Let's Lose Weight Together!

Good posts, good friends. (General Offtopic)
Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Let's Lose Weight Together!

Post by Octavia (?) » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:56 am

It's a brand new year and if you're like me, you've spent pretty much the entire period from Thanksgiving through New Year's stuffing your face with delicious holiday food and sweets. But now it's time to get back to my normal weight so I can repeat the vicious cycle next holiday season. :-P

Back when I was in college, I lost 130 lbs. using Weight Watchers. Even though I stopped going to the weekly meetings about ten years ago, I still use the old Weight Watchers plan that gives you a daily points allotment and every food you eat has a certain number of points. It's basically a system of calorie counting. Even though it worked extremely well for me, there are tons of ways to lose weight out there, so try whatever you want!

Here are some tips to losing weight that I've picked up along the way:
  • Don't weigh yourself every day. Your weight fluctuates a lot in a given day and you'll go crazy if you constantly deal with the ups and downs. Pick a time once a week and weigh yourself at the same time every week to give yourself a more accurate idea of your progress.
  • Diet matters more than exercise. Exercise absolutely helps you shed pounds faster, but unless you're an Olympic-level athlete, it's not going to give you an excuse to constantly eat junk food.
  • Use a food scale. The serving size of most food products is laughably small. Weigh your food before you eat it to know exactly how many calories you're consuming.
  • Cook your own food. It allows you to exactly control what goes into your body.
  • It's a marathon, not a sprint. Everyone loses weight at their own pace and there are a ton of different factors that go into how quickly you shed pounds. Having a bad week does not mean you should just give up.
It's also a lot easier to stay motivated when you have a support system of people who are trying to lose weight with you, so let's use this thread to share our strategies, commiserate in our struggles, and celebrate our victories! :party:

Time for me to step on that scale... :nngh:

Starting weight: 224.6 lbs

My goal is to get below 200 lbs. I'm hoping to reach that goal in 3 months, which would mean an average weekly weight loss of 1.9 lbs.

Good luck, everyone! :yay:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Lhet

Re: Let's Lose Weight Together!

Post by Lhet (?) » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:10 pm

Ok sure I'm in. Broke 160 over the holidays, which is no good. College I was mid 130s, and I kept it around 140 for a long time but have eaten a bit much junk and not really exercised the last 5 years or so, and some shirts are fitting a bit tighter than I'd like. Goal is to get under 150.

Lhet

Post by Lhet (?) » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:41 pm

Here are my strats:
-Find more places to eat lunch - Since I moved buildings I've been going to VeggieGrill a lot, which generally ends up being 900+ calorie meal of sandwich and fries. I just today found that 2 blocks away there's a nice wrap/salad place where I can get a very filling <500cal lunch. Feel better too afterwards.
-Stock up on convenient breakfasts (e.g. energy bars). If I'm in a hurry I'll sometimes get a muffin at the coffeeshop right by my apartment, and those are reaaallly bad. Having Clif bars or similar on hand saves money and calories.
-Get better bad snacks. I watch anime/movies with my partner lots of weekend nights, and often get chips/sour candies/etc. Things like Mango Chili Lime Harvest Snaps are tasty enough to satisfy the trashy snack urge, but quite a bit safer than potato chips.
-Go climbing at least every other week. I'm super out of climbing shape but I have a good group of friends who regularly climb, so I don't have a good excuse not to go at least sometimes.
-Leave more leftovers when I cook really nice food. I have a tendency to make a lot of good food then eat too much of it. Need to get better about leaving enough leftovers for a full meal instead of eating 90% and pushing myself to finish it.
-Drink a glass of water/tea/crystal lite/whatever before any alcohol. It's too easy to have one more beer because I'm actually just kinda thirsty rather than because I actually want another.
-It's alright to break rules sometimes, but don't ever think "well it's already broken so might as well do whatever".

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:25 pm

Lhet wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:41 pm
-Get better bad snacks. I watch anime/movies with my partner lots of weekend nights, and often get chips/sour candies/etc. Things like Mango Chili Lime Harvest Snaps are tasty enough to satisfy the trashy snack urge, but quite a bit safer than potato chips.
I get Pop Chips to fill my potato chip urge. They're really tasty and they aren't fried, so they have way fewer calories and fat than regular chips.

Also, I got an air fryer for Christmas, so I've been making french fries and home fries that are a fraction of the calories/fat as regular ones. You can also toss garbanzo beans, peas, or any other frozen vegetable in an air fryer for a delicious crispy snack.

Geomancing
Patreon supporter

Post by Geomancing (?) » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:41 pm

I'll join up. At my peak last year, or valley, whichever, I weighed 180 pounds at 6'1". My goal at that point was to get to 170, then take a look at myself to see whether I had lost anything from the region I hate most, the middle-age gut. As of right now, I am at 190 and reducing my portions, making more healthy stuff, but I have an ungodly temptation to dig into this candy my sister gave me for Christmas. It was like eight pounds, sheesh. Further goals is to take advantage of decent weather and get some walking done around the neighborhood; a loop is a bit over a mile.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:32 am

Week 1 is always the best. :rip: water weight! :cooliebelle:

Week 1 Weight: 215.2 lbs
Weekly Difference: -9.4 lbs
Total Difference: -9.4 lbs

There's zero chance of keeping up this pace and with so much loss this week, it's possible I'll be up a little next week, but I'm off to a good start! :yay:

Lhet

Post by Lhet (?) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:39 pm

Dang, I'm down maybe 1. Work keeps on buying lunch for our team which has made it hard.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:12 am

Blurry scale photo:

Week 2 Weight: 212.8 lbs
Weekly Difference: -2.4 lbs
Total Difference: -11.8 lbs

Excellent week. Hoping to keep up this pace for the next few weeks. I even managed to be good during my annual chili cook-off last Sunday.

Big Boss
A tourist trap that can surpass Mystery Shack?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:01 am

I need to get in better shape. I've always been a big guy. I lost a lot of weight when I was getting out of high school, but I've put a lot of it back on over the years since. It's time for a change. I don't eat too terribly, but I need to get back in the routine of going to the gym and doing regular daily exercise.

Fortunately, one of the things that's helping to motivate me is my new Apple watch. It's funny how good "closing the rings" feels, and I'm even doing a competition this week with my podcast co-host. I also bought a bluetooth enabled scale to track things on the health app on my phone. I should have bought it when I got the watch - I just got it this week. I have no idea what I was back in December when I started, so when I got the watch I guessed 260. When I got the scale on the 13th, it read 261.5. This morning, I stepped on and it read 256.1. I was definitely more than 261.5 back in December, but I figured I would have gotten rid of most of the "water weight" over the first two weeks of January.

Anyway, I'm not expecting this pace to hold up. My goal is to lose a pound a week and hopefully be 230-ish around the summertime. I feel that is realistic and achievable if I stick to my plan. Then I can keep going from there.

Since getting my apple watch it on December 28th, I've been doing at least 45 if not 60 minutes of exercise a day, which constitutes multiple multi-mile walks and sprints. Once I move in February I'll be able to go to the gym at work and do more training. Even when I was on vacation in Florida for AGDQ, I did one daily 2.5 mile walk-run on top of all the convention walking. It helped that they had a nice duck poind with a circular walking track in the airbnb's neighborhood!

I even went out for two and a half mile walk-runs when it was ten degrees outside. I guess I am taking this seriously.

BTW, if anyone wants to be Apple Watch Best Fitness Friends, let me know and we can do invites!

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:19 am

Week 3 Weight: 211.2 lbs
Weekly Difference: -1.6 lbs
Total Difference: -13.4 lbs

I was sick all week, so couldn't exercise, but down is down. I'll take it.

Lhet

Post by Lhet (?) » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:02 pm

Was on vacation last weekend which seems to have partially reset some progress, so went a bit harder this week. Only one meal Wednesday to reset my appetite, and very light eating on Thursday brought me to 157, so -3.7 pounds or so. Hopefully I'll be manage a neutralish weekend, which should be possible given how much my appetite has shrunk in just a couple days, but also I'm making pizza with friends on Saturday so who knows...

Big Boss
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:59 am

Saturday weigh in: 253.4. Not bad. I did twice a day 2.25 mile walks all week, and I beat my podcast co-host in an Apple Watch activity challenge. I'm moving next Saturday and I need to make it through the week doing some exercise while packing.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:57 am

Week 4 Weight: 209.0 lbs
Weekly Difference: -2.2 lbs
Total Difference: -15.6 lbs

Still chugging along nicely. The Super Bowl is going to be a big challenge, so I'm bringing my own tray of vegetables and making a dip out of greek yogurt, light mayo, and a whole bunch of herbs.

Big Boss
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:51 am

Sunday weigh-in (because I was busy moving into my new place on Saturday) is an astounding 248.2. Now, to be fair that's my morning "wake up, haven't eaten breakfast yet" and earlier in the week I was in the 251 range, but all this week I went to the gym and did half an hour on a treadmill, bike, or elliptical along with 10 minutes of a rower. That's on top of a lunchtime two mile walk.

It may also be that the scale weighs differently on the new bathroom floor (it's not pure hard tile but that sort of synthetic stuff). I'll call it 249 and be happy that I'm under 250 for the first time in a lot of years.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:30 pm

Yay Big Boss! :yay:

My partner and I spent all day baking cupcakes and cornbread for a Super Bowl party and I'm not gonna eat any of it. :fluttersmith:

I did make some healthy greek yogurt veggie dip though, so I'm gonna stick to that.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:14 am

Week 5 Weight: 206.4 lbs
Weekly Difference: -2.6 lbs
Total Difference: -18.2 lbs

Progress! :party:

My partner's birthday is tomorrow and I'm taking him out to a nice restaurant, so there will be one cheat day this week. I'm hoping all this momentum I'm carrying will help me get through and I'll still be able to lose some weight.
Last edited by Octavia on Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Big Boss
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:13 am

Sunday weigh in: 246.4. Progress! :pinkietoot: That means 15 pounds since I started weighing myself. I should have bought a scale the minute I got the apple watch in December so I can know how far down I've truly gone (my guess is I was 265 in December), but i have to admit I had fear of scales for a while. Now I've put that behind me, and I will be the lord of the scale.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:20 am

Week 6 Weight: 204.6 lbs
Weekly Difference: -1.8 lbs
Total Difference: -20.0 lbs

Hooray! I hit 20 lbs! :yay:

Unlike the last two weeks, I have no big food challenges this week, so I'm just gonna stay the course.

Big Boss
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:32 am

Sunday weigh in: 242.7. Getting very close to 20 pounds since getting the scale and posting in the thread. :toot:

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:24 am

Week 7 Weight: 203.8 lbs
Weekly Difference: -0.8 lbs
Total Difference: -20.8 lbs

I was good all week, so not even losing a pound is a bit disappointing, but these kind of plateaus are common. Just gotta push through and keep doing what I've been doing.

Big Boss
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:14 am

Sunday weigh in: 239.5. Under 240 for the first time in years. Feels good. :-I

Lhet

Post by Lhet (?) » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:12 pm

Down ~5 pounds now. Going kinda slowly but that makes sense considering I'm mostly ignoring it on weekends.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:41 am

Week 8 Weight: 203.6 lbs
Weekly Difference: -0.2 lbs
Total Difference: -21.0 lbs

Another week of being good not being rewarded by the scale. :ohrarity:

This is pretty much the weight I was stuck at before the holidays. Ever since I started taking Lexapro about 6 months ago, I haven't been able to get below 200. I'm restricting myself to 1,400 calories a day and I play hockey for about 6 hours a week, so it seems bonkers that I'm not losing weight more quickly.

Big Boss
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:29 am

Sunday weigh in: 238.5. I have a feeling the plateau is coming. March is a new month, though, and I managed to do my routine every day in February and get to the gym after work almost every day. Also, one of my upstairs colleagues mentioned that I lost a few without me mentioning it, so it's definitely having an affect on my physique!

Geomancing
Patreon supporter

Post by Geomancing (?) » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:25 am

Weigh in this morning was 187.3. That's about my baseline weight, and it's a real struggle to get it down from there.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:18 am

Week 9 Weight: 201.4 lbs
Weekly Difference: -2.2 lbs
Total Difference: -23.2 lbs

Finally broke through that stupid plateau. :yeahhh:

Not too many challenges coming up in the following weeks, so I should be free and clear to keep eating healthy. I'm just hoping I don't hit more plateaus.

Big Boss
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:22 am

Sunday weigh in: 235 even. March is off to a good start. :party:
Octavia wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:18 am
Finally broke through that stupid plateau. :yeahhh:
YEAH!

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:25 am

Week 10 Weight: 197.6 lbs
Weekly Difference: -3.8 lbs
Total Difference: -27 lbs
Octavia wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:56 am
My goal is to get below 200 lbs. I'm hoping to reach that goal in 3 months, which would mean an average weekly weight loss of 1.9 lbs.
M I S S I O N A C C O M P L I S H E D :jingo:

I'm feeling much lighter and more athletic when I play hockey now, and it takes noticeably longer for me to get tired on the ice. My teammates noticed I'm playing better as well.

I think my ideal weight is 185, but I'm very happy where I am at the moment. I'll be visiting family in 2 weeks (assuming flights don't get canceled because of coronavirus) and I'm definitely planning on eating more while I'm there, so I'm going to allow myself a break during that time.

Big Boss
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:41 am

Congrats Octavia for reaching your goal! :party:

As for me, I was 231 even on the scale this morning. That means 30 pounds since I started weighing myself in mid-January. Time to set the next goal, which is 200 pounds by the end of the summer (September?). I think I can do it.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:36 pm

Big Boss wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:41 am
Congrats Octavia for reaching your goal! :party:

As for me, I was 231 even on the scale this morning. That means 30 pounds since I started weighing myself in mid-January. Time to set the next goal, which is 200 pounds by the end of the summer (September?). I think I can do it.
Thanks, and congrats to you as well! :yay:

COVID-19 has canceled all of my hockey for the next few weeks, so there goes the only form of exercise I actually enjoy. :ohrarity:

Big Boss
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:58 pm

COVID-19 also means working from home for me for the foreseeable future, which means no gym. I'll keep doing my walking/running, but without the elliptical and exercise bike I think my pace of loss will slow.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:07 am

Week 11 Weight: 196.2 lbs
Weekly Difference: -1.4 lbs
Total Difference: -28.4 lbs

All my hockey has been canceled, so there goes the only form of exercise I enjoy. :ohrarity:

Big Boss
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:37 am

Sunday weigh in: 226.1. That's, uh, a very good week.

With enforced work from home, I haven't been to the gym, so I've literally been doing the extra mile on the 2x daily walks by going 3 miles twice instead of 2.4.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:25 am

Week 12 Weight: 196.0 lbs
Weekly Difference: -0.2 lbs
Total Difference: -28.6 lbs

Fun Fact: It is difficult to lose weight when you're forced to stay inside all day and the only form of exercise you enjoy has been taken from you. :spike101:

In the 3 months that I've been dieting this year, I've only eaten more than 1,400 calories in a single day once, which was on my partner's birthday. I've been going stir-crazy and have decided that tomorrow will be another cheat day for me, just so I can do something to make me feel like a human again. It will be the first time I've eaten pizza all year and I can't wait. :excite:

Big Boss
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:52 am

Sunday weigh-in: 223.7. I miss the gym. Walks are doing the job, I guess. At least my neighborhood is pretty quiet and most people on the street are doing the social distance thing.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:47 am

Week 13 Weight: 194.2 lbs
Weekly Difference: -1.8 lbs
Total Difference: -30.4 lbs

Crossed the 30 lb threshold! :party:

So I guess my day off of eating pizza didn't end up hurting me. Weird that I'd lose only 0.2 lbs the week where I was perfect, but 1.8 lbs the week where I had a day of eating poorly, but I'm not complaining. :pinkieshrug:

With Illinois' shelter-in-place being extended to April 30, it means I'm gonna be going even longer without hockey, so I dug out my old exercise bike yesterday and plan on biking 3 days a week. Man, it's so much more boring than hockey. :ohrarity:

Big Boss
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:22 am

Sunday weigh-in: 222.8. I think last week's 223.7 was a little optimistic because the next day I was 224.4 (as I was on the day before that). Either way it's still down, but maybe I'm feeling the lack of gym. I started running up and down the stairs for fifteen minutes twice a day in addition to the outside time to try to get my heart rate up.
With Illinois' shelter-in-place being extended to April 30, it means I'm gonna be going even longer without hockey, so I dug out my old exercise bike yesterday and plan on biking 3 days a week. Man, it's so much more boring than hockey. :ohrarity:
My coworker recommended a cheap Xterra folding bike that he uses. He's pretty into this stuff, so I think I'm going to order one.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:39 am

Week 14 Weight: 193.6 lbs
Weekly Difference: -0.6 lbs
Total Difference: -31.0 lbs

It's gonna be a real slog from here on out since I'm so close to my ideal weight, so I'm not too worried about the pounds shedding more slowly. Since I've started doing regular cardio via the exercise bike, I find that I'm a lot hungrier, unfortunately. I'm planning on another cheat day this week. I think one every two weeks is just fine and I need them for my sanity.

Big Boss
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:13 am

Sunday weigh in: 219.7. I got my bike on Friday. It's not bad for a cheap bike, I did 45 minutes on Friday instead of going outside since it was raining. It's easy to just put on two episodes of the Simpsons or Futurama while riding it, and it definitely works up a sweat.

Lhet

Post by Lhet (?) » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:00 pm

Still kinda moving slowly, largely because I ignore this completely most weekends, and can't get out much for activity now, but I'm at a sustainable ever so slightly downward trend, which is good.