Vylet Pony appreciation thread

It's lovely, darling! (Fanart, Fanfics, Pony or not Pony. If you're creative, post here!)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Durandal
Faithful Students

Vylet Pony appreciation thread

Post by Durandal (?) » Mon May 30, 2022 9:14 pm

Y'all need to be listening to these two albums, so I'm making a thread for the first time in like 4 years. Also content warning on the lyrics, I guess :pinkieshrug:

CUTIEMARKS (And The Things That Bind Us)

This album is an absolute tour de force. It doesn't care about genre or convention or appeasing anyone. It goes from pop to punk to samba to dubstep to acoustic and is just taking you along for the ride. Many of the tracks reuse the same sample of a kid saying "SiNG A sOnG AboUT LiFe" and it's so condescending, and you imagine this kid and you just want to punch him in the face. THIS ALBUM is that distilled feeling. It IS that punch to some idiot's face because he does not know ANYTHING about your life, so just sit down and shut up and enjoy the show.

Favorite tracks:
BONNIE (for queer punk-rock angst)
WAYFARER (for unrequited love)
HOW TO KILL A MONSTER (for changing styles every 20 seconds but still making it work)
37.6486°N, 122.4296°W (for being melancholy and homesick and keeping it real for just a minute)

can opener's notebook: fish whisperer

More recent; I haven't had a chance to fully percolate with this one yet but it still has a lot of standouts. It follows a musician dealing with imposter syndrome and musically catalogues their feelings and experiences. I know there's a whole lore behind it that I'm not fully aware of, but the cohesion and the slow evolution of the sound is nice when listening all the way through. The eponymous track fish whisperer is a harmonic cascade near the album's finale which just blasts your soul like a tidal wave. Put on headphones and crank it.

Favorite tracks:
the yak song (for summing up the teen years in 5 minutes)
telephone (for pretty clever lyrics about "breaking up")
fish whisperer
dream library / time water / mayflower notebook (just vibin' with the fish)

SigmasonicX

Re: Vylet Pony appreciation thread

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:17 pm

She's great, yeah. I'm subscribed to her.

LingEarth

Re: Vylet Pony appreciation thread

Post by LingEarth (?) » Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:50 pm

Hell yeah, she's my favorite musician these days. :allears:

Both those albums are great, and Queen of Misfits is my other favorite album by her.

(She puts most of her songs up on youtube as well, but they're definitely worth buying IMO.)