If Tapatalk was available, would you use it?

There are too many subforums. Please eliminate three.

Would you use Tapatalk?

Yes
10%
No
90%

Total votes: 21
Big Boss
A tourist trap that can surpass Mystery Shack?
Rarity's Roughnecks

If Tapatalk was available, would you use it?

Post by Big Boss (?) » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:01 pm

Due to our helpful Patreon users, we have a surplus in funds for running the forums. This means we can have some features that we didn't have before, like Linode backups to prevent the forum from being wiped.

A new thing we can do is the Tapatalk extension. Tapatalk is an app that you can use on your phone to browse forums. Even though we have responsive mobile theme support now, Tapatalk on your phone would use less data and also give you things like push notifications for every shitpost in PPPP. They have a no-cost version, but it uses ads and frankly I don't want to subject people to ads. The ad-free premium version is only $5/month, which is well within our Patreon budget. However, I won't sign us up for it if people have no interest in using Tapatalk on their phones. Since people requested better mobile support in the past, we're looking at this as a method to help mobile users.

I humbly request that you air your opinion on whether or not you would use Tapatalk if it was available.

When implemented, any user would be able to use Tapatalk, and you would get ad-free mobile posting.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Re: If Tapatalk was available, would you use it?

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:14 pm

Personally, I wouldn't. I generally don't care to install apps unless they add some major functionality that otherwise can't feasibly be done in a browser. Tapatalk looks like it mostly exists to make the forums pretty and shiny and easily accessible for people who prefer a really polished mobile interface (like using the Awful app for browsing SA, I figure), but that's not enough to make me want to bother installing it when Safari works just fine for my needs.

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:38 pm

I'm completely fine with browsing on my phone as is.

Is there a commitment to using it? Maybe get it for a month to try out.

Didn't vote because I feel like I'm right down the middle in an "i don't know" camp.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:00 pm

I wouldn't get an extra app for browsing when my phone works just fine as is. Backups would definitely be a good thing to spend money on. If you still have a bunch of money left over, you could always run raffles or contests or something similar.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:22 am

Nah. In my opinion it seems to be a waste of money to put it on Tapatalk.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:12 am

I absolutely hate it when I'm on mobile, search for something, find a forum, and
:sweetielarm: YOU COULD HAVE A BETTER EXPERIENCE IF YOU VIEWED THIS PAGE THROUGH TAPATALK :sweetielarm:

If that's when just trying to view one thing, I would hate that even more on a forum I actually used. :pinkieshrug:

PhoolCat
EE
HECKING
YUP

Post by PhoolCat (?) » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:58 am

If it added speed and extra features on mobile, then maybe.
If it took three days to switch to like twitter, imgur, etc. then no way!
Image Image Image Image

Big Boss
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:08 pm

People had requested better mobile options in the past so I'm doing my due diligence by running the poll before taking action.
Venusy wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:12 am
I absolutely hate it when I'm on mobile, search for something, find a forum, and
:sweetielarm: YOU COULD HAVE A BETTER EXPERIENCE IF YOU VIEWED THIS PAGE THROUGH TAPATALK :sweetielarm:

If that's when just trying to view one thing, I would hate that even more on a forum I actually used. :pinkieshrug:
If I were to install the extension, I would disable that message, for it annoys me too.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:57 am

In that case, wouldn't use it, but no theoretical objection to other people using it providing that doesn't affect other aspects of browsing on mobile web (e.g. how much additional data would be transferred, how much additional JS would be run). TRS isn't exactly the most complex site, and I do not feel an app could handle it better than mobile web.

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:10 pm

Maybe, but probably not.
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:39 pm

My phone is so poor it likely wouldn't have enough room to hold a new app.
ImageImageImageImage

Bigdog
implied

Post by Bigdog (?) » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:25 pm

So to be clear, the $5/mo is for the forum to have the no-ads version? It's always free for the end user?

If that is the case, and you spring for the no-ads, I might at least try it out. I can't say anything more definite than that :v:

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:51 pm

Here's a thought: For people who really, truly need an even more light-weight version of the forum for when they're on the go, maybe add an option in the control panel to disable avatars and signatures and make all images tap-to-load when viewing on a phone (as detected by the user agent data or something). Is that a thing that PHPBB lets you do?
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:07 pm

Vanilla phpBB already lets you disable avatars, signatures, and embedded images. However, it's done on a per-account basis, not per-device. A "per-device" function (really, just a set of CSS rules based on the horizontal width of the screen) could possibly be hacked in, but that'd require us to either find or make the functionality for users to inject their own custom CSS into their individual views of the forums.

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:10 pm

No, boss. Sorry, boss. :(
ImageImageImage

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:24 pm

It would have to be server-side to get the bandwidth benefits, since hiding images with CSS doesn't stop them from loading.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Big Boss
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:05 am

Bigdog wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:25 pm
So to be clear, the $5/mo is for the forum to have the no-ads version? It's always free for the end user?

If that is the case, and you spring for the no-ads, I might at least try it out. I can't say anything more definite than that :v:
Yes, the $5/month that would come out of Patreon change is for everyone to have an ad-free experience in the app at no cost to the user.

The reaction is pretty negative so I'm probably not going to do it, but again, there were requests for more mobile options in the past, so I was just seeing if people still wanted it.