Hearthstone Thread: How Long Can This Go On?

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Re: Hearthstone Thread: How Long Can This Go On?

Post by Octavia (?) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:50 am

I got so sick of playing against nothing but Spell Hunters (seriously they're like 70% of the matchups in ranked) that I decided to look up which decks are the most successful against them, and Mechathun Druid is up there. Dog has a very unconventional Mechathun Druid deck that relies more on insane card draw than armoring up and outlasting your opponent. It's SO MUCH FUN to play. Wild Pyromancer + Barkskin + Gloop means practically unlimited draw and board clear if you have acolytes or auctioneers out.

Here is Dog's list, with one tiny modification: I found that Pounce was way more useful than Moonfire, so I swapped one for the other.

### Dog Mechathun Druid
# Class: Druid
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Raven
#
# 2x (0) Innervate
# 1x (0) Moonfire
# 2x (0) Pounce
# 2x (1) Barkskin
# 2x (1) Biology Project
# 1x (1) Floop's Glorious Gloop
# 2x (1) Lesser Jasper Spellstone
# 2x (1) Naturalize
# 2x (2) Wild Pyromancer
# 2x (2) Wrath
# 2x (3) Acolyte of Pain
# 2x (3) Ferocious Howl
# 2x (3) Wild Growth
# 2x (4) Branching Paths
# 1x (4) Flobbidinous Floop
# 2x (6) Gadgetzan Auctioneer
# 1x (10) Mecha'thun
#
AAECAZICBNMD8fsC9fwCxf0CDekB/gHEBqQH9gfkCPsMktICmNICntICv/ICj/YCxoYDAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

The draw engine is insane, to where I've won some games while my opponent still has 20 cards left in their deck.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:33 pm

Nerf time again! :twonk:

Cold Blood goes from 1 to 2 cost
Hunter's Mark goes from 1 to 2 cost
Flametongue Totem goes from 2 to 3 cost
Equality goes from 2 to 4 cost
Hunter's Spellstone goes from 5 to 6 cost

I really like how often they've been making balance changes since Brode left. It prevents the meta from getting super stale.

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:16 pm

The Year of the Raven is coming to a close, and the Year of the Dragon is soon to be upon us, meaning that it's time for certain cards to be dragged out behind the toolshed and shot inducted into the Hall of Fame because nobody likes playing against them to give the various classes' strengths and weaknesses a chance to shine!

Nine cards are being inducted into the Hall of Fame this year. Press F to pay respects.

Druid - Naturalize
Warlock - Doomguard
Paladin - Divine Favor
Neutral - Baku the Mooneater
Neutral - Genn Greymane
Druid - Gloom Stag
Mage - Black Cat
Priest - Glitter Moth
Shaman - Murkspark Eel

TL;DR reasoning for these choices - Naturalize is too good at killing creatures in situations where the card advantage doesn't matter. Doomguard has Charge gives Warlocks who are losing board control too much of an easy out. Divine Fervor is way too efficient at drawing cards, and Paladins don't need that to be one of the things the class is good at. The Even/Odd mechanics of Baku and Genn were way more prevalent in Standard than the Hearthstone team wanted, so they and their support cards are being rotated out a year early so that they don't overshadow the new stuff coming out in the coming year.

Discord

Post by Discord (?) » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:53 pm

I appreciate that the HS team has been more willing to make big changes rapidly and I think these are good.

I'm skeptical about the solo adventure stuff. I like the idea of offering more rewards for it (which has been the biggest problem with solo content - no sense of reward/progression for playing) but paying for it again reads as money-grabby. We'll see what the value is like.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:14 am

Discord wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:53 pm
I appreciate that the HS team has been more willing to make big changes rapidly and I think these are good.
Me too. They've finally realized how problematic a lot of the cards in Classic are, and rather than just create new expansions with power creep, they've done a good job of nerfing or removing the problems from standard. That said, Druid needs to get some good cards this next expansion or they're gonna be in the basement for a while.
Discord wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:53 pm
I'm skeptical about the solo adventure stuff. I like the idea of offering more rewards for it (which has been the biggest problem with solo content - no sense of reward/progression for playing) but paying for it again reads as money-grabby. We'll see what the value is like.
If they offer a pre-release bundle that includes the solo adventure and some packs for a discount, then I don't mind paying for it.

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:48 pm

The only thing about losing Naturalize is that now there's just my super-janky warlock deck that uses that vampire gnome when it comes to mill decks. I've always been a white/blue player in magic but the only thing in that toolset I have in hearthstone is the large walls. (Though there's no actual wall equivalent, which is too bad because I would definitely be fine with a creature with taunt that couldn't attack in exchange for a stronger stat line) There's no equivalent deck denial, reshuffling for longer games, or counterspell plays in hearthstone, other than the ONE mage secret.

And what I miss most of all are those cards that punish the opponent for attacking. Gimme something that isn't as 'aggro' as explosive trap or the other hunter one. More damage in exchange for not damaging the enemy player would be great
ImageImageImageImage

Vivianinatoga
Semper Pie

Post by Vivianinatoga (?) » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:24 pm

Octavia wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:14 am
That said, Druid needs to get some good cards this next expansion or they're gonna be in the basement for a while.
Everybody gets a turn.
ImageImageImage

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:25 am

Gloomy Rube wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:48 pm
The only thing about losing Naturalize is that now there's just my super-janky warlock deck that uses that vampire gnome when it comes to mill decks. I've always been a white/blue player in magic but the only thing in that toolset I have in hearthstone is the large walls. (Though there's no actual wall equivalent, which is too bad because I would definitely be fine with a creature with taunt that couldn't attack in exchange for a stronger stat line) There's no equivalent deck denial, reshuffling for longer games, or counterspell plays in hearthstone, other than the ONE mage secret.

And what I miss most of all are those cards that punish the opponent for attacking. Gimme something that isn't as 'aggro' as explosive trap or the other hunter one. More damage in exchange for not damaging the enemy player would be great
Mill Rogue was probably my favorite pre-Standard/Wild deck and it's sad to see those types of decks go away, but the developers have said they're going to release more cards like Dirty Rat that will act as another way to interfere with all the combo decks that have been popping up.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:19 am

this'll be good this'll be good this'll be good this'll be good this'll be good this'll be good this'll be good this'll be good this'll be good this'll be good this'll be good this'll be good this'll be good this'll be good this'll be good this'll be good this'll be good this'll be good this'll be good this'll be good this'll be good

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Thu May 02, 2019 1:43 pm

Got my final legendary card in the classic set today. I somehow managed to go this long without getting Black Knight. I was expecting to get my 100g reward for having 1 of every card in the classic set, but it turns out I don't have Icicle, one of the new cards they added to replace the HoF cards rotating out. I'm NOT gonna spend 400 dust on that terrible epic card just to get 100g. :grumpydash:

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Sat May 18, 2019 5:19 pm

Playing the new Hearthstone adventure, and decided to give the Hunter a go for my first attempt at the Bank of Dalaran.

... I actually managed to beat the run. All eight bosses taken out.

... how the hell did that happen. :starity: