A New Half-Life

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

RIP Syndrome
i can be yuor angle... or you´re DEBIL
Rainbow Racers

A New Half-Life

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:08 am

...VR game is going to be announced next Wednesday!!! This time it's for realsies!!! Wow!!! Look at this!!!

https://www.pcgamer.com/rumour-valve-ar ... life-alyx/
PC Gamer wrote:Rumour: Valve is about to announce a VR game called Half-Life: Alyx
We'll believe it when we see it.

Update: According to a new transcript of the leaked interview, Half-Life: Alyx will be shown at The Game Awards on December 12.

Original story: This November 19 will mark the 21st anniversary of the release of the original Half-Life, and according to rumor it will also be when Valve announce a flagship virtual reality game called Half-Life: Alyx.

"March 2020, "Half-Life: Alyx" comin' out", says Geoff in the transcript.

Responding to the question of whether this game would be available for players without VR headsets, "I mean we would love to be delivering a version of this that you could play with a mouse and a keyboard, but like as we said, it began as an exploration of VR," an unnamed person replies.
This is it boys and girls and everyone else!!! This will surely happen!!! Valve will surely not disappoint this time!!! More VR and more Half-Life is exactly what everyone always wanted!!!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1T7D ... qk/preview
Definitely real transcript of a definitely real interview wrote:Update: Before you read, here's something you should know: PC Gamer decided to run this story, with this document linked inside of it. This was an awful decision on their part, as it has the possibility to delay the actual teaser, or release of the game. You should be ashamed of yourselves for deciding to run a story for clicks alone. I personally ask that you stop supporting them, and support Tyler McVicker, a content creator who runs stories on Nintendo, Valve, and Bethesda instead, as he puts much, much more effort into his content. If you're looking for full information on HLVR, and HL:A, I suggest this video.

Screw you, PC Gamer, and screw your standards.

Sincerely, NCE, and the rest of the VNN community.
fuckin' lmao this is new!!! I definitely believe you, document. this is certainly what will happen and screw bideo jamg jurnalzists for doing a jurnalzism. it's their fault if it all goes to shit, not our weirdo Valve leaker cult's. this message definitely not brought to you by Tyler "I'll believe anything" McVicker who routinely reports on the most vague of nonsense leaks and overhypes things that literally don't even exist because he's pointlessly gullible and himself the worst kind of clickbait artist.
Definitely real rest of leak wrote:(from Geoff, assumingly:) "but why does this have to be VR only? Which you know is a fair concern for people, right? It's like, are they forcing me to buy VR to have the next "Half-Life" experience? Is that just 'cause you think the opportunity for innovation was sort of in the VR space with this? You're not doing a flat screen version of this game, right?”

(in response to Geoff:) “Yeah, I mean we would love to be delivering a version of this that you could play with a mouse and a keyboard, but as we said,
it began as an exploration of VR,” (snippet ends)

---

(Geoff speaking, assumingly:) “But then again it brings - obviously to this one, and why this, why now? Some people would probably cynically say, oh Valve has to go back to making games now that Epic's chippin' away at Steam, and "Artifact" wasn't necessarily the hit
everyone wanted it to be” (snippet ends)

---

(Geoff speaking to Robin, assumingly:) “March 2020, "Half-Life: Alyx" comin' out, and again, yeah, we'll do "The Final Hours" next year. You know, it's been so fun to do those with "Half-Life", "Half-Life 2", "Portal", and that will take everyone through really the past decade at Valve and all that you guys have been through, all the experiments that you don't know about,” (snippet ends)

---

(Unknown speaker, presumably Gabe:) “You can see their whole body-- Respond to the situation. You know, panicking, dropping clips on the ground as they fumble their weapons 'cause a zombie's in front of them, all these things, they're just - it's been really fun watching playtests.

Anyway, so yeah, it's been really fun to build this. I think wherever we go next, or whatever platform, whatever we focus on, I think we're excited-- Come on Robin (walker), say it!”

---

(Geoff speaking, presumably:) ”We wanna know why -- No but as you said, the engine is now at a point where it's like, you can do this stuff now, right?”
(Unknown speaker, presumably Gabe:) "Yeah, the engine is ready now. I think it's like Robin says, we want to put this out and see how the world reacts to it before we make any concrete plans about what we do next." (snippet ends)

---

(Geoff:) “Right, March, you're callin' it?”

(Unknown speaker:) In March, yep. The trailer. But I think people probably wonder, okay, moving forward does this mean that Valve now is just making VR games? Are we going to get that Half-Life 3, or that new big, epic kind of Valve game down the road? Or is it, oh now we're makin' VR games, that's what we do?

I mean, we're very excited about this, but you know, until we ship, you never know. Maybe we're all really wrong, and it's terrible. We have to wait and see what the reception is like.” (snippet ends)

---

(Geoff:) Speaking of "Half-Life: Alyx", (It will be at) The Game Awards, December 12th. We will have more to share with you on the game there so I hope you get to tune in. I'm excited to show more of it there.

Thanks for watching, and get ready. "Half-Life's" back in 2020.” (end of snippet)
anyway I leave the rest of this to you to decide, PPPP. is this indeed a real interview that we will see next Wednesay oh no I'm sorry at some indeterminate point in the future because PC Gamer just ruined everything by... reporting on a rumor Tyler himself is betting his whole reputation on.
this post and you´re face ™&©20234 R.I.P. Shitpostal Service LLC
for licensing inquiries, please contact :twisted:, VP of Licensing at R.I.P. Enterprises
~ORIGINAILL COUNTENTEH SINCE 1666 DONTE is good STEEL PLS~

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Re: A New Half-Life

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:11 am

lmao
ImageImage Image Image

;) ❤️ :twasnothin: ❤️ :fancyhat:

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:14 am

I really can't believe the best case scenario is Valve pulls a stupid fucking Valve move and announces a VR prequel to Half-Life 2 that nobody asked for and nobody really wants to play either

No wait, that's exactly what Valve would do. I totally believe that.
for licensing inquiries, please contact :twisted:, VP of Licensing at R.I.P. Enterprises

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:17 am

people should just admit that HL3 has been dead for years and move on
ImageImage Image Image

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:32 am

DaikatunaRevengeance wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:17 am
people should just admit that HL3 has been dead for years and move on
Half-Life 3? Sure it never even really existed. AFAIK there were a bunch of attempts, some of which got surprisingly far but nothing stuck in the end. Episode Three never materialized despite years of trying in the 2006-2009 era and people moved on to other projects. Any attempts at HL3 were entirely separate from that, and probably had nothing to do with Episode Two story wise

But HLVR? Too much smoke at this point. Valve did say they were gonna do a VR flagship title this year. It's been rumored since forever. Code's been found consistently in Valve game updates. The problem: it's Valve. They could just decide that actually it's a bad idea and scrap it tomorrow. It might've been scrapped months ago. It could be releasing next week. It's literally impossible to say for sure, other than it did indeed exist for many, many years and a lot of the pieces fit together - Valve's Index VR headset, Valve wanting to earn back some of their reputation, Valve being dumb and making the wrong kind of new Half-Life game...

But that said I don't believe for one fuckin' second VNN is right and it's being announced next Wednesday. it's not happening. he's been so consistently wrong about everything that the only part of his magical tale of the VR exclusive Half-Life 2 prequel starring Alyx Vance I'm willing to believe is that it exists and might even be a prequel starring Alyx Vance

Perpetual Motion
Enthusiasm makes everything an adventure.

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:55 am

I don't think anyone actually thinks HL3 is ever coming out. Duke Nukem Forever was memed into existence and sucks, so people largely learned their lesson.

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:03 am

Damn it mods stop moving my shitposting threads to games!!!

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:44 am

don't stop
ImageImage Image Image

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:16 am

Also apparently the announcement is supposed to be this Tuesday but I swear somebody kept repeating Wednesday and confused me

Also apparently Tyler edited out the "screw PC Gamer" part from the document but kept the opening rant lol

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:17 am

LMAO apparently he deleted the whole thing

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:17 am

Oopsie daisy we made a fucky wucky and now everyone knows that Geoff Keighley supposedly called Bellevue Seattle in our interview leaks

Not that I remember if that actually was in the transcript but somebody said it was and I believe everything I read online

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:46 pm

Why would anyone want a HL 3 after so long? it would never live up to expectations and people would just be upset and bitter

Let the past go

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:34 pm

I mean doom 4 was surprisingly good after a really long break, but on the other hand half life was bad

get dunked on, half life
ImageImageImageImage

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:44 pm

rip
ImageImage Image Image

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:40 pm

I dunno. I think even getting another game along the lines of Half-Life 2 would be a breath of fresh air after the kind of garbage that comes out of almost every other AAA studio these days.

That said, Valve can't even get their shit together enough to bring their new engine to a finished state, despite announcing it six goddamn years ago and having already ported one of their existing games over to it. You really have to wonder if life at Valve is just a nonstop hookers-and-blow party or something.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:48 pm

The real answer isn't that far from your joke; Valve prides itself in its flat hierarchy that supposedly encourages creativity, but they reportedly also give bonuses to people who make stuff that sells well and they fire people who perform in the lowest 20% of "ranking" within the company, sooooo ...

Basically all you get are people who want to make Dota skins that sell well to net bonuses, and everything else is horrid office politics because of the unhelpful leadership (and lack therof). Folks at Valve can famously pick and choose what they want to make, and making new games is a risk and doing customer service doesn't do bonuses, so any of the shit that we'd perceive as "getting their shit together" simply isn't getting done.
Image /// Image /// Image

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:04 pm

Perrydotto wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:48 pm
and they fire people who perform in the lowest 20% of "ranking" within the company
Wait, like, every year? No wonder things are such a mess; they're probably down to like ten people by this point.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:24 am

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:25 am

I cannot believe it, but at the same time I knew it was happening once I saw that a complete version of the transcript leaked. Turns out Tyler's typical Valve fanboyism is why he was so nervous about the reveal

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:41 am

Also the reveal is not on Tuesday, it's not on Wednesday, it's on Thursday. And the announcement came on Monday. Everybody is wrong and stupid, confirmed

!saak
🎜 joie de vivre 🎜
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:12 am

🤷

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:53 am

Pocket wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:04 pm
Wait, like, every year? No wonder things are such a mess; they're probably down to like ten people by this point.
Yeah apparently! The practice is called Stack Ranking and was apparently practiced at Microsoft at the time Gabe Newell left, so he implemented it at Valve too.

Worth noting: Stack ranking is fucking terrible and counterproductive, and Microsoft stopped using it sometime later. Valve, as far as we know, has not stopped.

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:15 am

i am amazed at how absurdly bad valve's organization is
ImageImage Image Image

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:12 am

Valve's problems aren't the flat management and stack ranking, it's dumb cliques, senior employees being de facto bosses, Gaben not caring about anything other than playing Dota 2 against bots all day and the secret board of directors dictating the big lines that ends up with stunts like Gaben walking in on the AR team one day and telling them they're all fired, we're all in on VR now. or that time when they were convinced Microsoft was going to destroy PC gaming with the Windows Store and they panicked and the whole company wasted years working on the dead end project that was Steam Machines. once that initiative was buried, it took down Steam Link and the Steam Controller with it.

flat management and stack ranking partially causes those problems and makes them worse, but they're not the sole cause. if Valve let their employees actually pick and choose what they want to work on instead of defaulting to senior employees being the cool kids who decide what's worth spending time on, we'd probably have had far more new games coming from Valve and more interesting experimental products. instead it's a neverending internal struggle of newer, motivated developers trying to get projects like HL3 or L4D3 off the ground, failing because they're essentially sabotaged by the cynical senior employees, some of the herd being culled for failing to ship anything, new people getting hired because they fit Valve's mold and want to make exciting new games, rinse and repeat

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:27 pm

Yeah it's definitely a net of things, though I do think they all feed into each other in a shitty neverending cycle. For example, stack ranking incentivizes awful office politics - And the awful office politics and cliques in turn encourage the folks in charge to keep stack ranking. You are right on the money, though. You'd really have to make big, serious changes to the whole damn company to improve things.

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:31 pm

essentially stack ranking is an attempt at fixing the problem flat management inherently has - if there's no bosses to supervise and evaluate each employee's performance, how does the company know who's a good hire and who's just costing them money? but the way they did it is stupid since it ties too heavily into shipping product and dictates bonuses etc. and they should've figured out a solution that's better than Microsoft's garbage

at this point it's too late to turn the ship around. they've committed to this model of hidden management to the point there's no way for a major cultural shift to happen. which will mean cliques, backstabbing, office politics like being wary of what you say to which person, senior workers becoming the bosses, all of it. it's too ingrained in Valve's culture to just go away even if you force it to

if Valve wants to ship product, however, the answer is simple: have Gabe go "here's what where doing. shut the fuck up, stop behaving like petty high schoolers and finish work on this project and ship or be fired" like he essentially did for Half-Life 2. I have reason to believe this is the approach they took to ship Half-Life: Alyx, too.

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:38 pm

You know, he could just as easily fix it by having the company restructure and say they needed to because of increasing work.
ImageImage Image Image

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:38 pm

But he won't, because Gabe and Valve.
ImageImage Image Image

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:17 pm

I mean Alyx has to be like pushing sixty at this point

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:56 pm

Mechanical Ape wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:17 pm
I mean Alyx has to be like pushing sixty at this point
you just made me realize Alyx was my age in Half-Life 2

fucked up

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:34 pm

Time for a gritty prequel soft reboot!

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:31 pm

Wtf did they do to my gritty, detailed Half-Life 2 art style

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:32 pm

Everybody looks like cartoon people now it's like they remade City 17 but using Portal 2's art style

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:50 pm

Time for that guy to make a photorealism mod or whatever for the new half-life. He'll show us all, he'll put so many cranes.
ImageImage Image Image

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:10 pm

oh yeah I should probably link the trailer too

I mean, it looks cool but I still think the characters look like clay people. HL2's version of G-Man, low res textures and all, actually looked better thanks to Source's shaders. it's a weird case of better technology not looking massively better. also the lighting is flat and missing ambient occlusion entirely

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:46 pm

DaikatunaRevengeance wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:50 pm
Time for that guy to make a photorealism mod or whatever for the new half-life. He'll show us all, he'll put so many cranes.
a lot of the textures in that mod were upscaled, had a sharpen filter applied plus a detail decal that made them gritty and noisy-looking

I leave this thought to you, dear reader, to do with as you please