S09E26: The Last Problem

Episode, movie, and comic book discussion threads are kept here once they have been released.

Moderators: Wayoshi, Venusy

Wayoshi
Paper Fluts
Stare Masters

S09E26: The Last Problem

Post by Wayoshi (?) » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:12 pm

This thread is for discussion of this episode. The SERIES FINALE OF GENERATION 4 OF MY LITTLE PONY airs at 9:00pm Eastern / 6:00pm Pacific on Saturday, October 12!

Official preview clips and images are okay to post, as is speculation about the episode. Spoilers from illegal leaks are NOT OK to post. I am choosing to exclude the synopsis from this thread to avoid spoilers.

Early spoiler thread: http://roundstable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2046

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Re: S09E26: The Last Problem

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:16 pm

This is it, after 9 years the show is going to end. What a journey it's been.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:28 pm

With this being the end, the title reminds me a bit of "The Last Question," Asimov's short story on the final fate of the universe. I wonder if this episode's title is supposed to evoke that or if it's merely a coincidence.

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:49 pm

The synopsis has me thinking this is basically the Harry Potter epilogue in episode form.
Fizzbuzz wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:28 pm
With this being the end, the title reminds me a bit of "The Last Question," Asimov's short story on the final fate of the universe. I wonder if this episode's title is supposed to evoke that or if it's merely a coincidence.
My first thought went to Sherlock Holmes' "The Final Problem". The "final" Holmes story, which featured his supposed death. He would later be revealed not to have died a decade later when Doyle needed money.

Maybe the title is a reference to an ending that isn't an ending.

PonyHag714
Here comes the helmet!

Post by PonyHag714 (?) » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:50 pm

And indeed it isn't...we know the comics are going to have a "season 10", and then G5. Image
Image ("Don't try to reform me, Hag, because I'm made of cold stone.")

Dal
Praise the Sun
Celestia's Champions

Post by Dal (?) » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:57 am

Goodbye FiM. You were one of the few bright spots in my otherwise dark and depressing life.

I don’t know if I can ever watch this episode, as the hurt and longing of what it portends will stay with me for the rest of my days.
Undecided wrote:Every time you write a story I cant help but sigh, because I know Im gong to lose another man card.

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:33 am

I am so behind on S9 that even if I started marathoning right now I wouldn’t catch up to the finale by air time.

So I won’t knock myself out trying! Enjoy, everyone, and I’ll see you in a week or two with my thoughts.

:ponydrugs: 4eva

Wayoshi
Paper Fluts
Stare Masters

Post by Wayoshi (?) » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:26 pm

-this episode is structured intentionally to parallel the first episode. Another socially awkward student of magic [friendship] with an appropriate name, Luster Dawn, needs a nudge from the current Princess of Equestria.
-Twilight becomes a full-fledged alicorn in a timeskip.
-full generation later, CMC & class all grown up
-mane 6 have noticeable wrinkles - it seems the can of worms of Twilight outliving all her friends by a lot was in fact opened. :|
-Lyra & Bon Bon are married
-Pinkie & Cheese Sandwich are married and have a filly
-Discord & Fluttershy are minimum together, based on the teaser from the Angel episode earlier this season, probably implied
-Applejack & Rainbow Dash are implied to be together
-Applejack is wearing Granny's scarf, so Granny has passed
-the Cake kids were barely focused on in later seasons but it's cool to see them grown up even for a moment
-episode ends with closing of book as long speculated

==================================

Despite an uneven back half of episodes in the 222(!) episode run, this show is still a hallmark of 2010s culture. The epic highs of the first two seasons are also long ago now, but will always be fondly remembered. The last 3 seasons especially are where I lost interest, but it is sad to see FiM conclude (as much as it needed to) and we'll see what Hasbro does with the revived property in the 2020s. So long for now! ...

Let the magic of friendship grow...

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:36 pm

I'm just going to say it.

Twilight does not make for a very pretty giant horse.

That aside, that was a very sweet epilogue episode. I enjoyed it a lot.

RudeCyrus
nightmare eyes
Rainbow Racers
Patreon supporter

Post by RudeCyrus (?) » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:40 pm

Well, whatever happens, it's been a trip. Looking back on it now, it seems silly I was so excited over cartoon horses, but it led me to this board and all the wonderful people on it. Ultimately, the show helped me in a lot of ways. A big thank you to everyone.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:43 pm

Heavily implied Appledash Image

It was a very nice way to wrap up the show. I especially liked fitting the MLP theme into the final song. I'm looking forward to being disappointed by G5 with all of you!
ImageImageImageImageImage

Headless Horse

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:44 pm

The little "my little pony" musical sting at the end, and the book closing — yeah okay, there are tears.

It has been a privilege, my friends

Frith
Princesses of Soul

Post by Frith (?) » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:52 pm

Lovely ending to the lovely show :flutterunsmith:

@Zebra_ebooks
The Great and Powerful Trixsters

Post by @Zebra_ebooks (?) » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:53 pm

It's actually over. That epilogue was pretty good. And yeah, you couldn't keep that a secret forever, AJ/RD.

PonyHag714
Here comes the helmet!

Post by PonyHag714 (?) » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:54 pm

As compared to the finale, I had no issues with the epilogue episode. It was interesting to see Twilight as a full fledged alicorn, Spike grown up and also to see what the Mane 6, the students and others were up to. I liked seeing a Kirin student at the school. And of course, the book closing to end it was entirely appropriate.

Thank you for everything, MLP:FIM. I've never seen a show inspire so much imagination and creativity, and I have no doubt it will continue. It's been a great 9 seasons, and there's yet more to come in the comics and G5. Thanks for letting us visit the magical land of Equestria and escape the troubles of the real world. It's been a privilege to have been along for the ride. Well played, Pony...well played. Image
Last edited by PonyHag714 on Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image ("Don't try to reform me, Hag, because I'm made of cold stone.")

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:02 pm

Best ship confirmed. :-D

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:08 pm

Didn't watch it. Just wanna say adios show.
ImageImage Image Image

;) ❤️ :twasnothin: ❤️ :fancyhat:

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:10 pm

Goodbye, ponies. It’s been real.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:37 pm

Welp, seems like I was way off in my previous comparison of this to a story about the end of everything. :v: But I think I'm glad for it. As much as I love all the details about the magical land of Equestria, a story set merely a couple decades in the future was a welcome end to what's truly mattered, the Mane Six and everyone they know.

I'll truly miss this show, really. The fact that a 65-episode toy advertisement could turn into 222 episodes and a movie is a testament to how good it was and how much the people working on it cared, and while I'm sad it's over, I appreciate that it ended while it was still good. They say that in showbusiness you always leave the audience wanting more, and I at least am most certainly looking forward to the upcoming movie and whatever G5 may bring.

To everyone who reads this, thank you. It's through initially bonding over a common interest in cartoon horses that I was eventually able to make the first true friends I'd ever had, through the fandom that I could have a role in bringing joy to thousands and thousands of people, that I finally feel just a little bit like I can face whatever life has in store for me. I hope this past decade has touched your heart, too, and I hope we can stay together for the next.
Wayoshi wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:26 pm
-this episode is structured intentionally to parallel the first episode. Another socially awkward student of magic [friendship] with an appropriate name, Luster Dawn, needs a nudge from the current Princess of Equestria.
Whenever Cosmo kicks the booru back into being online, remind me to go look up a certain picture by Geomancing...

Headless Horse

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:28 pm

All in all if I were forced to choose one pony of the mane 6 to get traditionally married, Pinkie getting hitched with Weird Al Yankovic is ... not the worst choice in the world.

King Sombra

Post by King Sombra (?) » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:15 am

Grown ups!

Gummy really grew up!

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:47 am

There's a lot of wild stuff in the background of this episode.

stonecutter

Post by stonecutter (?) » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:52 am

Madeline wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:10 pm
Goodbye, ponies. It’s been real.
So long, and thanks for all the fish! :anticipation:

Captain Rufus
Faithful Students

Post by Captain Rufus (?) » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:36 am

Overall good cept for some of the shipping being the Too Easy yet Too Cowardly hit. And Skip Sparkle and Spike designs suuuuuuuuuuuck.

Dal
Praise the Sun
Celestia's Champions

Post by Dal (?) » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:37 am

They could have at least given Twi her cool Rainbow Power design.
Undecided wrote:Every time you write a story I cant help but sigh, because I know Im gong to lose another man card.

drunkill
me @ ur posting
Patreon supporter

Post by drunkill (?) » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:24 am

I watched the two-parter live and chatted in discord along with it but I had to skip the final episode to go meet a friend who has moved overseas, to catch up while he visits only for a few days.

I introduced that friend to MLP a decade ago and I mentioned it was ending today, he only watched 3 seasons or so but did enjoy the show for what it was.

I just thought that was funny how the dates lined up like this.

I just watched the end now, it was great. I'm going to miss the tiny magical horses.
Headless Horse wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:44 pm
The little "my little pony" musical sting at the end, and the book closing — yeah okay, there are tears.

It has been a privilege, my friends
Yep, it hit home for me.

Niels Olof
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Niels Olof (?) » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:41 am

What is this feeling? Ah. It is the bitter-sweet sorrow of a beloved show ending well.
In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libroEverywhere I sought tranquility but found it nowhere save in a corner with a book

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:29 am

Fizzbuzz wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:37 pm
Whenever Cosmo kicks the booru back into being online, remind me to go look up a certain picture by Geomancing...
Here we are.

Now that we're under Twilight's reign, I wonder if parents will name unicorn foals like this even more often. :-I

King Sombra

Post by King Sombra (?) » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:45 am

Dal
Praise the Sun
Celestia's Champions

Post by Dal (?) » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:19 am

I wrote a rant on fimfiction and I figured I would share it here as it hits most of the points I wanted to just vent about in regards to the last two episodes.

To begin with: they dropped the ball so badly that I’ve been legitimately depressed since I found out what happened. I know I sound like, and probably am, an entitled asshole, but I am just so disappointed in how it all ended.

Writing Celestia and Luna out of the show even it was for one episode still makes my blood boil. Not reforming Chrissy or doing anything with her was just a waste. Twilight’s alicorn design is not the greatest and I don’t understand why they didn’t use her rainbow power theme. Speaking of.

Having the rest of Mane Six age validates all those terrible Twilight sad fics which by itself is unforgivable but then they don’t have AJ or Flutters having a family? Seriously? Rarity never found her special somepony? I know there is a implied AppleDash in the finale, and that begs the question why not go full out?

Honestly I expected more for those girls, more out of the writers. Sure there are some good moments and outcomes. Cheese and Pinkie hooking up is fine by me, same with Starlight and Sunburst. Though these pale in comparison to just how out of tune the finale is with rest of the series.

I’m not going to say the series should’ve ended at Magical Mystery Cure, that would be a lie, but at least Larson knew how the show should end if they didn’t get season 4 greenlit.

So I guess that is my biggest gripe: they went with the bittersweet tear jerker ending for a series that has always been about hope and optimism. And now I’m just fucking bitter.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:34 am

King Sombra wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:45 am
Now officially a gayer ending than Korra :dwi:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Dal
Praise the Sun
Celestia's Champions

Post by Dal (?) » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:38 am

Lyra and Bonnie getting hitched is probably what I enjoy most out of all of this.

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:58 am

Perpetual Motion
Enthusiasm makes everything an adventure.

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:24 am

Dal wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:19 am
I wrote a rant on fimfiction and I figured I would share it here as it hits most of the points I wanted to just vent about in regards to the last two episodes.

To begin with: they dropped the ball so badly that I’ve been legitimately depressed since I found out what happened. I know I sound like, and probably am, an entitled asshole, but I am just so disappointed in how it all ended.

Writing Celestia and Luna out of the show even it was for one episode still makes my blood boil. Not reforming Chrissy or doing anything with her was just a waste. Twilight’s alicorn design is not the greatest and I don’t understand why they didn’t use her rainbow power theme. Speaking of.

Having the rest of Mane Six age validates all those terrible Twilight sad fics which by itself is unforgivable but then they don’t have AJ or Flutters having a family? Seriously? Rarity never found her special somepony? I know there is a implied AppleDash in the finale, and that begs the question why not go full out?

Honestly I expected more for those girls, more out of the writers. Sure there are some good moments and outcomes. Cheese and Pinkie hooking up is fine by me, same with Starlight and Sunburst. Though these pale in comparison to just how out of tune the finale is with rest of the series.

I’m not going to say the series should’ve ended at Magical Mystery Cure, that would be a lie, but at least Larson knew how the show should end if they didn’t get season 4 greenlit.

So I guess that is my biggest gripe: they went with the bittersweet tear jerker ending for a series that has always been about hope and optimism. And now I’m just fucking bitter.
I don't really get the anger about the finale being explicit about Twilight and the rest aging the way they do. Just because a bunch of dumb fanworks got made about the concept doesn't make the concept awful or unforgivable. Also, it's kinda the conclusion that makes the most sense? The only other options are: 1) don't address it at all and never do the timeskip, which is kinda a cop-out IMO, and 2) have Twilight age like the rest of them, which would require more exposition than the simple visual inference we got, and kinda go against all the established alicorn lore or cheapen Twilight's status by not making her a "real" one like Celestia/Luna.

As for characters not "having a family" after the timeskip, I think making an issue out of that kinda does a disservice to their character arcs and the found family they have in their friends. This doesn't have to be the Harry Potter epilogue where everyone gets neatly paired up to have 1-2 children with significant/symbolic names. Rarity of all ponies certainly doesn't need to be defined by whether or not she hooks up with someone else.

I don't really see it as bittersweet at all. Over the course of the series the characters have all more or less found themselves and improved the lives of those around them, and the epilogue's point is to show that it was all worth it, no matter how much time passes. That's about as hopeful and optimistic as you can get, IMO.

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:01 pm

Pinkamina Dianne Sandwich... :-I

Headless Horse

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:37 pm

Perpetual Motion wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:24 am
I don't really get the anger about the finale being explicit about Twilight and the rest aging the way they do. Just because a bunch of dumb fanworks got made about the concept doesn't make the concept awful or unforgivable. Also, it's kinda the conclusion that makes the most sense? The only other options are: 1) don't address it at all and never do the timeskip, which is kinda a cop-out IMO, and 2) have Twilight age like the rest of them, which would require more exposition than the simple visual inference we got, and kinda go against all the established alicorn lore or cheapen Twilight's status by not making her a "real" one like Celestia/Luna.

As for characters not "having a family" after the timeskip, I think making an issue out of that kinda does a disservice to their character arcs and the found family they have in their friends. This doesn't have to be the Harry Potter epilogue where everyone gets neatly paired up to have 1-2 children with significant/symbolic names. Rarity of all ponies certainly doesn't need to be defined by whether or not she hooks up with someone else.

I don't really see it as bittersweet at all. Over the course of the series the characters have all more or less found themselves and improved the lives of those around them, and the epilogue's point is to show that it was all worth it, no matter how much time passes. That's about as hopeful and optimistic as you can get, IMO.
Yeah this. The show's already treaded way too much ground on the question of aging and dying to either a) asspull some new justification for the Mane 6 never aging from now on or b) duck the matter altogether by drawing an abrupt curtain over the scene without talking about the future.

I remember someone way back in the first year or two of this forum (God I can't remember names anymore, but it was a real rabble-rouser type of person) half-jokingly predicting that the show would one day address the greatest friendship lesson of all: what happens when friends grow apart. It did not go over well. Yet here we are.

This still leaves open all the sadfic interpretations and yes it does lend them all the more credence by basically saying "Yeah so in 50 more years it'll just be Twilight and Spike left", but well — that's real life as much as it is fantasy immortality horse. I'd rather they made us stare that reality in the face, even if for a second, than they avoided it altogether and left open the possibility that death and aging could be ignored or obviated in this world. By acknowledging it, too, they give those sadfic interpretations a bit of bedrock to stand on and a direction to go. Without it, those fics are just self-indulgent maudlin exercises in edginess. This is a world now where we've seen how realistic that future trajectory is, what kind of attitudes the characters have toward their daily lives, how time has and has not affected them. There's balance to it. There's compromise. And it's manageable. You can't get too crazy with it, like you could before.

Plus you know what, we're all ten years older too, and so are the kids who grew up watching this show. If it didn't touch on the very human question of aging it would be a pretty poor sendoff for all the fans of all age groups for whom the show and its friendship lessons have actually meant something, whether tongue-in-cheek or not.

Bremen

Post by Bremen (?) » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:09 pm

Twilight being immortal doesn't bother me. Statistically, she was always either going to drift away from her friends or have to come to terms with at least some of them passing on before she does; that's part of making friends, and being immortal changes this only in the minor details. She still has the same amount of time to spend with her friends either way, and I think part of the message of the last episode (and that great song at the end!) was that that's what matters.

Yeah, people have written angsty fanfics about it. Immortality is a fairly unusual element in fiction and it can be interesting to explore; I even enjoyed some of them. But I don't feel it poisons the concept or makes it worse for the episode to show it than if those fics never existed.

Dal
Praise the Sun
Celestia's Champions

Post by Dal (?) » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:47 pm

Like I said. I am that entitled asshole. The finale did a lot of things I’ve been dreading or have come to despise over the years and it hurts.

Also no one has brought up that Rarity probably became a crazy cat lady.

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:49 pm

AAAAUUUGHGHGAAAAA
Aramek wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:44 pm
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

:ponydrugs: :ponydrugs: :ponydrugs: :ponydrugs: :ponydrugs: :ponydrugs: :ponydrugs: :ponydrugs:
AAAAAAAAAAAAA :sweetielarm: :sweetielarm: :sweetielarm: :ponydrugs: :ponydrugs:

:twonk:

:saddershy:

:fluttersmith:

:flutterunsmith:
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:50 pm

Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.