It's december, post your 2017 game lists here

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

ixnay
The Great and Powerful Trixsters

It's december, post your 2017 game lists here

Post by ixnay (?) » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:19 pm

It's getting close to the end of the year or as it's known on the internet, top 10 list season :-I

So make all the lists you want and post them here about games you played or didn't play in 2017. Favorite games? Games you wish you played? Least favorite games? Go nuts, post your lists, and talk about how your year in games went.

To start with, looking back at all the games I played this year, it turns out that I mainly put my time into older games from 2016 that I got on sale and somehow only managed to play 3 games (or just 2, if you don't count an updated "definitive edition") that came out in 2017, so here's my top 3 games that came out this year:
  1. Wolfenstein II - level design wasn't as good as the first game and it wasn't as fun to play stealthily but oh man that story went places that I really enjoyed
  2. F1 2017 - solid racing sim with a shit ton of details from the actual sport and an in-depth career mode. It has a full-fledged tech tree for your car!
  3. ReCore (definitive edition) - I've only just reached the start of the obvious gating and game padding near the endgame that a lot of reviews from last year complained about so I may have gone through the best part of the game already. Still, it's a fun exploration platformer with good robot buddies, and it definitely seems like they managed to iron out the technical glitches reviewers ran into.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Re: It's december, post your 2017 game lists here

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:55 am

Hm, games I played this year...
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn finally convinced me to pick up a PS4. I always try to avoid buying consoles/handhelds because I wind up playing one or two games on them before they gather dust, but HZD is very pretty, and the story's a lot of fun.
  • Prey: It's so good. Seriously.
  • Stellaris was fun for a bit, but I have to admit I don't have the time or patience for lots of long Civ-type games anymore.
    I need to get back to this once the next patch drops to see if I can figure out how to win without getting trounced by the end-game baddies.
  • NieR: Automata is good. Haven't finished it yet, but I appreciate Yoko Taro's vision.
  • HITMAN: I started playing this around January or February, and golly it's provided a lot of fun over the year.
  • Anno 2205: I've been craving base-building games lately, so I tried this one. It was okay, I suppose... until I couldn't figure out some of the basic controls. Maybe the level broke? I never figured it out.
  • Aven Colony is another base-building game, but it's... odd. Sort of half-SimCity, half-Command & Conquer. Instead of just building a huge base, you walk through a campaign with a bunch of different scenarios you have to respond to -- low water, poison gas, unfriendly aliens. The story bits are pretty corny, but I liked that it had enough early warning for the basic city management problems that none of my bases fell into a depression spiral where the colonists refuse to do even the basic things to solve their own problems.
  • Planetbase Another space colony base-building game. I liked this one, but it was really prone to, "Oops, not enough widgets, everyone gives up and starves to death."
  • Oxygen Not Included: The new base-building game from the Don't Starve people. Still in Early Access, and I'm not sure how much longer they plan to work on it. But it's pretty well-polished even at this early stage, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. The only issue is that it rewards people who can super-micromanage their bases and plan everything out perfectly, and that is not me right now.
  • Mass Effect: Andromeda :fluttersmith: I just want Bioware to tell good stories with fun characters again. HZD did this better than they did, but it seems like nobody wants to do games with real choices anymore except CD Projekt Red.
  • Not sure if I mentioned The Banner Saga at the end of last year, but I played that, and it was okay. Combat system was irritating, but the setting was decent.
  • Oh, and I fired up Cookie Clicker for the first time in ages, and now I'm closing in on filling out the ascension tree. :insomnia:

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:53 am

100 games in 1

But...
This one's too young

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:31 am

Prey is Bae
Hitman is good too

PonyHag714
Here comes the helmet!

Post by PonyHag714 (?) » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:11 pm

I picked up NHL 2K6 for the PS2 a couple of days ago. Yes, it's old, but it's also easy to pick up and play and you can create players and load up teams without worrying about the salary cap and other nonsense. :-/
Image ("Don't try to reform me, Hag, because I'm made of cold stone.")

Fontra
forums shittiest ponisters

Post by Fontra (?) » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:12 pm

I played uh... wow I didn't play real shit this year except Overwatch and Fire Emblem Echoes. I really need a Switch at some point.

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:31 pm

Oh right. Lemme change my list:
Prey is Bae
Hitman is good
Mario Odyssey is hella good

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:51 pm

This year was basically "picking and choosing which games I'm going to get" because there was a lot I was interested in playing, and hoo boy, there was a lot of games this year. So I'm just gonna talk about the games I played for this list, because I liked all of them anyways. Going in no real particular order:

Nier Automata: While I haven't played Nier or any Drakengard games, I've certainly experienced them through LPs, and I was really interested in, and I love those guy this one, especially since it was co-developed by Platinum Games. The gameplay is really good (albiet not top-tier quite like bayonetta), but the story, music, and characters absolutely stole the show. And most notabily, this could only work as a game. Some games you could see it being presented as movie or something else, but the gameplay is just so deeply ingrained into the story and it's themes. It's absolutely fantastic. This is easily one of my favorite games of the year.

Persona 5: This game oozes style, and is overall fantastic. The story is really good, I love the setting, and I really enjoyed the day to day stuff like I did in Persona 4. I just have Problems with some things, which keeps me from enjoying it quite as much as I could. There's a lack of good representation of LGBT themes/characters, when the most notable examples are this gay couple that show up briefly to hit on and harass the protagonist and Ryuji. Presumably for laughs. And then the midpoint event of the second dungeon feels like it entirely goes against everything the very first dungeon was arguing against. And me, personally? I think it's really rather weird that there are a good number of older women in social links that you can have the 16-yo protagonist romance.
It's still a great game, but when I look back at it, I just can't help but find some stuff in the game that just bothers me about it.

Prey: they called the third system shock game "Prey". This game feels like the first true and proper system shock successor since system shock 2. I liked the Bioshock games (except for 2, because I never played it) when they came out, but as time went on, more and more problems made themselves apparent. But Prey? This one is really damn good. It absolutely has some flaws, like how when you're almost upon the endgame, combat becomes a damn slog, and how you can basically make combat against most of the enemies entirely trivial by improving your shotgun and unloading a couple of shells. At the end of the day, however, this succeeds at creating a successor to the System Shock games, while also going in it's own direction. It created a believable and lived-in environment and setting and has a great story.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: The switch rules, and this was a great way to sell me on the system. An entirely open zelda game that I could just go running around and exploring in for hours is a hell of a thing. I like open world games, but in recent years, they've been a mess of busywork. BotW fixes that by giving you an actual reason to go exploring the land. There's large ubisoft towers that give you map data, sure, but they only reveal the landscape. Any notable landmarks or destinations or extras to find are on YOU to find. And you don't HAVE to go running around either! just do whatever you feel like! And it's great! I liked having to explore and find my own path around the world, and always having means to do either stupid shit, or sensible stuff with the tools I've been given. It's just a great game to get lost in.

Blaster Master Zero: The origional Blaster Master is a good game, and this is a fantastic remake. When it first came out, it was solid and fun, but it didn't have much replay value. As time went on, free updates to introduce new extras and DLC characters from other games helped add more to the game. It's a lot of fun and well worth the $10 asking price, but it's not as outstanding as some other games that came out this year.

Mighty Gunvolt Burst: Inti Creates comes and shows Comcept how it's done. By all accounts, Mighty No. 9's 2016 release was a disaster. While I had plenty fun with the game, there's no denying the many issues with the game. Then Inti Creates, hot off their previous releases of Gunvolt 2 and Blaster Master Zero, comes out with a sequel to the small retro-themed bonus Gunvolt/MN9 tie-in game, Mighty Gunvolt. The origional was just a short and basic game, but it was fun enough bonus for people who bought Gunvolt 1 and/or backed MN9. Burst, however, is a full fledged game, and truly feels like a proper megaman-like, but with a catch: you get to customize your buster and special properties. All throughout the game, you collect various bonus abilities and CP to work with, letting you custom build the sort of projectiles you want to use, as well as add special abilities you can use while you have that weapon equipped. It's a really fun time and I had a blast.

Sonic Mania: I've spent way too much time on this game. Finally, a proper "back-to-basics" Sonic game. Christian Whitehead and co really knocked it out of the park with this game. It's just a really fun game to just play whenever. It was intended to be like a continuation of the genesis games, and it really feels like it. Fantastic music, fantastic sprite-work, and the level design is just really on point. There's some missteps with some bosses being not really that good (oil ocean's bosses come to mind, as well as flying battery act 2's boss), the final stage is a bit long, and blue spheres as a bonus stage, while fun, really breaks the pace by being too long at times. I love this game though, and I need a copy of the soundtrack on my phone asap. When can i buy the soundtrack sega.

Metroid: Samus Returns: metroids's back baby, it's good again. Aruoooo (wolf howl). God, I've been waiting for a game like this for what seems way too long. AM2R was a fantastic fangame, but god, it's good to see that there's more metroid on the way and that it's still good, despite Other M and Federation Force kinda hanging in the air like an ugly spectre. It's got good exploration, the Aeion abilities are a really neat new feature to add to the game, the story was handled pretty great, and all of the boss fights were fun. Diggernaut's final form sucked though, Area 3 felt like a huge drought in terms of powerup progression, and it's honestly a bit hard to guess that powerbombing while in spiderball did anything. I do think that AM2R did some things better than Samus Returns, but I really liked a lot of things that SR did differently. I can easily find love for both SR and AM2R.

Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus: Back when The New Order came out, it was such a breath of fresh air for me when it came to FPS games. I loved the story, loved the gameplay, and it was just great. Loved the Old Blood, too! The New Colossus is also pretty damn fantastic. I do admit that I need to revisit the game, but I think Doom really kinda spoiled me, and TNC felt a little wonkier gameplay-wise than I would have liked. The story is still a standout though, and with all the real world bullshit going on these days, it felt a bit cathartic to experience it. I just need to get around to replaying it and playing all the extra stuff.

Super Mario Odyssey: This game is just...fun. Like, just a really damn fun platformer. It's kind of a chore to try and 100% every last damn thing at times, but just trying to get to the end, and collect a ton of moons and explore the absolutely packed kingdoms that the game has to offer is seriously a lot of fun. I love New Donk City, I love the Steam Gardens, the Luncheon Kingdom, the endgame is absolutely fantastic, and it's just a lot of fun! I just don't have a lot to say other than it's just extremely fun and it's a great switch game.

Sonic Forces: It's not as amazing as Mario Odyssey. It's not as fantastic as Sonic Mania. Hell, I'd argue that Colors and Generations are still better than this game. But damn, if I still didn't enjoy Sonic Forces a whole bunch. It's a short game, but it's solid, focused, and fun. I like trying to customize my avatar, I like the music a whole bunch, and I like that the game didn't try to go for some sort of major gimmick beyond the player avatar. I do wish that maybe they added a bit more to the game, especially with the story, where it seems that it goes a little too quickly at times, and how it doesn't give a proper resolution to the villains. Also I want to slap whoever named the final boss, because it's bad. That is not a Death Egg Robot. Call it the Infinite Phantom Egg or something. Anything else!
It's still a good game though, imo.

Night in the Woods: God. What a game. When I got the game in the middle of november, I was kinda at a low point, mood-wise the past few months, just from how everything has been going with my life, as well as how things were going in the news. And honestly? Some of the stuff that the game touches on hit a bit too close to home, which didn't help things either. But even then, I continued. There's just something about the characters, the setting, and the dialogue that just resonates with me so personally. And Mae in particular just so relatable in a lot of ways. I went through the last act and reached the epilogue in a single night, and I couldn't stop. I was hooked. And despite all the crap that did hit me throughout the game, the end of the game left me with a sense of closure, and being able to move on.
Life sucks. There's a ton of bullshit, and there's certainly going to be pain and hardship as there are some issues just so deeply ingrained that they can't just be easily solved in a single night, or even a couple of nights. But despite the bad, there's good too. It's possible to be able to reach a point where you can have a chance to move forward in a positive direction, even if it's slow and small gains. There's always hope.

And I just loved this game. It resonates with me very personally, and it's one of my absolute favorites for this year. No doubt about it.

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:57 pm

I forgot Night in the Woods came out this year. It's a fantastic thing :allears:

Jill
it's the super maria sisters super show!!!
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:01 pm

there were some good nintendo games i guess

Jill
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:03 pm

mighty gunvolt burst is the example of how to make a modern mega man game

Highbrow Dash
But why would you post such a thing?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Highbrow Dash (?) » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:01 pm

Mario Odyssey might be my favorite game ever. It's definitely my favorite platformer. It's so fucking good in every way, so charming, so well designed. Plus it made me laugh out loud multiple times, its childlike wonder and imagination are so great :allears: Remember how just a few months ago we were hoping Yooka Layle would bring back "open world" 3D platformers?

Prey was amazing. I can't believe they actually brought back FPS RPGs for real. This is what Bioshock wishes it could be.

Hollow Knight was one of the best games of the year. Probably the best Metroidvania on Steam.

Nier Automata was a hell of an experience too. I do wish the combat was better (I feel like Furi did it better), but the story was great and I loved all the different takes on its gameplay and the way it plays around the player's expectations.

Zelda Breath of the Wild was good fun. It has flaws, but that's because it tried to do something new (unlike Mario which was just an extremely polished modern version of an old formula). It still succeeded beautifully, and I can't wait to see Nintendo iterate and polish this new game design.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:24 pm

Fontra wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:12 pm
I played uh... wow I didn't play real shit this year except Overwatch and Fire Emblem Echoes. I really need a Switch at some point.
Eh. I have a Switch and I didn't play shit this year except for some BotW and an ungodly amount of Splatoon.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:39 pm

Well like 2/3rds of the game he really wants are on the Switch, and I think your obsession with Splatoon is less about the Switch not being interesting and more about Splatoon just being hecking fun.
Image /// Image /// Image

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:47 pm

Oh yeah, nah, I wasn't putting the Switch down when I said that. There's plenty more games I want and that I'd buy if I thought I'd actually put any amount of time into them, instead of me buying them and then putting them aside to play more of the squid game instead.

I thought a particularly apt comparison on account of Splatoon and Overwatch both being class-based, team-based, objective-based shooters. :smirk:

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:08 pm

But...
This one's too young

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:44 am

Oh, hey, I finally made a new account here. Might as well share some of my favorite 2017 games. Keep in mind that I still really need to sink my teeth into Breath of the Wild and I also just started NieR:Automata so I can't give strong opinions on it just yet. These are also in no particular order, I'm just gonna write them as they come to me.

Super Mario Odyssey: Easily my favorite 3D Mario since Super Mario 64. There's not much to be said about this one that hasn't already been said to death. I feel like maybe there are too many Power Moons to collect and that the minigames mostly suck but those nitpicks aside this is an amazing game and you're missing out if you haven't played it.

Persona 5: Quite possibly the most stylish game I've ever played, Persona 5 was one of my most anticipated games of this year and boy did it not disappoint. Took the mechanics from Persona 4 and improved on them. I loved negotiating with demons to obtain them as Personas, way more interesting than the card minigame from the previous couple Personas. While I still probably would consider P4 my favorite in the series, P5 was still fantastic.

A Hat in Time: This game describes itself as a "heckin cute" platformer and they aren't lying because holy crap is this game CUTE. If you're a fan of N64 and GameCube era platformers like Banjo-Kazooie and Super Mario Sunshine you need to check out this game. It's just bursting with charm and humorous writing and characters that seems to take inspiration from Paper Mario. Hat Kid is also one of the most fun characters I've ever had control of in a 3D platformer ever. Seriously, once you get her movements down she's right up there with Mario in terms of control. I can't wait to see the speedruns of this game. And did I mention she's HECKIN CUTE?

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard: HOLY SHIT. Resident Evil is BACK. And it's actually GOOD. And SCARY. I was so happy to see Resident Evil return to its survival horror roots, especially after the trainwreck that was RE6. The tone, setting, and atmosphere of RE7 was top notch and the Bakers proved to be extremely memorable antagonists and the most sympathetic since Lisa Trevor from REmake. It's just too bad the enemy variety outside of the Baker family is seriously lacking.

Doki Doki Literature Club!: This game came out of nowhere. On its surface DDLC may appear to be just another dating sim visual novel with cute anime waifus but don't be fooled because, boy, does this game go places. And that's all I can really say without spoiling anything because this is a game best experienced blind with as little knowledge as possible. But I will say it's one of the scariest games I've ever played. It's also FREE so playing it won't cost you a dime, so check it out. But, please, don't take the trigger warning the game gives you lightly. This game is filled with highly disturbing content and if you can't handle themes like depression, abuse, self harm and suicide, it's probably in your best interest to not touch this game.

Metroid: Samus Returns: Samus returns, indeed! I never really played Metroid 2 and I never got the chance to play AM2R so I don't have anything to really compare Samus Returns to but I loved the hell out of this game. I'd honestly rank it up there with Super Metroid. I still technically have to beat the game. I have one Metroid left to hunt down: the final boss. And I've been putting it off because I wasn't quite ready to say goodbye. But, man, this game is good and if you like Metroid and haven't played it yet you really need to fix that.

Night in the Woods: This was another game that came out of nowhere for me. I just happened to see it come out on PS4, thought it looked interesting, and gave it download. I wasn't expecting a game that felt so real and relatable. Sometimes it feels a little TOO real and relatable. It's hard to even really put into words what makes the game so special but it's one that I'm going to remember for a long time.

Sonic Mania: I'm just going to come out and say it: Sonic Mania is the best Sonic game ever. Yes, better than Sonic 2. Better than Sonic 3 & Knuckles. It's just that good. Christian Whitehead knows his stuff and the level design in Mania is some of the strongest Sonic has ever had. In fact the only stages I dislike are Sonic and Tails' act 1 of Mirage Saloon and I feel the final levels overstay their welcome a bit. But, those aside, this is an amazing game and Tee Lopes put together an amazing soundtrack.

Jill
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:01 am

JILL AWARDS 2017

:crack: Dat Inventive Spin: Mighty Gunvolt Burst

:party: It's not Scummy. How About That: Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp

:granny: Blessed Remake: Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap

:golfclop: Ye Sickest of Tunes: Sonic Mania

:moonie: The Dark Souls of Something or Other: Cuphead

:awkward: I'm No Speedrunner, But: KAMIKO

:-I Thank Christ It's Not Number Porn: Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

:fluttershrug: Played, Liked, and Neglected Halfway Through: Slime-san

:modesty: Bought and Promptly Forgotten About: Horizon Zero Dawn

:yikes: Actually, That One Came out Last Year: Beglitched

:flutterunsmith: You Stuck with Us in Spite of Everything: Super Bomberman R

Snowfire
Night Mares

Post by Snowfire (?) » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:23 am

The We Need More Kick Ass Female Protagonists in Good Games Award: Horizon: Zero Dawn

The Same As Above But Fuck The AAA Game Industry Award: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

The If I Die on the Airship Level One More Time My Controller is Going Through A Wall Award: Sonic Mania

The Teenage Life Simulator Seriously What the Fuck is Wrong With Adults Award: Persona 5

Just Monika: Doki Doki Literature Club

The You Fucked Up So Bad The Government is Now After You Award: Star Wars Battlefront 2

And finally...

Yes I know this game is far from perfect and there's a lot of things that need to get better and yes it has loot boxes but it's also the only game that I play almost every day Award: Destiny 2

Name: Tammy

RudeCyrus
nightmare eyes
Rainbow Racers
Patreon supporter

Post by RudeCyrus (?) » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:10 pm

Uncharted 4: What a blast. It's like playing an action movie. Beautiful graphics and funny dialogue. Definitely the best of the Uncharted games.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice: I can't gush enough about this game. Great acting, great story, and a hearty middle finger to AAA publishers.

Prey: I wish there were more games like this -- we haven't had a good FPS RPG since BioShock 2 and this fits the bill nicely. The ending feels a bit like Return of the King, but still highly recommended.

Hitman: What Hitman: Absolution should have been.

Vivianinatoga
Semper Pie

Post by Vivianinatoga (?) » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:10 pm

I didn't end up playing a lot of games from this year, so it's hard to put down a list of actual 2017 games...

2017 Games I played a lot of:
  • Fire Emblem Heroes<e> - The first of the four or so games from this year that I began playing. Over the course of the year, it's definitely one of my most played games even though I've waffled between going head-in or completely ignoring it. It was a nice alternative to Fire Emblem proper in lieu of any Nintendo equipment to play the real installments on, if not a bit too watered down and really slow to build itself into a good experience. I'm at the point now where there's very little incentive for me to spend an increasingly larger portion of time for much smaller gains. I'll probably still do a bit of playing here and there during breaks at work for the sake of feeling accomplished at something, but other than that I think I've had my fill. It was fun when my interest lasted, I can say that for sure.
  • Yooka-Laylee - I played this long enough to unlock all of the worlds and abilities and realize that I was a very different person in 1999 than I am now in 2017, and so are games. And game developers, for that matter. A lot of the aspects of this game's design don't mesh very well IMO, and part of that stems from concepts from different eras not working in harmony. That was all pre-Spit N Polish update, so fair shake, maybe a lot of the problems I had with the base version have been fixed and I'll have a better time than before. And there's no way for the remaining problems to be adjusted without significantly changing the meat of the game.
  • Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online - Yet Another Weeaboo Franchise Game In A Genre Unique To The Series That's Rough Around The Edges And Makes Me Wish IF and Compile Hearts Would Either Do More R&D Or Take The Lessons Learned From Other Attempts And Apply Them To Sequels Or Something: The Fake MMORPG Version. The endgame grind is fucking real because the party system is fucking borked and I'm kind of getting tired of every game requiring hours upon hours of mindless trudging to be able to complete the later sections that aren't even post-game. When your pseudo-online game barely supports online play, and can't even do story missions co-op, you know it deserves to be shelved, but I'm dumb and have decided to plow through to the end since I'm on the final area (I think).
  • Persona 5 - My personal 2017 Game of the Year. Oozes with style, expands and improves upon a vast majority of mechanics built from older Persona games, and has enough twists to keep interesting the whole way through. There's a lot of small qualms to be had with the game's plot, most already mentioned numerous times by others as well as I. I find those qualms easier to overlook compared to the strength of the whole, but I do not hold it against anyone for those qualms to affect their opinion of the game moreso than mine.

Older games I played a lot of
  • Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (2014) - I picked this up to pass the same time at work that FEH would had I had the stamina (back when keeping up with supply was an issue). It does some things better than most other f2p phone games, but the more I got into the mechanics of the game, the more I saw it actually had all of the same problems as other f2p games. Between FEH finding ways to alleviate its extreme stamina usage (a f2p mechanic that should really die), a dwindling amount of spare time to spend, and a growing disdain for the industry's current need for "long term engagement platform" really meaning "make the game grindy AF instead of actually fun enough to warrant spending hundreds of hours playing," I turned away from FFRK.
  • Megadimension Neptunia VII (2015) - The best YAWFG of the four main Neptunia RPGs. A much more engaging story than Re;Birth 3, better expansion of quests and gameplay than Re;Birth 1, a large and altogether fun cast of characters, and highly impressive voiceover work. A genuine charm. One of the two (and only two) Neptunia games I would recommend to people interested in the series.
  • Overwatch (2016) - S'fun, even if I suck teat in it and get shat on constantly for my hero biases.
  • Heroes of the Storm (2015) - S'fun as well, even if I'm a baby who plays casually and prefers spectating it. Another game I'm slowly losing interest as I realize the time I spend in it "improving" (i.e. expanding my hero pool rather than actually getting better) produces diminishing returns to the point that I'd rather divert my time and focus to games on the backlog.
  • Dragon Quest Heroes 2 (2016) - A game from said backlog. A good blend of Warriors-style gameplay and DQ-inspired mechanics. Don't expect it to scratch the Warriors itch in exactly the same way, though.
  • Chronicles of Teddy: Harmony of Exidus (2015) - A cute and quaint yet challenging 2D action-platformer. I may have griped about it when playing, but those were rather nitpicky and the miserable headspace I was in at the time definitely colored my perceptions poorly.
  • The Witness (2016) - I Get It(tm) when it's described as "The best video game you never have play, ever". Engaging without being overbearing nor forceful, incredibly heady and a bit haughty (often to its detriment, but not completely), at times very obtuse but for the most part fairly so, rewarding to a point. I cheated the endgame like whoa, don't tell Blow.
  • Shovel Knight (2014) - The expansions keep getting better and better. Spectre of Torment is Rad AF and I can't wait for King Knight's quest to go live.
  • Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir (2016) - I've been eyeing this for a while, and finally picked it up a couple weeks ago. Muramasa: Reborn was pretty dang good, and this has been just as good. I've only completed the first campaign out of five (plus what looks to be a bonus sixth epilogue campaign?) so there's still a lot to experience, but I'm already looking forward to it!

Older games I dabbled in this year:
  • Thumper - Styyyyyle like whoa, me likey. Intense shit, which can be burdensome since it can get grindy at times. I stopped about halfway through and haven't gone back yet, but I want to. Just waiting to get into the right mindset to work through the sensory overload.
  • FF15 - Meh. Can't say I was looking forward to playing More Complex Kingdom Hearts, esp. when the story wasn't really grabbing me.
  • Disgaea 5 - Picked it up alongside DQH2 and focused on the latter first, then got distracted by other games on my want list. It's more of the same, which is a good thing. I wish voiceovers weren't a thing in this one, dang did that SAG/AFTRA strike hurt this game. Well, not so much the actors, but rather the direction. Yee gods, it could have been worlds better if the director had been on top of their shit, keeping every line fresh-sounding and flowing better beat-to-beat.
  • Hyperdevotion Noire - YAWFG-blah-blah-blah: The Tactics Version. Stalled out last year, got a bit further this year when traveling and I had only the Vita to play. Easily avoidable, likely will never finish it.
  • Titan Souls - played like an hour, enough to get the gist of the game. Is really cool, but I can tell it's not really for me, and like The Witness I could cheese the game out by using other players' tried-and-true methods to guarantee success instead of struggling to figure it out for myself, and I just don't see the reward in doing so for this particular game.
  • Hearthstone - I like card games but am too poor to have all the good stuff and too ADHD to get as good as I actually could be at them smdh
ImageImageImage

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:11 am

But...
This one's too young