i decided to download FF14 2 weeks ago and give the free trial a shot. this was a mistake

Come on in, come to the place where fun never ends. (Shenanigans!)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

i decided to download FF14 2 weeks ago and give the free trial a shot. this was a mistake

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:58 pm

me, two weeks ago: you know what, I've been interested in trying out FF14 for real but i don't want to spend a subscription to do so unless i somehow get really into it, but I honestly doubt it. not even sure if it works well on my pc (and my ps4 is tied up in an account from me sorta trying it years ago but not really). whatever. lets try it and then i'll finally know if I even care about it

me, after getting obsessed with the gold saucer, glamours, and slamming through most of the main ARR storyline: uh oh i think i like it a lot

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Re: i decided to download FF14 2 weeks ago and give the free trial a shot. this was a mistake

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:59 pm

help

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Re: i decided to download FF14 2 weeks ago and give the free trial a shot. this was a mistake

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:11 pm

:rip:

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:07 am

it’s fuckin wild that the free trial is basically just ARR and the first expansion’s worth of content, for free, as long as you’d like

Like, it just is like, it seems like a lot????

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:13 am

ARR has a lot of parts of the main story quest stuff that deffo feel like it’s a bit of padding. Like, the leadup to Titan. Or the runaround dealing with this asshole Inquisitor leading up to the Stone Vigil dungeon

Like, I’m still doing it and burning through the story at a pretty good clip, so I can’t really say that it’s unbearable or anything, but it’s definitely noticeable at points. The dungeons(mostly) and the combat and the trials so far have definitely been good, and the actual storyline is interesting when it’s actually moving, but there’s certainly bits where it’s just....not

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:15 am

I’m pretty sure I’m near the end though

I’ve gotta go beat up Garuda and I’m only missing one crystal, so I’m guessing when I defeat her, I’ll be off to ganon’s tower

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:17 am

It's very much a lot. Free trial originally only went up to about level 35 or so in ARR.

Now it goes all the way until the end of the Heavensward Post-MSQ content. It's basically a free JRPG with a free expansion pack added on.

What Data Center/Server are you on?

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:18 am

no really like, as I’m going through this ARR storyline I’m picking up these random elemental crystals that show up at certain points and they’re Important somehow, like a Zelda dungeon reward needed to unlock the final dungeon, especially since when I get them, I warp to the fiddy zone and add them to this magic circle

I’m not sure WHY they’re important exactly (or I forgot), but better safe than sorry

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:18 am

W.T. Fits wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:17 am
It's very much a lot. Free trial originally only went up to about level 35 or so in ARR.

Now it goes all the way until the end of the Heavensward Post-MSQ content. It's basically a free JRPG with a free expansion pack added on.

What Data Center/Server are you on?
Primal/Excalibur

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:28 am

Alas, I'm on Crystal/Diabolos, so we'll never run across each other.

That said, I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it. It's a pretty great game.

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:34 am

The lancer questline was pretty humdrum as well. It’s pretty basic training stuff but it’s hijacked by Some Asshole

This spear asshole really was basically just some guy who was wronged and now he’s decided to become a very boring edgelord, hoping to prove he’s the greatest of this basic starter class

I kicked his ass and he proceeded to stumble backwards off a cliff to his death

Dragoon seems more promising though. I’m training to take on the next spear asshole, but the spear asshole is a character I heard of via FFRK and he’s actually some sort of chosen one?

Also the dragoon lore seems to be in on the joke about how kain from FF4 was basically on this revolving door of betrayal due to various reasons, since you’re tapping into very bad/evil dragon power or something to become a heroic dragoon

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:12 am

Without getting too spoilery, I'll just say that a lot of stuff in the Dragoon job quests is eventually going to become extremely relevant to the main story quest.

As for the padding, yeah, it's kinda unfortunate that even after they streamlined most of the ARR stuff recently, there's still some obnoxious quest padding. If it makes you feel better? It used to be much worse. Remember that quest back in South Shroud where Buscaron wanted you to throw a bucket of water on some drunk to cool him off? It used to be you had to go around behind the bar, click on the bucket, walk over to the river, click on the bucket again to put it in the river, click on it again to fill it up, click on it AGAIN to pick it back up, then carry it back over to the bar and click on it one final time to throw it on the drunk asshole. :-I

Basically, back when they were designing ARR, they basically plotted out how long they wanted each bit of the story to take, and pretty much most of the main story quests were designed around the idea of each quest taking about 9-10 minutes. They've since gone back and trimmed out a lot of the more extraneous bits of padding (now Buscaron just gives you a full bucket to toss on the drunk), and even cut out a few unneeded quests here and there (having just recently replayed through the lead up to Titan on an alt, it was very noticeable to me where some quests that I'd remembered doing had been removed), but there's still an unfortunate number of places where it's obvious that they're just trying to drag things out.

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:18 pm

Wow that’s bad. Still, it’s not like, obnoxious “wow I hate this shit” bad in its current form. It’s padding, sure, but I can burn through it quick enough that even though it’s obviously padding, it doesn’t stick around long enough for it to actually make the experience a real drag for me.

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:22 pm

What server are you on? I am a FFXIV addict, and have been for years.

This was my Halloween glam this year. (won 1 costume contest too)

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:40 pm

The Doctor wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:22 pm
What server are you on? I am a FFXIV addict, and have been for years.
Aria Genisi wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:18 am
Primal/Excalibur

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:20 pm

Aria Genisi wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:40 pm
You should log in right now and come to Gridania... :smirk:

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:01 pm

Ok??

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:05 pm

Let me know if you ever need any help with anything.

Also, check your mog station account if you decide to go full version. If you say you were recruited by someone, we both get some free goodies in the game.

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodeston ... d_recruit/

here's my recruit code: DENR5RYP

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:55 pm

status update: I beat the ARR main storyline, and now I'm in the wide gulf of content between ARR's launch and the release of Hevensward

once garuda was defeated, the arr main storyline actually kicked into high gear and was some good shit. Ganon's castle, ganon's tower, and the fight against Metal Gear Ultima? That was the good shit right there.

Now I could actually go and get through all of the 2.X main story content, but right now I'm slowing down and doing a whole bunch of random shit. Unlocking new dungeons, including Hard Mode versions of past dungeons (I did Tam-Tara Hard and that was pretty incredible on how this version of the dungeon was basically nothing like the original, and was honestly even better) and such. I haven't actually done the dungeons yet, mostly just trying to unlock content and do a bunch of these Blue + quests, like I unlocked Labyrinth of the Ancients as part of Crystal Tower raid dungeons! I'm excited to try that one!

I met the wandering minstrel, who keeps making up shit about my accomplishments to make his works sound even more dramatic (and ends up unlocking some harder versions of bosses, like Ultima Weapon), I did all of the ARR Dragoon quests (though that was before I did the Ganon's Tower dungeon to finish ARR), unlocked the Blue Mage job (but haven't done any grinding or anything for it yet) just because I can, I traded in a bunch of tomestones for the Ironworks Spear, and it's really doing a great job for me. And I started doing a bunch of Hildebrand sidequests.

Holy shit the hildebrand questline is fucking incredible

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:56 pm

fuck, i'm genuinely considering buying this game after I get as far as the free trial will let me

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:02 pm

ps: here I am pre-ganon's tower, with the better dragoon armor and the helmet glamoured so I can actually see my face

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:03 pm

Some of the helms look cute on Miqo'te becausethey have little molded bumps for the ears.

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:01 am

my name is aria genisi, and this is my favorite ledge in ishgard

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:15 am

so, status update:
I cleared the entire ARR storyline
I cleared the HW 3.3 storyline
I've done all the alliance raids
I've done Coils of Bahamut, thanks to some friends carrying me as red mages
I've done the Alexander raids
I've gotten Dragoon and Dark Knight to level 60
I've done the Warring Triad quests

and I've been absolutely loving the shit out of this game, OOPS
Dragoon is always my main standby, but the Dark Knight job quests were incredible. Coils and Alexander were fantastic, Crystal Tower raids were great. Void Ark raids were a bit of a snoozefest storyline-wise, despite having you join sky pirates to stop horrible demons from gaining power and causing untold devastation, but the actual raids were fun to play. I'm loving the hell out of the story, and while ARR definitely dragged in places, which held it back from truly excelling, the HW storyline has been pretty fuckin great overall, with the last major story thing I did, the Final Steps of Faith, being my favorite trial in the game thus far.

I'm slowly making my way to the end of the 3.x MSQs and once I'm finished with that, I'll be done with FF14 until I actually buy the game sometime next year. this has legit been one of my favorite games this year, and while I do wanna keep playing past the HW content, I do actually feel like taking a break to play some other games that I own first before I go buying up another big one

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:14 am

Did you know that the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV has a free trial, and includes the entirety of A Realm Reborn AND the award-winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 with no restrictions on playtime?
ImageImage Image Image

;) ❤️ :twasnothin: ❤️ :fancyhat:

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:27 am

I actually got gifted FF14 at the start of the year and I proceeded to spend January and February playing both Stormblood and Shadowbringers expansions

FF14 fucking rules, and I'm now yet another person who is joking about the ff14 free trial meme (but also being sincere about it)

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:36 am

rip wow
ImageImage Image Image

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:10 pm

lmao
ImageImage Image Image

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:48 am

rip
ImageImage Image Image

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:50 pm

https://www.pcgamer.com/final-fantasy-1 ... -warcraft/

not a super great headline imo, but the article is good, and is just

yoshi-p, the producer of this game, is a treasure

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:15 pm

Aria Genisi wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:50 pm
yoshi-p, the producer of this game, is a treasure
Three days ago, he posted about the current state of the game and how they're struggling to alleviate the congestion caused by the sudden influx of new players and personally apologized for not having foreseen it coming.

Today, he posts this as a post script to a quick news post about how they're going to have to do an emergency maintenance on the EU servers to test out a new configuration that will allow them to increase the player cap:

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:31 pm

Here i am, resubbed, and with Endwalker pre-ordered, and doing various content I haven't done yet and trying to level up DRK to 80. I can't believe that this is my life now.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:23 pm

Is it still a mistake?

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:35 pm

Fizzbuzz wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:23 pm
Is it still a mistake?
it would be a mistake on your part if you haven't checked out the expanded free trial for the hit MMORPG, Final Fantasy 14, which allows you to progress up to level 60 and includes the critically acclaimed Heavensward expansion

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:14 am

the real mistake is the friends we made along the way
ImageImage Image Image

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:03 pm

This entire early access weekend has been every server jam packed with people and queues of around 5k-6k at peak hours. it's nuts

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:05 pm

the actual servers themselves have been quite stable with very little problems (if at all), but you really gotta keep an eye on the login queue while you wait, so you don't accidently lose your position if you get hit with a 2002 error with the login server