Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth - In the Cyber Future, We'll Literally Surf the Net

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Which Digimon should be our starter?

Palmon - Flowers are pretty
9%
Terriermon - Momentai!
55%
Hagurumon - BEEP BOOP DOES NOT COMPUTE
36%

Total votes: 11
Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth - In the Cyber Future, We'll Literally Surf the Net

Post by Quanta (?) » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:14 am

Hello, friends! How's it going?

Listen...

I've played a bunch of video games in my time on this Earth--Marios, Zeldas, Metroids--but never have I felt the desire to get into these so called "Let Us Play" type things, or "Let's Plays" as the kids call them.

Today, I'm changing that and bringing you...

Digimon Cyber Sleuth OST - The Cyber Sleuth

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth was a game released March 2015 in Japan for the Playstation Vita and made it to our shores here in North America and/or Europe (depending on where your shores are, I guess) with the addition of a PS4 port in February of the following year, a year which is mostly forgetable except for, well...we all know what happened...

...Anyway!

Cyber Sleuth is about a girl (or a boy, but we're gonna be a girl because girls are cool and boys drool) who joins a private detective agency after being turned into a part-digital being. Using her half-cyber body and its funky new powers, she helps solve cyber crimes and various mysteries happening around Tokyo and in cyberspace. It's a cool as heck gimmick and is a blast to behold.

As you can guess from the title, she also has Digimon to help her. She gets to raise her own Mons from wee little babies to enormous gods of destruction. Gameplay consists of random battles using a battle system reminiscent of games like Final Fantasy X, so if you're at all familiar with that game's combat, you'll feel right at home here.

I'll mostly be doing screenshots and text, but I will dip into the occassional video, either to showcase the anime cutscenes (there's not many, but there are a few), bloopers (like if I die or some other bullshit happens during the course of the game), or things I feel just need to be seen in motion to be appreciated. I'll also be posting the game's music tracks as they come up, because this game has some really great music that I hope you'll all enjoy as much as I have.

So, without further ado, Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth!
Last edited by Quanta on Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
Image3DS Friend Code: 2852-6885-2752

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Re: Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth - In the Cyber Future, We'll Literally Surf the Net

Post by Quanta (?) » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:15 am

Part 1 - Welcome To The Matrix EDEN

Like all good stories, ours begins in a chat room...

Oh man, we messed up the password! We're so scre--

Oh. We got it! Nice!

From here, we descend towards our friend BlueBox's chat room. Along the way, we get to see what other people are talking about...

This is kind of a shitty chat program if it's going to just display random peoples' private chats to everyone as they log into a room. Anyways, we eventually make it to our chosen room:

Image "Hey guys! Ever heard of Digimon?"

Image "What's this all of a sudden?"

Image "You're talking about Digimon programs, right? Those dangerous programs used by hackers."

Image "Dangerous? How dangerous, exactly?"

The old man breaks things down for us.

Image "Those programs can do all kinds of nasty things! They're behind most of the incidents that have been happening."

Image "Wow, Digimon sound nuts!!!"

Image "In some areas, Digimon roam around on their own..."

Image "Wait a minute, Digimon can move!?"

Image "It sounds like these programs have avatars. Kinda like monsters."

Image "Digimon...like 'Digital Monsters'?"

Image "Exactly!"

Image "When did this happen, exactly?"

Suddenly, in Looney Tunes style, the server admin barges into our chat uninvited.

Image "Whaaaat, it's Mr. Navit!!!"

Image "Huh? You mean that EDEN mascot?"

Image "Sorry man, no solicitations! Haha!"

Image "What the heck? Why would an EDEN official come all the way out here?"

Image "...This was a private room, y'know? Just who are you?"

Image "And what's with that greeting? Hardly suiting an official..."

Image "That's right! I'm Mr. Navit, the hacker!"

Image "I have a fantastic present for all of you! Be sure to log in to EDEN tomorrow!"

Image "Don't forget, now! If you don't login, I'll hack you!!"

Image "Buh-bye now!"

And, with that, Mr. Navit leaves the room. Everyone starts to discuss what just happened.

Image "What the heck... was that an actual hacker?"

Image "No way, dude!"

Image "Think someone's playing a prank on us?"

Akkino, meanwhile, is intrigued...

A moment of silence fills the chat, and then...

Image "What, don't tell me y'all are chicken?"

Image "You want to go, Akkino? What'll you do if it's a real hacker?"

Image "This is just PR for an EDEN event, ain't it? A REAL hacker would be cooler, though..."

Image "...Sounds like I can't stop you. Fine, then I'll come with."

Image "What, is this a date now? You asking me out all of a sudden!?"

Image "...Anyway."

The gang takes a moment to mull it over.

Image "Better safe than sorry. I'm out."

Image "I'll pass!"

Image "Me too."

All virtual eyes focus on Aiba. Her response?

Chatting continues long into the night as the 3 remaining participants discuss their plans for tomorrow along with other random stuff. What plans does Mr. Navit have in store for tomorrow?
ImageImage

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Re: Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth - In the Cyber Future, We'll Literally Surf the Net

Post by Quanta (?) » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:16 am

Eventually, tomorrow comes, and our protagonist logs into EDEN.

As stated in the OP, we're going with the girl because boys suck. Also, it's personal preference when I play video games anymore. There's almost no difference in the way the dialogue is presented to the player, though it becomes clear as the story progresses that it was written with the male protagonist in mind, which also means that some scenes come off as incredibly gay when playing as the girl.

Anyways, our character's name is Ami Aiba, which we'll be shortening down to Ami for the rest of the LP. We're tough, we're cute, and we're currently not attending school. Our mom, a reporter, is currently abroad, and we intend to join her sometime in the near future.

Before that, however, we're going to login to EDEN. But what is EDEN, exactly?

Digimon Cyber Sleuth OST - Eden

Welcome to Cyberspace EDEN, created by Kamishiro Enterprises as a next-generation virtual reality simulation. The way EDEN seems to work is that, via a Digivice, a user's mental data can be uploaded directly into the Internet, where EDEN serves as a frontend. It apparently requires no implants or anything either. I have no idea how it actually works, to be honest, but it sounds cool as fuck to be able to literally fly.

We come to a soft landing at the entrance to EDEN. We also get our first look at our character in-game. We're adorable. :3:

Digimon Cyber Sleuth OST - Welcome To This Wonderful Space

Image "I'm here a little earlier than we'd agreed on."

Image "This'll be the first time I've met them outside a chat room. I don't know what their avatars look like, though. But I should be able to figure it out!"

It's at this moment that we can finally control Ami. There's not much we can do at this point other than talk to people. Like in most JRPGs, the NPCs don't have much to say, though some of it is interesting. Like this guy.

...or not?

Maybe this guy?

This guy gives us a cool bit of advice about the platform behind us being able to move us around EDEN. Good thing, 'cuz we're gonna need it.

Going up to the top level, we can see a sparkly thing on the ground. I love shiny things!

This is our first medal which, aside from Digimon, is the game's only other collectible. We'll find out what to do with them at a later date. For now, let's talk to some more people.

"The public ones are better, but expensive, so she usually logs in from home."

Logging into EDEN from home as opposed to out in the world is probably going to be the better option, but I'll expound on that later. For now, let's talk to more folks.

"If you ask around, you'll hear stories 'bout the 'white boy'...but if you look real close, the facial texture's all messed up... The arms and legs are slimy tentacles..."

"It's real form is the 'demon of the creeping darkness'... It comes up to your avatar and snaps it up, chomp chomp! ...That's the rumor, anyway."

After hearing this dude's creepypasta, we finally decide to talk to the student standing on the top platform near the stairs.

"It's an open area just like the entrance, so you can get there from any terminal."

Image "Hmm..."

Remembering the helpful advice the businessman earlier gave us, our eyes drift towards the warp pad.

Image "There's still time left before our meeting!"

With new resolve, we set out to check out other areas of EDEN!

Digimon Cyber Sleuth OST - Destination Guides

This is the navigation map the game presents to us while we're logged into EDEN. It's a bit bare-bones at the moment, but as we get new URLs, we'll be able to explore more areas. It should also be noted that we can't log out at this point, so we're effectively trapped in the Matrix EDEN until we find our friends.

With that in mind, let's go check out the Community Area.

As we move to explore the area, we suddenly get a call...

Image "Hey there! It's me, Mr. Navit! Just one sec~ You're behind schedule, silly! You're gonna be late!"

Image "Hurry up! Come to Galacta Park in Kowloon! Your two friends arrived a little while ago and are waiting for you! I have a gift for you all, but everyone has to be there first!"

Image "Buh-bye!"

Shook, Ami begins processing the message.

Image Hmm...

Dialogue choices in this game do not matter. Literally. None of the choices you can choose from affects the plot in any way whatsoever. In fact, you're going to see dialogue choices appear on occassion that are just full blocks of dialogue written into what would normally be choices, so pick whatever option you like, it makes no difference and is basically another type of text prompt.

Image "Anyway, let's go to Galacta Park in Kowloon!"

Ami then takes a moment to process her last sentence and realizes something.

Here's the thing about EDEN: unless you have a URL to go to, you're not going anywhere. And Kowloon's the bad part of cyber-town, so it's probably not in the pubic directory or whatever people use to access parts of EDEN they're unfamiliar with. So we'll have to ask around and see if there's anyone familiar with the place that can give us our "in".

The game takes this moment to introduce us to its Keyword system. Basically, we can go ask strangers about specific things and they'll tell us what they know, if anything. The folks we can ask about our current keywords will have a lock over their heads, which will unlock when they've been asked a thing. If they gave us useful information, the lock will sparkle and a jingle will play, telling us that we're moving forward. It's a system that could be neat, but it goes underutilized, and you'll never be in a position where you have more than one keyword at any given time except for a few rare occassions. It's also not why we're playing this game, so let's move on.

Wandering into the main area of this section, we can see a humble businessman with a lock icon over his head. Perhaps he can tell us how to get to Hackertown. After all, a random salaryman whose probably taking a breather during his morning commute is probably a good source of information on illicit activities.

"Kinda busy here."

Image "Sorry to bother you, sir, but do you know how to get to Kowloon?"

"If that's what you're into, we're done here. Go talk to a hacker if you want to know about it. There's a hacker-looking thug near the entrance."

"Don't blame me for your foolish decisions. Grow up and take responsibility for yourself."

So yeah, he (rightly) chews us out for wanting to go mess about in a cyber-slum, but still points us in a useful direction. In fact, we talked to a creepy hacker not too long ago, so let's go see if he's still there.

...Or we can ask this random lady if she knows anything.

Image "Excuse me, ma'am, but do you know how to get to Kowloon's Galacta Park?"

We must not be enunciating properly.

"......Oh. You meant 'Kowloon Galacta Park'? I don't know that one, either... Sorry, maybe you should ask someone else."

Probably a good idea. Not sure what we were thinking, to be honest, asking some random person who looks like they're just trying to enjoy their day and not the creepy weirdo near the entrance. A lot of NPCs who respond to keywords don't really know anything, and nothing really changes if you ask the wrong person about a thing; like, you don't get into an extra battle or lose items or anything. So, again, the keyword system is kinda underutilized in this fashion.

In any event, let's go talk to the Creepy Hacker over by the entrance.

Image "Uhm, excuse me, but, er, do you know how to get to Kowloon's Galacta Park?"

This guy doesn't seem to say mu--

Image "...I want to go. To Galacta Park, in Kowloon. That's what you think you want. Isn't it."

Image "I'll show you the way. This is the URL. To their area. Take it."

Image "Now I can go to Kowloon!"

That's a lot of enthusiasm for a normal high schooler to have when walking into a nest of hackers. Hopefully nothing bad happens...

I can't help but feel like we're being watched. Nonetheless, let's go meet up with our friends in Kowloon!
ImageImage

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

As we fly in, we catch a glimpse of a young dude just going for a casual stroll, and eventually come across Galacta Park, where someone is waiting for us. They don't seem too happy though...

Well, she seems happy to see us! :v:

I'm starting to get the impression that we're a bit of a dingus. This is also another example of how the dialogue choices are basically just there for show and have no meaningful impact.

Image "My real name's Nokia Shiramine! Hello! Nice - to - meet - you!"

Egads! What could we have done to deserve such a greeting?

Image "You're late! What were you doing?!"

Image "Leaving me all alone in such a dangerous place. How would you feel if you were in my shoes?"

You gotta admit, she's got a point. So this is Nokia, aka Akkino, the pink avatar from our chat earlier. She's bursting with energy and has a bit of an attitude, as you can probably gather.

Image "Oh, he showed up all right. But what does that even matter?"

Image "Like, can you believe this? He's all, 'Oh, I've got to go and find a ghost,' and all of a sudden he's running off by himself."

Image "And so like, what? The Ghost of the Pale Boy? I've heard the rumors but don't know the details. What does he even plan to do if he finds it?"

Suddenly, someone sneaks up behind Nokia...

Image "Whoa, easy. Overreacting a bit there, aren't we?"

So this is Arata. He's calm, collected, and a huge dork. Also occassionally a bit of a dick. We'll learn more about him later.

Image "Hey now! You're the one who ditched me in a place like this, Arata, you slimy little no-good--"

Image "Oh, just shut your trap."

Like I said, bit of a dick.

Image *looking at Ami* "We've never met here before, have we?"

Image "I'm Arata Sanada. Nice to meet you and all that."

We just give him a small nod, because I guess that's how we introduce ourselves to people we've just met when no dialogue choices are given.

Image "You must've put two and two together by now, but this is the person behind Blue Box!"

Image "He's not what you imagined, is he? In the chat, he's kind and considerate, like a reliable big-brother figure, right?"

Image "When I first met him, I was really weirded out! He's surly, self-absorbed, he's got this weird look in his eye..."

Image "Leave the stupidity for later, okay?"

Image "I thought that 'Mr. Navit' fellow who called us here might be around."

Image "What?! I thought you were looking for a ghost!"

Image "Well, I was doing a little of that too."

Image "But in the end, I found neither."

As Arata is telling us what he was doing while waiting for us, we suddenly get a call...

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth OST - A Chaotic Scene

Image "This is the miraculous power to change the world!"

Image "It's hacking! We've all been hacked!"

Oh fuck! Before we can wonder what exactly was hacked, our Digivices give us a notification...

Image "Whoa. This Mr. Navit fellow is no slouch. He broke through my firewall like it was nothing."

Image "D-Digimon Capture?"

Image "It's a hacking tool that's been making the rounds with hackers lately."

Image "Yes, those Digimon. The ones you're so interested in."

Image "Ah, so 'Digimon' IS short for 'Digital Monster'."

Nothing gets past you, son.

Image "SO then, so then, so then... That means... Have we become hackers?!"

Image "Well, I suppose you could put it that way."

Image "Well, it's no big deal. Hackers are nothing out of the ordinary nowadays."

Image "I don't want any part of this! I'm gonna delete this program!"

Yeah, drag it to the trash bin, I'm sure that'll work.

Image "I can't uninstall this thing?!"

Image "Leave it be. The program's protected. Who knows what'll happen if you force-delete it."

Image "Eep! Wh-What do you mean?"

As this is all going on, it would appear someone is spying on us!

Image "Don't let him get away!"

And, with that, Arata goes charging off down the path on his own. I'm sure nothing bad will happen to him.

He's already gone, Nokia.

LULZ NO YOU'RE NOT!

Someone seems to have thrown up a Firewall while we weren't looking. Shit!

Image "Did some hacker do this too?"

Image "Is... Is this telling us to keep going onward? Are they not letting us go back home?"

Image "No. I'm not going. I won't."

Uhhh...you sure about that?

ImageImage

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

So apparently we've not only been hacked and given some weird program, we're also prevented from leaving. Mr. Navit seems intent on keeping us here for whatever reason, so all we can do is press forward on the only path left open to us.

Digimon Cyber Sleuth OST - Dashing Through Kowloon

Image "It feels totally different from the cyberspace areas on the upper part of the EDEN Network."

Image "There's no trace of Arata. He may have gone further inside."

Image "I should be careful."

Bit late for that, doncha think?

(As an aside, I love how the characters emote in this game.)

We press further inside to see if we can find Arata. Eventually, we come to a crossroads.

Well, at least there's nothing out of...the...ordina...ry...

Well, that was terrifying. Hopefully we're not dead.

That's the end of this update! Next update, we'll be choosing our starter and getting into our first battles, as well as trying to find a way out of this place. Stay tuned!
ImageImage

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:17 am

:sweetielarm: Choosing our Starter :sweetielarm:

So the game gives you 3 starting Digimon to choose from that are already evolved to the Rookie level to let us hit the ground running. We're going to be fighting baby Mons for the first few fights, but having a Rookie at our disposal will let us kick ass sooner rather than later. I'm going to let you guys choose our starting Mon and, going forward, I'll be giving you opportunities to fill out our roster as we go.

I don't want to go into detail on how Digivolution and Mon-raising work atm, so I'm going to present you guys with each starter and let you make your choice based off of whichever you like best. We'll get into Digivolutions when that becomes a relevant thing to think about, which is probably in the next update or two.

With that said, here's what we can pick from:

Palmon is our Data type for the first stretch of the game. You might remember her from the anime, as Mimi's partner. Basically a small plant monster that somehow manages to be both adorable and terrifying at the same time.

Terriermon is our Vaccine. He's some kind of rabbit-pupper with big, floppy ears that you probably remember from Digimon Tamers where he basically acted like a doll in order to blend in. I want to pet him and give him ear rubs. :3: Probably my top-tier pick.

Hagurumon's our Virus-type, and is a floating gear with smaller gears on the sides of his body. He's, uh...a Digimon. I don't know, I have no idea, he doesn't really get me pumped or anything. He's just...there. Seriously, Hagurumon is awful and I would never pick him personally.

I'm gonna check the results of the poll on Saturday and then go ahead and do the next update. Vote away!
ImageImage

Vivianinatoga
Semper Pie

Post by Vivianinatoga (?) » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:48 am

Always pick the Grass-type starter
ImageImageImage

Daikatuna

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:51 am

CYBERSPACE

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:11 pm

:sweetielarm: I ALMOST FORGOT :sweetielarm:

I'm going to need a name for our Mon when we get them, so leave name suggestions! I'll pick whichever name I like best or if a popular one emerges, I'll pick that one. Don't fret if your name doesn't get picked, though; I'm going to need many names going forward as we build our team.
ImageImage

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:12 pm

Hmmmmmm... Terriermon! If I recall, Terriermon can eventually digivolve into that really big bunny digimon.

And possibly gatomon?? The digimon charts are weird and sometimes it's hard to tell.

If you go with terriermon into other bunny digimon, go with Jill for the name tho.
ImageImageImageImage

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:13 pm

Palmon is a hero though and if we get a Palmon we should name her Mimi in honor of Mimi
ImageImageImageImage

The Ghost of Ember
don't you feel so scared sometimes?

Post by The Ghost of Ember (?) » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:14 pm

that girls back must really hurt from having to jut her chest out 900% percent of the time
RIP Syndrome wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:56 pm
this universe is cursed

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:23 pm

I can only speculate that our main character was in some kind of accident that reshaped her spine.
ImageImage

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:43 pm

Thigh highs must be the in fashion this season
πŸ‘‰πŸ‘‰πŸ₯œπŸ 

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:47 pm

Palmon name suggestion:

Holly
πŸ‘‰πŸ‘‰πŸ₯œπŸ 

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:48 pm

My thread got moved WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS?! :twonk:
ImageImage

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:54 pm

the mods have never seemed to realize that the viewership of these threads goes down like 75% if they move them since some people never leave pppp even for the subforum and then move them anyway.

wellcume 2 fun zone
ImageImageImageImage

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:56 pm

sorry I'm still grumpy about when they moved my card game thread to hayrides and horseshoes and it then became literally just me and lorce
ImageImageImageImage

Vivianinatoga
Semper Pie

Post by Vivianinatoga (?) » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:01 pm

name the grass type "Boobs, Ozzy?"
ImageImageImage

The Ghost of Ember
don't you feel so scared sometimes?

Post by The Ghost of Ember (?) » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:30 am

one or two people dont like vidya games so all remotely vidya james related items must be consigned to subforum hell
RIP Syndrome wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:56 pm
this universe is cursed

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:13 am

This LP looks hecking good already, thread starred and approved :allears:

Also I wish you could pick Biyomon but that goes without saying
Image /// Image /// Image

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:27 am

Get Terriermon and name it James for no particular reason

Or Doge
Image /// Image /// Image

Diamondheart

Post by Diamondheart (?) » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:30 am

Oh, they just had to make me choose between Palmon and Terriermon, didn't they?

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:42 pm

Not familiar with the Digimon franchise, so I voted for the underdog nobody likes.

It's okay, little virus gear thing. Even if nobody else cares, I still believe in you. :flutterunsmith:
The Ghost of Ember wrote: ↑
Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:14 pm
that girls back must really hurt from having to jut her chest out 900% percent of the time
Quanta wrote: ↑
Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:23 pm
I can only speculate that our main character was in some kind of accident that reshaped her spine.
Nah, it looks like the character designer for this game is the same guy who did the character designs for Devil Survivor 2, and that game has the exact same problem of having female characters with dialogue portraits where they're trying to thrust their breasts as far out as they possibly can at all times.

It looked awkward and painful there, too. :-I