Everyone in Hollywood is a sex offender

Old Mare Yells At Cloud. (News, Events, Philosophy)
Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Re: Everyone in Hollywood is a sex offender

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Fri May 11, 2018 8:29 pm

minty wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:25 pm
So John K posted this apology via Facebook.

By apology, I mean the most manipulative thing I've read in years. It looks like something a horror novelist would come up with, and then reject because they found it too unrealistic.

I could barely read that. What the fuck, John :starity:

What else is there to say except "NOPE".

EDIT: I "love" how he's throwing bipolar people under the bus by using that as an excuse for his behavior :-/

minty

Post by minty (?) » Fri May 11, 2018 9:00 pm

And people with ADHD for that matter. Funny how many people with ADHD, bipolar disorder, and depression manage not to harm young girls. Maybe some of them even are young girls.

I also "love" how he has to include yet another line about how he's one of the few directors who lets his staff have creative control. I'm no cartoonist, but I watch cartoons all the time and that's not true at all. Cartoons today are more creative than ever, more daring, and more kind. It's just such an incredibly self-centered view that he refuses to let go of because Filmation existed or something.

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Fri May 11, 2018 9:22 pm

I want this man in front of a judge.
👉👉🥜🏠

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Fri May 11, 2018 9:27 pm

minty wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:00 pm
I also "love" how he has to include yet another line about how he's one of the few directors who lets his staff have creative control.
It's even more bullshit because when you read interviews and statements from people who worked with him, he didn't really give them creative control all that much.

EDIT: From an artist who worked on "The Ripping Friends"
I worked with John K. back when he was doing "the Ripping Friends" in house at Red Rover. At first, I was excited about working with him. But soon, I started to see how much of a TOOL the guy is. He'd come in hung-over every day, and hit on all of the young women in the studio. (He seemed to prefer them 20 to 21) [Dirty-old-man-syndrome]. Approve things, then rip into them 2 hours later for being "shit", (he'd even do this to his OWN drawings without knowing it). And quite literally FROTH at the mouth whenever you started to talk to him about anything he had a strong opposing point of view on.

After roughly 2 months of putting up with his BS, the studio owner cut his ties with the project and John moved on to another studio, where he not only ruined his show, but the careers of 2 young female animators. (I think you can guess how..) Nuff Said.. The dude is a TOOL..
Note that he wrote this in 2011.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Fri May 11, 2018 10:56 pm

Even among the worst scumbags he manages to stand out as awful. I feel sick.
Image /// Image /// Image

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Fri May 11, 2018 11:08 pm

I think what annoys me is that, even when John K. admitted to having underage relationships, there are still people defending him in the comments.

It shouldn't surprise me, but it does. :facehoof:

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Sat May 12, 2018 7:24 pm

I think I might have a lower opinion of John K.’s defenders than I do the man himself, and considering I find him repulsive and sickening, that’s saying a lot. There isn’t a defense for a grown-ass man grooming and abusing teenagers.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sat May 12, 2018 7:43 pm

Madeline wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 7:24 pm
I think I might have a lower opinion of John K.’s defenders than I do the man himself, and considering I find him repulsive and sickening, that’s saying a lot. There isn’t a defense for a grown-ass man grooming and abusing teenagers.
Speaking of defenders...

I mentioned before about John K. having enablers. This Twitter thread confirmed my suspicion that John's toadies intimidated and threatened his victims into staying quiet, which is what contributed to the news taking years to come out.

I'm sorry I ever looked up to Eddie. What a piece of trash. :-/

I wonder how long until Frederator is pressured into firing Steve's worthless ass.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Sun May 13, 2018 12:05 am

That Twitter thread made me furious. I completely agree with Thad K. and Kate Rice. That statement is a bunch of victim-blaming bullshit. It sounds like the logic of an abuser, too. Fuck that dude. Fuck Eddie Fitzgerald, too. I’m sorry I ever knew of his existence, let alone swapped some emails with him. If I’d known 15 years ago what I know now, I would have told everyone I could to stay away. I feel sick.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sun May 13, 2018 1:44 am

I unfortunately remember Pete, and the guy is very much a tool. He used to do licensing art for Disney, and maybe he still does, although I'm not sure why anyone would want to hire him in light of this.

That Twitter thread has comments from his former students, and yeah, it's pretty clear that he was an absolute shitty teacher, which makes it unsurprising that Sheridan fired him. (EDIT: A former student said that he left before he got fired, having saw the writing on the wall when students started complaining about him)

You mentioned that he had an logic of an abuser. Well...:

More detailed thread here

I especially remember that he absolutely hated feminists and would always bash/ridicule them whenever possible (he used to complain about a feminist columnist in his newspaper when I read his blog a decade ago). Is it just me, or is it a red flag if someone is openly anti-feminist?

As far as Eddie Fitzgerald goes, I regret MEETING him in Burbank years ago. I remember talking to him, and he was going on about how John is the best cartoonist in the world. It's really jarring now, knowing this.

A commentator on Cartoon Brew summed Eddie up best: "Pinky picked the wrong guy to be his Brain."

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Sun May 13, 2018 2:20 am

Yeah, that figures. Anybody who says things like “any straight red-blooded man would be happy to be surrounded by teenage girls” is sending off huge red flags. Abusers tend to see their own behavior as justifiable and normal, and they also assume everyone else feels the same way. If you don’t agree, they just assume you’re ashamed of it or hiding something worse, because they have a very limited ability to empathize. (Speaking from personal experience, here :smith: )

Anti-feminism is a red flag for me, but I try to be cautious with people I don’t know in general. Shitty people can be very good at presenting a facade to the world. Look at Louis C.K. A lot of people thought that he couldn’t have done anything because he seemed like a decent dude for admitting to some of his own failings in his work, and he was well-respected and liked by his peers.

minty

Post by minty (?) » Sun May 13, 2018 11:05 am

Yeah, I remember reading all those blogs back in the day, even interacting a bit. I will admit there were a few times when I wanted to call out things, but I didn't for whatever reason (hey, can I blame my undiagnosed autism? :-/ ). Oh well, that was the old me. This isn't about me anyway.

I'm just glad people are more able and willing to speak out now. People are treating women animators as people now. I used to take drawing classes (I royally sucked at them which probably annoyed my very patient teachers) and a lot of students were female. I remember we watched "The Reluctant Dragon" for class and there was a line about how the "pretty girls" painted the animated cells. Everyone laughed at that, but that attitude clearly goes on with some people.

And those pages "apologizing" to Robyn Byrd and Katie Rice personally are probably the worst. It's manipulative and it's putting on a show for the rest of us who were not involved. Had someone not read the Buzzfeed article, they might be tricked to being more sympathetic because all it comes off as "I was rude to some people years ago but I've changed and there were good times." Anyway, it is never up the the abuser to find some good things about the time they abused their victims. It's derailing and degrading. If a victim wants to point out there were some good times, or find some good in a bad situation and so on, then that's okay. There's a big difference.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sun May 13, 2018 12:55 pm

Yeah, there's been time when I would call out if the artist I follow said something that was uncalled for, but after a while I just wondered if it was worth it because most of the time they just doubled down and never bothered changing (not helping is that no one else stepped in). Although in recent years it's clear that more and more people are taking less shit over this, so maybe things changed enough in recent times that it's different now.
Madeline wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 2:20 am
Shitty people can be very good at presenting a facade to the world. Look at Louis C.K. A lot of people thought that he couldn’t have done anything because he seemed like a decent dude for admitting to some of his own failings in his work, and he was well-respected and liked by his peers.
That's also a good point. I remember that even Bob Camp was surprised when the news of Chris Savino came out, having worked with him on "Ren and Stimpy".

Eddie always presented himself as a silly, eccentric "uncle" on his blogs, which just comes off as an even bigger facade now. At least Fontanelli and Worth never bothered hiding that they are assholes.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Mon May 14, 2018 2:13 am

Cartoon Brew posted about John's non-apology and the abortion thing just now, which has reactions from animation professionals who's not taking this shit.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Sun May 20, 2018 12:22 am

And now, Luc Besson, Director of Leon: The Professional, The Fifth Element, and Valerian amongst others:

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sun May 20, 2018 12:28 am

Disney is considering bringing back John Lasseter. Specifically, there are talks of bringing him back as some sort of creative head without any managerial powers.

Apparently Lasseter is regarded as VERY indispensable. When he was gone they had to divide his job to several people ("Now Disney is relying primarily on a panel of artists, producers and executives at each studio to make creative decisions").

I guess that's the secret to make you un-firable no matter what. :-I

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Sun May 20, 2018 12:37 am

I’m extremely disappointed, but not surprised.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Fri May 25, 2018 4:29 pm

N/m

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue May 29, 2018 8:44 pm

Missouri Governor Eric Greitens to resign amidst reports of sexual misconduct and blackmail charges

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Wed May 30, 2018 2:06 am

Disgraced "Loud House" creator (and former "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" writer) Chris Savino got suspended for one year by the Animation Guild.
The “charging parties” brought up Savino on charges of “disloyalty,” a union member with knowledge of the situation told Cartoon Brew this evening. The disloyalty is to the union constitution that members have to sign when they join the organization.

The language in that part of the constitution is vague – you can read it here – but since the constitution doesn’t have any specific language about sexual harassment, the disloyalty clause was the only part of the constitution where an actual violation had occurred and where Savino’s colleagues could pursue charges.

The trial for Savino was scheduled to begin on April 7, but Savino reached the plea agreement with the Trial Board on April 6. Part of the agreement was that the charging parties could address Savino if they wished, and that he would listen. He waved the right to cross-examine the parties.

So, instead of a trial, a hearing with the charging parties took place on April 7th.

The union member who spoke with Cartoon Brew tell us that this plea agreement is the best possible result, though it probably doesn’t go as far as many members would have liked. There were a number of mitigating circumstances that need to be taken into account. One of the issues is that the charges were not filed properly, something that Savino’s legal counsel recognized early on. And secondly, due to arcane loopholes in union rules, had The Animation Guild kicked Savino out of the union, a union shop could still hire him and then the union would have to pay his dues, a situation that would have been to Savino’s benefit.
More Here.

For those who is hoping that the Guild can file charges against John Kricfalusi, that seems unlikely. Spumco was non-union and AFAIK, John K. hasn't been a Guild member in years. (Not to mention, statue of limitations expired years ago)

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Thu May 31, 2018 10:28 am

Some of you may remember that George Takei was accused of sexual assault. Well, after people starting noticing holes in the story, the accuser walked back the claim.

I guess it was inevitable that somebody was going to take advantage of the #MeToo movement to make shit up. Hope this won't hurt it.

In another news, #LoseLasseter is gaining steam on Twitter when it became apparent that Pixar is seriously considering bringing back John Lasseter after his six-months leave of absence. This took off after ABC's parent company, Disney, cancelled "Roseanne".

The six-months ended last week, but Disney hasn't said whether Lasseter came back or not. They're being VERY quiet about this.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:03 am

It looks like Nickelodeon is removing all traces of "Ren and Stimpy". They removed all R&S videos on their official YouTube channel, and it's no longer on iTunes and other streaming platforms. I don't know if they'll abandon R&S altogether, but at least for the foreseeable future they're distancing themselves from it.

I've been following threads about John K. on Twitter, and evidently he's still going after girls. A 20-year old artist in particular:

Unfortunately, she appears to be a lost cause. Even after everybody warned her about his behavior, she brushed it off, even deleting their comments.

I'm starting to understand how helpless you feel when you can't save everyone. It's a shitty feeling :fluttersmith:

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:09 pm

Comic creator and editor Brandon Graham has been accused of being a trans chaser.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:42 pm

Sorry if I keep posting news about the animation industry here, but this seemed big enough to be shared.

John Lasseter will leave Disney at the end of the year.

They have yet to officially announce who will take over his job, although The New York Times reports that Jennifer Lee and Pete Docter are expected to take over his jobs at Disney and Pixar respectively.
Pixar has been criticized over the years as a boy’s club. Women have produced Pixar hits, but only one of Pixar’s 20 feature films, “Brave,” has a credited female director. That woman, Brenda Chapman, was fired halfway through production after she clashed with Mr. Lasseter. Ms. Chapman subsequently joined DreamWorks Animation, telling The New York Times in 2013 that “you can butt heads here and not be punished for it, unlike at another place I could name.”

Mr. Lasseter’s supporters have pointed out that he hired Ms. Lee as a director of “Frozen,” which was praised for its departure from Disney’s romantic “princess” formula. She is now working on “Frozen 2,” which is set for release in November 2019. Pixar has also started to focus more on female lead characters, including Joy in “Inside Out” and Dory the forgetful fish in “Finding Dory.”

But Rashida Jones, the actress and writer, said in November that she left a Pixar assignment early because of the way the studio treated female and minority employees.

“There is so much talent at Pixar, and we remain enormous fans of their films,” Ms. Jones and her writing partner, Will McCormack, said in a statement at the time. “However, it is also a culture where women and people of color do not have an equal creative voice.”

diribigal
Special Flowers

Post by diribigal (?) » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:21 pm

This isn't Hollywood, the potential offender isn't a man, and the case isn't settled by any means, but this seems like the most relevant thread.

Basically, Judith Butler and other famous names signed a letter that amounts to "we don't have any of the facts, but how dare someone accuse my colleague that we consider a good person of anything related to sexual harassment". This is covered in articles at https://qz.com/1302717/judith-butler-an ... is-unfair/ and https://www.chronicle.com/article/How-a ... tal/243650

Also, another grad student had this to say:
I have witnessed first hand Avital Ronell's behavior with her advisees during several conferences at NYU. To say that she cultivates a sexually- and erotically-charged environment would be a tremendous understatement...While I know many who have thrived in this environment, I also know many who have suffered as a result of it.
I appreciated this comment (from "chernobyl kinsman" on SA):
"Judith Butler accuses alleged sexual harassment victim of lying" is not a thing I expected to read even in this nightmare hellworld
ImageImageImage Very math.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:10 am

This also isn't Hollywood, but here is a Twitter thread written by Soraya Een Hajji, an ex-contributor and ex-partner of Extra Credits owner James Portnow. She discusses the way she was harassed out of the company after breaking off the romantic relationship with James Portnow.

The worst part of the currently unfolding events is probably the response Extra Credits gave:
Statement Regarding Harassment Allegations, 6/9/2018

About half a year ago one of our employees left Extra Credits. They later claimed that another employee had harassed them out of the company.

Extra Credits takes allegations of workplace harassment very seriously.

To verify the claim, Extra Credits hired an independent HR firm to investigate the matter, and was ready to abide by all findings, including firing anyone found responsible of committing misconduct.

The contracted HR firm assigned a female HR manager to lead the investigation. The HR investigator conducted interviews with Extra Credits staff members and reviewed written correspondence.

After investigating, the HR firm found no evidence of improprieties with regards to the claims of workplace harassment.

To ensure maximum employee protection, we asked the HR firm to provide a list of recommendations for the future. Extra Credits is currently implementing these recommendations.
"Our HR people say it's fine, so it's fine" is not a great statement.
Image /// Image /// Image

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:13 pm

"we hired" and "independent"

pick one.
👉👉🥜🏠

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:06 pm

And this from the series that took a stand against Gamergate almost as soon as it became a thing.

It's times like this I truly do understand the people who are rooting for the world to end soon. 'Cause like, if men like him are this bad, imagine how much worse all the others are.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:15 pm

Disney officially confirmed that Jennifer Lee and Peter Docter will replace John Lassetter at Disney Animation and Pixar respectively. Best of luck to them.

Apparently Adult Swim is still airing bumpers that John K. made.

I know Adult Swim was never known for good taste, but continuing to air something made by a racist, sexist, homophobic pedophile is a bit too much :-/

Dexanth
Celestia's Champions

Post by Dexanth (?) » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:58 am

Mr. Big wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:28 am
Some of you may remember that George Takei was accused of sexual assault. Well, after people starting noticing holes in the story, the accuser walked back the claim.

I guess it was inevitable that somebody was going to take advantage of the #MeToo movement to make shit up. Hope this won't hurt it.

Well, being overseas means not reading threads, but...yea. I'm glad that the one accusation to turn out to be the one person I was most hoping the claim was a false smear.

Because yea, Takei was on that short list of genuine surprises that would shock and hurt, and...good.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:50 pm

It's a long read, but if anyone was wondering what all really went down at Pixar that led to John Lasseter getting the boot, here's one former employee's story.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:26 pm

Harvey Weinstein faces new charges. If convicted, he could be sentenced to life in prison.

Weinstein, through his attorney, says he plans to plead not guilty.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:26 pm

There are now at least 25 people who came forward to Robyn Byrd that they were targeted by John K.

The ones in blue were underage at the time

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:35 pm

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:51 am

Just because an institution is old and revered doesn't mean it needs to keep going. I think taking this away forever would be an important gesture about turning your back on the old elite for something new. I doubt it'll happen though. They'll be back but with some kind of "we're totally different now" message.
👉👉🥜🏠

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:26 pm

Comic book writer Gerard Jones sentenced to 6 years in prison for child pornography charges.

This is pretty sickening. To anyone who read his comics, were there any warning signs?

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:54 am

Asia Argento is a disgusting hypocrite who groomed a child she had known since has 7 to have sex with her.
But in the months that followed her revelations about Mr. Weinstein last October, Ms. Argento quietly arranged to pay $380,000 to her own accuser: Jimmy Bennett, a young actor and rock musician who said she had sexually assaulted him in a California hotel room years earlier, when he was only two months past his 17th birthday. She was 37. The age of consent in California is 18.

That claim and the subsequent arrangement for payments are laid out in documents between lawyers for Ms. Argento and Mr. Bennett, a former child actor who once played her son in a movie.

The documents, which were sent to The New York Times through encrypted email by an unidentified party, include a selfie dated May 9, 2013, of the two lying in bed. As part of the agreement, Mr. Bennett, who is now 22, gave the photograph and its copyright to Ms. Argento, now 42. Three people familiar with the case said the documents were authentic.
Her #metoo compatriot, and TERF idiot, Rose McGowan, is asking people to “be gentle” with a child abuser. I’m not seeing what makes Argento any more deserving of sympathy than Weinstein, here. In fact, what Argento did was worse, because her hypocrisy in being a rapist while calling out men for the same has probably now ruined the entire movement to get people to believe accusers.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:51 am

About a year ago, a small-press comic publisher named Cody Pickrodt was accused of rape and sexual assault by several people, which spread all over the comics community.

This week, news came out that Pickrodt is suing 11 people (including his victims and other people who reported on it) for defamation, demanding that he receive $2.5 million in damages.

It goes without saying that most cartoonists have nowhere near the money needed to pay the legal fees. One of the people named in the suit set up a GoFundMe page to help finance the lawsuit. More will likely follow.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:44 pm

Norm Macdonald defended Louis CK, Roseanne, and Chris Hardwick. I wouldn't have bothered linking this, but the line "Of course, people will go, ‘What about the victims?’ But you know what? The victims didn’t have to go through that" just astounded me

:starity:

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:38 pm

There's a "Ren and Stimpy" documentary that's been in production since 2015. Bob Camp and others have been interviewed for it, but John K. repeatedly refused to be interviewed for over 2 years until last March, when he suddenly agreed to it.

Gee, I wonder what made him change his mind :-/