I just want to shitpost, okay?

There are too many subforums. Please eliminate three.
Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

I just want to shitpost, okay?

Post by Quanta (?) » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:10 pm

That's why I mostly post in the shitpost forum. Having my shitposty threads moved because they mentioned a video game or some shit is fucking annoying.

Yes, I'm mad.
ImageImage
Image3DS Friend Code: 2852-6885-2752

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Re: I just want to shitpost, okay?

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:20 pm

Threads about video games go in the video game forum because, when they were fully allowed in PPPP in the past, they persistently occupied a lot of space on the front page and choked out threads about anything else. You can still make shitposts in Funland Arcade; that's why it says "looser posting styles allowed" in the forum subtitle.

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:29 pm

Funland Arcade doesn't get nearly the same amount of traffic as it did when it was a subforum of PPPP. Like, this isn't just annoying when I'm trying to make a dumb garbage thread about a video game I'm playing, it's annoying when I'm trying to drum up interest for shit like Mario Maker and whatnot, because it's basically kneecapping my ability to drum up interest for the thing I want to do with people. Why even bother then?
ImageImage

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:38 pm

Funland Arcade could be moved back. It was moved out due to recent versions of phpBB changing how the unread posts icon on the forum index appeared if there were unread post in a subforum but not its main forum (Cosmo had to manually program that functionality on the old forums, basically). If people generally wouldn't mind then Kefka or VoidChicken could possibly put it back under PPPP.

But beyond that, I wonder if the problem's a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you assume no one reads Funland Arcade and post in PPPP even if you have content appropriate for Funland Arcade, I feel that might serve to divert traffic from Funland Arcade, possibly making more people assume no one reads Funland Arcade.

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:48 pm

I mean, I could also point out other threads that could be better placed in other forums. Just looking at the first page of topics, I see:

- a thread about a TV show (Cider Stand)
- a thread about bizarre art (Creation Station)
- a thread for furry art (Creation Station)
- an anime thread (Cider Stand)
- a thread about the poster's favourite lines from each MLP episode (General Ponies)
- a thread about pictures people relate to (Cider Stand)
- a thread about stuff people find funny (Cider Stand)
- a thread asking for D&D players (Oubliettes & Ogres)
- a thread about dreams (Cider Stand)

Somehow, none of these threads are getting moved, even though there are more suitable forums available.
ImageImage

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:59 pm

You're right, it is specific to video games. That's because it was all the gaming threads that used to get posted in PPPP that had the combined problems of being interesting only to a relatively small audience, getting a lot of activity from that audience, and the existence of a significant number of them in general. Most other more specific subjects either waxed and waned as posting fads came and went, or they only got bumped just enough to where they didn't linger around on the first page constantly, but video games had just the right combination of factors to where we moved Funland Arcade under PPPP and started moving all those threads there.

Now, that's a policy that we've had in place since 2016 or so, thus predating the horsepocalypse. It's been quite a while since then and I at least would be willing to reconsider whether we still need it. Nowadays we could save moving of video game threads for those that are likely to turn into megathreads instead of just dropping off after a few pages, perhaps.

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:02 pm

Nowadays we could save moving of video game threads for those that are likely to turn into megathreads instead of just dropping off after a few pages, perhaps.
That's certainly a more worthwhile compromise than "Sounds videogamish, better move it".
ImageImage

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:43 pm

Please move funland back to being a subsubforum, life was beautiful when that was the way of things
ImageImageImageImage

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:45 pm

Besides, 'looser posting styles allowed' basically means nothing anymore since people can goof off in basically any forum other than Soapbox or Cottage. :v:
ImageImageImageImage

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:11 am

You can shitpost in Funland Arcade, OP. Like, I'm not being facetious about that, that's been the premise for a while, and I'm absolutely encouraging you to do it.
Image /// Image /// Image

Perpetual Motion
Enthusiasm makes everything an adventure.

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:27 am

Do people really not click on threads in the Arcade? Like, the daily traffic on the site is low enough that keeping up with everything posted is incredibly easy, so if that forum lights up, clicking on it and reading the posts seems like a no-brainer. That's what I do, at least. Is the fact that I default my browsing to the forum as a whole rather than just PPPP to keep an eye on the whole site just weird? It's literally just one click, so it doesn't exactly inconvenience people to do it. If people are ignoring the video game threads on purpose, why would them existing in PPPP cause people to participate in them when they wouldn't otherwise?

The Ghost of Ember
don't you feel so scared sometimes?

Post by The Ghost of Ember (?) » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:30 pm

We should really just be consolidating the forums down to a smaller amount of subforums. There's not enough traffic for what we have and since there's no interest in getting new blood there's little reason not to consolidate so that its easier for the remaining folks to see whats happening.

Edit: My suggestion for consolidation:
Merge Gen Ponies and Rarity's Creation Station

Make spoilers and media releases subforums of Gen Ponies

Merge the Cider Stand, Funland Arcade, PPPP, maybe the soapbox as well
RIP Syndrome wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:56 pm
this universe is cursed

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:56 pm

Perrydotto wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:11 am
You can shitpost in Funland Arcade, OP. Like, I'm not being facetious about that, that's been the premise for a while, and I'm absolutely encouraging you to do it.
Perry, what we do that we call 'poo poo posting' (even now I am unable to type a swear, I am sorry :twonk: ) is something that would be allowed in any forum on this forum other than the cottage... and even then maybe. :-I

Because what we mostly post is sincere things but while acting goofy, we don't really do irony here that much. People don't fakepost stuff as jokes so much, it's mostly sincere :v:
ImageImageImageImage

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:57 pm

I guess my main point is I don't really see the need for PPPP to be like, seperated from the rest of the forum in the first place anymore. We are silly fun goofs no matter where we post
ImageImageImageImage

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:06 pm

When you look at the number of topics and posts in PPPP in comparison to Funland, it does raise the question of why we even have the latter to begin with.

Sorry I'll try to make an effort post later but I don't want to make any arguments without doing some proper research first. :spike101:
ImageImageImage

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:59 am

It made sense when there was a lot of activity and video game threads took over pppp, but these days not so much.
ImageImage Image Image

;) ❤️ :twasnothin: ❤️ :fancyhat: