PYF marketing silliness

Come on in, come to the place where fun never ends. (Shenanigans!)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

diribigal
Special Flowers

Re: PYF marketing silliness

Post by diribigal (?) » Mon May 03, 2021 5:07 pm

I just looked up "macapuno" on Wikipedia and "gelatinous mutant coconut" seems like a much more reasonable description than I would have initially guessed possible. Maybe still not ideal marketing, though.
ImageImageImage Very math.

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Mon May 03, 2021 10:12 pm

Macapuno, kopyor or coconut sport is a naturally occurring coconut cultivar which has an abnormal development of the endosperm. The result of this abnormal development is a soft translucent jelly-like flesh that fills almost the entire central cavity of coconut seeds, with little to no coconut water.
:spike101:

:-I "Where are you reading that from, Spike?"
:dearcelestia: "Twilight, get with the information revolution! This is Whinnypedia, the scroll that anyone can edit! What a time to be alive."
:flutterunsmith: "Well, I appreciate the truth in advertising. The ponies who sell these seem very honest."
:applejargh: "Don't you start too! I tell you, things ain't been right since the Macapuno Family moved to Ponyville."
:twonk: "Applejack! That's extremely racist!"
:bluh: "That ain't racism, it's standard Farm Clan Feudin' Talk, a hallowed practice old as agriculture itself."
:ponder: "You have often said that feudin' is the universal language."
:mad: "I just don't trust that daughter of theirs. I think Gelatinousmutantcoconutjack is fixin' to replace me."

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Tue May 04, 2021 1:15 am

I wonder if it tastes the same as regular coconut. If it does, it seems like it would be an easy way to make natural "coconut-flavored" things like ice cream without having to put up with the texture of shredded coconut that refuses to blend.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sat May 22, 2021 8:40 pm

An ancient TV ad. I have so many questions about this.

Like, the bad animation, the non-existent lipsync

Also, the lion saying "be sure it's the original!" We're other companies ripping off Bishop's Fudge? Is that why they're not around anymore?

Mechanical Ape

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Sat May 22, 2021 9:46 pm

"Made by the makers of PowerHouse candy bar!" I had to look this up; PowerHouse existed in my childhood but I'll be danged if I remember it.

Despite its name, PowerHouse was not some early form of energy bar. It was peanuts, caramel and fudge covered in chocolate, basically a Snickers bar with fudge instead of nougat. It was discontinued in the early '80s and seems to retain some highly nostalgic fans.

I doubt Mr. Big needs me to tell him that the announcer is George S. Irving, famed voice of Heat Miser and narrator for Underdog.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sun May 23, 2021 4:13 am

I kept expecting Underdog to appear in that ad :-I

"Can Simon Bar Sinister steal all the Powerhouse Candy Bars? Tune in next episode to find out!"

Also, while PowerHouse candy bar existed for a long time, I can't find anything about Bishop's Home Style Fudge. It really seems like it was very short-lived, and the only evidence of it existing is that commercial.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Sun May 23, 2021 6:28 am

Five cents for a candy bar. Whatta deal! :anticipation:

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sun May 23, 2021 11:15 am

That just reminds me of how Goo Goo Clusters used to also go for five cents back in the day, and were billed in advertising as "a nourishing lunch for a nickel" during the Great Depression. A pile of peanuts, caramel, and marshmallow creme all covered in chocolate is definitely a lot of calories, but it's definitely not anywhere close to nutritious.

As I write this, I'm remembering that I brought a bunch of Goo Goo Clusters to BronyCon 2016 and am wishing the old forums were still here, because I'm pretty sure I remember telling this same story five years ago. :wat:

Mechanical Ape

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Sun May 23, 2021 7:43 pm

"He's caught. No he's not, they're pals."

Top Ten anime plot twist :thumbsup:

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Fri May 28, 2021 1:25 pm

I never really considered that Taco Bell is old, but turns out the first store opened in 1962.

Here's a 1976 commercial starring Patrick Duffy, who would become famous later for playing Bobby Ewing in "Dallas".

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:46 pm

Mechanical Ape wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 9:46 pm

I doubt Mr. Big needs me to tell him that the announcer is George S. Irving, famed voice of Heat Miser and narrator for Underdog.
Speaking of George S. Irving, here's a much older ad he voiced in:

If Irving's voice for the elephant sounds out of place, that's because he wasn't the voice originally. There's an earlier version of the same ad where Twinkles had a more childish voice:

There was a set of short Twinkles cartoons (each episode was 90 seconds long) that aired as a segment on a 1960s TV cartoon "King Leonardo". Those cartoons had considerably more limited animation than in the ads. Irving narrated the cartoons.

The cartoons are rarely seen and while it was retained in syndicated reruns of "King Leonardo", they are not included in the later "Underdog" package, because technically the studio didn't produce the cartoons (they had to air it as part of their sponsorship with General Mills), and because these cartoons were made to promote a cereal that no longer exists.

PonyHag714
Here comes the helmet!

Post by PonyHag714 (?) » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:41 pm

Back in the good old days when even the cereal box gave you some entertainment.
Image ("Don't try to reform me, Hag, because I'm made of cold stone.")

Mechanical Ape

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:13 am

:ponder: "What if our phallic bottle also ejaculated cologne all over the place? Would that cheapen the subtext?"
:awesomedash: "Let's just do it and be legends, man"

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:23 pm

George Steinbrenner, then-owner of the New York Yankees, had a history of hiring and firing manager Billy Martin multiple times, which became a running joke in the baseball fandom. This was played up when they appeared in a commercial together above. There's actually another version where they overdubbed "You're Fired" with "You're Hired".

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:15 pm

:seethe:
ImageImageImageImageImage

PonyHag714
Here comes the helmet!

Post by PonyHag714 (?) » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:02 pm

That's pretty chintzy :unenthused:

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:35 am

I feel like I'd rather have a hollow whole one anyway.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:53 pm

Some of you might remember a segment that aired on "Dexter's Lab" where DeeDee shows Dexter how to make a quick snack by taking a juice and freezing it in a ice cube tray, covering it with plastic wrap and placing tooth picks (some of you probably even made that yourself).

That segment was a parody of a real animated PSA that aired on ABC during Saturday Mornings from 1975 until around 1992, "Sunshine on a Stick"

The character featured, Timer, first appeared in a TV special from 1972 called "The Incredible, Indelible, Magical, Physical Mystery Trip", where Timer takes a young boy and a girl inside a magical journey inside their overweight uncle's body to show why it's important to be physically fit. Timer then appeared on a series of PSAs for ABC, promoting healthy snacks (Wagon Wheel, anyone?), and encouraging kids to be physically fit. The specials and the PSAs were made by DePatie-Freleng, a studio most famous for the Pink Panther and Dr. Seuss cartoons.

Timer was voice by Lennie Weinrib, who later became a voice for Scrappy Doo (until Don Messick took over in the 2nd season)

Mechanical Ape

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:38 pm

Folks my age don't need to be told about Time for Timer. Go find any middle-aged person and yell "I hanker for a hunk a' cheese" at them. Sure as daylight, they will respond with the requisite "ya-hoo". They might not even recall whence this knowledge arises. It sleeps within.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:05 pm

Mr. Big wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:53 pm
Some of you might remember a segment that aired on "Dexter's Lab" where DeeDee shows Dexter how to make a quick snack by taking a juice and freezing it in a ice cube tray, covering it with plastic wrap and placing tooth picks (some of you probably even made that yourself).
I have just the vaguest memory of that, though I remember seeing the same cooking technique (if you can call it that) in one or two other places throughout my childhood. I had no idea about the linked PSA, though.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:03 pm

While we're on those animated PSAs that aired on ABC, here's another one. Despite the video saying it's from 1985, this was actually made in 1977.

The idea of "don't put too much sauce" being worthy enough for a PSA seems laughably hilarious but there's something cute about this. This aired for years on ABC, until the late 1980s/early 1990s.

Like with "Time for Timer", this was a DePatie-Freleng production. Louis was voiced by Arnold Stang, whom you might remember voicing "Top Cat" in the Hanna-Barbera cartoon. Stang also co-starred with Arnold Schwarzenegger in "Hercules in New York", and was one of the actors in "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World". Later in life he did a few voices for "Courage the Cowardly Dog", most notably Sand Whale.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:06 pm

Mechanical Ape wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:38 pm
Folks my age don't need to be told about Time for Timer. Go find any middle-aged person and yell "I hanker for a hunk a' cheese" at them. Sure as daylight, they will respond with the requisite "ya-hoo". They might not even recall whence this knowledge arises. It sleeps within.
While we're on Timer, here's the special he debuted in. There was a 2nd one later on, "Magical Mystery Trip Through Little Red's Head", that was completely animated (no live-action sequences). I can only find a 7 minute excerpt online, tho.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:22 am

Here's a commercial from Mexico, 1960s.

You may have noticed that the animation looks VERY similar to "Bullwinkle". That's because this was made at Gamma Production, a studio in Mexico City that animated "Bullwinkle" for Jay Ward in Hollywood (and later Total Television in New York on "Underdog"). Those shows were among the first to have animation subcontracted to a studio in another country.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:07 pm

Before Nesquik (then just "Quik") had the bunny, they had, uh, these puppet things.

PonyHag714
Here comes the helmet!

Post by PonyHag714 (?) » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:19 pm

You know you're older when you can remember Quik in those cans. :spoiler:

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:38 pm

That anthromorphic hot dog is too happy to be covered in mustard.

"We make life delicious!"

Mechanical Ape

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:47 pm

I swear I didn't even notice the anthropomorphic hot dog on the first viewing, even though I knew in advance it would be there. It's a ... busy animation.

And the part at 0:10 where the sun is suddenly 1 foot away and very small is positively Escher-esque.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:53 pm

Mechanical Ape wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:47 pm
I swear I didn't even notice the anthropomorphic hot dog on the first viewing, even though I knew in advance it would be there. It's a ... busy animation.

And the part at 0:10 where the sun is suddenly 1 foot away and very small is positively Escher-esque.
Oh yeah, understood. Everything's moving all the time here.' So bouncy.

I wonder who decided that the secret to promoting mustard was 1930s-style animation.

Mechanical Ape

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:35 pm

Yeah it feels as if it were shot in an unexplored, low-rent neighborhood in Toontown.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:13 pm

How about commercials for products that was never released?

Back in the 1960s there were attempts at marketing cereals based on famous cartoon characters (think the Flintstones and Pebbles cereals). They made these animatics to show to focus groups for possible cereals, based around Dennis the Menace, Road Runner, and Casper, but none of them made it past the planning stage.

Somehow those animatics wound up on YouTube.

Last edited by Mr. Big on Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mechanical Ape

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:53 pm

Road Runner cereal is actually a good idea. In the cartoons he likes pecking up bowls of stuff -- it's birdseed and not cereal of course, but it's a visual you can market off. Which is all the weirder that they didn't go with it in the commercial. He's using a spoon like a prole.

:yum: Sugared up for go! I know the feeling, man.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:42 pm

Man, if I did get a Road Runner cereal as a kid, I'd try to eat it like how the character ate bird seeds in the cartoon :-I

PonyHag714
Here comes the helmet!

Post by PonyHag714 (?) » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:47 pm

I don't think I could stand listening to that "beep beep" more than a few times.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:15 am

PonyHag714 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:47 pm
I don't think I could stand listening to that "beep beep" more than a few times.
Imagine if that cereal had, as a pack-in prize, a kazoo tuned to match the tone of that voice. So many parents would probably regret getting it for their kids.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:06 pm

Speaking of Post cereal, here's a bunch of Post commercials featuring 1960s version of Alvin and the Chipmunks.

The guy in the first ad is Dave's next door neighbor. He would always try to sleep, but the Chipmunks' singing kept him awake. He appeared in the first episode of the 1960s cartoon, but I don't know if he was in any other.

PonyHag714
Here comes the helmet!

Post by PonyHag714 (?) » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:53 pm

Ah, the days when cereal ads boasted about thier product being covered with sugar. :evil:

Mechanical Ape

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:52 pm

I remember when it was Super Sugar Crisp, then they changed it to Super Golden Crisp and now it's probably something entirely else.

Yeah, "look at all the sugar we have" used to be a selling point.

:party: "In Ponyville it still is!"

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:42 pm

Since I'm in the mood for vintage cartoon characters promoting cereals, here's Woody Woodpecker promoting Kellogg's Rice Krispies. At the time, Woody had a compilation show on TV, which featured old theatrical shorts with newly-created animation and live-action bumpers that showed behind-the-scenes look at how the cartoons were made. Kellogg's was the sponsor, so there were a lot of tie-in ads like this.

Given the traffic in the beginning, I fear to think what happened to those people that got pushed out of the revolving door by Woody.

Also, that guy who took all the cereals look like comic book artist Scott Shaw! :-I

PonyHag714
Here comes the helmet!

Post by PonyHag714 (?) » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:55 pm

I remember the show. Walter Lantz himself hosted the live action parts. Image

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:13 am

PonyHag714 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:55 pm
I remember the show. Walter Lantz himself hosted the live action parts. Image
Fun fact: ex-Disney director Jack Hannah directed the live-action segments on the show. He performed the same duty on "Mickey Mouse Club", where he directed the live-action segments with Walt Disney.

By then, Hannah was laid off from Disney when he stopped producing shorts full-time, hence why he was working for Lantz. From one Walter to another.