Las Pegasus Unicon - Hey Ocean!'s Eleven

Where only the shiniest threads are preserved for all to see.
FightingDreamer

Re: Las Pegasus Unicon - Hey Ocean!'s Eleven

Post by FightingDreamer » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:45 am

Yeah, I don't begrudge her this one bit. She's probably had slightly wonky con experiences before, but I doubt they were anything like this... FIASCO.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:19 am

Tara goes to a LOT of conventions. Even without this fiasco, I can imagine that she wants to take a break from it.

RudeCyrus
nightmare eyes
Rainbow Racers
Patreon supporter

Post by RudeCyrus (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:19 pm

God forbid she put her kids and her work ahead of answering questions from bronies.

I hope she attends more MLP cons in the future, but I totally respect her decision. It's gotta be a pain to attend all these cons.

Snow Drift

Post by Snow Drift » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:23 pm

I know if I were in her position, spending time with family would be priority. I imagine the cons can be fun, but after a big string of them, and then LPU happening, I'd be pretty much done for a while.

Timber72

Post by Timber72 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:28 pm

Headless Horse wrote: Besides
Mir wrote:Besides
Discord wrote:Besides
:squintyjack:

...anyways, I hope this lets her have more time with her kids. Nobody wants to be that parent that missed their kids childhood working.

Headless Horse

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:34 pm

:-I "Sorry I missed your recital, honey; I had to go write TWILIGHTLICIOUS on things!"

:nooooo: "And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon..."

Discord

Post by Discord » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:35 pm

I dunno about the other two (Kefka also goes "besides" a couple of posts up), but I pretty deliberately tried to follow along there. :gotcha:

I was kind of dissappointed when Fizzbuzz broke the combo.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:04 pm

I wouldn't bother going to a pony con if it didn't have a big slate of guests from the show, but LPU is the only one I could have gone to and I pay so little attention to pony news anymore that I didn't know it was happening until the week before. :pinkieshrug: I have zero interest in seeing "fan guests" like musicians or spending a shitload of money just to meet other fans. No offense. :modesty: It would be easier to do that on a general vacation and more fun because I like seeing the local stuff when I travel, not being in a hotel all weekend.

Of course, I don't really like done very much and I haven't attended one in 17 years. I hate crowds with a passion. So tome, it would need the big VAs,writers, and people like Jayson or Faust to be worth going at all. Others probably don't have that unfortunate hang up to contend with.

And I don't blame Tara either. If I was her I'd rather be with my kids too.

Hyper!!!

Post by Hyper!!! » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:19 pm

EquestriaGuy wrote:In the name of objectivity I'm forced to respect Tara's decision, but I think her backing out will only severely damage BAPC. She doesn't want to go out of fear the con will fail, now it very well could because its biggest guest just backed out. What if it does fail now, and she points to that failure as a good reason not to trust first year cons? She'll act like she exercised good wisdom in not attending the convention, when in reality it could fail simply because of her reactionary hissy fit. She's been to hundreds of cons in her day, 99% of them successful, yet one con fails and she flips out? She may be 40, but she needs to grow up.
:unenthused:
She didn't throw a hissy fit. She didn't flip out. She didn't call anyone white trash. She was lied to and stolen from. If this happened to me I wouldn't even want to take a chance of this happening again. She has a life outside of entertaining bronies.
Tara Strong wrote:True, missed my kid's karate tourny 4 Vegas, now he wants to quit ;(
:fluttersmith:

Robotzor

Post by Robotzor » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:31 pm

If she suddenly pulls the plug based on this alone it makes it seem like she was waiting for a good public reason to pull out of constant cons anyway.

If her kid suddenly pulls out of karate I can hardly believe that one event is what caused the snap. Every story has other sides and more to it than the surface layer presents.

Also, for the sake of thought exercise, LPU failing didn't cause her to be away from her family and her kid to quit, her going to the event at all did. Those two things exist in a vacuum to each other and shouldn't be mixed, unless Unicon failing made her miss the flight to her tourney.
Last edited by Robotzor on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:35 pm

Is there anyone who took karate as a kid that didn't quit within 5 years? :-P
ImageImageImageImageImage

Robotzor

Post by Robotzor » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:37 pm

Octavia wrote:Is there anyone who took karate as a kid that didn't quit within 5 years? :-P
^^^^^^

Also words but that sums what I mean pretty succinctly :milkshake:

Lorce
μ
Night Mares

Post by Lorce (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:40 pm

Hyper!!! wrote: :unenthused:
She didn't throw a hissy fit. She didn't flip out. She didn't call anyone white trash. She was lied to and stolen from. If this happened to me I wouldn't even want to take a chance of this happening again. She has a life outside of entertaining bronies.
Besides (crap, am i too late to use this? :fluttersmith: ) she's still doing the Skype call version, which could prove a better option for other smaller conventions rather than flying the talent+agent there and still letting them have some stars at the panels. So hope this goes without any major hitches that others could pick it up too. Has anyone else done it like this besides the Ingram interview at some con last year?

Obi

Post by Obi » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:53 pm

Ha! From Tara's twitter, she says it's all true :-P
Last edited by Obi on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:02 pm

Octavia wrote:Is there anyone who took karate as a kid that didn't quit within 5 years? :-P
Different martial art for me (Tae-Kwon-Do) but yeah, same applies here.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Ransom

Post by Ransom (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:06 pm

ob2kenobi wrote:Ha! From Tara's twiiter, she says it's all true :-P
Clearly, we will lose much if she stops attending cons :v:

The Ghost of Ember
don't you feel so scared sometimes?

Post by The Ghost of Ember (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:08 pm

And nobody stopped to point out she hadn't said Simon Says?

Bronies I am disappoint :-/
RIP Syndrome wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:56 pm
this universe is cursed

ROBOT B9

Post by ROBOT B9 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:10 pm

I would be honored to have stale bread chucked at me by Twilight Sparkle herself. :vogue:

Dexanth
Celestia's Champions

Post by Dexanth (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:33 pm

Breadhenge sounds like the most amazing thing.

Discord

Post by Discord » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:46 pm

I hope someone there made the obvious "I wasn't prepared for this" joke. :gotcha: (Though that would probably be lost on Tara)

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:03 pm

Dinner with Tara sounds pretty great. :allears:

But really, given everything that happened, I find it hard to blame Tara or be annoyed that she's canceling her con appearances to focus more on her family. I'm sure she'll be back for future pony cons (mainly the bigger ones that are already well established) but, for now, she deserves a break.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wizard

Post by Wizard » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:25 pm

Tara's table might have had Breadhenge, but ours boasted Mitch Larson's marshmallow slingshot shenanigans. Best part was when he nailed Mike the Microphone (or whatever he's called, I think that's who it was) during one of his rambling, inaudible, uncalled-for speeches.

I really feel for Tara on this whole thing, she was treated quite poorly at this event from what little I saw. When I went to get an autograph from her for the daughter of an employee of mine early Sunday, she was already crabby, and that was before a convention staffer informed her that she was needed at a panel that started in 15 minutes. I remember she told him that she had only agreed to one panel later in the day, but he was insistent. I felt so lousy pestering her under the circumstances, but she was very gracious about it.

Complete agreement with EquestriaGuy (who might have been the only ponygoon I didn't meet, alas) about the convention, speaking as a rank-and-file attendee. Despite the dramatic implosion on the last day, and my mild personal disappointment with the overall convention culture, I had a great time. I don't think there could have been a better opportunity to hobnob with the assorted show staff, and the panels were fascinating.

haywire

Post by haywire » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:33 pm

Wizard wrote:Best part was when he nailed Mike the Microphone (or whatever he's called, I think that's who it was) during one of his rambling, inaudible, uncalled-for speeches.
:gotcha:

I also support Tara's decision on this. She's not obligated to go to cons, and if a con fails because she isn't not there then it was doomed from the start.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:52 pm

Headless Horse wrote:Besides, part of me really thinks there should be serious consequences for a con fucking things up this badly. Don't just sweep it under the rug with some fix-it auctions and group hugs. Would-be con runners need to have a little fear of God put into them, so they seriously ask themselves whether they're ready for the responsibility, or if they can handle being thought of as the idiots who ruined it for everyone.
I haven't been paying close attention to the whole LasPegAssist thing, but I'm pretty sure the people in charge still have the bill for the convention center and the eternal reputation as the worst con organizers on earth. Their disastrous mistakes aren't something with which I'd want to saddle any of the unfortunate guests/attendees. Maybe also being the con that soured Tara Strong on conventions is the extra punch in the nose that other organizers need to see happen publicly, but maybe it's just more unfortunate fallout for the fans.

Lorce
μ
Night Mares

Post by Lorce (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:09 pm

SlateSlabrock wrote: I haven't been paying close attention to the whole LasPegAssist thing, but I'm pretty sure the people in charge still have the bill for the convention center and the eternal reputation as the worst con organizers on earth. Their disastrous mistakes aren't something with which I'd want to saddle any of the unfortunate guests/attendees. Maybe also being the con that soured Tara Strong on conventions is the extra punch in the nose that other organizers need to see happen publicly, but maybe it's just more unfortunate fallout for the fans.
I think HH there was referring more to the organizers of other minor cons that seem to have sprouted up this year. The effect is already noticeable for Cloudsdale Congress (which runs this weekend) where they cancelled Garry Chalk and Michael Daingerfield's appearances. Both of which i'm guessing have relatively high appearance fees&costs involved considering their really small roles in the show.

Shotgunbadger

Post by Shotgunbadger (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:11 pm

Yea pretty hard to think of this as anything but understandable. If I got screwed over in so many unique and different ways I'd be wanting a break too.

Yolostar
Chief Executive Lackey

Post by Yolostar (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:16 pm

I really don't care if Tara drops out of the pony con circuit entirely. There are other guests who are infinitely more interesting/less crazy than her. I'd be worried if say, Megan or any of the other writers stopped going or Tabitha decided to not attend any more cons. I don't see losing Tara as that big of a loss.

kidcoelacanth
Princesses of Soul

Post by kidcoelacanth (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:23 pm

Frankly everyone should be glad that Tara dropping out for a while is so far the worst to come of this. I wouldn't have blamed any of them for saying "yeah I'm done with this shit laters".

Lazy

Post by Lazy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:44 pm

Wizard wrote:Tara's table might have had Breadhenge, but ours boasted Mitch Larson's marshmallow slingshot shenanigans. Best part was when he nailed Mike the Microphone (or whatever he's called, I think that's who it was) during one of his rambling, inaudible, uncalled-for speeches.
:golfclop: It's fully impossible, but I would give my right eye for footage of this.

beau

Post by beau » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:53 pm

Lorce wrote: I think HH there was referring more to the organizers of other minor cons that seem to have sprouted up this year. The effect is already noticeable for Cloudsdale Congress (which runs this weekend) where they cancelled Garry Chalk and Michael Daingerfield's appearances. Both of which i'm guessing have relatively high appearance fees&costs involved considering their really small roles in the show.
Dunno about Michael, but Garry Chalk is also a vet of the anime con circuit with high profile roles to his credit. He's got to have a high appearance fee based on that alone.

Wayoshi
Paper Fluts
Stare Masters

Post by Wayoshi (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:19 pm

beau wrote: Dunno about Michael, but Garry Chalk is also a vet of the anime con circuit with high profile roles to his credit. He's got to have a high appearance fee based on that alone.
Garry was great in all the panels I saw him on on the livestream, but yeah, even in #ponygoons Robotzor & I were calling out his very very minor role on pony. Hearing that he probably had a high fee due to other cons is just another strike on Sandi & co.

Discord

Post by Discord » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:25 pm

I get a sense that Sandi was like Spike from "It's About Time".

"Won't booking all these guests seriously overextend our budget?" :-/

"Don't care, that's FUTURE SANDI's problem!" :v:

EquestriaGuy

Post by EquestriaGuy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:35 pm

Tara was throwing a hissy fit, and acting in a way that could damage BAP. Her decision was reactionary, and can only stand to damage the fans, and the revenue intake of BAP. The con runners are fortunate that Tara backtracked a bit today and agreed to appear via skype. You can pretend all day that Tara is acting in her family's best interests, but let's not conveniently forget that before yesterday she was scheduled to attend this con, and she has been doing cons for years, so let's not rewrite what's right and wrong because of someone's privileged status within the fandom, and if I'm some how wrong for criticizing her decision making process here, then its only because some people are willing to ignore the massive precedent that's been established here, and the fact that this is a business contract that's being reneged or amended.

doodlesplat

Post by doodlesplat » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:38 pm

Incidentally, booking all these minor-roled guests to their first pony con has introduced them all to the fandom. Garry appeared to be warming up to the show :allears:
And the fiasco proper has gotten Robert Picardo interested too.
(Of course this is all just silver lining wishful thinking.)

Ashenai

Post by Ashenai » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:45 pm

EquestriaGuy wrote:Tara was throwing a hissy fit, and acting in a way that could damage BAP. Her decision was reactionary, and can only stand to damage the fans, and the revenue intake of BAP. The con runners are fortunate that Tara backtracked a bit today and agreed to appear via skype. You can pretend all day that Tara is acting in her family's best interests, but let's not conveniently forget that before yesterday she was scheduled to attend this con, and she has been doing cons for years, so let's not rewrite what's right and wrong because of someone's privileged status within the fandom, and if I'm some how wrong for criticizing her decision making process here, then its only because some people are willing to ignore the massive precedent that's been established here, and the fact that this is a business contract that's being reneged or amended.
I think you're rapidly going to a bad place here. If someone wants to spend more time with their family and less at cons, more power to them I say. Calling a con appearance a "business contract" is missing the point; if a guest doesn't want to be at a con, forcing them to go serves no useful purpose and just makes it worse for everyone. Do you really want a resentful guest at a con, one who would clearly like to be somewhere else?

blasmeister
Semper Pie

Post by blasmeister (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:48 pm

EquestriaGuy wrote:Tara was throwing a hissy fit, and acting in a way that could damage BAP. Her decision was reactionary, and can only stand to damage the fans, and the revenue intake of BAP. The con runners are fortunate that Tara backtracked a bit today and agreed to appear via skype. You can pretend all day that Tara is acting in her family's best interests, but let's not conveniently forget that before yesterday she was scheduled to attend this con, and she has been doing cons for years, so let's not rewrite what's right and wrong because of someone's privileged status within the fandom, and if I'm some how wrong for criticizing her decision making process here, then its only because some people are willing to ignore the massive precedent that's been established here, and the fact that this is a business contract that's being reneged or amended.

Wow. Entitlement.txt
ImageImageImageImage

Headless Horse

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:48 pm

How sure are you that there are contracts involved? VIPs back out of con appearances all the time. Nobody's threatening Patrick Stewart with breach of contract for cancelling his appearance at the June Star Trek con in Boston because he's going to be filming for the new X-Men movie.

EquestriaGuy

Post by EquestriaGuy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:49 pm

Ashenai wrote:
I think you're rapidly going to a bad place here. If someone wants to spend more time with their family and less at cons, more power to them I say. Calling a con appearance a "business contract" is missing the point; if a guest doesn't want to be at a con, forcing them to go serves no useful purpose and just makes it worse for everyone. Do you really want a resentful guest at a con, one who would clearly like to be somewhere else?

I have no problem with her not going, what I resent is the path she took to get to that decision, and the repercussions of that decision. Let's not pretend here that this has anything to do with her family, and that she just miraculously had this epiphany about the importance of family the same week she's been ripping first year cons and had a bad con experience. If she was concerned about family she wouldn't had agreed to appear at BAP to begin with, nevermind the dozens or hundreds of other cons she's done in the past. If appearing at the convention is negligent, then considering all of her cons combined should imply a phone call to DCF.

blasmeister wrote:

Wow. Entitlement.txt
How about you support that statement, instead of a drive by comment. I've amply explained myself.
Headless Horse wrote:How sure are you that there are contracts involved? VIPs back out of con appearances all the time. Nobody's threatening Patrick Stewart with breach of contract for cancelling his appearance at the June Star Trek con in Boston because he's going to be filming for the new X-Men movie.
Her backing out isn't the issue here. She can do whatever the heck she wants. Her doing it as an illogical punishment to first year cons is the problem here. Her doing it as a response to Unicon is the problem here. You would expect and hope that someone of her experience in the con circuit would be wiser than to lash out like this, and I think she's realizing that, and that's why she's now appearing via skype.
Last edited by EquestriaGuy on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nimrod
yee
The Great and Powerful Trixsters

Post by nimrod (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:51 pm

:starity: I hope I'm never famous and have fans like you.

Also, decisions aren't black and white. She was probably back and forth between going to her kid's karate thing and Unicon, so when Unicon really fucked her she decided that in the future her family holds more weight in her decisions.
Last edited by nimrod on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ice cold spite etc

Headless Horse

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:52 pm

C'mon man. Don't be That Guy.