how's everyone feel about the new wow expansion

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Bigdog
implied

how's everyone feel about the new wow expansion

Post by Bigdog (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:25 pm

me irl:

note: this meme includes a swear so if you're at work or have a delicate constitution, please don't look at it

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Re: how's everyone feel about the new wow expansion

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:36 pm

Honestly, I'm not particularly enthused.

Hooray, we've beaten the Legion!

Now let's get back to killing each other over stupid bullshit like we've been doing for the past 14 years despite all the world-ending threats that should've destroyed us by now because we can't stop being spoiled, petty children and act like mature adults for five fucking minutes!

Seriously, Blizzard, I'm sick of this stupid forced conflict between the Alliance and the Horde. We can get plenty of "war" out of "warcraft" without it. :fluttersmith:

Lorce
μ
Night Mares

Post by Lorce (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:58 pm

I haven't played the current expansion (and not even sure if i checked out the one before that...), so i'm kinda meh about any new expansions ^^

Although i just watched the trailer for this and ngl i teared up a bit with Sylv's "For the Horde!" :fluttershock:

sharkmafia

Post by sharkmafia (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:09 pm

I'm hopeful! It will be cool to turn my blood elf warrior into a nightborne, and I'll probably race change my priest to troll now that there's a troll option with Actual Posture.

I was hoping for a chillout exploration-style expansion like we had with MOP, and that's not happening. and I agree that the RENEWED FACTION CONFLICT is kind of stupid. But.

Like with MOP, the 'big bad' of this expansion is not immediately obvious. But there is one, there always is one. In this case, the smart money is on n'zoth/queen azshara and the naga. So what we're likely going to get is one patch of 'renewed faction conflict' as we explore kul tiras/zandalar and fight and so on, probably with some unsubtle hints about n'zoth-related old gods corruption, before azshara comes rolling up with her posse. Then khadgar wakes up from his nap, runs outside, and screams 'holy shit you fucking idiots' before becoming our cross-faction quest dad again.

Calling all of that now. This expansion may or may not represent the last one in which 'faction conflict' is the primary plot point, although i'm sure that sort of shit will always be present in subplot form like it was in legion.

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:15 pm

I'm just not gonna play wow again until they let horde and alliance players be in the same party because the faction conflict is garbage and goblins and gnomes should be bffs
ImageImageImageImage

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:15 pm

There's no way they're going to drop the "faction conflict" story beat, even as it becomes more convoluted and dumb. They love that shit.
ImageImage
Image3DS Friend Code: 2852-6885-2752

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:16 pm

Quanta wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:15 pm
There's no way they're going to drop the "faction conflict" story beat, even as it becomes more convoluted and dumb. They love that poo poo.
Blizzard stop being the dumbest
ImageImageImageImage

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:08 pm

This game is still alive, huh

Bigdog
implied

Post by Bigdog (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:43 pm

Quanta wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:15 pm
There's no way they're going to drop the "faction conflict" story beat, even as it becomes more convoluted and dumb. They love that shit.
I think the problem is that "the World of Warcraft will always have faction tensions as a backdrop" doesn't automatically necessitate "players cannot play together if they are from opposing factions and also everything has to be actual war crimes all the time" and it's bogus and contrived to act like it does

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:46 pm

but blizzard is well known for never going back on their decisions ever
ImageImageImageImage

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:17 pm

Gloomy Rube wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:46 pm
but blizzard is well known for never going back on their decisions ever
totally unrelated but I found out recently that Muradin isn't even freaking dead anymore in Warcraft canon, he just woke up in Northrend with amnesia and after seeing him being literally skewered in Warcraft 3 that made me laugh a lot
Image /// Image /// Image

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:19 pm

Perrydotto wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:17 pm
totally unrelated but I found out recently that Muradin isn't even freaking dead anymore in Warcraft canon, he just woke up in Northrend with amnesia and after seeing him being literally skewered in Warcraft 3 that made me laugh a lot
hahahahahaha
ImageImageImageImage

sharkmafia

Post by sharkmafia (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:39 pm

that's correct yes. I dont have much interaction with alliance plot points but yeahhhhh that one is pretty dumb

you are aware of the plot/premise for warlords of draenor, yes? either way, here goes

at the end of mists of pandaria garrosh hellscream (the then-warchief of the horde) is put on trial for, basically, crimes against humanoidity. He earned this charge, believe me. Without getting TOO much into what makes garrosh such an asshole, understand that a renegade bronze dragon (bronze dragons have power over time) broke him out of prison and sent him back to pre-warcraft 1 draenor (the planet the orcs are from) in order to change how that whole business went down. In the NEW timeline, garrosh prevents his dad, grom hellscream (who you may remember as thrall's friend from warcraft 3) from drinking the pit lord Mannoroth's blood and turning all the orcs demon-possessed. Instead, using iron star technology (iron stars = basically the steam engine, except gigantic, spiky, and prone to exploding) grom and garrosh build a mechanized orc empire on draenor called the 'iron horde' that, yep, still invades azeroth. Except, present day azeroth. From the original timeline. Don't ask me how this works.

So your role in warlords of draenor is to invade alternate draenor and stop the iron horde. It... wasn't the best expansion. Oh by the way, eventually alternate gul'dan summons the burning legion to alternate draenor (alt gul'dan is a pretty good villain, actually) but it's the SAME burning legion, not an alternate one. Because the twisting nether is eternal. Except there's an alternate Velen (draenei prophet guy) on alternate draenor, so there's two velens even though velen's former bros, archimonde and kil'jaeden, are the ones running the burning legion, and there's only one of them. This is 'fixed' by having alternate velen sacrifice himself pretty fast ( but it doesnt stop it from being kind of dumb

basically at this point it doesn't pay to think about warcraft lore too hard

sharkmafia

Post by sharkmafia (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:48 pm

also if you dont know what the purple/yellow wind chime thing that velen is redeeming via sacrifice there is, uh, don't worry about it ok

Lorce
μ
Night Mares

Post by Lorce (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Perrydotto wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:17 pm
He probably just got lost on his corpse run :fluttershock:

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:09 pm

sharkmafia wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:48 pm
also if you dont know what the purple/yellow wind chime thing that velen is redeeming via sacrifice there is, uh, don't worry about it ok
they're eldritch deities that make wind chime music

ding ding ia ia chimey fhtagn
ImageImageImageImage

Diamondheart

Post by Diamondheart (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:39 pm

Blizzard is basically Marvel Comics in that it has a problem having characters actually stay dead.

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:54 pm

and they have a problem with goblins being friends with people ~extremely grumpy~
ImageImageImageImage

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:08 am

Horde bad, they should stop being themselves and join the Alliance.
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:29 pm

like, some horde things are good! There's the tauren, they're just friendly cows. And there's the goblins, who should be able to be friends with everyone because they're the best race why do I have to be horde to play as the best race aaaargh.

but on the other hand they have the undead who are just "haha we're literally evil but it's okay because those farmers were rude to us so we can murder them and their entire families and make them forcefully rise from the dead while going 'oh you have free will as an undead' and then hunting down and killing anyone who doesn't get in lockstep behind our fearless leader"
ImageImageImageImage

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:59 pm

All I know about Garrosh is that fans were pretty dang peeved when he was introduced to Heroes of the Storm because apparently nobody likes Garrosh and they would have liked literally any other character.

Dal
Praise the Sun
Celestia's Champions

Post by Dal (?) » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:33 am

putting the war back in warcraft lmao

Seriously though, I doubt they will ever top the feeling Legion gave me when I picked up Ashbringer for the first time, or the resulting campaign of fiery death I wrought upon the Legion. Maybe I'll feel like subbing again, but not for a while, and definitely not for some stupid horde vs alliance focused expansion.

Also lol at vanilla WoW. Only the rosiest of rose tinted goggles make that game look fun.
Undecided wrote:Every time you write a story I cant help but sigh, because I know Im gong to lose another man card.

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:46 am

I played vanilla through end of Cataclysm.

That was more than enough for me.
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Lorce
μ
Night Mares

Post by Lorce (?) » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:07 pm

Perrydotto wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:59 pm
All I know about Garrosh is that fans were pretty dang peeved when he was introduced to Heroes of the Storm because apparently nobody likes Garrosh and they would have liked literally any other character.
People were already upset when he was made warchief years before and he pretty much got even worse after that ^^

sharkmafia

Post by sharkmafia (?) » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:01 pm

Garrosh was made warchief at the start of cataclysm when thrall went off to train to be the Ultimate Mary Sue, and yeah, he was never that popular, on account of being a jerk ass

however

There was a short period after the start of cataclysm where blizzard hadn't decided whether they wanted to make him a villain yet, so there's this part in a low-level zone where he throws a general off a cliff for bombing innocent civilians

anyway after that he got increasingly jerk-assy, including, ironically, bombing a SHITLOAD of innocent civilians when he dropped a fantasy nuke on theramore

and then he ended up as the final boss of mists of pandaria

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:18 pm

ah so that's why people call him Ork Hitler

sharkmafia

Post by sharkmafia (?) » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:47 pm

Yeah by the time we got to the final patch of mists he was leaning pretty hard into the villain thing, see:

(the panda dude is taran zhu who's like the head of the panda ninja police)

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:39 pm

I had more time to think about this at work today, and the more I thought about it, the more depressed and upset I get about it.

I never played the RTS games, so when I got into WoW, I didn't have the background of why these different sides hated each others' guts, and I honestly didn't care. I was just excited to be exploring this cool fantasy world and experiencing all it had to offer.

And then Burning Crusade came out and I was like, "Hell yeah! New races to play as! New places to explore! Demons to kill! FLYING! AWESOME!"

Wrath of the Lich King - "New continent back on Azeroth! So much cool new lore to learn about! OMG PLAYABLE DEATH KNIGHTS FUCK YEAH! Oh, Alliance is pissed off at the Horde over Wrathgate... eh, not my problem, not like I care about that stuff."

Cataclysm - "Whoa, they actually went and completely revamped all the old 1-55 zones to allow for flying in Azeroth! Gonna get to experience a bunch of cool new stories in old locales! New zones for end game stuff! New races! Archaeology OMG A LORE RELATED PROFESSION THAT IS TOTALLY MY SHIT YO!"

Mists of Pandaria - "FUCK YEAH MONK CLASS! FUCK YEAH PANDAREN! FUCK YEAH, ASIAN-THEMED NEW CONTINENT WITH A BUNCH OF NEW STORY STUFF TO LEARN ABOUT! OH FUCK YEAH, LOREWALKERS, THESE GUYS ARE AWESOME! ... Wait, why the fuck did we just blow up Theramore? God dammit, now one of the few cool and chill leaders on the Alliance side hates the Horde."

Warlords of Draenor - "Explore alternate past Draenor? ... Yeah, sure, I'm down with that."

Legion - "DEMON HUNTERS HELL YEAH! ALSO FINALLY GONNA TOPPLE THE LEGION ONCE AND FOR FUCKING ALL, LET'S GET THIS SHIT D- no, wait, why are you pressing for further faction conflict, Blizzard? Seriously, now of all times? God dammit."

Seriously, all throughout classic and past expansions, I've never really given a shit about the whole Alliance vs. Horde thing.

And now with the Legion poised to be defeated and Battle for Azeroth on the horizon, all I can think is...

Diamondheart

Post by Diamondheart (?) » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:34 pm

The funny thing is, in WC3, after all was said and done, the faction war basically ended. I don't think that was about ORCS VS HUMANS, WAAAGH. That was basically over in WC2, and the humans won.

Soft Snow

Post by Soft Snow (?) » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:38 pm

I played and enjoyed both Warcraft 1 & 2, the Horde was pretty straight forward. Orcs want to smash stuff and Humans don't want their stuff smashed. Orcs just wanted to fight and conquer. They were savage, brutal and dark. I loved them for that. Then when Warcraft 3 came out, they changed the Orcs. Now they were all about fighting for survival, build a place for themselves and being free. Gone were the days of mindlessly trashing everything in sight.

Honestly, when I heard that Blizzard wasn't going to make any more RTS Warcraft games I was so angry I refused to play World of Warcraft until Burning Crusade. That and I couldn't really afford the subscription at the time. But when I did finally play it, the first time I stepped into a tower, the same ones that I have built for years to defend my base, it felt magical and I knew I would always love the game.

As for the new expansion itself, there are things I love about it and things I'm confused about. I love the idea of them rescaling all the vanilla zones and dungeons to match your current level within a 20 level range of that zone. With all the experience bonuses you get now, you do five quests and a dungeon and you have already out leveled zone and have to go to the next one. You barely get to see any of the zone, let alone the end zone content, as you are just traveling to the next one.

I don't understand why we need six new races. I can understand adding the Zandalari and Dark Iron joining, but not the other four. I spent all that time questing for Nightborne and getting exalted with them just for them to turn around and become my enemies? If I knew that I wouldn't have helped them. I would have actively seeked their demise. I wish the Nightborne were a neutral race like the Pandas. Beyond that what the Alliance is getting seems a bit baffling to me. Why do we need a Draenei and Lightforged Draenei? I don't understand the logical difference between the two because the Draenei has always been for the light. And Void Elves are just shadow priests, I don't understand why they need to be a thing. The Horde thought they were to dangerous so the Alliance took them instead? What? Why? I feel like the Void Elves are going to be the Forsaken for the Alliance. It would be like the Horde suddenly getting Warsavage Orcs and Treasure Goblins as their new races.

It also throws off the class balances as well because now Horde gets two races that can be druids and the alliance dosen't and the Horde is taking over the druid capital. Draeneis can be shamans, Lightforged Draenei can not. Lightforged can not be monks either. Can Dark Irons be shamans too? Because if not Horde has more shaman options as well. I want to play the new Alliance races but I'm not big on making another warrior, rogue, mage, priest for it. I was hoping Nightborne and Voids could at least be demon hunters.
If I had a bit for every time you made me feel worthless I'd be worth something by now.

sharkmafia

Post by sharkmafia (?) » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:44 am

I mean, the nightborne joining the horde out of the two factions makes perfect sense. The blood elves are very sympathetic to the magic addiction thing, whereas tyrande, although obviously siding with the nightborne over literal demons, was basically like, 'man FUCK you guys.' Obviously she has her reasons due to their history, but still. It's pretty clear which side was more interested in helping them. I'm sure they still like YOU, specifically, but the alliance as a whole has given them less reason to be enthused.

I do agree that the new alliance races besides dark iron dwarf are pretty stupid though

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:52 am

why are they adding a lot of new races and still not letting goblins be friends with everyone

blizzard go away
ImageImageImageImage

Soft Snow

Post by Soft Snow (?) » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:31 am

sharkmafia wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:44 am
I mean, the nightborne joining the horde out of the two factions makes perfect sense. The blood elves are very sympathetic to the magic addiction thing, whereas tyrande, although obviously siding with the nightborne over literal demons, was basically like, 'man FUCK you guys.' Obviously she has her reasons due to their history, but still. It's pretty clear which side was more interested in helping them. I'm sure they still like YOU, specifically, but the alliance as a whole has given them less reason to be enthused.

I do agree that the new alliance races besides dark iron dwarf are pretty stupid though
I'm still confused why the Nightborne would decide to join either side. They are free from the demons, they have their city they have been living safely in for over ten thousand years and now they have their own little continent to play with seeing how the Horde and Alliance have no reason to be there anymore. The Broken Isles have been there since at least Warcraft 2 and either side hasn't shown any interest in them since the them until the Legion showed up, story wise they would just leave the islands again and the Nightborne should be left to their own devices. I don't see why they would want to someone's conflict after getting out of their own.

It feels like there are so many other races that we have been forgotten about that would love the opportunity to join either side. But I feel like this sudden rush of races will be a new trend for WoW. I imagine like every patch in the next expansion will have a new "allied" race added.
Gloomy Rube wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:52 am
why are they adding a lot of new races and still not letting goblins be friends with everyone

blizzard go away
More importantly, why aren't the ogres a playable race yet when we already have like four elf races now.
:-I
If I had a bit for every time you made me feel worthless I'd be worth something by now.

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:10 am

... you make an extremely good point. Ogres often worked for the horde, and are obviously intelligent enough to have societies and mages, so they really should be. Maybe Blizzard just doesn't want any extra big races? They might need to raise the roofs on some buildings for player ogres to fit.
ImageImageImageImage

Diamondheart

Post by Diamondheart (?) » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:52 pm

I think it's more that the horde is basically 85% blood elves. Like who would play ogres?

sharkmafia

Post by sharkmafia (?) » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:56 pm

tbh i dont mind the 'monster' races except for their posture (fucks with transmog), and ogres have good posture

that said yeah my current characters are undead and blood elf

Diamondheart

Post by Diamondheart (?) » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:01 pm

I play mostly pandas, and also alliance because I like spikeless architecture. I'm not really interested in any of the subraces coming in the new xpac.

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:02 pm

add goblins to the game as a neutral race blizzard.

"we already have goblins"

add more
ImageImageImageImage

Jill
it's the super maria sisters super show!!!
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:19 pm

add buns

Bigdog
implied

Post by Bigdog (?) » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:05 pm

they literally made like a new anthro version of the virmen for the gadgetzan hearthstone expansion but neither that version nor the good version of gadgetzan will make it into wow because we gotta placate the mentally 13yo RED = DEAD crowd and the elf-fuckers (but i repeat myself)