before about Sunset having an uninteresting personality. I was glad to see them lean more into her anger here, but still... I stand by it. Sunset is a boring lead. This was exemplified by how she was paired up with Pony Twilight getting excited about the hidden library, and then with Trixie. They just outshined her completely.

Now going through the story, the beginning song is alright. Sunset looked the same in freshman year, was already well known as a bully (but was still popular, from later dialogue?), and was already hanging out with Snips and Snails? That doesn't seem right, especially with the first movie showing she looked different in freshman year. Oh, and confirmation that she came over in the form of a 14 year old, whatever that says about her actual age.

The beach scenes were cute. Oh, so that's why Lumineko drew that art of SciTwi and a drone with the drone--actually, never mind.

I liked that Sunset thought to check if Pony Twilight remembered her. Like I suspected, Sunset and Celestia reuniting wasn't given as much focus as I would have liked, just being brushed over so the story could progress. Sunset, no thoughts on Luna existing at all?

So there's a forbidden section of the library... and that's not where the time travel spells are? You'd think it'd have forbidden magic, but it seems to just have old records they'd prefer not to be public knowledge. I believe this is the first confirmation that windigos definitively exist; before, it was kept ambiguous. Twilight's excitement during this scene was great. Also, confirmation that the Hearth's Warming ponies aren't necessarily the same gender as the ponies playing them, with the historical Clover the Clever being male. He got rid of the mind stone before Equestria was founded, but he was able to go to and hide it in Dougworld? That messes with my timeline of when they got a stable portal, since the "Shadow Play" flashback showed that Starswirl tossed the sirens into a warp he had to create then and there. Still, this shows that everyone was using Dougworld for a dumping ground back then.

Either that was a bizarrely quick trip, or the girls stayed on the beach for two days.

I liked that Sunset and Trixie became allies, but honestly, it's weird having Trixie without Starlight to bounce off of now. Her interplay with Sunset just isn't the same.

Wait, Maud's in high school? Pony Maud, meanwhile, has a doctorate (rocktorate), implying she's well past that age.

Wallflower's song was alright enough at the start, but I didn't like it as it went on. Glad it got interrupted.

Jeez, they're really playing up the idea of writing down and recording what you're doing when facing a memory eraser as something incredibly clever. The songs existing in-universe and even getting recorded is really weird, given how they went out of their way to avoid that in the first two movies. Trixie deciding to fast forward past Wallflower's is great, though.

With Sunset's memories being erased, it was nice to get a brief glimpse of what it was like when she first got there. I liked that the other girls decided to help her on their own. But jeez, going magical girl on a completely normal girl seems a bit much. New outfits are nice, though.

Overall, the special was alright, but it didn't really change my opinion about Sunset.
The Doctor wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:01 pm
Forgotten Friendship aired today.

It was pretty darn good.

Best Parts:

Celestia and Sunset Reunion. :3:

Celestia has a secret dungeon full of book and never told Twilight :gotcha:\

Trixie was actually a welcome addition to the story :trixyay:

Sunset Shimmer totally called Trixie a blowhard :whydontwehaveasunsetemote?:
Honestly surprised you liked the Celestia reunion. I figured you'd take issue with the lack of focus.

And yeah, Sunset calling her a blowhard was good.

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:37 pm

SigmasonicX wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:37 pm

Honestly surprised you liked the Celestia reunion. I figured you'd take issue with the lack of focus.

And yeah, Sunset calling her a blowhard was good.
Here's the thing.

Celestia isn't a main character. I don't expect her to get the focus. Yes, after 7 seasons she should have had an episode. But I don't expect her to be the focus all the time, and when she pops in, I expect it to be in a supporting role, like she was in this episode. She got a cute reunion with Sunset, and a few nice bits in the Library. For the purposes of this story, that's all she needed.

My big issue is all the time she shows up and is just shown to be helpless when things get tough. Namely, nearly every 2 part finale and some other episodes too. I've said it before, but it would not be hard to have her (and Luna) to play active roles when danger comes to Equestria and not be the focus of the narrative.

Highbrow Dash
But why would you post such a thing?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Highbrow Dash (?) » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:00 pm

This was actually pretty good (and I definitely don't say that about most EQG stuff). Good fun, and it helps that it had a pony segment with Sunset reuniting with Celestia and Twilight being a dork :allears:

I wish they'd tone down Trixie's schtick, though. She's not that grating in FiM. She needs to be able to say more than 10 hours without mentioning how Great and Powerful she is :-I

Wayoshi
Paper Fluts
Stare Masters

Re: Equestria Girls: Sunset the Protagonist Edition

Post by Wayoshi (?) » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:16 am

Renamed this thread to be more of a general EqG thread. :-I

Auxiliatrix

Post by Auxiliatrix (?) » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:40 am

I had high hopes when I first heard about "Forgotten Friendship", and, now that I've seen it, I can say that it didn't disappoint. I loved the special, even if it's by no means perfect, and I think it might compete with Rainbow Rocks for my favorite EQG-related piece of media thus far.

When I heard the synopsis to "Forgotten Friendship", my excitement stemmed not only from the interesting idea it proposed, but also from the fact that this story was specifically happening to Sunset Shimmer. I do greatly enjoy Sunset, but I also feel that the EQG movies should've kept her as the central character (as opposed to splitting it with Sci-Twi in movies 3 and 4). When Sunset gets to deal with a conflict (like she did here), we get to see more of her flaws, as well as her dynamic as sort of a "student" to Pony/OG Twilight, and I always find it fascinating.

In this special, Sunset does have some moments of anger, and, multiple times, she does seem to let her emotions blind parts of her judgement. She also seems to judge herself rather harshly, though this is something that was also quite prominent in Rainbow Rocks. Ultimately, what I'm attempting to say is that Sunset's conflict in this episode is part of what made it so interesting, and each story element, from Celestia to Sunset's mistreatment of Wallflower, fit together really well.

From a humor standpoint, this is great. The way the musical numbers are treated in this episode makes for some very unique breaking of the forth wall (as BOTH songs are directly referenced, and the first one wasn't even visibly sung by the characters), first off. However, beyond that, there are tons of funny lines and moments, with the highlight probably being Twilight's "freak-out". Kudos to Tara Strong for absolutely nailing the voice acting on that, by the way; she's stellar in this special.

(Also, for those questioning why Maud would be a student at Canterlot High: it's the same reason as everyone else, really. I mean, Twilight and the rest of the Mane 6 are all considered adults, but they're still students in this universe. Maud, presumably, is around the same age as all of them.)

I have other points I could touch on, but, for the most part, I have very few complaints. The pacing wasn't perfect (as there are a few filler-y bits), a couple jokes missed, and there are some things to nitpick (like when, in the flashback, Sunset sees the memories flying out of the heads of the Mane 6 as they sleep, despite the fact that Wallflower wouldn't have seen that happening), but I thought the core storyline was executed extremely well, and that's what matters to me.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:39 am

The first moment Wallflower appeared on screen I proclaimed that she would be the villain of the day.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Auxiliatrix

Post by Auxiliatrix (?) » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:29 pm

Adiwan wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:39 am
The first moment Wallflower appeared on screen I proclaimed that she would be the villain of the day.
It was pretty predictable, especially when they started drawing all of the attention to Trixie. However, I did like what they ended up doing with Trixie, and, similarly, I thought Wallflower was a good antagonist, with interesting motives and some pretty good dialogue.

AmericanErrorist

Post by AmericanErrorist (?) » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:23 pm

Equestria Girls Beach Shorts! Discovery Family Go! Dailymotion for the appless and non-USians!