Metal plays Thracia 776, the rant thread

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

MetalSonic

Metal plays Thracia 776, the rant thread

Post by MetalSonic (?) » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:19 pm

I just beat FE 7 (hard mode) and now I am wondering which game I should play next

Thracia 776? (the bullshit one)
Shadow Dragon, followed by New Mystery (the DS games)

another go at the Gamecube and Wii games?

Finally finish fates:revelations?

also fart for more shitpostiness

EDIT: I'm playing Thracia now (the bullshit one)
Last edited by MetalSonic on Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Re: Which Fire Emblem should I play next

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:36 pm

the bullshit one

sharkmafia

Post by sharkmafia (?) » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:23 pm

Have you played echoes? If not, that one

the gamecube and wii games are also good

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:24 am

I thought you already played the Ike games, you fanboy

Play Thracia 776, you know you want to
Image /// Image /// Image

Jill
it's the super maria sisters super show!!!
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:43 am

the series begins and ends with FE7 so your work here is done

Fontra
forums shittiest ponisters

Post by Fontra (?) » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:52 am

Thracia 776 is great you heathen. PLAY IT AND BERSERK STAFF REINHARDT

Fontra

Post by Fontra (?) » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:57 am

Also I'll link you to why Thracia 776 is great since, while I have many praises for it, I'm not as eloquent a writer for it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/com ... hracia_and

MetalSonic

Post by MetalSonic (?) » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:12 am

Why would you link to me a text with tons of unmarked spoilers you dingus. :v:

MetalSonic

Post by MetalSonic (?) » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:34 am

Safy just cast heal twice. Both casts missed.

Goddamnit, Thracia. :-I

MetalSonic

Post by MetalSonic (?) » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:44 am

Goddamnit, this heal staff has worse hit-chances than your average pubbie Widowmaker

MetalSonic

Re: Metal plays Thracia 776, the rant thread

Post by MetalSonic (?) » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:47 am

Also I don't have enough inventory space for all this crap I'm stealing from my captured enemies

MetalSonic

Post by MetalSonic (?) » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:50 pm

I just found out the "nice" little surprise at the end of chapter 4. And no, I didn't let Leif escape first (doing so basically makes the game unwinnable, because fuck you)

I am speaking about this ambush, behind an unlockable door that you have to unlock with a frail little thief:

Everyone of these units MIGHT kill your thief if you don't rescue him away.
They theoretcially have godawful hit percentages, but this is Thracia, where you can easily miss 99% hits and the enemies can actually hit these 5% hit chances.

MetalSonic

Post by MetalSonic (?) » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:59 pm

And with this nice little ambush behind fog of war ends my time with this game for today:

That grey unit is mine.

They gave my armor unit that torch JUST so that I would get cocky and use his defenses to lift the darkness. So Intelligent Systems said "let's put in 4 mages that obliterate that armor unit when he uses the torch".

Fontra

Post by Fontra (?) » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:45 am

Have Karin and Asvel lure the mages to your group and kick the shit out of them. Armors won't go after you unless they go in your range.

MetalSonic

Post by MetalSonic (?) » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:30 pm

Hey Thracia, what's with all the empty levels? Seriously, I'd like some stats for once please and thank you.

MetalSonic

Post by MetalSonic (?) » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:31 pm

Also the mages don't get lured in unless you also pull the armors.

MetalSonic

Post by MetalSonic (?) » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:08 pm

But yeah it's all about the small joys of playing Thracia. Like Leif getting a decent level up or Machua leveling STR.

MetalSonic

Post by MetalSonic (?) » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:30 pm

Also Asvel with his Grafcalibur spell is completely ridicoulous ... at least as a nuker.

I think there's a mechanic which lets anyone double hit him on melee or something.

MetalSonic

Post by MetalSonic (?) » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:32 pm

Considering Thracia's mentality of letting the player know core mechanics is either "check the internet" or "get killed by that mechanic, have fun resetting" I'm actually not entirely sure

MetalSonic

Post by MetalSonic (?) » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:35 pm

Also, I'm almost out of swords cause I didn't capture farm the wave of myrms last chapter. I swear if I have to go back because of that...

MetalSonic

Post by MetalSonic (?) » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:52 pm

Holy shit Mareeta's movement pattern on her first reveal in the game is heart shaped. On the chapter where her love for her mum defeats the ~~evil magic sword~~s power. Yeah, a bit cliche, but you can see that there was a lot of love put into this game.

Too bad they also very lovingly crafted all the noobtraps and bullshit mechanics.

Fontra

Post by Fontra (?) » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:23 am

Kaga may be our lord and savior in terms of actual writing, but he's never been big on good game design. See: FE12 being infinitely better mechanically than FE3 :-I

Of his games, I'd say this one is still the most solid mechanically as long as you know what you're getting into.

Fontra

Post by Fontra (?) » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:24 am

On the other hand, FE12 did give us fucking Kris aka proto-Robin/Corrin

Fontra

Post by Fontra (?) » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:41 am

Metal what chapter are you on btw?

Fontra

Post by Fontra (?) » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:41 am

Gimme screenies

MetalSonic

Post by MetalSonic (?) » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:36 pm

Holy shit weapons are prohibitively expensive! An Iron Lance costs 2200G, which is like selling 6 other weapons for it!

MetalSonic

Post by MetalSonic (?) » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:46 pm

So for these levels I actually decided to take some screenshots for Fontra. Not LP-level stuff but to realize how I've been playing this.

Pictured: Shozo Kaga style bullshittery. You see that Chest waay out there in the corner? With no visible door or anything leading to it? Well...
Look a screen further. Here's the way you gotta go with a thief. Also, there is no enemy or anything on the way there (except in the main fighting area obviously), so it's basically just placed there to waste your time.
Eyvel got petrified cause of story :( . I actually made a savestate before opening the door and checked if I could somehow prevent this, but nope, she's been Aeris/th'd. Plot said there's a staff to revive her, so maybe we'll come back here eventually?
I can't remember her being in FE4's second part though, so I'm not sure.

This is from the next Level. You're supposed to escape from the castle, but the houses there give some valuable loot if you saved the children in the castle 2 chapters prior.
The flair of the chapter is actually pretty cool, it really feels like you're trying to escape from a city while the enemy tries to catch you and a fight ensues.
The boss of the chapter and 2 bishops. I really wanted to get their stuff, but yeah after a few turns there's a big problem...
This is the boss. Not too shabby, but theoretically capturable. Also his inventory sucks, so it should not be too bad if I skip killing/capturing him.
Pop Quiz: does Asvel hit this 92% shot? Spoilers: no. Of course not.
After some turns some horsie reinforcements arrive. Also the first horse riders I have as an enemy and... I can't capture them. Nooo, how am I supposed to steal their shit now.
Another one of these "will it hit" screenshots. Yeah of course not. I mean what is 99% even.
Dude got random critted and survived. Nice. Otherwise he's kinda eh, with his 2 speed and 3 skill he's hitting pretty much nothing. Too bad he's one of your few people who can capture people due to his high build, making an already risky capture even more risky.
Will it hit? Flier tries two times, does not hit. Enemy hits of course. Thanks Thracia!
I survived! In the end some dude with a Master sword came out and chased me down. He almost got me, cause I was a bit slow. Oh well, next level. Still no Battle preparations screen and my inventories are full to the brim.
Basically, you've got two ways where you could go this chapter, the right way over the plains or the left over the mountains.
Left, you've got a bunch of axebros waiting for you. Which is cool, cause I need some more axes.
Right you have a bunch of myrmidons. and among them...
A recruitable! Too bad he has to be talked to by Safy who is on the other side of the map with Finn all alone.
Also nice: this myrm with a Silver Sword. (that I didn't get because I accidentially released him instead of picking trade *sob*)
Left side stuff is also cool, especially this hammer seems nice.
And a Poison Axe! Did you know status ailments in this game last forever? I found out the hard way. But there's probably some way to abuse that axe on some bosses.
And there's the two loners on completely the wrong side of the map, one of them has to talk to the myrm to recurit him.
Pictured: the Shiva-baiting tactic. Lana gets captured by Shiva, halving all of his stats. Afterwards he can bash into my high-def axe rider until his sword busts or until I get Safy next to him.
After 2 turns enemy reinforcements from Manster, the castle from which you just escaped, arrives. Leader of the reinforcements is Eisenhauer. I guess someone REALLY does like Ike on the old FE team!

Also he's on a horse, so not capturable.
And after a few turns these fuckers arrive. Bishops with long-range meteor tomes. As if the cavalry isn't shitty enough. I almost had to reset here cause they targetted Lara, which they are able to one-shot.

Another one of the bullshit RNG tosses. I miss twice with 87, enemy hits with 20.
And now the left path, which I clear by using Shiva, who I gave Paragon and my scrolls to level and...
By stealing the weapons and all their stuff off the bandits with lifis, who is on a mountain and thus near-unhittable. Theoretically.

I mean this is Thracia we're talking about.

Everything works out thoug, except that I have to shuffle a bit cause everyone's inventory is full to the brim.
Some inventory management and quite a few turns just running down later, all my people escape and I'm greeted by this screen.

It's battle preparations... Finally! I can organize my full-to-the-brim inventory!
But here's where I stopped for now.

Fontra

Post by Fontra (?) » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:37 am

Chapter 8 is easy as hell. Just have any of your low-level units grind with the brigands. Also bring Orsin and Halvan since there's a recruitable character they can grab (or you can capture the guy.)

Fontra

Post by Fontra (?) » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:42 am

Keep Fatigue in mind too. This is right about the part your more used units will be hating life.

Fontra

Post by Fontra (?) » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:31 am

Btw thanks for screenies

MetalSonic

Post by MetalSonic (?) » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:58 pm

Goddamnit, the Wyvern in Chapter 9 are a pain in the ass, but I don't want to deploy Asvel, who would just kill these fuckers easily. I mean I don't have him every chapter and I deffo need another nuker at one point.

MetalSonic

Post by MetalSonic (?) » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:59 pm

Well, I have sinned, cause fuck you Thracia. Used scrolls and just arena abused a character to 20/1. I did eventually finish the boss (and therefore the chapter) thanks to a lucky Othin crit.

MetalSonic

Post by MetalSonic (?) » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:57 pm

Holy shit what were they thinking with that slow ass ballistae map. Good thing I got some hammers to kill these armors quickly.

Also I let the villages die, but seriously, running into the ballistae like the game wants me to to save the villages would be suicide. Especially with that wyvern boss crawling around.

MetalSonic

Post by MetalSonic (?) » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:59 pm

Oh great one of the villages has the rescue staff, so I gotta redo the chapter. Great.

MetalSonic

Post by MetalSonic (?) » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:11 pm

I'll let you know I'm playing more thracia, but screenshotting all the time is kinda annoying so I'm just commenting on the chapters I've played.

I finished 11x Murder Hollace and now have Olwen on my team. Oh and Fred as well. Also fuck that chapter with all its archers and the small hallway. I can't wait to get to Kempf to make him pay for all this bullshit! One kid died to randomly walking into a meteor shower. I hope that doesn't hinder me in any way later on.

Chapter 12: I accidentially let the Viallges get destroyed. Oops. But I captured the enemy Dark Mage and he joins! A playable Lopto Priest? In my Fire emblem? And he's not fucked up like Tharja? I'll take him. Also Mareeta is back with a good sword.

Chapter 12x: Thank god I had Staves on A and saw in the script translation that Lara can talk to Pahn, which subsequently joins. Also I have a dancer now, finally. Also lol at lara getting slower and less skillful when promoting. Also the chests had good shit.

Hey Fontra, should I give Duel to my Uber-Carrion?

MetalSonic

Post by MetalSonic (?) » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:02 pm

The enemy general's name is Paulus. Whoever wrote the characters really loved WW2 and decided to name characters after generals appearantly.

MetalSonic

Post by MetalSonic (?) » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:35 pm

My Selphina got doubled and killed by a ballista. A ballista with 0 speed. Which means it's impossible to double.

Is there something you don't tell me Thracia?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Dropping tears does not always mean the sadness.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:04 pm

MetalSonic wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:35 pm
My Selphina got doubled and killed by a ballista. A ballista with 0 speed. Which means it's impossible to double.

Is there something you don't tell me Thracia?

Charge and ballista do not mix, you've noticed.
:snoop: Image :snoop:

MetalSonic

Post by MetalSonic (?) » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:25 pm

Map of Chapter 14:

Well then, chapter 14 finally beat, with the bard recruited on turn 9 cause I thought the house where he is in is that on the bottom right.

I stole the master lance with tina, a thief staff and a holy water from the boss, but forgot to steal the master axe (but that one wasn't so bad, I still have like 20 uses on my brave axe). Couldn't get anything from the lord's camp because I was too afraid of that Iron Ballista.

But holy fuck, this chapter was nuts. It really felt like a losing siege with all the reinforcements. The ballistae at the beginning I killed using Warp and Carrion (I arena abused Carrion to 20/1 with scrolls cause fuck you thracia) as well as my tank Brighton with his 15 def (I gave him the DEF ring to get a good tank) armed with the brave axe. Armors with bows, lances and axes spawn from every side, rendering your newly acquired fliers nearly useless, cause they get almost instakilled. Carrion held one side, Brighton the other in that front. Leif, Nanna, Shiva (Nanna and Shiva both got a Knight Proof) held the bottom gates. And when the always spawning armors stop for one round, the fuckers from Southern Thracia show up with their wyverns, one of them holding a ridersbane. And Wyverns can fly over the walls, your quasi only defense advantage in this chapter.

And when you think that wasn't enough, an armada of Lopto druids show up. And would usually kill your squad, but since nanna still had her nosferatu sword and the low def priests kept attacking her at 1 range, they fell one after another. And gave her like 7 level ups in the meantime. That was a slaughter.

Lopto killer #1, fuck Julia this is our new god

Also the enemy general is called Paulus, being the 2nd general from WW2 being an enemy in this game

MetalSonic

Post by MetalSonic (?) » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:12 pm

Chapter 14x, the great capturing

As in you're on a mountain path, escaping yet again and the enemy brings in tons and tons of pegasus riders and druids with rewarp staffs. Staffs get yoinked from enemies, pegasi slaughtered as they try to capture civilains and the bosses get killed. No ballistas on this map, yay.

It's a good map to level your fliers like eda and deen.