it's a whole new forums we live in, it's a whole new forums to see, but you still gotta catch em all

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

it's a whole new forums we live in, it's a whole new forums to see, but you still gotta catch em all

Post by Venusy (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:26 pm

and be the best that you can be

post about pokemon here

tell us if your opinion has changed about ultra sun and ultra moon after what were probably the most disappointing initial reveals of a new mainline pokemon game

sharkmafia

Re: it's a whole new forums we live in, it's a whole new forums to see, but you still gotta catch em all

Post by sharkmafia (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:30 pm

what are your favorite pokemon here are mine

1. GARCHOMP
2. ROSERADE
3. WEAVILE
4. FLYGON
5. MEGA AMPHAROS

Jill
it's the super maria sisters super show!!!
Special Flowers

Re: it's a whole new forums we live in, it's a whole new forums to see, but you still gotta catch em all

Post by Jill (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:34 pm

my father and i are getting US and UM respectively but i haven't actually bothered to watch any trailers or anything, so all i really know is that team rocket is now gay
sharkmafia wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:30 pm
what are your favorite pokemon
  1. audino
  2. whimsicott
  3. magearna
  4. sylveon
  5. mew
around that point the list begins to blur between a bunch of cuties: goodra, kirlia, jirachi, lilligant, cinccino, celebi, lopunny, meloetta, jigglypuff, pikachu/raichu, god there are so many

sharkmafia

Post by sharkmafia (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:43 pm

that list is interesting because its 100% different than mine, if i had to add more in no particular order it would go like aggron, pangoro, litwick, honchkrow, metagross, gengar, tyranitar, cofagrigus, stoutland, volcarona

best 'cute' designs are cinccino, shaymin, ribombee and actually shaymin should probably be in my top five. REGULAR shaymin, not sky form

sharkmafia

Post by sharkmafia (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:45 pm

just as long as we can agree that garchomp is the coolest dragon though

Juju&Lulu

Post by Juju&Lulu (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:04 pm

If we're doing favorite Pokemon mine are

1. Mimikyu
2. Sylveon
3. Gengar
4. Greninja
5. Empoleon

Basically if you're a Fairy, Ghost, or non-fish Water type I like you probably
Last edited by Juju&Lulu on Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:06 pm

Venusy wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:26 pm
tell us if your opinion has changed about ultra sun and ultra moon after what were probably the most disappointing initial reveals of a new mainline pokemon game
Which would you call disappointing? I legit don't know
Image /// Image /// Image

Juju&Lulu

Post by Juju&Lulu (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:10 pm

Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon honestly look really hype.

Move tutors are back, which was one of the two things I wanted. Now I'm just holding out hope for a National Dex in-game.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:10 pm

I'm still waiting for the main series to make the move to the Switch. :pinkieshrug:

Juju&Lulu

Post by Juju&Lulu (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:11 pm

Fizzbuzz wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:10 pm
I'm still waiting for the main series to make the move to the Switch. :pinkieshrug:
See you in like 2 years at the earliest then

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:22 pm

Perrydotto wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:06 pm
Which would you call disappointing? I legit don't know
During the initial reveal, they looked like incredibly minor updates. Even as "third versions" go, there was nothing at the start explaining what they are and what makes them different from the base game - and combined with the platform choice and the Pokémon Direct seemingly not even wanting to feature them, they were hugely disappointing.

Now, for me at least, they've turned that around with subsequent updates. Even just one of the major things they've revealed within the past month could have helped them make a much stronger first impression - I can understand wanting to save things like Team Rainbow Rocket for near launch, but as it is, I could see the third version dropoff being a lot larger this time.

Diamondheart

Post by Diamondheart (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:29 pm

Favorite Pokemon? Besides Noibat being my top, in no particular order:

Noibat/Noivern, Snivy's line, Crobat, Glaceon, Keldeo, Roserade, Celebi, Lanturn, Emolga, Surskit, Vivillon.

My ongoing playthrough of Sun makes me want to add the Popplio line and Salandit/Salazzle to that as well.

Now I realize a good amount of those aren't very good, but I like them a lot.

sharkmafia

Post by sharkmafia (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:41 pm

It's fine if your fave pokemon aren't good tbh, the fact that most of mine are is mainly coincidence

I just like cool mons and garchomp is the coolest. It just happens to be one of the strongest dragons as well because of its insanely optimized stat spread. But the more important thing is that it's a SHARK JETPLANE DRAGON HECK YEAH

Jill
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:43 pm

my faves list is synonymous with "best ways to throw a competitive battle" tbh

sharkmafia

Post by sharkmafia (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:48 pm

well, mew/celebi/jirachi are all pretty good at least

also: gible. I like garchomp more but its first evo is still one of the cutest pokemon. look at this bitey little guy

Jill
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:49 pm

of the pokemon i've used, those that felt capable of really pulling any weight were at best ones i just "sorta" like: mawile, breloom, cloyster, ribombee, ...

and now mega gardevoir is kinda obsoleted by tapu lele, but i actually just remembered that tapu lele is hella cute too

Wayoshi
Paper Fluts
Stare Masters

Post by Wayoshi (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:41 pm

So are they really going to rush Pokemon Switch and have Gen 7 be only two years? Maybe they'll slow down and Gen 4 remakes will be next November.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:43 pm

Chatot is the best Pokemon of every year, all years.
Image /// Image /// Image

Diamondheart

Post by Diamondheart (?) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:00 pm

I have to say, for a Gen where I didn't much care for the game, Gen 6 added a whole lot of really cool pokemon and concepts. And even X/Y had its good parts, like pokemon variety, the redesign of the EXP Share (controversial opinion), the concept of mega evolution, Pokemon Amie, changing your trainer's clothes

It was just a bucket of good features, but in return the game was sorta meh.

Juju&Lulu

Post by Juju&Lulu (?) » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:45 am

Mimikyu continues to be the best

Diamondheart

Post by Diamondheart (?) » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:40 am

So my team in Sun is Noibat, Butterfree, Magneton, Mudsdale, Salazzle, Primarina. I'm probably going to replace Butterfree, who while good is slightly redundant and Salazzle, who isn't pulling their weight, and it's hard for it to set up with Nasty Plot or Toxic when it can't even take a neutral hit, and the 4x weakness to ground is worrying.

I just haven't decided what I want to replace them with.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:33 pm

USUM reviews are going up (though new footage is still embargoed).

Some remixed content makes sense while other bits don't, though the new story stuff that doesn't involve Necrozma seems good; wild Pokémon can now only call for help once unless an Adrenaline Orb is used ( :sweetielarm: ); travelling through Ultra Space to catch legendaries is dependent on tilt controls; Roto Lotto takes way too long for what you get.

----

Don't know who I want to use as a "starter" in Ultra Sun - planning on picking Rowlett as the real one, but don't know what I'm going to trade over as an egg.

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:27 pm

i got ultra moon and it's now time for me to go running around beating up everyone with my beautiful clown child

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Dropping tears does not always mean the sadness.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:10 pm

Lord help me I'm contemplating the Stomping Tantrum tutor.

After finding Entei got a decent ground move I'm obsessing over this for some dumb reason.

Lunatone gets it, despite having ostensibly no parts with which to stomp.
:snoop: Image :snoop:

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:38 am

If you want a quick laugh, Battle Video HAKG-WWWW-WWWA-QD2H

A random trainer challenged me with a team of likely hacked legendaries, including Ultra Necrozma, Shiny Primal Groudon, and Mega Rayquaza. I just had my in-game team, most of which don't have battle useful items. I still win, partially due to some very good luck against Dark Void at the beginning, and partially because he forgot to use a priority move when he sends out his "FEAR" Aron at the end.

Caldwin

Post by Caldwin (?) » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:35 pm

At first I wasn't interested at all. I have both Sun and Moon. So I really didn't fancy shelling out for yet another one.

But...well...a little backstory here. One of the things I absolutely loved about Alpha Sapphire were the hidden Blissey bases. I could get any Pokemon from level 1 to level 100 in just a couple days. Meanwhile Sun and Moon have been a grinding nightmare of boredom.

But I just recently heard about a spot in Ultra Sun/Moon that have a comparable place where you can do some Blissey/Chansey SOS battles.

So that alone is kinda making me lean towards dishing out for Ultra Moon.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:23 am

Yeah, some of the shaking trees in Poni Plains have a 20% chance of having a Chansey encounter.

The Battle Agency also makes it really easy to grind Festival Coins if you want to get things from Festival Plaza (protip: where possible, be connected to the Internet while starting a Battle Agency challenge. If you see anyone with a Battle Agency grade higher than 0, back out of the BA menu, page them using the receptionist in the top left, and add them to your VIPs list - their grade determines what level of Pokémon they will use. Adding them as a VIP means that you'll be able to use their rented Pokémon while they're offline, and also means that if they get a new grade, your game will be updated with it).

And Mantine Surfing is a different way to grind BP at the start, if there's just one item/move you need before heading to the Battle Royale/Tree.

Caldwin

Post by Caldwin (?) » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:11 pm

Well, I just got Ultra Moon. Feel kinda foolish since I already have Sun and Moon. But so far it looks just different enough to be interesting. The Rotodex is a bit chattier than in the other games. That could get annoying. But so far it's been pretty good. I can't wait until I have enough badges to bring over my high level mon from the other games.