My Little Pony: Maretime Bay Adventure

here a forum about pony (General Pony Talk)

Moderators: Wayoshi, Venusy

SigmasonicX

My Little Pony: Maretime Bay Adventure

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Tue May 31, 2022 1:52 pm

I guess this thread makes more sense here.

If you haven't heard the news, there's a multiplatform MLP game!

Reached the credits after just over 2 hours, having gotten all the star bits other than one in a minigame I missed. If you're having trouble finding those last 16 star bits go to the park and talk to the obstacle course pony; you can run it again with your rollerskates and that'll get you those last bits.

The game's decently entertaining. There's a simple thrill out of getting the star bits and going through the basic fetch quests. I can definitely imagine myself as a kid going "oh hey I remember where that is!" and beating the hint butterfly to there. Speaking of the hint butterfly, it's a bit too aggressive in leading you to where you need to go, but it definitely prevents things from becoming nuisances; especially when you have to find an object that wasn't on visible until the quest started.

The bunny herding minigame is surprisingly enthralling, and actually does feel decently tricky to get a good score. The dancing minigame is cute, but I wish there was more than one song. The other minigames are fine, but I wish there were more advanced versions.

Loading times feel longer than they should be, but they aren't Sonic 06 bad. There's a bit of slowdown in areas with a lot of objects, but it doesn't interfere with gameplay.

Voice acting is solid, but there are a fair number of grammar and spelling mistakes in the subtitles, particularly regarding capitalization. The story is as basic as they come, but notably contradicts the new Make Your Mark special, if that matters to you. The dialogue is pretty charming, with some new conversations if you talk to ponies after finishing their quest. There's one surprisingly hilarious sequence with a big bunny where you give it balloons and it flies away, leaving behind a group of bunnies. Sunny says, "He's leaving his friends behind?" and Hitch replies, "He didn't have any real friends."

Now, is it worth $40? Well if you're happy having it essentially as a decoration after you beat it and/or if you want to make sure we get more MLP games in the future, then sure. Or if you have a kid that would want it right now. If you have none of those motivations, then probably best to wait.

Durandal
Faithful Students

Re: My Little Pony: Maretime Bay Adventure

Post by Durandal (?) » Tue May 31, 2022 4:45 pm

Yeah, I saw this game for the first time yesterday. Seemed OK, but probably not $40 worth

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Re: My Little Pony: Maretime Bay Adventure

Post by Madeline (?) » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:05 pm

Worth noting that only the Switch version is $40, the other versions all seem to be $30