how's everyone feel about the new wow expansion

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

sharkmafia

Re: how's everyone feel about the new wow expansion

Post by sharkmafia (?) » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:29 pm

i mean ngl im pretty stoked about making my warrior a nightborne, i think everyone who played through suramar probably is. the nightborne are cool

also good-posture trolls

if i were alliance, though, i would be SLIGHTLY annoyed with my choices

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:33 pm

I will forever be peeved about the fact that the female choices are almost exclusively some variation of "hot babe", including the female choices of races that are decidedly not designed for big tittied small waisted model-grade women
Image /// Image /// Image

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:40 pm

Especially bad when the options used to actually be more diverse but nope gotta make everything conventionally fuckable I guess??

Female trolls before:

Female trolls now:

Conventionally attractive female options are fine, but if they are literally the only option I can have yeah I'm gonna be peeved!

Not even the fat pandas escape the "no uggo/fatty females allowed" rule

I harp on this every time the subject comes up and I apologize if it's boring but fuck I love videogames and I especially love videogames with character customization/roleplaying possibilities and nothing ruins my immersion harder when there's a huge colorful fantasy world yet women without giant tiddies, tiny waists and maybe curvy thighs are apparently just impossible

Bigdog
implied

Post by Bigdog (?) » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:52 pm

honestly im most annoyed that there is no body type choice, period. its 2017, not having an extensive array of body sliders in a AAA rpg product should be somehow punishable

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:01 pm

To be fair the game is originally from 2004 and pribably still runs on its ancient-ass engine, so not having sliders I can understand to a degree, but not even different preset options or more variety between races is poor, I agree

sharkmafia

Post by sharkmafia (?) » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:17 pm

Note that male trolls (and orcs) at least get the option to have good posture this expac like the female ones already do, but yeah that doesnt excuse the design of the female 'monster races'

also when are those female troll pics from, beta? because female trolls have had the present design (with worse textures) for as long as wow has been a game that's been out. I know because i am unfortunately an on-and-off lifer at this game

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:15 am

I think those are from the alpha.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:24 am

all the more disappointing that they walked back on that so early, then

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:54 am

Jill wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:19 pm
add buns
FFXIV should add Viera imo.
ImageImage
Image3DS Friend Code: 2852-6885-2752

Jill
it's the super maria sisters super show!!!
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:39 am

Quanta wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:54 am
FFXIV should add Viera imo.
yeah maybe then i'd try it out

then again their subscription model with ff11 was a nightmare so maybe not

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:47 pm

Perrydotto wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:40 pm

Not even the fat pandas escape the "no uggo/fatty females allowed" rule
you say this, but a lot of wow 'fans' got/get extremely mad about female pandarens because they're 'too fat' and 'unattractive' :-I
ImageImageImageImage

sharkmafia

Post by sharkmafia (?) » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:26 pm

Yeah, that's definitely a thing. Female pandas still have a conventionally attractive body type for sure, but because they're not female blood elf style 'literally a supermodel,' a certain subset of nerds think they are fat.

See also: mei

Angry Critter

Post by Angry Critter (?) » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:56 pm

Cant really afford to play wow atm anyway :/ kinda done with it, even though I do miss parts of it. It's just not the same when I play now.

Bigdog
implied

Post by Bigdog (?) » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:11 pm

Female pandas are definitely, uh, chubbier, stockier, whatever you want to call it. That isn't mutually exclusive with being some sort of conventionally attractive, though (and that's a good thing). The dimorphism is still dumb tho.

Basically my dream list has two things:

-A full spectrum of body types and sizes.** If not a slider in the sense of real-time morphing, there should at least be a range of choices comparable to the hair, beard, etc. model options that already exist.

**Within reason. I'm pretty sure nobody who isn't either trolling or in need of counseling has ever asked for the ability to make a My 600-lb Life contestant in WoW.

-A much, much closer overlap and correspondence between the male and female spectra. They don't have to be 100% identical, but the bell curves should largely overlap with only the relative extremes peeking out. You know, like in real life.

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:47 pm

Bigdog wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:11 pm
Female pandas are definitely, uh, chubbier, stockier, whatever you want to call it. That isn't mutually exclusive with being some sort of conventionally attractive, though (and that's a good thing). The dimorphism is still dumb tho.
speaking of dumb dimorphism, the au ra in ffxiv :-I
ImageImageImageImage

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:51 pm

Bigdog wrote:

-A much, much closer overlap and correspondence between the male and female spectra. They don't have to be 100% identical, but the bell curves should largely overlap with only the relative extremes peeking out. You know, like in real life.
I think if you were working on a weird enough monster race extreme dimorphism would be fine, but at the same time there'd be no problem since they obviously wouldn't look especially human at all in that case :-I

Just, like, if you made a mantis race the female ones would normally be a lot taller, or if you made an angler fish race, the male characters would be very very tiny.

Anyway, my point is when you're making totally wacky races, feel free to go wild with whatever, but when you're making "human but with fuzz" or "Human but with scales" then it just is dumb to have such ridiculous dimorphism.

And while I'm at it female draenei should be at least as buff as female orcs gosh dang
ImageImageImageImage

Bigdog
implied

Post by Bigdog (?) » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:29 pm

Gloomy Rube wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:47 pm
speaking of dumb dimorphism, the au ra in ffxiv :-I
well, I mean, I never expect good race design from animes

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:49 pm

Jill wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:39 am
yeah maybe then i'd try it out

then again their subscription model with ff11 was a nightmare so maybe not
They stopped billing at the start of the month years ago, and FFXIV doesn't do the ContentID shit or whatever for character slots.
Gloomy Rube wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:47 pm
you say this, but a lot of wow 'fans' got/get extremely mad about female pandarens because they're 'too fat' and 'unattractive' :-I
Please don't say mean things about my T H I C C panda waifu. :(
ImageImage
Image3DS Friend Code: 2852-6885-2752

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:03 am

oh, yeah, even if you decide to play ffxi again, they redid the billing system for it too, so it works the same as xiv and you aren't billed at the start of the month either.
ImageImageImageImage

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:25 pm

also goblins are the best race in wow let me be a goblin more, blizzard
ImageImageImageImage

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:36 pm

Bigdog wrote:
Yeah, my issue isn't that female Pandarens have the option of being the most "safe" version of a female fat character (as in, curvy thighs and tits, and just a slightly wider waist), but that it's literally the only option and that the guys are distinctly more fat. Like you said, it's a pointless dimorphism no matter what, and is really just there to offend gross nerds the least.

As said, as someone who finds character customization and playing pretend a big selling point of games like this, nothing ruins my immersion more than a big vast fantasy world only having intensely idealized (and often sexualized) female options. Beauty standards vary widely from person to person, and this intense appealing to the lowest common denominator (beefy dudes, slim and big tittied ladies) just leaves a whole bunch of people out.

Guild Wars 2, my MMO of choice, is no saint in this regard (a bunch of female armor for the human races ranges from slightly silly to basically battle bikini, the beefy human race of the Norn lets their dudes be full fat and beef while the gals can only be kinda beefy and not fat) but at the very least the "monster" races (the Charr and the Asura) have no stupid gender dimorphism. Neither race has tits and neither race makes its female versions more cutesy/small/slender by default. You can make them cute and feminine, but it's not forced upon you. I was able to make my female Charr a big beefy catwoman, no less big or beefy than the male counterparts, and I think that's neato and should be more common.

Bigdog
implied

Post by Bigdog (?) » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:34 pm

Perrydotto wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:36 pm
As said, as someone who finds character customization and playing pretend a big selling point of games like this, nothing ruins my immersion more than a big vast fantasy world only having intensely idealized (and often sexualized) female options. Beauty standards vary widely from person to person, and this intense appealing to the lowest common denominator (beefy dudes, slim and big tittied ladies) just leaves a whole bunch of people out.

Guild Wars 2, my MMO of choice, is no saint in this regard (a bunch of female armor for the human races ranges from slightly silly to basically battle bikini, the beefy human race of the Norn lets their dudes be full fat and beef while the gals can only be kinda beefy and not fat) but at the very least the "monster" races (the Charr and the Asura) have no stupid gender dimorphism. Neither race has tits and neither race makes its female versions more cutesy/small/slender by default. You can make them cute and feminine, but it's not forced upon you. I was able to make my female Charr a big beefy catwoman, no less big or beefy than the male counterparts, and I think that's neato and should be more common.
Yeah, that's the sort of stuff I meant by having the bell curves mostly overlap. I don't have a problem with having female maxbeef be a little less beef than male maxbeef, but it should be like a Zarya vs. Reinhardt thing, not Tracer vs. Reinhardt as it so often seems to be. :v:

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:34 pm

Perrydotto wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:36 pm

Guild Wars 2, my MMO of choice, is no saint in this regard (a bunch of female armor for the human races ranges from slightly silly to basically battle bikini, the beefy human race of the Norn lets their dudes be full fat and beef while the gals can only be kinda beefy and not fat)
This is one of the best things in that regard about FFXIV. The armor looks the same almost always no matter the gender, and the gender-specific wearable items are extremely unusual. Pretty much anything can be worn by anyone, and female armor doesn't magically become really weird despite looking normal on guys.
ImageImageImageImage

Geomancing
Patreon supporter

Post by Geomancing (?) » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:57 pm

Azeroth has a sentient, humanoid race for just about everything. Hyenas, fish, rocks, cats, bears AND pandas, wolves, four kinds of cow/moose/buffalo/elk, plants and mushrooms, walruses, boars, raw magical energy, and in Battle for Azeroth we're getting snakes (not naga, actual snake people), turtles, and fennec foxes.

What I'm saying is kick every race out of both Horde and Alliance and make all players be furries.

sharkmafia

Post by sharkmafia (?) » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:29 pm

no thanks, im fine with being an elf

especially a magic purple elf, should be cool

Diamondheart

Post by Diamondheart (?) » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:56 pm

Gloomy Rube wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:34 pm
This is one of the best things in that regard about FFXIV. The armor looks the same almost always no matter the gender, and the gender-specific wearable items are extremely unusual. Pretty much anything can be worn by anyone, and female armor doesn't magically become really weird despite looking normal on guys.
Everyone goes through their Hard Leather Subligar and related armors phase. It's very very skimpy, and on both genders.

Diamondheart

Post by Diamondheart (?) » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:36 pm

Forgot to include a picture.

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:04 pm

yup subligar are a final fantasy mmo tradition
ImageImageImageImage

Rainbow Crash
Rainbow Racers

Post by Rainbow Crash (?) » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:54 pm

I'm mostly looking forward to having more character slots per server. I like leveling alts, but I want to stay on my home server which is currently full. I'm definitely going to level a highmountain tauren and nightborne.

Any interest in making a guild somewhere just for fun?
:fancyhat:

Bigdog
implied

Post by Bigdog (?) » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:07 am

what is fun

Geomancing
Patreon supporter

Post by Geomancing (?) » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:13 am

It's highly likely that I'll be unable to play any of the new Horde races, as my current only Horde character is level 15. And I doubt you can do the questlines for them on an Alliance character, because what would be the point for them to be faction-restricted then? So in order to play Nightborne I would have to level to 110/120, do the quest, then start over to play the race I wanted to in the first place.

Dumb.

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:56 pm

Geomancing wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:13 am
It's highly likely that I'll be unable to play any of the new Horde races, as my current only Horde character is level 15. And I doubt you can do the questlines for them on an Alliance character, because what would be the point for them to be faction-restricted then? So in order to play Nightborne I would have to level to 110/120, do the quest, then start over to play the race I wanted to in the first place.

Dumb.
Wait are they faction-locking the new races? :-I
ImageImageImageImage

Geomancing
Patreon supporter

Post by Geomancing (?) » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:19 pm

Yeah. Alliance gets Lightforged Draenei, Dark Iron Dwarves, and 2edgy4u 'void elves'. Horde gets Nightborne, Highmountain tauren, and Zandalari trolls.

sharkmafia

Post by sharkmafia (?) » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:27 pm

Pretty sure you could just race change the character you did the questline with to nightborne once they're unlocked, though? Seems more efficient, although you would have to pay for the race change.

and yes the new races are faction locked because that's what makes sense. Nightborne is the only one where it's even slightly ambiguous as to which side they'd pick (horde still definitely makes sense though), and introducing faction-locked AND neutral races at the same time is far too complicated for blizzard

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:49 pm

No I mean, you have to have a level 110 character in that faction to play the new races??
ImageImageImageImage

Rainbow Crash
Rainbow Racers

Post by Rainbow Crash (?) » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:07 pm

So they've said. They also hinted there might be a rep grind too. Might have to get exalted with Highmountain or Suramar, for example.
:fancyhat:

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:36 pm

Geomancing wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:13 am

Dumb.
They're including a level boost when you buy the expansion that'll let you instantly level a character to 110. So assuming you already have at least one level 110 Alliance character, you could just boost your level 15 Horde dude to 110 to get access to the new Horde recruiting quests and get the new races that way.

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:51 pm

If I get this I'll probably boost my goblin so I don't have to deal with horde leveling zones.

Alliance leveling zone plots: "save these people from this thing"

Horde leveling zone plots: "beat up the alliance"
ImageImageImageImage

Geomancing
Patreon supporter

Post by Geomancing (?) » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:48 pm

To be fair a lot of the Cataclysm-era Alliance quests are quite warmongery as well, since that was the last time they were pushing the dumb PvP stuff. But yeah, playing my Tauren, I'm intentionally skipping most quests from Undead questgivers because they're all 'hey go test out this toxin' or 'we think this ingredient will make a fantastic biological weapon' and I'm just nope.

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:52 pm

Geomancing wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:48 pm
To be fair a lot of the Cataclysm-era Alliance quests are quite warmongery as well, since that was the last time they were pushing the dumb PvP stuff. But yeah, playing my Tauren, I'm intentionally skipping most quests from Undead questgivers because they're all 'hey go test out this toxin' or 'we think this ingredient will make a fantastic biological weapon' and I'm just nope.
The worst is trying to play an undead as anything but a lockstep murder psycho. The start of the undead quest line is "You are free to do anything you want" and then three quests in you're told to go kill anyone who is doing what they want instead of falling in line, and then a few quests after you're killing random farmers :-I
ImageImageImageImage