My Little Pony: A New Generation

Episode, movie, and comic book discussion threads are kept here once they have been released.

Moderators: Wayoshi, Venusy

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

My Little Pony: A New Generation

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:49 pm

Release day edit:
:sweetielarm: Click here to jump ahead to discussion of the movie! :sweetielarm:

Original post follows:

It's coming, y'all. Whether it'll be the final end of G4 or the beginning of G5 remains to be seen, but it's coming. As before, this thread will serve as a roundup of rumors and news tidbits and such.

SigmasonicX

Re: Untitled My Little Pony Movie (September 2021)

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:34 pm

They aren't going to make a G4 movie 2 years after the ending instead of a G5 movie.
Anyway, nice to see a date. Let's hope there isn't, like, Frozen 3 around that day.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:03 am

The looooooooooooooong ponyless winter :cry:

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:26 am

Untitled MLP Movie? HONK!
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Durandal
Faithful Students

Post by Durandal (?) » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:10 am

My thoughts exactly.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:13 pm

A movie would probably be a great way to kick off G5.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Soft Snow

Post by Soft Snow (?) » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:49 pm

I wonder if this is going to replace the normal 2 part episode to introduce the new generation.
If I had a bit for every time you made me feel worthless I'd be worth something by now.

Dong Strongly
What I am now
Patreon supporter

Post by Dong Strongly (?) » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:06 am

2 hours of pony life in 3d
Thicc like molasses thx 4 askin
:sweetielarm: Image :sweetielarm:

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:46 am

Dong Strongly wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:06 am
2 hours of pony life in 3d
finally
ImageImage Image Image

;) ❤️ :twasnothin: ❤️ :fancyhat:

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:40 pm

Despite everything, the movie still seems to be on for release in September next year. A trade show press release from yesterday included a blurb about the movie.
Next up, the world of Equestria is expanding to introduce a new generation of ponies to a new generation of fans. With more humor, heart, and music than ever before, Hasbro hopes that audiences will be swept away by the new cast of ponies and the incredible adventure that awaits them. Fall in love with My Little Pony all over again when the all-new, computer-animated theatrical feature hits theaters everywhere in September 2021.
We might possibly see some more news from this as well, like how we first learned of Twilight Sparkle growing wings thanks to a photo of a banner at a trade show in late 2012.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:25 pm

"Hasbro joins Festival of Licensing with new Peppa Pig content, PJ Masks toy plans and more"

How the mighty have fallen

AmericanErrorist

Post by AmericanErrorist (?) » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:14 am

SlateSlabrock wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:25 pm
"Hasbro joins Festival of Licensing with new Peppa Pig content, PJ Masks toy plans and more"

How the mighty have fallen
Hasbro gained the rights to Peppa and PJ when they purchased Entertainment One.

Soft Snow

Post by Soft Snow (?) » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:31 pm

It is almost the 24th, any word on the new movie release yet?
If I had a bit for every time you made me feel worthless I'd be worth something by now.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:00 am

The date is next year. Pleeeeeenty of time.
Probably it will be delayed a bit because of the hellscape happenig everywhere.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:32 am

The Festival of Licensing event mentioned above is in October, so I imagine we'll learn more about it then.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:40 pm

An article about upcoming MLP merchandising also included some info about the movie.
The upcoming CG-animated movie, meanwhile, is slated for a September 2021 release and will mark the start of the brand’s transformation—now under the purview of eOne. Not only will new pony characters be featured in the film, they will also boast a new CG look. The introduction of new characters and a departure from designs featured in Friendship is Magic and Pony Life is intended to shift the brand’s focus to more modern themes like diversity and inclusion.

“The final season [of Friendship is Magic] brought that storytelling to a satisfying conclusion, and it felt like the right time to close that chapter of Pony history,” says Emily Thompson, VP of global brand management for eOne (previously VP of entertainment production and development for Hasbro). “Generation Alpha has a higher emotional intelligence, and they expect a lot more from their entertainment. We know it’s important to Gen Alpha that they see their peer groups represented in their entertainment, and that shaped how we built our core cast.”

The movie’s main character, for example, is an activist working to make the pony world a better place. My Little Pony will be one of Hasbro’s biggest initiatives in 2021, says Casey Collins, SVP and GM of global consumer products.

[...]

Instead of abandoning the franchise’s characters and stories, the movie will take place in the same world featured in Friendship is Magic and Pony Life, but jump ahead in time to focus on a new generation of ponies and unexplored corners of Equestria. This creates opportunities to include nods to the property’s previous iterations, both in upcoming content and consumer products offerings.

“If you’re brand-new to the franchise, I think it will grab you and pull you in,” says Thompson. “And existing fans are going to be picking out Easter Eggs for months and years to come.”
Mentioning FiM's and Pony Life's Equestria in the same breath seems like either the writer (or whoever at Hasbro supplied that info) glossed over both series, or Pony Life's second season is going to do some serious shit to link itself back into FiM.

PonyHag714
Here comes the helmet!

Post by PonyHag714 (?) » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:49 pm

It will be interesting if they do that with Pony Life.
Image ("Don't try to reform me, Hag, because I'm made of cold stone.")

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:50 pm

"The movie’s main character, for example, is an activist working to make the pony world a better place."

:gotcha: Twilight dun screwed things up.

LingEarth

Post by LingEarth (?) » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:39 am

It sounds like it could be interesting, but what I most got out of that is that there's now a name for the generation after Gen Z.

(Apparently the name was coined over ten years ago, but you don't hear much about them yet for obvious reasons.)

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:38 pm

I'm nervous about them putting Pony Life ahead of FiM in their list of influences, but it seems we can't be clear about anything except that they've ditched the plans they had in the e-mail leaks back in 2017. Guess we'll find out soon! :pinkieshrug:

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Re: Untitled My Little Pony Movie (??? 2021)

Post by Adiwan (?) » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:32 pm

Honestly, it's better in general. There is a hope I can watch it on release day without waiting for alternative sources.

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:59 am

Almost definitely because Covid isn't going away anytime soon. I suspect this also indicates that the G5 series is likely a Netflix show too.

We also have info about the directors and producers:
Robb Cullen and Jose Ucha directed the upcoming installment with Mark Fattibene. Cecil Kramer and Peter Lewis served as producers.

These credits are odd, and the directors aren't particularly encouraging. The 2017 leaks said they were seeking Rob Renzetti, IIRC, but that fell through, clearly.

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:38 pm

Variety article made a mistake. The actual director of the upcoming movie is Robert Cullen. Worked on Pony Life and Rainbow Roadtrip, plus the recent Transformers series. That makes a lot more sense.

ixnay
The Great and Powerful Trixsters

Re: G5 My Little Pony Movie (Fall 2021)

Post by ixnay (?) » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:16 am

First details and screenshot are here:

https://www.etonline.com/my-little-pony ... ive-161157

In the new movie, the pony world of Equestria has lost its magic. Friendship and Harmony have been replaced by paranoia and mistrust, and Ponies now live separated by species. Sunny -- a feisty and idealistic young Earth Pony -- is convinced there’s still hope for this divided world, but her slightly misguided and often hilarious efforts to change hearts and minds have led to her being branded a misfit. When Sunny befriends a lost Unicorn named Izzy, who wanders innocently into the Earth Pony town of Maretime Bay, the town has had enough. Izzy and Sunny must embark on an epic adventure that will include a daring jewel heist, outrageous conspiracy theories, elaborate musical numbers, and the world’s cutest flying Pomeranian. Their adventures will take them to faraway lands and force them to challenge the status quo by facing their fears and making new friends out of old enemies. The world Sunny has dreamed of her entire life could finally become a reality as Sunny and her newfound friends fight to prove that even little ponies can make a big difference.

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:01 am

Cute design.

Also...

:lol: Twlight fucked it all up.

Durandal
Faithful Students

Post by Durandal (?) » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:39 am

In the new movie, the pony world of Equestria has lost its magic. Friendship and Harmony have been replaced by paranoia and mistrust, and Ponies now live separated by species
SPIKE'S DAY OFF.TXT wrote:Suddenly the world turned brown and green and other shades of brown, signifying the work going guimdark. Steam began to rise from manholes that were previously unseen, giving Ponyville a very dark and mature atmosphere and making this movie something you wouldnt be embarrassed to admit liking, unlike that lame pony show. Its dark, man. Guimdark.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar (?) » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:04 pm

Oh. CGI. Fine. Sort of looks like Trolls to me at this point, which isn't a bad thing.

The tone of the movie ("feisty activist") sounds like it's taking Disney's approach in commodifying social progressivism, which also isn't a bad way to keep the nazis out.
Gloriosa Did Nothing Wrong

Ransom

Post by Ransom (?) » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:36 am

ixnay wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:16 am
First details and screenshot are here:

https://www.etonline.com/my-little-pony ... ive-161157

One thing people have noted is there is a lot of G4 references in that photo. She seems to have buttons with Mane 6 cutie marks, a Rainbow Dash poster, Celestia banner and even a Mane 6 figurine collection in the background. Is this pony a fangirl? Or are the buttons “merit badge” type awards for demonstrating kindness, laughter, etc?

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:49 am

I'm leaning heavily out of the window but I think that she will be a Mane 6 super fan and function as the brony insert character.
I mean that Hasbro tries with this approach to get the fanbase over to this series and maybe creating enough of a buzz and positive reviews to make it successful and thus sell merch.

This pony has merch. Do you have merch? BUY MERCH! CONSUME MERCH! (this got cynical very fast)

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:30 am

Video with short animations of the characters
Twitter mirror

We have some more animation for Sunny, and full names for the characters: Sunny Starscout, Izzy Moonbow, and Hitch Trailblazer. Yes, people are making car jokes about him.

I like Sunny's animation, but I can sense a palpable disinterest in Hitch among the fandom, lol. Everyone's just asking about the pegasus.

Interesting that Sunny and Izzy have sun and moon themed names; given this intends to tie into G4, there could be a lot of significance there.

Also, they seem to have fully shifted to a "simple first name, complex last name" structure for the ponies. I distinctly remember an interview with the Japanese dub cast for FiM where the interviewer commented on how complicated the names are (Twilight Sparkle has at least 8 syllables in Japanese), so this is clearly to prevent that problem, among other name memorability issues. Plus, there were weird things before like all the Pies and Cakes having the same last name, but Twilight Sparkle's mother being named Twilight Velvet.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:49 am

Pony names are weird in general. The names are often related to the cutie marks but they have the name *before* they earn their cutie marks. The names must be some sort of self-fulfilling prophecies, or there is some kind of future vision, or they are some very lucky instances, or ponies change their names to reflect their acquired cutie mark.

Family names are the least strange in this instance. I guess it's more tradition in some families than anything else.

In real life surnames often formed out of necessity one way or another. A tax collector had to know if he collected from "John the Miller" or from "John the Farmer". Other forms of surnames are equally formed out of a need to know who you're talking about like the Nordic "-son" and -"dotter" endings. Place names (often villages) are also very popular.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:51 am

Ransom wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:36 am
One thing people have noted is there is a lot of G4 references in that photo. She seems to have buttons with Mane 6 cutie marks, a Rainbow Dash poster, Celestia banner and even a Mane 6 figurine collection in the background. Is this pony a fangirl? Or are the buttons “merit badge” type awards for demonstrating kindness, laughter, etc?
There was a leaked animatic, presumably from this movie, that seems to clear these questions up, but this isn't the spoilers forum. :liarjack:

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:20 am

Ransom wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:36 am
I think the implication here is that it's the future and that she's a strong believer in Equestria's past heroes, from back in the age of magic, a time most other ponies presumably forgot.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:19 pm

Those are some cute pones :3:
ImageImageImageImageImage

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:45 pm

Fizzbuzz wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:20 am
I think the implication here is that it's the future and that she's a strong believer in Equestria's past heroes, from back in the age of magic, a time most other ponies presumably forgot.
Yeah, the story outline has me thinking this is going to be set up like the world of Onward, but with racism.

Bremen

Post by Bremen (?) » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:20 pm

Adiwan wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:49 am
Pony names are weird in general. The names are often related to the cutie marks but they have the name *before* they earn their cutie marks. The names must be some sort of self-fulfilling prophecies, or there is some kind of future vision, or they are some very lucky instances, or ponies change their names to reflect their acquired cutie mark.
In the episode with Applejack's parents, Mrs. Cup Cake mentions she used to be called Chiffon Swirl, so I always figured it was the last one.

Ransom

Post by Ransom (?) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:03 am

I confess, it’s a little amusing seeing the fandom wrangle with the Gen 5 setting being less than perfect after a decade of watching the fandom often interpret the rather idealized Equestria through the darkest lens possible.

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:03 pm

The slow drip of news continues

Facebook original

Really not feeling Zipp's design. The colors are weird, especially with her hair not matching her wing colors. Personality-wise, seems like she'll be more serious than Rainbow Dash.

Also, we see Pipp using a tablet phone. It really is the future!

Durandal
Faithful Students

Post by Durandal (?) » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:39 pm

is this going to start the whole "how to hooves work with touchscreens" discussion again? I feel like we've had that once before around here