[Book Thread] Whatcha reading?

Good posts, good friends. (General Offtopic)
!saak
🎜 joie de vivre 🎜
Semper Pie

[Book Thread] Whatcha reading?

Post by !saak (?) » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:57 am

So I just finished reading the Three Body Problem by Chinese author Cixin Liu and gosh what a ride. :D
I was initially excited about reading it cuz it delves into the Chinese Cultural Revolution and I hardly knew anything about it and uses scifi as a lens to look at that. On top of that it's a Chinese novel, granted I read the translated (English) version, but it comes from a culture that I don't read many stories from.

As the story built it became bigger and bigger, and it eventually ended up doing what I think sci fi should be doing: present ideas and technologies so big and universe changing that leave you mesmerized for days after finishing the story.

I'm still reeling from the impact, again: what a wild ride. I'm probably going to Christmas gift myself the other two novels in the series cuz I'm dying to find out how it wraps up.

Yesterday I started reading Ancillary Justice. I'm only like 30 pages in but already it offers ideas and characters that are very much out there. Super excited about this one too.

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Re: [Book Thread] Whatcha reading?

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:54 am

Books are for nerds.

I haven't read in a while. Last book I touched was You Shall Know Our Velocity by some person and what I know about the plot is there are two guys doing a round-the-globe trip because they need to spend $32.000

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:55 pm

Hvejsel Sogn 1949
But...
This one's too young

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:07 pm

I'm almost done with The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss. I've got the second book ready to go, but he hasn't finished writing the trilogy yet :gonkity:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Auxiliatrix

Post by Auxiliatrix (?) » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:19 pm

I'm currently delving into the world of "Absurdist Fiction". I've already read Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut, and right now I'm reading Franz Kafka's The Trial. Not only is there great situational humor in both books, but they add in some pretty interesting deeper themes underneath the absurdism.

I love this genre. :-I

Life in one image. Interpret as you wish.

Durandal
Faithful Students

Post by Durandal (?) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:55 pm

I'm halfway through The Palace Job, which is basically Ocean's 11 reimagined as a D&D campaign. Not too shabby
Octavia wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:07 pm
I'm almost done with The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss. I've got the second book ready to go, but he hasn't finished writing the trilogy yet :gonkity:
Heard a lot of good things about this and it's on my shelf. I'll probably tackle it next

Highbrow Dash
But why would you post such a thing?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Highbrow Dash (?) » Tue May 01, 2018 4:43 pm

I just finished The Name of the Rose, by Umberto Eco. It was a really good mystery with some great insight into 14th century life. I definitely recommend it if you don't mind reading about monks going on and on about whether Jesus was poor or not :-P

Durandal
Faithful Students

Post by Durandal (?) » Wed May 02, 2018 10:26 pm

Just started The Name of the Wind and yep I am totally hooked by Rothfuss' ways of turning a phrase
The Waystone was his, just as the third silence was his. This was appropriate, as it was the greatest silence of the three, wrapping the others inside itself. It was deep and wide as autumn’s ending. It was heavy as a great river-smooth stone. It was the patient, cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die.
Kote sat in front of the fire and ate his meal mechanically, as if he were simply finding a place inside himself to keep the food.
All the scars were smooth and silver, streaking him like lightning, like lines of gentle remembering. The flare of flame revealed them all briefly, old wounds and new. All the scars were smooth and silver except one.
The fire flickered and died. Sleep met him like a lover in an empty bed.

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:53 pm

Gunnar Wille - Ritas Jul
But...
This one's too young

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar (?) » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:05 pm

The Wide, Carnivorous Sky - John Langan

Good and leisurely horror.