Las Pegasus Unicon - Hey Ocean!'s Eleven

Where only the shiniest threads are preserved for all to see.
Lazy

Re: Las Pegasus Unicon - Hey Ocean!'s Eleven

Post by Lazy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:52 pm

She had a bad experience with X thing, now she wants to do less of it. That's it.

Stop being an entitled child about it. You need to do a hell of a lot more growing up than Tara does.

EquestriaGuy

Post by EquestriaGuy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:56 pm

nimrod wrote:
:starity: I hope I'm never famous and have fans like you.

Also, decisions aren't black and white. She was probably back and forth between going to her kid's karate thing and Unicon, so when Unicon really fucked her she decided that in the future her family holds more weight in her decisions.
Naw, I think you're white washing her decision here, and giving her a massive benefit of the doubt.
Lazy wrote:She had a bad experience with X thing, now she wants to do less of it. That's it.

Stop being an entitled child about it. You need to do a hell of a lot more growing up than Tara does.
See above. ^I just expect some intellectual consistency and rationality from other people. I apologize if that's asking too much.
Last edited by EquestriaGuy on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hyper!!!

Post by Hyper!!! » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:56 pm

:excite: Dear Princess Celestia,
Today I learned that the brony fandom is most important thing in the world. Even if they treat me badly, I still have to do shit for them.

republic

Post by republic » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:57 pm

nimrod wrote: Also, decisions aren't black and white. She was probably back and forth between going to her kid's karate thing and Unicon, so when Unicon really fucked her she decided that in the future her family holds more weight in her decisions.
Took the words right out of my mouth. After getting burned by Unicon and missing out on what sounds like a pretty important event for her kid, I really can't blame her for wanting to ease back on con appearances and spend more time with her family. Honestly, she can afford to be choosy with what cons she goes to at this point.

haywire

Post by haywire » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:58 pm

EquestriaGuy wrote:
Let me spell this out for you: She is not obligated to show up to any of these. If she makes the decision that spending time with her family is more important than going to a con that carries these same risks or that she does not want to go to, she is well within her rights to do so. People are allowed to change their habits and schedules, and your entitled ass can complain as much as possible, but don't act like she's striking some terrible blow against the community and lashing out at bronies. A convention appearance is not set in stone, is (ideally) not the only thing keeping a con going, and the cancellation of one is not just hissy fit, especially considering that the risks that could accompany such an event are a very valid reason to avoid it.

Don't project your entitlement onto her just because you're worried about the con scene and attention being focused away from the brony community.
Last edited by haywire on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dexanth
Celestia's Champions

Post by Dexanth (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:59 pm

Hyper!!! wrote::excite: Dear Princess Celestia,
Today I learned that the brony fandom is most important thing in the world. Even if they treat me badly, I still have to do shit for them.
Seriously, this.

Going 'Okay, look, this thing I sacrificed family time for went bad, so for the foreseeable future my priorities are different' is totally understandable.

If the con somehow folds because she doesnt appear, oh well. The Northeast Corridor has plenty of them already.

EquestriaGuy

Post by EquestriaGuy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:59 pm

Hyper!!! wrote::excite: Dear Princess Celestia,
The fandom banded together and bailed out a thief. The fandom is at its brightest right now. the fandom has been nothing but supportive of the Unicon guests and everyone screwed over by Sandi,. So how is it the fandom that treated her badly?

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:00 pm

EquestriaGuy wrote:I have no problem with her not going, what I resent is the path she took to get to that decision, and the repercussions of that decision. Let's not pretend here that this has anything to do with her family, and that she just miraculously had this epiphany about the importance of family the same week she's been ripping first year cons and had a bad con experience. If she was concerned about family she wouldn't had agreed to appear at BAP to begin with, nevermind the dozens or hundreds of other cons she's done in the past. If appearing at the convention is negligent, then considering all of her cons combined should imply a phone call to DCF.
Believe it or not, such epiphanies are possible. We're not purely logical robots who can foresee any and all outcomes and plan thusly. Likewise, we often let emotion influence our decisions more than it "should" (that is to say, more than it should by logic alone). It's easy to separate the two in the relatively cold environment of the Internet, but in real life that is not really the case. Such is humanity.

Yeah, it's a shame that she decided to cancel, but she did what she thought was right.
Last edited by Fizzbuzz on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ninetails

Post by Ninetails (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:00 pm

Tara Strong is a person and is therefore entitled to her own decisions. There's no need to accuse her of throwing a 'hissy fit' or lying to get away from her fans. She loves all of her fans a whole lot and hasn't hesitated to express that, so she's not doing this to spite anyone - she just wants a break from the con scene for her own reasons and getting mad at her or judging her for that is pointless.

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:01 pm

Tara has always seemed to be the diva of the group. That being said, she's been doing a LOT of pony cons the past year. I can imagine the sudden influx of con appearances has been hard on her family. Whether or not she's using LPC as a convenient excuse or not is irrelevant. I think it's wrong to question why she scaling back con appearances, because whatever her reason, it doesn't matter.
Last edited by The Doctor on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ashenai

Post by Ashenai » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:01 pm

EquestriaGuy wrote:I have no problem with her not going, what I resent is the path she took to get to that decision, and the repercussions of that decision. Let's not pretend here that this has anything to do with her family, and that she just miraculously had this epiphany about the importance of family the same week she's been ripping first year cons and had a bad con experience. If she was concerned about family she wouldn't had agreed to appear at BAP to begin with, nevermind the dozens or hundreds of other cons she's done in the past. If appearing at the convention is negligent, then considering all of her cons combined should imply a phone call to DCF.
It's obviously a combination of factors. She can choose to spend her time with her family or doing promotional stuff like cons. It's a balancing act, as everyone knows who has ever had to choose between spending time with their work or with their loved ones. If cons become less attractive, then yeah the personal sacrifices of choosing cons over her family start becoming not worth it. Didn't you read her tweet about missing her kid's karate tournament?

At any rate, you don't have to understand her decisions or her wishes, you just have to respect them. Be a good fan: have some grace and humility, and don't put your wants above the feelings of the people who work hard to entertain you.
Last edited by Ashenai on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hyper!!!

Post by Hyper!!! » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:02 pm

EquestriaGuy wrote:
The fandom banded together and bailed out a thief. The fandom is at its brightest right now. the fandom has been nothing but supportive of the Unicon guests and everyone screwed over by Sandi,. So how is it the fandom that treated her badly?
Look at what your doing right now.

BartonFink

Post by BartonFink (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:04 pm

Remember when we were amazed that Thiessen would even bother showing up to that first (non-meetup sized) BronyCon?

That should really be our frame of reference here.

RudeCyrus
nightmare eyes
Rainbow Racers
Patreon supporter

Post by RudeCyrus (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:05 pm

I'm glad someone is here that can read Tara Strong's mind and knows exactly when she is and isn't lying about her motivations.

blasmeister
Semper Pie

Post by blasmeister (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:08 pm

rudecyrus wrote:I'm glad someone is here that can read Tara Strong's mind and knows exactly when she is and isn't lying about her motivations.
Nah man, missing her kid's karate tournament to go to a farce of a con and not be paid clearly wouldn't have affected her decision on whether cons are worth her time it's a lie concocted to try and teach the fandom a lesson in respect/unjustly punish the fans . :tinfoil:
ImageImageImageImage

EquestriaGuy

Post by EquestriaGuy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:10 pm

ITT: people pretending it's just a coincidence that she had this epiphany the same day she'd been ripping first year cons.

Let me put it this way. If Unicon hadn't bombed, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. You know it, and I know it, so this faux moral footing you're all trying to take is so shaky and tenuous that it's not worth putting any effort into defending. She made a hasty decision, and is punishing those who have only been supportive of the VAs.

get your heads straight. Nothing about this decision is based on well thought out logic. it's simply her reacting to Unicon in a manner no other VA has.

Void Chicken
Stare Masters

Post by Void Chicken (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:10 pm

Hm, maybe this can be my mod voice

Okay. Quit it. Tara doesn't owe us shit. How about we be glad for what the show staff gives us, and not spend pages and pages over what the fandom does or doesn't deserve or whatever, all right?

FightingDreamer

Post by FightingDreamer » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:13 pm

Not that this hasn't been entertaining, but yeah, what VoidChicken said.

EquestriaGuy

Post by EquestriaGuy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:16 pm

FightingDreamer wrote:Not that this hasn't been entertaining, but yeah, what VoidChicken said.
Incredibly entertaining. I'd rather disagree with these people than some of the dirt bags elsewhere.

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:16 pm

EquestriaGuy wrote:ITT: people pretending it's just a coincidence that she had this epiphany the same day she'd been ripping first year cons.
She has suddenly been thrown into a heavy con schedule by this show, and has attended a ton of cons (anyone have any numbers? Has anyone else from the primary cast attended more cons than her?). Before pony, she didn't attend many cons. MAybe a few VG related ones, but there's only really 3 of those a year (E3, SDCC, PAX). I have no doubt that this could have had an impact on her family life.

In the end, if she's using LPU as a convenient excuse to scale back her con appearances or not, what business is it of ours? She doesn't owe us anything.

Zuzie

Post by Zuzie » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:20 pm

I wonder if there will be some kind of future episode based on the whole experience or something.

Someone hosts some kind of event similar to the grand galloping gala, only its all a trap to capture the guests and sell them to slavery or something. The mane cast has to face off against the villains and rescue the ponies.

It can also serve as a throwback to a G1 episode :crack:

EquestriaGuy

Post by EquestriaGuy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:22 pm

The Doctor wrote:

In the end, if she's using LPU as a convenient excuse to scale back her con appearances or not, what business is it of ours? She doesn't owe us anything.
mmm, ya. I totally see where you're coming from, but that only works if you're committing to scale back on the number of cons you want to do in the future. What we had here was her cancel on a convention that's coming up in mere weeks. Those are the two bad decisions here, the cancellation and the fact that it's so close to the convention date.

Vivianinatoga
Semper Pie

Post by Vivianinatoga (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:24 pm

VoidChicken wrote:Hm, maybe this can be my mod voice
And that's how Equestria was made! :party:
ImageImageImage

Ransom

Post by Ransom (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:25 pm

Zuzie wrote:I wonder if there will be some kind of future episode based on the whole experience or something.

Someone hosts some kind of event similar to the grand galloping gala, only its all a trap to capture the guests and sell them to slavery or something. The mane cast has to face off against the villains and rescue the ponies.

As was said a few pages back, the episode should be called "Escape from Los Pegasus" :gotcha:

Big Boss
A tourist trap that can surpass Mystery Shack?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:25 pm

VoidChicken wrote:Hm, maybe this can be my mod voice

Okay. Quit it. Tara doesn't owe us shit. How about we be glad for what the show staff gives us, and not spend pages and pages over what the fandom does or doesn't deserve or whatever, all right?
:speakest: Next person to bring up Tara gets a vacation. It is what it is. Move on. :speakest:

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:36 pm

Zuzie wrote:I wonder if there will be some kind of future episode based on the whole experience or something.

:awesomedash: Can you believe we're going to meet THE Firefly

:allears: I can't wait to meet Star Catcher

:rariwhat: Rainbow Dash, why does this program say you're hosting the fashion pannel?

:rainbert: That's my Mom's favorite aunt. I was named after her, she always tried dressing me in style.

:excite: I can't believe Milky Way is going to be here.

:party: Surprise Surprise party at 6 girls

:awesomedash: here they come!

Image Image Image Image Image :liarjack:
:starity: Is that....

:-/ Did AJ get into the cider again?

:ponder: just how old is Applejack?

:bluh: I'm never doing one of these again...

doodlesplat

Post by doodlesplat » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:10 am

This community has come such a long long way since that very first episode aired. LPU and its aftermath were unprecedented but, in the larger scheme of things, they are merely minor setbacks. Yes, these are testing times on everyone. Yes, we're only human and we do get down or angry. But, to let those feelings take us over and undo some of the magic that brought us together pleases only Discord (pre-S3).

Now, I don't have a stack of friendship letters to return back to you to remind you of what this community is all about. Instead, have this:

There's love in that song. Things will be fine. Smile! :party:

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:06 am

This is easily the most entertaining thread in Ponygoons history. :munch:
ImageImageImageImageImage

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:14 am

^ You can say that again! :munch:

CorvusCaw
Maud Squad

Post by CorvusCaw (?) » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:31 am

Octavia wrote:This is easily the most entertaining thread in Ponygoons history. :munch:
To think that 22 pages ago, this was just a simple thread about VA panels and bronies asking terrible questions in Q&A segments...
ImageImageImageImageImage

Wayoshi
Paper Fluts
Stare Masters

Post by Wayoshi (?) » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:34 am

I hope we get some closure from Sandi & co. soon... but I bet they drag it out / try to let it fade into memories before they do that. And/or lawsuits will take awhile, urgh.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:04 am

Well, since the LPU website is down (most likely because of the con heads not paying the server) we might never hear from them again.
Image /// Image /// Image

Applepie

Post by Applepie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:48 am

I wonder if there will be some kind of future episode based on the whole experience or something.

It can also serve as a throwback to a G1 episode
I'm liking this idea!

Big Boss
A tourist trap that can surpass Mystery Shack?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:33 pm

So remember how I said the conbook was this low-rent, terrible piece of junk?

Now you can experience it in all its glory.

Ninetails

Post by Ninetails (?) » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:36 pm

I like this conbook. It makes me feel good about myself because I'd never do anything as terrible as this :-P

beau

Post by beau » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:39 pm

kefkafloyd wrote:So remember how I said the conbook was this low-rent, terrible piece of junk?

welp.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:39 pm

Somehow I don't think that digital version quite captures the feel of inkjet-printed paper and vaguely worrisome scarcity that thing apparently had.

Indeed, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions...

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:40 pm

kefkafloyd wrote:So remember how I said the conbook was this low-rent, terrible piece of junk?

And you will forever have your name memorialized in it. :gotcha:

Lorce
μ
Night Mares

Post by Lorce (?) » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:43 pm

Fizzbuzz wrote:Somehow I don't think that digital version quite captures the feel of inkjet-printed paper and vaguely worrisome scarcity that thing apparently had.
But you can easily recapture it by printing it yourself. :party:
Or in some library if your printer is too good. :gotcha:

Headless Horse

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:44 pm

I started collecting stupid typos and misspellings ("villian", "resite", "Dusty Katts", "ADS" in all caps like it's an acronym or something, like some people use WEB or NET or MAC), but then I realized I was only on like page 3 and it would be like laughing at a baby for crapping itself.