Forget it baby, it's (Let's Play) Shadow Dragon.

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Dropping tears does not always mean the sadness.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Forget it baby, it's (Let's Play) Shadow Dragon.

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:23 pm

An item on my bucket list is a shitpost of a Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon LP.

The time is now.

Our mottos are "death" and "Forget it baby, it's Shadow Dragon."
Last edited by Orange Fluffy Sheep on Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:snoop: Image :snoop:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Rarity's Roughnecks

Re: Forget it baby, it's Shadow Dragon.

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:54 pm

This will be a run on normal, because there are two Normal-exclusive units.

I want maximum body count.

Story: there was a bad guy. He died.

Then he got better and teamed up with Gargamel.

Our first objective is to have a chat with sis by the chair.

Code: Select all

Marth - Lord
"I cannot allow a single one of my friends to die."
-Marth, Fire Emblem Heroes
MHP/STR/MAG/SKL/SPD/LCK/DEF/RES
040/035/005/020/030/070/015/007
Reclass set - can't
Marth is the protagonist of Shadow Dragon an the one person who absolutely cannot die, as the game immediately ends as punishment. Marth is an asshole who will be just good enough that I don't get mad that he's mandatory. Marth is stuck as a Lord and cannot promote to something cooler or at least with move than 7 movement. Marth has two unique swords and is only really usable as a vehicle for them instead of his individual merits. Most chapters end by Marth parking his ass on one tile. Marth is the only person who can visit villages. 90% of the game is trying to get Marth to do these things before the end of linear time.

We're stuck with this jerk.

By the way, those are his growths before class. His 5% magic is reduced by his class. I don't know why.

Some assholes show up and get in the way of his friendly chat. They're named "soldier" and have no faces, so when they die you don't care as they don't even register as human.

Luckily in the prologue here, the enemies are pathetic wastes of flesh. Marth has no issues destroying them.

Shadow Dragon is kind of a step back from previous games' animations, using lame-ass 3D model-looking things so we don't get all the swishing and individual uniqueness of the Tellius games, and the smear-heavy fluidity of the GBA games. We just get crud.

I'm glossing over fire emblem basics because I know you assholes know everything, except that Shadow Dragon uses the same weapon weight system as FE9/10, mitigation by strength. These guys have such shitty strength their speed is tanked to effective 0. Marth has decent enough arms to use at least his babby's first swords.

Marth didn't have the gumption to kill this guy in one round due to the weapon triangle, but everyone fucking sucks so I can plow through 'em.

Marth's first level is acceptable. He needs 18 speed to not be doubled by the final boss, so every point is one step closer to that goal.

Marth refuses to chat with his sister unless he can slouch on a chair.

This man is impossibly pathetic but the chair shields his body. It still doesn't help.

Every map but the final boss requires Marth to stand on a point of interest and tell everyone he's king of the hill and they're in detention.

Sis tells Marth that pops got dunked by the betrayal of their ally, Gra.

Elice tells Marth to run away, making him think she'll follow.

She isn't.

On the second prologue map, Marth runs into actually good units.

Frey - Cavalier
"Count this knight honored to die in the service of his prince. Live, sire, and grow strong…"
-Frey, Shadow Dragon
040/020/005/030/045/045/005/005
Reclass set - Male A

Abel - Cavalier
"I once betrayed Prince Marth, if only because Est was a hostage. I will never atone for that crime."
-Abel, Fire Emblem Heroes
025/025/005/025/040/025/005/005
Reclass set - Male A
These two are nigh identical right now, but since they are both level 1 they have plenty of room to diverge. Frey is generally better off, but since level ups are random it can go any way. Cavaliers move 9 panels and use two weapon types and they're what we wish Marth was.

Abel has in his inventory the most important weapon in the universe. You get to hit enemies without them countering and can counter everything. 0 weaknesses. All these fancy weapons like brave lances and silver swords, no one cares. Javelins.

I want Abel and Frey to work on their sword ranks now because the enemies are too pathetic to punish me for it, and they already have D-rank lances to use javelins and will probably use those in realistic circumstances.

Abel christens the Javelin use with a critical hit.

I have a good feeling.

Archers attack from 2 range, which is why Abel had the Javelin there. But they don't hit from 1 range, meaning Javelins are better.

Marth doesn't hit speed, but he gets defense, which is also invaluable this early.

Frey and Abel can't actually double the archer here, but that just means more EXP.

Abel gets an astoundingly good first level. 7 strength means he has no penalty with the Javelin, making that speed more meaningful.

The boss is as pahetic as everyone else. But Marth still has to scoot to this one yellow tile.

Jeigan, everyone's Big Favorite, shows up.

And Abel has more characterization by having this said to him than 90% of the cast.

Elice reveals her true intentions when talking to Malledus, the guy whose job is to not be a unit so Marth has at least one person to talk to.

Since everyone else can die.

Next time, death.

Fontra
forums shittiest ponisters

Post by Fontra (?) » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:27 pm

Marth can steam roll on normal, I'm confused by your apparent hostility toward his usability

Fontra

Post by Fontra (?) » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:41 pm

Also it's nice to have a lord who's essentially an infinite key wielding thief

Fontra

Post by Fontra (?) » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:42 pm

Sheep are you gonna reclass Jagen to Dracoknight? Are you gonna do it? Are you gonna?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:21 pm

Fontra wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:42 pm
Sheep are you gonna reclass Jagen to Dracoknight? Are you gonna do it? Are you gonna?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:00 pm

Marth's dad is dead, rip.

Jagen gives some useless advice. Speaking of useless:

Jagen - Paladin
"Don't use Jagen!"
-Villager, Mystery of the Emblem
000/005/010/010/005/030/005/005
Reclass set - Male A
The famous archetype-making duder, Jagen is a prepromote paladin with awful growths. Unfortunately for him, he also has awful bases, only head of our other cavs effectively by promotion bonuses and very high lance rank. Were this a Hard mode, we'd have to give him a bit of a work early on simply because of his immediate durability and ability to use a Silver Lance. This isn't a hard mode.

Cain - Cavalier
"They used to call me the bull! Hahaha! Cain the Bull!"
-Cain, Fire Emblem Heroes
035/020/005/025/040/040/005/005
Reclass set - Male A
Everything I said about Abel and Frey applies here, except Cain has the shakiest start entirely because he can't use a Javelin yet.

So not only does he have to get decent levels, they have to be good enough to vindicate trying to get him to D lances when I have so many other guys who can already use one.

This crit is pointless, but I don't mind. I'd rather he double to get twice as much weapon training.

Never mind, he's on thin ice. If there's one thing a cav in Shadow Dragon is, it's replicable.

Until I can buy some, I'll be trading the one Javelin I have between Abel and Frey a bunch. Not to Cain, because he can't use a Javelin.

There are some mages here to inform you that most of your units have 0 or 1 res.

Having to seize to end a map can be useful if you're a li'l turd who has gotta arena abuse, or maybe if you need a staff-user to heal some more to grind to c-rank.

This map has neither.

This guy's name is way too close to the main antagonist's.

His advice to Marth re. country invaded, family dead is to get really fucking pissed and nurse that grudge.

It's just 10 avoid.

This is your tutorial on how door keys are annoying and you should bring a thief.

"Be sure to kill them for their betrayal, Marth."
"Haha, thinking I need an excuse."

The boss is named Captain. Now that's having a career chosen for you. That C-rank is actually boosting his attack with his Javelin by 1. His speed is being dropped by 1 due to its weight. It's really annoying I have to figure that out manually.

Captain, unlike other strategists, is willing to commit war crimes and have two doors. All the cards are on his side and he'd've won if he weren't impatient.

His plan would be quite sinister if I, the player, didn't somehow see it and also see the archer's portrait.

This random Ruffian who strings him up has more personality than the main character.

This is the extent of Gordin's personality.

Haha

he thinks I care.

Cain hits speed again, which is always, always good.

Abel gets basically everything but speed, which is fine because it has strength and defense.

You'll notice I don't much acknowledge skill or luck. That's because they don't matter. The end.

I would've just in fact stuck him like a pig but that means the next event wouldn't happen.

a bunch of super-powered knights show up.

It's a weird setpiece, to force a situation like this.

Malledus suggests sending someone to die. I am okay with someone dying.

Maybe if I fed every kill up to this point to Marth and rigged every level to be HP/str/skl/spd/luck/def, then rigged a bunch of crits 'n' dodges, Marth could get 'em, but it'd be a shitton of work compared to the proposed solution.

I send Jagen because fuck him.

Captain opens the north door to get to what he thinks are the remnants.

Gordin - Archer
"I'll always be a green recruit..."
-Gordin, Fire Emblem Heroes
020/010/000/020/005/040/020/005
Reclass set - Male A
Holy piss Gordin. His base growths are sort of atrocious, only getting an okay-ish defense in exchange for everything else being in the pits. His base stats are also hilariously low. If one of our cavs reclassed to archer and Gordin to cav, he'd be a few points down all around. For some reason the game thinks his ability to attack from 2 panels away needs to be counteracted this hard, then lets us have javelins. His decent defense means he's good at being a decoy.

Only Marth can visit villages, because our thugs look shifty i guess.

Compared to Cain's speed and Abel's everything else, Frey isn't trying very hard.

Oh uh I guess Gordin died. Whatever.

The village gives us a bow for our arch...er...

Rapier's effective damage ends Captain's dream.

9 more to go. Marth's tiny skill never matters, but an extra base crit percent can't be bad, I guess. I wish he'd get strength, though. The Falchion weighs 7.

Because I had an extra casualty, the other Normal-exclusive character shows up. She has more personality than Gordin, but not enough to spare her life barring miracles.

Oh and Jagen is murdered for our ploy.

Whatever.

:twisted: DEATH TOLL :twisted:
1. Jagen - decoy prince
2. Gordin - pegasus bait
TOTAL DEAD: 2
UNITS LEFT: 6
% OF MARTHS FRIENDS WHO DIE: 25%

Fontra

Re: Forget it baby, it's (Let's Play) Shadow Dragon.

Post by Fontra (?) » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:23 pm

Jesus fucking Christ, sheep

Fontra

Post by Fontra (?) » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:27 pm

Gordin, I get killing off, but why the second-best unit in the game? Or are you intentionally trying to make the game give you more work?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:45 pm

Fontra wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:27 pm
Gordin, I get killing off, but why the second-best unit in the game? Or are you intentionally trying to make the game give you more work?
I'm making it the exact amount of work I want it to be.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:04 pm

Marth fricks off for several years until he has a good portrait.

After the timeskip, we begin the game proper with chapter 1, a realistically-drawn winged horse, and Marth's girlfriend's breasts.

Caeda - Pegasus Knight
"Isn't this romantic, Marthipan? The two of us, fighting side by side, shackled together by the wild whims of war!"
-Caeda, Not enough Fire Emblem on the forums!
010/010/005/040/060/070/000/000
Reclass set - Female
Caeda is the best unit in the game. She's ludicrously fast, regardless of class, she has enough luck it might even matter, personally has 5 speed and 2 defense at level 1, and

The strongest weapon in the multiverse.

Caeda's only possible weakness is that her small base strength and tiny growth means she takes a penalty with most lances, but since it's only -3 on a Javelin she's still way too good.

Draug - Knight
"Do I have something on my face?"
-Draug, Fire Emblem Heroes
000/005/005/020/040/030/000/000
Reclass set- Male B
Draug is our Knight, our iron wall, as evidenced by him having no defense base or growth besides what his class gives him. What he does have is the highest speed growth of any unpromoted B-set unit. That with how Knight bolsters his lower numbers and 3 speed entirely his own to start with mean he's got prospects - if he turns out.

Norne - Archer
"And... I thought that if I joined the Altean army... then maybe I'd meet you again..."
-Norne, Heroes of Light and Shadow
020/015/000/020/025/030/010/005
Reclass set - Female
Norne is better than Gordin, but that's being the least toxic waste. Norne's main advantage is being a girl who isn't Caeda or Lena before 6x. That isn't much, since it's only useful for reclassing Lena to mage early on.

Marth visits the village to get a massive sum of cash. Early Shadow Dragon gives us a fuckton of money.

I immediately buy an iron lance some Javelins with Norne. Now, this is the weird shit:

When Norne's pockets get full, they teleport to Marth's megapockets - the convoy he now has. Marth and anyone next to him can access it, which basically acts as 200 extra inventory slots for him.

At the end of turn 2 we're in a weird blob to drop off excess stuff from the prologue and pick up some Javelins, except for Cain who doesn't hand one to Frey and instead kills a guy.

The confusion on the next few turns is worth more speed.

Sea tiles give 20 extra avoid, for some reason. That's about all you can do for dodging in Shadow Dragon.

Caeda's first level grabs a strength. This is all I need. Every other level could be empty and Caeda would still be the best unit on the team. The one point means I can give her iron lances without penalty.

Norne's been weaking enemies every level. This is her one kill.

Wrys - Priest
"Would you allow me to shave your head?"
-Wrys, Heroes of Light and Shadow
000/005/010/005/000/040/005/015
Reclass set - Male A
How Wrys actually works (hint: it's awfully) is irrelevant as I am taking him to the staaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars

Off to a great start! This guy couldn't kill Wrys so who cares if he got hit! Unlike FE1 that's not 24 free EXP.

I don't know what Cain and Abel have been drinking, but I want everyone else to drink it, too.

Gazzak can't counter from a range, so I'm free to pelt him with shit until he croaks with no danger. Even then, I have 4 swordbois to chop at his inaccurate dick & balls.

Norne gets an empty level from plinking.

She will not survive.

Draug actually gets the kill off a fairly inaccurate javelin toss.

He must have noticed Norne is going to die soon and wants to live.

Caeda's dad (I presume it's surname King given name Talys) tells Marth he's beginning the story now and basic concepts like recruiting characters. Marth has nothing to add.

I like his beard.

Fontra

Post by Fontra (?) » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:19 pm

Hey don't shit on Wrys. He's great for the first few chapters before Lena

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:15 pm

Fontra wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:19 pm
Hey don't shit on Wrys. He's great for the first few chapters before Lena
Fucker I am going to make the most OP Wrys you can imagine, he'll be unstoppable.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:23 pm

me, to fontra:

Fontra

Post by Fontra (?) » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:09 pm

I CAN DO IT TOO, BINCH

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:37 pm

I for one cannot wait for Mega Wrys, Destroyer of Worlds
Image /// Image /// Image

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:05 am

Fontra wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:09 pm

I CAN DO IT TOO, BINCH

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:42 am

Marth runs across the water to the next map.

Ogma and his 3 buddies who have no dialogue except shouting Ogma's name when they die join.

Ogma - Mercenary
“Do me a favor, and leave the dangerous fighting to me and my men.”
-Ogma, Shadow Dragon
030/020/000/015/010/040/015/005
Reclass set - Male B
Ogma has some decent numbers all around and a high starting weapon rank. His speed seems ludicrous but that's mostly the Merc's base. Still, he's pretty reliable and has an absurd HP total.

Bord - Fighter
“Just remember Bord's the handsome one! Then you can't go wrong. Simple! So yeah, don't get us mixed up again."
-Bord, Heroes of Light and Shadow
010/015/000/030/000/035/010/000
Reclass set - Male B
Bord's main advantage is his high starting Axe rank. He has enough room to prove himself but not a hot enough start that you should consider him valuable. You have 3 other units this map with D-rank axes and it's not that hard to get them to the hammer, and axe queen Minerva is impending.

Cord - Fighter
"Cord [...] is shown as attracted to girls who are sexy, and coolheaded"
-Fire Emblem Wikia
000/010/010/005/030/040/010/010
Reclass set - Male B
Cord's bases say he should be decent, but Cord never turns out somehow.

Barst - Fighter
"Eh, maybe I should just go back to cuttin' down trees."
-Fire Emblem Heroes
000/000/000/025/020/040/015/005
Reclass set - Male B
Barst is the best of these 3 simply because he has meaty bases and good enough growths to keep up. Enough strength to have a Steel Axe with no penalty from the word go and the speed to make that count. Bord mathematically can't get this good in the one level he has on Barst.

Draug stands at this convenient chokepoint

Bord will chuck hand axes from behind Draug. Hand Axes are second to the Javelin in importance if only because they are less accurate, enough to make Shadow Dragon's shitty avoid actually affect combat results!

Caeda gets a generic Caeda level. Part of her insane power level is the near-assured speed every level.

Wrys's first level has the one stat that matters most in this world.

It's starting.

Partway into the map, a pirate elects to recruit himself on Marth. He is the first example of this that famously culminates with Oliver joining you against your wishes in Radiant Dawn.

Castor drops a hint who can recruit him when he attacks.

Caeda guilt-trips him and takes out an enemy hunter, as it were.

Castor - Hunter
"What did I tell Prince Marth that time I got gold from him again...?"
-Castor, Heroes of Lgiht and Shadow
000/020/005/025/015/020/015/000
Reclass set - Male B
Castor was one of the best units in FE3, with a crazy 60% strength growth, or so I've read.

I'll take their word on it, as he might just have been better as 30 exp in this game. His bases are atrocious.

Darros - Pirate
"Darros' personality is not well developed, owing to the minor role that he plays."
-Fire Emblem Wikia
010/020/000/005/000/040/030/000
Reclass set - Male B
He's actively worse than TripleAxel.

8 more to go, this Marth is blazing fast! And he can use Killing Edges and Levin Swords without penalty!

I buy a few more hand axes since, like Javelins, they are extremely useful.

I think Marth is holding a hostage.

Gomer, the boss, makes me want to meet this Shanty Pete, with his peg leg.

Also he was right, Frey didn't leave here alive.

Draug flexes his speed growth over on the chokepoint.

And Bord desperately makes a case for keeping him alive.

I let Gomer choose which archer died.

Caeda takes the kill, as even bosses with axes aren't immune to her garbage.

Speaking of her garbage, another strength!

She can chat with Ogma, and this conversation does wonders for her character. She seems so perfect and saintly in other places, it's refreshing to have her admit that she selfishly just wants her boyfriend around.

Oh uh next map has more guys with axes and a unit we can recruit by having Caeda fly up and chat.

1. Jagen - decoy prince
2. Gordin - pegasus bait
3. Frey - Down in Davy Jones's Locker
4. Castor - Lost the coin flip
TOTAL DEAD: 4
UNITS LEFT: 12
% OF MARTHS FRIENDS WHO DIE: 25%

Fontra

Post by Fontra (?) » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:38 pm

Castor is only slightly worse than Marth overall so eh him dying doesn't make me drop my jaw... like letting Jeigan die! I'm not letting that go :seethe:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:56 pm

Fontra wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:38 pm
Castor is only slightly worse than Marth overall so eh him dying doesn't make me drop my jaw... like letting Jeigan die! I'm not letting that go :seethe:
With Cain, Abel, Wrys, and soon Hardin, I have no need for lesser paladins.

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:22 am

let the bodies hit the floor
👉👉🥜🏠

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:37 am

This chapter is called "A brush in the teeth"

there's a lot of jargon about the bandits having a unique name, but it's more early-game killing axe-using bandits

We're immediately introduced to the thief with a heart of gold and the too good for this sinful earth cleric.

It's just slightly better than a heal staff, besides

you have the single most overpowered item in the game in your precious mitts

Lena - Cleric
"Why is everyone talking about conning and thievery again? [...] Am I just a step away from committing a sin?"
-Lena, BS Fire Emblem
-05/000/015/010/000/060/000/020
Reclass set - Female
Lena may not seem it, but between her pretty nice magic and res growth and C-rank staves she's already our best staff unit in the game. C means she already can use Warp and Physic and she has exclusive access to Hammerne, which we might need to repair the Devil Axe or something. She's really fast at base, too.

Julian - Thief
"I’m Julian! One of the bad guys!"
-Julian, Shadow Dragon
050/040/000/020/010/080/025/012
Reclass set - None
Julian's base growths are kind of out there, and they are. He's surprisingly robust as a combat unit. He's pretty much the only thief you'll ever need, if only because your other choice is

kind of atrocious.

Darros is at the back for some reason. This is the last map where we'll have to deal with default positioning.

I forgot to check ranges and left Caeda in range of a hunter. Were this a hard mode she'd be pasted instantly, but it's not, so I don't have to reset and redo turn 1.

Uh

ok

The Devil Axe is impossibly strong and surprisingly accurate, but it has a DARK SECRET

The enemy thieves can't even hold their iron swords without massive penalty. Julian one-rounds them.

Darros almost instantly kills the enemy fighters with the power of Satan. He has a 28% chance of hitting himself instead. This is the Devil Axe.

Caeda once again chats with an enemy. Why her? I dunno.

Navarre is lying, he'd decapitate Lena or Norne just fine. So not only is he sexist, he's bad at it.

Navarre - Myrmidon
"Nothing personnel... kid."
-Coldsteel the Hedgeheg
040/020/005/020/025/040/005/000
Reclass set - Male A
Navarre is decently fast and has enough room to turn out... or turn to shit. His greatest failing is that he is 1 strength short of that Killing Edge, making him look like a total tool trying too hard to be cool.

Barst

baby

don't do me this way

This wouldn't be a problem if you could use a Javelin, Cain. Javelins, Cain!

thank you

Abel's early hot streak ends with a wet and smelly thud, but he's still gone far enough that this can't sink him. D-rank swords, too.

The Devil Axe never backfired. I just let him die.

Hyman is the hardest boss in the game. 13 effective speed means he's doubling about everyone but Ogma, Navarre, Caeda, and unreasonably speed-blessed units like my Marth. The 33 avoid with the gate makes him way too hard to hit. His effective 7 defense means even if you do get in, it's not for a lot.

Only blessing is that 15 attack isn't excessive, and 65 hit means he is as inaccurate as your units are.

Oh, uh, Norne dies in there, somewhere.

I don't care.

Really, he's a crapshoot. You gang up on him and hope your guys hit enough that he dies or he wiffs enough he doesn't et someone on the enemy phase.

Ogma gets the kill, as one of the few guys who can reliably clown him.

Ogma, you devil! Not hitting the 90% HP but getting Strength and speed?

And for the third chapter in a row, a massive sum of money is given to us.

Next chapter has the preparation menu. The Real Shadow Dragon is about to begin.

1. Jagen - decoy prince
2. Gordin - pegasus bait
5. Darros - Trial by Devil Axe in a kangaroo court
6. Norne - empty level, no mercy
TOTAL DEAD: 6
UNITS LEFT: 13
% OF MARTHS FRIENDS WHO DIE: %31.5
Last edited by Orange Fluffy Sheep on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MetalSonic

Post by MetalSonic (?) » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:04 am

I want to see the Fire Emblem game where instead of defeating a dragon at the end you are just a lord trying to pay his taxes, killing bandits for cash. In the end you have a big mercenary company distributing juggernauts to areas and every bandit sees this one Othin/Nephenee/Seth and craps their pants.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:37 pm

I forgot the death toll in the last update. It's been added, but here it is again:

1. Jagen - decoy prince
2. Gordin - pegasus bait
TOTAL DEAD: 6
UNITS LEFT: 13
% OF MARTHS FRIENDS WHO DIE: %31.5

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:05 pm

Please stop trying so hard shadow dragon, you'll never beat "a brush in the teeth"

"Maybe we shouldn't amble in weird blobs and actually, like, plan before fighting?"

The screen fades to black then comes back to the exact same set-up to say:

Killing Norne off was a little hasty! I'm so ahead of schedule that I have fewer characters than the maximum allowed for this chapter, meaning I have a replacement!

Unil here is a generic, with no bases, no growths, no portrait, and literally no personality. The game doesn't care if she dies, and neither do I. Replacements are a weird as shit addition and you only really get mileage out of them if you view them as even more disposable than your normal troops.

Besides free redistribution of items, we can also purchase basic weapons of each type. This is the first place we can grab tomes!

There's also the forge, which, for a price easily swallowed by our massive pockets, we can upgrade weapons with extra power or hit/crit rates and less weight, or spend money to make them worse if we're weird.

I mean, if I could make 'em heavier to make 'em worse

As part of my plan to make Wrys good, I must create him a weapon to use while he's atrocious.

We also get reclassing now. Cord has the best mage stats of anyone in our party besides Lena, so we go on the ritual attempt to make Cord worth a shit that always ends with him dying.

Wrys goes into Myrmidon for the speed - doubling makes him twice as good at killing enemies. The Wrystick has -1 weight so he has no penalty even with the atrocious base here.

Draug has 1 strength and 4 speed on what Castor had. Base archers are so atrocious in this game, I don't know why.

And I get to set starting positions of my units besides Marth. The important thing is that Wrys can reach this thief from turn 1.

And my favorite part, saving the game after the prep in the menu!

Yeah whatever big guy, and your

big nose

Wrys effortlessly one-rounds the thief with Wrystick. It's got 1 might less than a Silver Sword.

Wrys gets an awful level from it, but remember that I saved before starting the battle? That means I can just reset and retry this opening move...

Until Wrys gets a bomb-diggity super level.

Behold, the process of Wrygging levels. :twisted:

Armory in the battle sells steel swords and lances. I get a few of each.

And I use the in-battle save to say thank fuck! Wrys's level stays!

Among the enemy cavs is a guy with a face and a name. Naturally he's a turncoat.

Notice how he's about the same as the generics next to him.

Naturally he's a garbage unit.

Julian, just because you're better than the other thief doesn't mean you get to lounge. I can and will kill you if you disappoint me. I can buy keys.

Trial by Devil Axe is fun and all, but more fun imo is using it as a regular combat tool and worshiping the devil.

Very few enemies have resistance stats at all, and those that do tend to have, like, two.

ACTION SHOT

Draug, just because you've gotten so much speed up to this point doesn't mean I can't replace you, too.

See? Navarre gets it!

Not strength, though, which is what he really needs.

Oh, whoops. I got too complacent when luring Matthis into range.

And I didn't even do it well enough. Lena's one tile short.

Caeda level.

Marth goes to the village and finds his bff who is in love with his sister, just sort of chillin.

Merric - Mage
"Well, I've always preferred reading books over exercising my body."
-Merric, Heroes of Light and Shadow
040/000/010/030/025/045/020/010
Reclass set - Male A
While Cord as a wizard is a novelty, Merric is the legit shit. A lot of it is in his unusually high defense and access to Excalibur. which is tied for second strongest tome, has great hit, and the highest critical hit rate of tomes. It's like a killer weapon and a silver weapon combined and were also 1-2 range and magic. And had a respectable 33 uses. Or something. Merric can coast on that and his speed/defense to an endgame slot pretty easily. 20 HP and 40% growth is a lot for a magic-focused unit in Shadow Dragon, too. Remember Lena has a negative HP growth.

He immediately oneshots an archer for funsies.

Bord, no. Bad Bord.

Just because Matthis is recruitable doesn't mean I can't ding him up a little, you know?

Merric accidentally lures one of the Horsemen in and pulls out a crit to one-shot the guy. Horsemen are promoted Hunters, which means Merric gets a huge globule of EXP.

He misses the main things I want but hits resistance, and since he's the most likely candidate for fighting Gargamel that's fine. He can survive an Imhullu hit at base but having more of a buffer always helps..

Lena is Matthis's sister, so she tells him he's full of shit and should join Marth's wacky crew.

Poor kid, he doesn't even know it's the chopping block either way.

This is his best use, IMO.

Matthis - Cavalier
"As her big brother, I must become stronger so I can protect her from all the creeps lurking out there!"
-Matthis, Heroes of Light and Shadow
050/025/000/005/010/030/015/005
Reclass set - Male A
While his HP and strength are decent, everything else sucks, his bases are bad, and he joins after Cain and Abel and Frey have had plenty of time to fuck around. If you really need another cav, a much better candidate is next chapter, anyway.

Horsemen can use swords, but this one doesn't have any. He's boxed in and unable to kill.

perfect circumstance for Wrys to chip at him. No Wrystick because chipping is more EXP and weapon rank in the long term.

Merric one-shots the boss with an Excalibur crit and gets that ridersbane that was supposed to help him.

Speed is pretty much all I care about for Merric.

4th chapter, 4th big lump of gold.

Anyway let's do some blood sport!

We wager money on the outcome of the battle between our unit and the enemy, and

I just paid someone to kill Matthis.

Oh come on can't you just have a freebie? The audience loves it when the blood spurts!

You can refuse a bet then come in again to retry a different bet. The wager is related to the stat totals of the enemy. They cheat too, going beyond class caps and having special weapons while your nerds are stuck with iron.

For the most part, this early, your units are pretty much mathematically incapable of losing but will only barely cling to life.

Won't turn your blade on a woman but killing the clergy is fine, huh?

Caeda, as part of being the best unit in the game, is stellar at gladiatorial combat. Her incredible speed lets her double basically everyone and have realistic chances of dodging. She can go multiple rounds sometimes.

Lena gets a good level out of healing our pit fighters. If I can get her to C-rank tomes, she is also great at fighting Gargamel. Good chance Gargamel won't be able to even injure her.

Caeda's blood sport triumphs nail her a point of defense. Excellent.

Wrys finishes off the horseman and gets another wrygged level.

Omga continues to impress me. I wonder how he feels about being forced back in to the life of a gladiator?

Cord never stood a chance.

Bord aches for redemption and gets another strength. I'm amused enough to let him live. Anyway, that's enough arena fighting for now.

This castle contains an old exposition man.

He also gives us a sword that Hardin can't use for Hardin to use.

Um.

1. Jagen - decoy prince
2. Gordin - pegasus bait
7. Mathis - paid for a live execution
TOTAL DEAD: 7
UNITS LEFT: 14
% OF MARTHS FRIENDS WHO DIE: %33.3333333333333333333[...]

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:45 pm

Do you think I should've let matthis try before offing him instantly, I think I killed him too fast

compared to everyone else I kill instantly, anyway

MetalSonic

Post by MetalSonic (?) » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:30 am

He doesn't have axes otherwise I would have said trial by devil axe. Otherwise, just off him.

Besides you should make axe fighters trial by Devil Axe and if they survive the chapter, they can stay. Which will most likely almost never happen, but that one bloke surviving could be a cool story

Diamondheart

Post by Diamondheart (?) » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:02 pm

No, letting Matthis live only leads to disappointment.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:04 pm

shadow dragon never dies

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:01 pm

I have no idea why coyote is Hardin's nickname.

Our second forge is a buffed to hell fire tome. Only Merric has Excalibur and for some reason I feel 33 uses are too few?

Assblasting takes on a whole new turn!!

Now that he's got some speed of his own, Wrys goes into cav for the move.

I need Unil to die and making her fly gets her closer to Heaven.

Nyna is here to be a disposed princess with no agency.

Hardin joins with four more characters, bringing us 5 more guys!!

Hardin - Cavalier
"I consider myself an exceptionally good judge of character. "
-Hardin, an exceptionally poor judge of character, Shadow Dragon
010/015/000/030/045/030/005/005
Reclass set - Male A
Hardin has a good speed on his shoulders and enough hp and strength that, with his class growths, he can almost get somewhere. His secret talent is B-rank lances, meaning he can use all of them but Gradevus already. Jagen's silver lance will find some work here. These mean he's actually worth a damn.

Also he has a swanky turban.

Sedgar - Horseman
"Swords... Good. Bows... Good."
-Sedgar, Heroes of Light and Shadow
120/060/005/080/060/030/080/000
Reclass set - Male B
No, those aren't typoes. Sedgar may start as a crappy pre-promote but he has incredible growths. He'll do incredibly at every job but Sorcerer once they get rolling. Whaddaya know, he's got access to General to sit on 17 defense.

Wolf - Horseman
"WOLF REPORTING FOR MOTHERFUCKING DUTY [...] THE WOLF MAN'S JAWS AWAIT"
-Wolf, Avalon Code: A Guide to Wasting Awesome Ideas
120/080/005/070/060/050/060/000
Reclass set - Male B
Sedgar is very similar, except he's going to get strength always and defense frequently, where Sedgar is the other way around. He also looks like a teen idol and is named wolf.

Vyland - Cavalier
"Well, my original plan was to die for Coyote."
-Vyland, Heroes of Light and Shadow
020/015/000/000/030/030/000/005
Reclass set - Male A
Vyland is another cavalier with awful bases and not nearly as good growths as the starting ones.

Roshea - Cavalier
""No, Wolf. Don't do that." War cry of Akaneia. "Own fault." Epitaph."
-Roshea, Avalon Code: A Guide to Wasting Awesome Ideas
050/025/000/030/000/010/005/005
Reclass set - Male A
Roshea is even worse than Matthis, who is bad.

They start near some archers. This is convenient for killing them.

Vyland's main use is to give Hardin a lance for his B-rank. He doesn't have one of his own for some reason.

Wendell - Sage
"There's nothing sadder than fighting your former comrades. I have no love for conflict."
-Wendell, Heroes of Light and Shadow
020/000/000/000/000/040/005/015
Reclass set - Male A
Wendell's bases are awful and his growths are atrocious, but he's a fast and has good weapon ranks so he's honestly one of the best units in the game.

But he's no fun compared to the unpromoted mages so I don't like him.

Wrys effortlessly outclasses Macedon's cavs.

Meanwhile, Unil blocks cavs pretty well.

Until she dies, but no one cares. Game doesn't even play the boo hoo dead unit music.

Sedgar adamantly refuses to die and takes out the three archers near his position.

Wrys is becoming a mobile fortress. I likey.

same

Merric can talk to Wendell to recruit him, since he used to be his student.

Wendell has been ousted by Gargamel. No explanation as to how Wendell fell in with the Macedonian forces and is aiding them in combat, including attempting to kill Merric if given half of a chance.

Sweet! A single point of magic!

Though the archers failed, an enemy peg knight gets Sedgar for me.

Roshea similarly falls to knights.

No one can use this at the moment. I wish someone could use this at the moment.

Hardin busts out the silver lance he can use, as opposed to the silver sword he can't.

Barrier is ostensibly for fighting enemy mages. It's really for leveling without needing to heal someone.

Barst

you're breaking my heart

Oh there's a boss, he's a guy with no ranged weapon.

He offs Vyland too! Of the six characters that join this chapter, three are already dead. Wolf gets to stay so I can play with one of these super pre-promotes.

That's okay, but

strength, navarre

Marth and Wendell can talk. Marth can recruit him, and he basically tells him these things. Wendell can talk to Merric and they have the same conversation as above, basically.

It's very basic.

There's an in-game savepoint, just in case

Barst doubles himself with the Devil Axe.

DAmn.

Merric instead shaves off most of the boss with a quick excalibur.

Barst gets him on the second attempt, and we get another silver lance.

Well, 95% of it, since Vyland stained it.

Hardin's brother, who may be Caeda's uncle as his surname is also King, tells us some guys are lingering in the castle and we're gonna do classic siege strategy:

Break in and slaughter the inhabitants until we can sit on the throne, a symbolic gesture that demoralizes the enemy into instant surrender.

MetalSonic

Post by MetalSonic (?) » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:19 pm

Goddamn, you broke trial by devil axe. The axe has spoken and demands barsts blood

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:03 pm

I have 17 units total, and I need to shed a net two before the end of the chapter. The first side-map that requires a minimum headcount is after this.

Part of Wolf (and Sedgar's) power is that they're in male B and can hop into general for some immediate use. The low speed and immediate access to javelins makes them really good at picking up some EXP on counters to make up for being promoted, and the crazy defense lets them do this for dozens upon dozens of men at once.

If they were in Male A, they'd have Dracoknight and be even more powerful.

Today's forge is Javier, a Javelin made to be even better than usual, which is saying something.

We're given 14 characters, when this map could easily be done with

I have a lot of warp charges so I just toss Wolf into the wold blue yonder.

Magic is Lena's most important stat. Any magic level is good.

As a thief, Julian can open doors.

Thieves are worth a lot of EXP, and for once there are treasures that we need to beat them to!

Wait, this one was a recruitable character.

Rickard - Thief
"Funny story: I decided to break in here and clean the place out- and then I got caught. Hilarious, right? Comedy gold."
-Rickard, Shadow Dragon
020/040/000/000/010/040/005/012
Reclass set - None
Oh, wait, he has the same str, mag, and res as Julian and is worse in every other stat, and his bases are worse.

This wouldn't be so bad if you somehow got Julian killed, but the only person who can recruit him is Julian.

Since he's a thief he is most assuredly better off as exp.

...I kind of regret killing him, but not enough to actually not kill him, you know what I mean?

Wolf, on the other side of the map, because Warp can do that. He waits on the chest so no one can steal it. This causes the thieves to run to the next chest, to us.

He'll be fine.

Cord takes advantage of one tile-thick walls.

Thank you, Barst, this vindicates my belief in you.

Wrys and Abel form an arrow-proof wall so Caeda can murder the clergy.

I overreact to this mage, Wolf would still win handily with a regular Javelin in retrospect, but someone was dealing damage to my perfect wall!?!?!?

Can't forget Marth's here. He last gained a level back in chapter 2, and for once he isn't busy running from village to village. While I can get him a ton of levels later just on a forged rapier and eventually the Falchion itself, he needs to be good enough to even get in there.

Caeda is still the best.

Nice crit, Abel, it was just completely pointless.

That silver lance guy had a Master Key, which makes anyone a thief five times.

Did I say "take advantage of"? I meant "get killed through".

If an enemy thief gets something, it's not totally lost. You just have to kill 'em.

Wolf gets a bad level from his solo adventure.

Yes, this is a bad Wolf level. He somehow missed 90% defense and 80% for a second hit point.

Bullions exist to be sold for cash. Why chests don't hold cash directly is beyond me.

Abel gets speed, which I always like.

Hardin heard that and decided he'd get some speed too.

Cain rides in to rescue Wolf.

Scratch that, he rides in so Wolf doesn't do everything himself.

He missed. His early levels were incredible and he's still slam-jammin', but the other two are catching up - and may overtake him.

Physic is a cool staff. It heals as much as Heal but it has range.

Infinite range in Shadow Dragon, for some reason.

Caeda level. She can be promoted at level 10 fairly safely since she'll most definitely have capped speed by then. All that you'd be leveling to 20 for are her tiny strength and defense growths, and the promotion bonuses usually handle all that she'll need.

You can throw shit just straight though walls, no one fucking cares.

One stat that matters!

7 speed to go. Strength to use Falchion without penalty JFC calm down Marthipan.

A stat booster! These increase stats permanently.

Caeda immediately takes the robe. Jumping from 18 to 25 HP is a big deal for her. It's a massive increase in her ability to operate independently.

This cleric undid all the hard work Cord did, making his death meaningless, and he keeps healing!

Bord has one asset, but it's a doozy.

Boss has no ranged weapon so I'm going to get Barst to C axes.

I just want to.

He's the first promoted boss, meaning he gives even more EXP than normal.

Oh, uh, rip, magic pope.

This is good enough to make up for his previous level.

Generals are armor units. Caeda deletes the boss.

Excellent. This lets her use Javelins without penalty, and she'll have more than enough for every axe in the game after promotion.

Like, seriously, this is far and away the best Caeda I've ever seen. She's the terror of the skies.

Only. Stat. That matters.

Nyna is the deposed princess of Archenea and exists for men to cause tragedies around her and with her and about her.

Nyna bequeaths the Game's Title to Marth, and in doing so activates some ancient curse that causes her to never be with the man she loves.

In gameplay terms, it makes Marth half of a thief and can open any chest. It also takes up one of his 5 active inventory slots, but since he's always next to himself he has the Convoy and doesn't feel it.

In every Fire Emblem the Fire Emblem is something in the game. For this, its sequel, and Awakening, it's this shield. For 4 and 5, it's the crest of Velthomer, for example.

So someone fucking tell me what it is in Echoes or I'll flip my shit!

This was the acknowledgement I had in fact killed enough people, and what a relief it was to know I didn't have to work a 4rd dead body into my plan.

1. Jagen - decoy prince
2. Gordin - pegasus bait
7. Matthis - paid execution on live television
8. Sedgar - Nngh!
9. Roshea - Unnh!
10. Vyland - Rrgh!
11. Rickard - Better off as EXP
12. Cord - also Rrgh!
13. Wendel - killed by the boss when I realized he was still there
TOTAL DEAD: 13
UNITS LEFT: 15/28
% OF MARTHS FRIENDS WHO DIE: 46.4%

Logicgate

Post by Logicgate (?) » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:23 pm

perhaps the real fire emblem is the friends we slayed along the way

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:15 am

I don't know why this doesn't happen if Marth's crew is 16 or more. Maybe the poor saps can't get through the clouds of useless lackeys like Vyland? Maybe with a clown like Darros around, Marth doesn't care about kidnapped children?

Anyway, 6x is a throwback chapter to the start of the game when we killed bandits. It's also a throwback in that the enemies are pitiful.

You know, not that they were trying before.

Lena has Mage in her reclass set, and some extra tome experience early helps. It also has a marginally higher magic growth than cleric, but it never fucking helps, we're insane weirdoes who want to be saved by magic beans.

Merric takes over staff duties. Sage uses both tomes and staves, so dedicated magic-havers could do with some bouncing around to get good at both.

In a nearby village, a weirdo with a unique portrait and name and an extreme gimmick talks.

The side chapters are all about grabbing new weirdoes.

Julian flexes that whole decent combatant thing.

Ogma and Bord have traded jobs for a bit. Hero uses both axes and swords, so, you know.

Draug continues to want to live off of his major asset.

Julian doesn't realize it's more valuable for that guy.

Granted, I like Athena because she dunks Marth really hard.

Athena - Myrmidon
"This Order of Heroes... Why not they just take bath, if smell?"
-Athena, Fire Emblem Heroes
025/015/005/020/025/025/005/000
Reclass set - Female
Athena starts at a high level, has ok growths, good starting stats, and a C rank. Maybe a consolation prize if you suck so much almost half of your army has died up to this point, as though we wouldn't do this on purpose for comedy?

Bord still harps on his one asset.

Armorslayers don't do a good job against the Wolfman. Almost like being a living piece of trash means effective weaponry isn't very effective.

Merric gets the green number where I want it the most. Staves don't taper off exp very fast, so this is also a good way to level someone a bit.

Julian starts with E-rank swords, but since he doubles a lot it ranks up well enough.

Just because you traded jobs with Bord doesn't mean you should copy his weird-ass levels, too!

Or should I be glad for the +1 str?

Lena accidentally crits the boss off of her 4%.

Should've used Fire.

Marth takes one of the kids as a tithe and we move on and never mention this again, except Athena's hanging around now.

Vivianinatoga
Semper Pie

Post by Vivianinatoga (?) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:35 pm

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that's why Athena's portrait is crosseyed in FE Heroes, to overcompensate for her wall-eyed sprite in this game!
ImageImageImage

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:32 pm

Davyinatoga wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:35 pm
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that's why Athena's portrait is crosseyed in FE Heroes, to overcompensate for her wall-eyed sprite in this game!
her eyes aren't nearly as huge in this game, sadly.