Halls of Champions - completed game thread

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Soft Snow

Halls of Champions - completed game thread

Post by Soft Snow (?) » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:50 pm

Three games I just completed are Night In The Woods, Persona and Dungeon Keeper.
:-D

In case you were wondering I play multiple games at once because I have a short attention span and have an array of game genre preferences.
:P

I'm still trudging through through Mass Effect Andromeda since that game as an insane amount of side quests that all take hours to complete.
:-I
If I had a bit for every time you made me feel worthless I'd be worth something by now.

Dal
Praise the Sun
Celestia's Champions

Re: Halls of Champions - completed game thread

Post by Dal (?) » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:23 am

Finally decided to play through Quake on Nightmare.
Undecided wrote:Every time you write a story I cant help but sigh, because I know Im gong to lose another man card.

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:35 am

I still need to beat quake on any difficulty :v:
ImageImageImageImage

ixnay
The Great and Powerful Trixsters

Post by ixnay (?) » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:44 am

Beat wolfenstein II last night

A good game but my one major complaint was that the level design made attempting a stealthy playthrough a lot harder than the first game

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:38 am

I beat Digimon Cyber Sleuth, which was great, I loved it. My chief complaints are a dodgy localization and that a bunch of Digimon were pre-order DLC that you can't get anymore, which cuts off a bunch of options for teambuilding and/or collecting (BlackWarGreymon and Beelzemon Burst Mode being inaccessible makes me sad). Also grindy as fuck, but that's to be expected in a Mons-raising game, especially one that grants you access to (almost) all the Mons in the game when you get access to the Digimon equivalent of the Pokemon Daycare within the first 30 minutes of starting the game.

Now I want the sequel, which is supposed to come out early next year.
ImageImage
Image3DS Friend Code: 2852-6885-2752

Highbrow Dash
But why would you post such a thing?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Highbrow Dash (?) » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:06 am

I played through most of Mario 3D Land and loved it till I got to the 8th world and realized that suddenly the game expected me to grind star coins. Then I looked it up online and as it turns out to get to the last level you need to get every single star coin, beat every level twice (as Mario and Luigi) and land on the top of the flagpole in every single level.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna skip all that and play Odyssey instead :-I

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:40 pm

Highbrow Dash wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:06 am
I played through most of Mario 3D Land and loved it till I got to the 8th world and realized that suddenly the game expected me to grind star coins. Then I looked it up online and as it turns out to get to the last level you need to get every single star coin, beat every level twice (as Mario and Luigi) and land on the top of the flagpole in every single level.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna skip all that and play Odyssey instead :-I
The 3D Land/World games expect you to try and get those collectibles all along the way. Not all of them if you want to get to the end of the game or even through the special stages. But yeah, you're gonna need to do EVERYTHING if you want to unlock the very final hardest challenge that the game can throw at you at the very end of the special stages.

Highbrow Dash
But why would you post such a thing?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Highbrow Dash (?) » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:44 am

Aria Genisi wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:40 pm
The 3D Land/World games expect you to try and get those collectibles all along the way. Not all of them if you want to get to the end of the game or even through the special stages. But yeah, you're gonna need to do EVERYTHING if you want to unlock the very final hardest challenge that the game can throw at you at the very end of the special stages.
Eh, I mean I got 2 or 3 of them in most stages. I always had enough to unlock everything without backtracking, until I got to special world 8 and suddenly the requirements ramped up. I thought it was going to be a Rayman Origins thing, where you need most of the unlockables to unlock the last world but not all of them. I was okay with backtracking and getting a few extra ones but beating the game twice and getting everything? That's just ridiculous :-I

It's disappointing but I'm ok with dropping the game and leaving it like that. I still enjoyed it a lot, I didn't expect a 3DS Mario to be so good. Hopefully I can play 3D World someday :-P

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:30 pm

Just beat Wolfenstein 2. It was okay. A lot of shit pissed me off, though.

As has been complained about by numerous people, the stealth in this game is trash compared to the first, and it feels as though they'd rather you shoot things out than sneak around axing Nazis in the back. Enemies see you really easily, and they wear armor plates now that your thrown weapons bounce off of and fuck things over for you. I had a brief moment where I thought that you could actually run and hide and it would eventually end an alert, but no such luck. A number of enemies are paired together now, so you can't kill one without setting off an alert. Commanders can see you from halfway across the map and will fucking hide in the stupidest fucking places. Fewer access paths means that there's no opportunities to sneak around and surprise someone, and the enemies being keen to spot you means that you can't find a place where you can observe their patrol patterns. Commanders tend to be located in command bunkers overseeing a given area, and these bunkers tend to have only one or two entrances/exits, meaning they'll see you coming long before you get there due to the way shit is laid out. Shit like the Battle Walkers and Constrictor Harness go to waste because, while they can open up new pathways, there aren't many pathways for them to open up.

Melee kills also seem less responsive compared to the first game. So many times, I'd actually successfully get close to an enemy, but rather than letting me perform a silent takedown, it'd just throw an ax at the wall or whatever and set off an alert.

I hate that the map doesn't mark the location of treasures on it anymore. I have no idea how you're supposed to find all the collectibles in these sprawling, labyrinthian levels. It leads to you stumbling across shit completely on accident because it's easy to get lost.

In the end though, I beat it, and I doubt I'll return to it anytime soon.
ImageImage
Image3DS Friend Code: 2852-6885-2752

RudeCyrus
nightmare eyes
Rainbow Racers
Patreon supporter

Post by RudeCyrus (?) » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:35 pm

I finished Prey! Overall a solid game, with some interesting narrative themes and good gameplay. I love the setting and characters, and the intro is probably one of the best I've played. It did start dragging after a certain point, namely when the evil military guy shows up, and the ending is underwhelming, no matter which one you choose. The post-credit sequence makes up for that, but I'm not sure why Arkane decided to stick it after unskippable credits considering how important it is.

All in all, a very good game.