GOKU FOR SMASH!! - Smash Bros Hype and Speculation Thread

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

DarkMatter

GOKU FOR SMASH!! - Smash Bros Hype and Speculation Thread

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:42 pm

Hey so a new Smash Bros. was revealed during the Nintendo Direct and the internet is already losing their minds, in case you didn't notice. Little is known about it so far other than it seems to be going by the title "Super Smash Bros." and the only characters that can be 100% confirmed are Mario, Link (sporting his Breath of the Wild attire), and the Inklings from Splatoon. And it's also probably safe to assume all the mainstays like Yoshi, Pikachu, Samus, DK, etc. are back too.

So here's a thread where we can get hyped and speculate what we hope to see in Smash 5. Who do you hope to see? What stages? Who do you think might get cut? Or do you think it's just going to be an enhanced port of Smash 4?

Go hog wild, people always do with Smash Bros.
Last edited by DarkMatter on Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Juju&Lulu

Re: GOKU FOR SMASH!! - Smash Bros Hype and Speculation Thread

Post by Juju&Lulu (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:53 pm

As long as Rosalina and Wii Fit Trainer come back I'll be good.

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:59 pm

bring back bayonetta, cloud, wii fit trainer, and rosalina

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:00 pm

Bring back bayonetta but not as OP
πŸ‘‰πŸ‘‰πŸ₯œπŸ 

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:05 pm

I'm hoping no one from Smash 4 gets cut, especially not Bayonetta, Wii Fit Trainer, or Little Mac.

I guess I'd be okay with losing Dark Pit and just making him an alt color for Pit.

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:06 pm

Gimme some of the Hyrule Warriors characters. (This probably won't happen.)

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:10 pm

One of my friends is a R.O.B main and I'd hate to see her disappointed.
πŸ‘‰πŸ‘‰πŸ₯œπŸ 

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:13 pm

I think anyone that carried over from Brawl to Smash 4 is going to be safe. The only reason the Ice Climbers were cut from Smash 4 was because the 3DS version held them back.

So the Ice Climbers better come back on the Switch since we don't have to worry about an inferior version of the game hurting it.

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:03 pm

if anyone gets cut, i'm fine with some of the fire emblem characters getting the cut

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:41 pm

I like the Fire Emblem characters a lot, though. Despite never having played a Fire Emblem game. But I find Robin and Corrin to be really fun and unique characters and Lucina is one of my favorites in Smash 4.

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:42 pm

if anything, get rid of marth and roy

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:19 pm

Eh, I'd say Marth probably has to stay. As far as I can tell he's like THE character of Fire Emblem. Roy I could see not make a return since he only came back via fan demand as DLC (that's not to say I don't want the DLC characters to come back because I also want to keep Mewtwo and Lucas).

Juju&Lulu

Post by Juju&Lulu (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:49 pm

Would anyone really be mad if Ike got cut?

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:58 pm

Ike's got a lot of fans so probably. Ike carried over from Brawl, though, so I imagine he's safe. In a perfect world nobody would get cut but I wouldn't be surprised if there are a couple.

Who was even cut from Brawl in Smash 4? I'm trying to remember but the only ones I can remember are Ice Climbers and Pokemon Trainer, both of which were cut due to the 3DS' limitations. Oh, and Snake, but he's third party and I doubt Konami will let him show up again.

Juju&Lulu

Post by Juju&Lulu (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:00 pm

Wolf from Star Fox and I can't remember if they made him a DLC character.
Last edited by Juju&Lulu on Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:04 pm

Oh right, forgot Wolf. Yeah, they never brought him back as DLC like they did with Lucas.

Juju&Lulu

Post by Juju&Lulu (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:08 pm

My favorite non-mainstay characters were Rosalina, Wii Fit Trainer, and Duck Hunt Dog. In pretty confident Rosalina is safe being a major Mario character. So I hope the other two also make it.

As for modes I enjoyes Smash Run on the 3DS the most so I'd like to see it come back.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:32 pm

Snake coming back would be nice, except Konami no longer cares about anything that isn't a pachinko machine or isn't loaded with microtransactions, so he ain't returning unless a miracle happens.

Fontra
forums shittiest ponisters

Post by Fontra (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:52 pm

Honestly, if they're going to cut fire emblem characters, it absolutely should 100% be Lucina, Corrin, and Roy and at best Lucina and Roy should be alternate costumes for Marth. Robin, Ike, and Marth should stay though.

Lucina and Roy add nothing to the roster and are just worse versions of Marth while Corrin was literally added as a way to advertise Fates.
Last edited by Fontra on Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fontra

Post by Fontra (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:54 pm

Juju&Lulu wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:49 pm
Literally everyone

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:06 pm

Konami won't let Snake get in just to spite Kojima because they know he'd like it.

I could see Bomberman show up as a Konami guest and he'd honestly fit right in.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:17 pm

Calling it now: The Fire Emblem has-beens will be combined into one character. Similar to Pokemon Trainer from Brawl, that owl from Fire Emblem Heroes will sit in the background on a pile of orbs and will have three characters to summon. When the owl's last stock is gone, it tries to buy more orbs but fails because its wallet is empty.

Note: I have never played Fire Emblem Heroes, nor have I played any gacha games in its vein, nor have I played any Fire Emblem games at all.

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:01 pm

One thing I'm hoping is that they have a better stage selection this time around. I realized, over time, that (not counting DLC) I disliked a lot of the stages in Smash 4. Too many of them had a bad layout or were flat out ruined by some dumb gimmick that made it feel like you were fighting the stage more than each other. I'm cool with some stages having a gimmick, it is Smash Bros after all, but they ruined stages like Wily's Castle, Wrecking Crew, and Pyrosphere.

I want more stages like Pilotwings, which was my favorite stage in the base game of Smash 4. Fun and light on gimmicks.

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:51 pm

honestly I'd love if they brought back Wolf and then decided to change the final smash for Falco (enough of reusing landmasters already!) and reworked Wolf to be a bit more different from fox and falco than he was in brawl

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:50 pm

Let's see here... going by the list of characters from previous Smash games on Wikipedia:

Captain Falcon, Donkey Kong, Fox, Jigglypuff, Kirby, Link, Luigi, Mario, Ness, Pikachu, Samus, Yoshi were the original roster of the N64 game, and have been in every game to date. Pretty sure none of these guys are getting cut.

Bowser, Falco, Ganondorf, Marth, Mr. Game & Watch, Peach, Zelda and Sheik were all added in Melee and were also in Brawl and Wii U/3DS version, though Zelda and Sheik were split into separate characters. These guys are also all probably coming back, though it's possible they might recombine Zelda and Sheik since they don't have the 3DS limiting character model gimmicks anymore.

Dr. Mario was added in Melee, dropped for Brawl, brought back for Wii U/3DS. He could probably stand to be cut again, or at least become a costume option for regular Mario.

Ice Climbers were added in Melee, stuck around for Brawl, got dropped for Wii U/3DS because of technical limitations. It's possible they might make a comeback, if not in the base game then potentially as DLC.

Young Link and Pichu were added in Melee and subsequently dropped in the next two games. Probably not coming back, especially given that Toon Link basically fulfills the same niche that Young Link did, thematically if not mechanically.

Mewtwo and Roy were added in Melee, dropped for Brawl, then came back as DLC for Wii U/3DS due to fan demand. Probably a good chance of them returning either base game or DLC again; Mewtwo strikes me as more likely to be a base game character than Roy, though.

Diddy Kong, Ike, King Dedede, Lucario, Meta Knight, Olimar, Pit, R.O.B., Sonic, Toon Link, Wario and Zero Suit Samus were added in Brawl and all came back for Wii U/3DS, with ZSS becoming a separate character from normal Samus. These guys are all probably going to show up again. The only ones that are questionable to me are Sonic (who's 3rd party, meaning Sega basically gets final call on whether or not he comes back) and Zero Suit Samus, who could either return as a distinct character on her own or get recombined with normal Samus, similar to the Zelda/Sheik conundrum.

Charizard was introduced in Brawl as part of the Pokemon Trainer's team and was the only one to carry forward into Wii U/3DS while Squirtle and Ivysaur were dropped. Charizard is probably also likely to comeback, but whether as his own separate character or part of a team like his original incarnation was is up for debate.

Snake's probably not coming back. Honestly, given how shitty Konami has become in recent years, I'm not sure I'd want him back, either, since his being in the game would mean that Nintendo would probably have to pay royalties and the thought of Konami getting money from that makes my skin crawl.

Wolf is basically just a Fox clone. I suppose it's possible he could be brought back, but I doubt it.

Lucas was dropped from the core game of Wii U/3DS, but brought back as DLC. I'm not sure how they're going to handle him, given that Mother 3 is likely never going to see a Western release. Then again, they may just bring him back in some form because the character is popular.

Bowser Jr., Dark Pit, Duck Hunt, Greninja, Little Mac, Lucina, the Mii trio, Palutena, Robin, Rosalina & Luma, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and Corrin is likely where we're going to see the most cuts, if any, I feel.

Mega Man, Pac-Man, Cloud and Ryu are all third party, so again, it's up to whether or not Nintendo wants to pay royalties for them and whether their owners will allow them to come back. Given how much demand for him there's been over the life of the series, though, I'll be kinda shocked if Capcom nixes Mega Man returning.

I think Bayonetta and Shulk are both technically third party in that they're not owned by Nintendo itself, but Nintendo has exclusive rights to Bayonetta 2, and Xenoblade was a Wii-exclusive title despite being developed by Monolith Soft. Bayonetta will likely return (especially if Platinum Games are up for it), but I dunno about Shulk. He wasn't in Xenoblade Chronicle X (though you could customize your character to look like him, and even use his voice actor), and he wasn't in Xenoblade 2 at all as far as I'm aware. I feel like there's a good chance he could be cut.

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:56 pm

On the subject of characters we hope might actually show up, I just realized that since Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star had a Switch port, that means that Saber (Artoria Pendragon) has been in a Nintendo game before, and is thus technically eligible for Smash Bros., much like how Cloud got in on a technicality due to being in the Theatrhythm games on 3DS. :-D

And it'll probably never happen and now I'm sad that I'll never be able to have gender-flipped King Arthur unleashing Excalibur: The Sword of Promised Victory as a Final Smash. :cry:

sharkmafia

Post by sharkmafia (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:00 pm

Juju&Lulu wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:49 pm
Answer: yes. How dare you even SUGGEST it you fucker

Shoe-in fire emblem characters are marth, ike, and possibly robin or lucina, with additional FE characters coming from the new switch fire emblem probably

sharkmafia

Post by sharkmafia (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:04 pm

W.T. Fits wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:56 pm
On the subject of characters we hope might actually show up, I just realized that since Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star had a Switch port, that means that Saber (Artoria Pendragon) has been in a Nintendo game before, and is thus technically eligible for Smash Bros., much like how Cloud got in on a technicality due to being in the Theatrhythm games on 3DS. :-D

And it'll probably never happen and now I'm sad that I'll never be able to have gender-flipped King Arthur unleashing Excalibur: The Sword of Promised Victory as a Final Smash. :cry:
I mean yeah there's a pretty wide gulf between 'has technically been in a nintendo game before' and 'is literally cloud strife'

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:11 pm

Just shove all the characters in fuck balance have em all make em all pay to download pay to win every character from now on a new downloadable character to buy and be better than everyone and buy separately for cash money.
πŸ‘‰πŸ‘‰πŸ₯œπŸ 

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:14 pm

West Filly wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:11 pm
Just shove all the characters in fuck balance have em all make em all pay to download pay to win every character from now on a new downloadable character to buy and be better than everyone and buy separately for cash money.
no

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:48 am

On the subject of third party characters I'd REALLY love to see Travis Touchdown. No More Heroes is basically a Nintendo franchise anyway, even though NMH1 had a port to the PS3. Bayo proves that M rated characters can mesh fine with the Smash cast, they'd just have to tone down Travis' language. (We can't have him calling Luigi a "fuckhead".)

Fontra

Post by Fontra (?) » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:23 am

West Filly wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:11 pm
You forgot to make the characters be unlocked with lootboxes

Fontra

Post by Fontra (?) » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:26 am

Oh I just thought of something: please dear god do not add anyone from Xenoblade 2 to Smash

I hate literally every single character's design and personality in that game. I'd really rather they kept Shulk.
Last edited by Fontra on Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fontra

Post by Fontra (?) » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:28 am

But if they do add XB2 characters, add Travis Touchdown and make it so I can use him to call them fuckheads

Juju&Lulu

Post by Juju&Lulu (?) » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:10 am

Looks like someone's already cracked the code.

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:50 am

Fontra wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:23 am
You forgot to make the characters be unlocked with lootboxes
That's what I said, in game purchases.
πŸ‘‰πŸ‘‰πŸ₯œπŸ 

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:08 pm

Dunkey's video is great. I'm so glad Jimmy Neutron and Jack Skelington are finally gonna make it into Smash.

Also, I will be shocked if New Donk City doesn't make it in as a stage with a Jump Up, Superstar! concert variant where you see Pauline performing in the background.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:18 pm

DarkMatter wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:08 pm
Also, I will be shocked if New Donk City doesn't make it in as a stage with a Jump Up, Superstar! concert variant where you see Pauline performing in the background.
Do this while also bringing back New Pork City.

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:38 pm

sharkmafia wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:04 pm
I mean yeah there's a pretty wide gulf between 'has technically been in a nintendo game before' and 'is literally cloud strife'
She may not literally have the same level of popularity around the world that Cloud and Final Fantasy have, but that doesn't mean she's some obscure no-name character from a series nobody's ever heard of, either.

I was only using "has technically been in a Nintendo game before" as a metric because I remembered a previous Nintendo direct talking about the Smash DLC characters where they initially weren't sure whether or not they could justify adding Cloud as a representative for Final Fantasy despite his popularity because his original game and most of the other spinoffs that feature him aren't on Nintendo consoles. Him being in the Theatrhythm games, even if only as a blob of stats with some abilities attached and no personality or dialogue, was enough to qualify him as a "Nintendo character" for the purposes of adding him to the Smash roster.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:53 pm

Fizzbuzz wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:18 pm
Do this while also bringing back New Pork City.
Better not, because as much as I liked the idea behind New Pork City, it being a freaking giant map made it difficult and unfun to play. I don't generally mind the big maps, but New Pork City annoyed even me.
Image /// Image /// Image