Everyone in Hollywood is a sex offender

Old Mare Yells At Cloud. (News, Events, Philosophy)
RudeCyrus
nightmare eyes
Rainbow Racers
Patreon supporter

Everyone in Hollywood is a sex offender

Post by RudeCyrus (?) » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:58 pm

No, really. Besides the current fallout with Harvey Weinstein, we've got Brett Ratner being accused by six women of harassment, Bill Cosby, Woody Allen, Kevin Spacey (who deflected the accusation by coming out as gay), and now Dustin Hoffman has been accused of assaulting a woman when she was 17. Plus there are a bunch more I've forgotten.

And let's not hold any illusions about things changing or these criminals receiving a proper punishment. They'll serve a few years (at best), and walk away while the system continues to exploit women. Sickening.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Re: Everyone in Hollywood is a sex offender

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:01 pm

The scandal even reached one of the former FiM writers as well. Really shows how prevalent it is.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:45 pm

Mr. Big wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:01 pm
The scandal even reached one of the former FiM writers as well. Really shows how prevalent it is.
You mean Chris Savino? It's okay to use names. In fact, I'd encourage it, because #MeToo is all about giving more visibility to these issues rather than cushioning them.
Image /// Image /// Image

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:57 pm

Yeah, Savino. I wasn't trying to cover up his name (everybody knows at this point, so I didn't think it was needed), but I'll remember that next time.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:15 pm

Nah, I understand. It's just an overall problem that people are hesitant to name things for what they are, because it's considered uncouth or too agressive or accusatory or what have you. I'm glad that #MeToo is trying to change that a bit, because the idea that we can't talk about these things somehow is part of the problem.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:36 am

People with power tend to abuse that power. I lived in LA for 5 years and the level of celebrity worship there is absurd. It's like they can do no wrong, so people let them get away with it.
ImageImageImageImageImage

theGECK
People don't "become an adult", they just get too old to be called a kid
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by theGECK (?) » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:57 am

Mr. Big wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:57 pm
Yeah, Savino. I wasn't trying to cover up his name (everybody knows at this point, so I didn't think it was needed), but I'll remember that next time.
As an example, I didn't know about this. As somebody who doesn't really do social media, I'm not seeing a lot of the #metoo stuff, but hearing people talking about it IRL or in communities/news after the fact is how I'm learning about all of these things.

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:30 am

I heard that some really...out there lady accused Neil DeGrase Tyson of this recently, though she's the only one and her background is dubious at best.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:20 am

There is always the risk that someone might want to benefit off of an ongoing controversy, of course. But it's still good to not judge one way or the other until we know more. It's the shitty situation of "when is a claim too dubious", because a lot of the time legitimate concerns get dismissed as dubious too, but at the same time nobody should just be randomly vilified. I'm not passing judgement when I can until it's more clear what's going on, personally. Listening to people's claims comes first, and then we go from there.

Fontra
forums shittiest ponisters

Post by Fontra (?) » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:42 pm

Usually it's better to wait for more details than to jump at someone either way yeah.

There are shitty people who do indeed do falsely accuse, but it's rare because such false accusations really do have serious consequences

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:54 pm

Major part of why harassment claims rarely got released is because of non-disclosure clause that would penalize whistle-blowers with steep fines.

Well, senators in New York are introducing a bill that would nullify such clause https://www.lexology.com/library/detail ... f17f0c7387

PhoolCat
EE
HECKING
YUP

Post by PhoolCat (?) » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:41 am

Interesting (depressing) article in the Mary Sue about Why Now?
Image Image Image Image

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:25 am

The article is largely spot on, I think. Mark Evanier wrote on his blog that if Weinstein only harassed low-ranking women and left the A-list actresses alone, he probably would've gotten away with this forever.

One can look at Trump. Even when it became common knowledge that he sexually assaulted women (including a video of him bragging about it), millions of people voted for him anyway. None of the women he assaulted were famous.

stuff
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by stuff (?) » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:04 pm

Now Louis C.K.

"...he was also asking female comics and co-workers to watch him masturbate."

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:27 pm

A huge column on Buzzfeed about Eddie Berganza, a DC editor with a history of sexual harassment. This has been out in public for years (Bleeding Cool reported it in 2012), but it didn't affect his job whatsoever, even when another high-profile editor got laid off for unrelated reasons.

Factory Factory
nice box
Semper Pie

Post by Factory Factory (?) » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:55 pm

There is no guarantee that the wizard selling you that bag full of magic sand is wearing pants underneath his robes.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:12 am

stuff wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:04 pm
Now Louis C.K.

"...he was also asking female comics and co-workers to watch him masturbate."
He released an official statement where he owned up to it:
Louis CK wrote:I want to address the stories told to The New York Times by five women named Abby, Rebecca, Dana, Julia who felt able to name themselves and one who did not.

These stories are true. At the time, I said to myself that what I did was okay because I never showed a woman my dick without asking first, which is also true. But what I learned later in life, too late, is that when you have power over another person, asking them to look at your dick isn’t a question. It’s a predicament for them. The power I had over these women is that they admired me. And I wielded that power irresponsibly. I have been remorseful of my actions. And I’ve tried to learn from them. And run from them. Now I’m aware of the extent of the impact of my actions. I learned yesterday the extent to which I left these women who admired me feeling badly about themselves and cautious around other men who would never have put them in that position.

I also took advantage of the fact that I was widely admired in my and their community, which disabled them from sharing their story and brought hardship to them when they tried because people who look up to me didn’t want to hear it. I didn’t think that I was doing any of that because my position allowed me not to think about it. There is nothing about this that I forgive myself for. And I have to reconcile it with who I am. Which is nothing compared to the task I left them with.

I wish I had reacted to their admiration of me by being a good example to them as a man and given them some guidance as a comedian, including because I admired their work.

The hardest regret to live with is what you’ve done to hurt someone else. And I can hardly wrap my head around the scope of hurt I brought on them. I’d be remiss to exclude the hurt that I’ve brought on people who I work with and have worked with who’s professional and personal lives have been impacted by all of this, including projects currently in production: the cast and crew of Better Things, Baskets, The Cops, One Mississippi, and I Love You Daddy. I deeply regret that this has brought negative attention to my manager Dave Becky who only tried to mediate a situation that I caused. I’ve brought anguish and hardship to the people at FX who have given me so much The Orchard who took a chance on my movie. and every other entity that has bet on me through the years. I’ve brought pain to my family, my friends, my children and their mother.

I have spent my long and lucky career talking and saying anything I want. I will now step back and take a long time to listen.

Thank you for reading.
It doesn't excuse his actions, but at least it appears to be an actual sincere apology, unlike how Kevin Spacey or Roy Moore responded to their allegations.

CorvusCaw
Maud Squad

Post by CorvusCaw (?) » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:50 am

It's not an apology. the entire thing is about HIS feelings.

Bremen

Post by Bremen (?) » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:05 am

CorvusCaw wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:50 am
It's not an apology. the entire thing is about HIS feelings.
Is it? He repeatedly apologizes, saying he hurt others and it was wrong. I guess I can't see how he could say more without speaking for the victims, which he shouldn't.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:18 am

Bremen wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:05 am
Is it? He repeatedly apologizes, saying he hurt others and it was wrong. I guess I can't see how he could say more without speaking for the victims, which he shouldn't.
On one hand, it's an apology that takes the blame and apologizes. On the other hand, as recently as last year, he was denying everything and doing damage control and minimizing the accusations. So now that he's been fired over it, there's an open question of how sincere the apology really is.

CosmogenicLily
Site Admin

Post by CosmogenicLily (?) » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:58 am

Factory Factory wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:55 pm
George Takei
I mean, the particular guy posting this has an agenda (calling Takei a "far left space cadet") but uh... This deffo sounds like he's gone full Cosby. :rip:

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:51 am

This is like watching an ultra gory horror movie.

Who's going to be eaten next?
👉👉🥜🏠

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:47 pm

The moral of the story is if you want to get away with sexually assaulting people, be a republican politician and not an actor or comedian.

minty

Post by minty (?) » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:38 pm

Yeah, there are a lot of Trump supporters having an absolute field day out of this.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:14 pm

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:00 pm

Updating on that, Berganza was finally fired by DC

Diamondheart

Post by Diamondheart (?) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:33 pm

This really is just pathetic and gross. I can't believe Takei was that skeezy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.avclub ... 1820394008

(reposted link from the Discord)

Dexanth
Celestia's Champions

Post by Dexanth (?) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:38 pm

The allegations are skeezy. They also hugely don't mesh with everything I've ever seen Takei do and promote and it's an...a crappy all around scenario.

I kind of wish someone else comes out to corroborate this but I also more wish that there's some smoking gun demonstrating it isn't a thing because damnit, I don't want it to be true and I'm afraid it may well be.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:06 am

And now word comes out that Nancy cartoonist Guy Gilchrist is a abusive dickbag.

I was getting the feeling that he wasn't mentally "there" just from reading his strip lately, but I never realized it was much, much worse. Holy shit.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:23 am

Each time someone else gets accused of something lately, with these most recent few I've found myself wondering how many are based on incidents that actually happened and how many are false accusations by people who want to hurt someone and are taking advantage of the current situation to do so. I know that this sort of thinking is really horrible, as I'm sure there are plenty of actual victims out there whose attackers tell them that no one will believe the story. But at the same time, as someone who has no power to investigate any of these claims, how can I respond to them? Must I take all of them at face value, immediately eschewing anything made by or involving the accused attacker? Or should I wait until any such abuse is proven in the justice system, knowing full well how many of these cases never even make it to trial?

I really don't know what to do. Maybe all I can do is just realize that there perhaps are far more bad people in this world than I imagined.

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:03 am

When it comes to individual cases I take the view that I wait until the justice system gives its verdict.

That's not incompatible with realising that there are broad issues with the system, with rape culture and with how abuses are handled. I draw a line between analysis of trends in society and analysis of a particular case, because cases can buck the trend.

But I'm human. It's very easy to get sucked in to a story and start using that one story as a sign of how things are broadly. I've done that a lot and it needs to stop.

"I bought a screw on ebay and it was rusted it just shows the internet is ruining everything and you can't trust chinese imports" etc
👉👉🥜🏠

Angry Critter

Post by Angry Critter (?) » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:22 am

Fizzbuzz wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:23 am
Each time someone else gets accused of something lately, with these most recent few I've found myself wondering how many are based on incidents that actually happened and how many are false accusations by people who want to hurt someone and are taking advantage of the current situation to do so. I know that this sort of thinking is really horrible, as I'm sure there are plenty of actual victims out there whose attackers tell them that no one will believe the story. But at the same time, as someone who has no power to investigate any of these claims, how can I respond to them? Must I take all of them at face value, immediately eschewing anything made by or involving the accused attacker? Or should I wait until any such abuse is proven in the justice system, knowing full well how many of these cases never even make it to trial?

I really don't know what to do. Maybe all I can do is just realize that there perhaps are far more bad people in this world than I imagined.
Well, it's good to be aware of sex abuse being a thing and just generally not being an offender yourself, but... You don't really have to do anything at all, I think. Unless you're actually called in for jury duty, nobody's asking you to decide who's guilty and who isn't. Especially if it's troubling your mind, maybe realize that nothing is expected of you in this regard other than not being a sex offender and not abusing victims. You're fine.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:33 pm

minty

Post by minty (?) » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:35 pm

"Missteps," right. :-/ And don't even get me started on this six months leave thing.

None of these guys are probably sorry, just sorry to get caught. I just don't understand it. Why are people like this? Why do they get off on this abuse of power? How many more are out there?

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:50 pm

minty wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:35 pm
Why are people like this? Why do they get off on this abuse of power?
I can't find the link now, but somebody interviewed a psychiatrist about this, asking that question, and the answer she basically gave was "because they figure they'll get away with it". And seeing that something close to 90% of assaults go unreported, they're not wrong.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:01 pm

Variety has more.
She said her manager kept her out of meetings where Lasseter would be present, telling her it would be best for her not to attend the intimate weekly reviews because “John has a hard time controlling himself around young pretty girls.”

Nevertheless, she would sometimes see Lasseter in the hallways, and felt uncomfortable when it appeared he was looking her up and down.

“It was almost comical how obvious he was about it,” she said.

She said that being excluded from meetings with Lasseter meant that she was not able to pitch or articulate her ideas or discuss her work with the director. She also felt left out of important conversations that went on in the review room. The experience made her feel undervalued and stifled in her career at the company, and she said it contributed to her decision to leave.

She said managers chose to thwart her career rather than “have difficult conversations with the most important, high-ranking and powerful man in the company.”
I'm remembering all the criticisms Pixar got for how little movies with female leads were made. I'm also remembering how Brenda Chapman was unceremoniously dumped from directing "Brave" just a few days after she was announced as the first female Pixar director (even if she still got co-director credit). Then I see this.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:11 pm

And it seems the scandal isn't limited to the US.

Rurouni Kenshin creator charged for possession of child porn

Kiith Soban

Post by Kiith Soban (?) » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:10 pm

There's a lesser-known story about this that I wanted to share, because it's personally important to me. It's the story of Walter Lewin, a former MIT physics professor, genius, and sex offender.

So, Walter Lewin was born in the Netherlands and grew up when it was occupied by Germany. Being from a Jewish family, he and his family had to hide often, and just narrowly escaped being sent to Auschwitz. One day, his dad just ran away. After the war, he went to the USA to start a new life, and in the 1960s, he got involved with the newly born field of X-ray astronomy. He was an experimentalist, and he did some gruelling work, gathering data in rural Australia for a field that was completely speculative at the time. Thanks to him and his team, it became an important area of experimental astronomy.

He was extremely good at teaching, too. He got famous for his creative, practical and memorable demonstrations of physical principles, like how you can't suck on a straw that's over 30m high (because the water pressure at that height becomes equal to the atmospheric pressure), or how shooting a closed paint can will make the lid pop off because of the sudden increase in air pressure. He published it all in a book, called For the Love of Physics, which I have a signed copy of. His lectures were so popular that MIT even put them online for free.

Then, in 2014, he was found guilty of sexually harassing a female student on his online course. MIT stripped him of his rank and expelled him. It was a hard decision, but it was the right one. The news baffled me, because while I can definitely believe that Woody Allen or any other movie maker would be a sex offender, Lewin didn't seem like the kind of guy to do it at all. He was a great teacher and a firm supporter of women participating in physics. He really influenced my own teaching style and the way I approach experiments... and then it turned out he was a sex offender too.

I still don't know why. Was it because he was 78 years old, and going senile, or maybe it was more acceptable in his time? Maybe he got arrogant and self-centered after becoming professor emeritus? It's baffling to me, and we'll probably never know what was going on in his head.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:28 am

I don't think anyone other than him can really tell us why and how, and even he might not be entirely clear on it. In my experience, it often has something to do with a sense of power, the feeling of "I can do this and get away with it". The rush of power can be intensely intoxicating, and when you pair that with ways to rationalize it or justify it in the context of how our society tends to treat women in general, it makes a disgusting amount of sense. Often, victims of sexual abuse are part of at least one underprivileged group (whether it's a person of color, a female person, an LGBT person, etc). It doesn't seem to be about the sex itself, since the people committing sexual harassment could often easily afford seeing a prostitute if that was the only issue. The power imbalance and abuse of it seems to be a big motivating factor instead. "I want it and I can have it", basically.

PhoolCat
EE
HECKING
YUP

Post by PhoolCat (?) » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:54 am

Also men in our society(ies) are basically programmed to expect to have power over other people - women in particular - and when that power is then denied because of social and/or economic standing, or ethnicity/religious grouping or whatever, then people feel entitled to take it when "offered", nevermind the fact that that power is inherently fake and taking it is so very wrong.

Someone wrote on tumblr - echoing Terry Pratchett's writing - that you should not in fact act on your "gut instincts", because that's just what society has "programmed" you to think or how to react. Instead, listen to your second thoughts, think how you really feel about things.
Image Image Image Image