General gaming superthread

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

ixnay
The Great and Powerful Trixsters

General gaming superthread

Post by ixnay (?) » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:59 pm

Post here to talk about games in general. Feel free to make new threads for games/events/topics if you want to have more in-depth conversations about them!

:party:

I'll start by saying Wolfenstein II is rad, shooting nazis never gets old

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Re: General gaming superthread

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:56 am

I beat Wolfenstein 2 yesterday and it ruled.

Jill
it's the super maria sisters super show!!!
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:03 am

mario odyssey is pretty good. it is not without flaws though:
  • most of the things you can capture are slippery as hell to control
  • mario's maximum movement speed is handled very strangely and the ways you can achieve+maintain it are cryptic and nonsensical
  • some of the post-game level design is just bad
  • the smash peach amiibo is basically an infinite health cheat
  • it really sucks to have to look all over the place to find the last 2-3 kingdom coins
  • there are some moons that you obtain by finding a hint in one kingdom and using it in another. it would be much more intuitive/less confusing if these moons were listed under the kingdom they're found in rather than the one the hint is found in
  • after you beat the game, they allow you to just buy as many moons as you can afford with gold coins. i feel like this kind of devalues the process of actually finding them

Zylo
Iron Pony
Rainbow Racers
Location: Probably being lazy somewhere, just like Rainbow Dash.

Post by Zylo (?) » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:04 am

I think I'm addicted to Oxygen Not Included. It's a strange game that is fun and at times frustrating when you run out of some resource after building what seemed like the perfect colony. As a bonus it has a pretty cool hand-drawn looking art style for the game graphics.

Factory Factory
nice box
Semper Pie

Post by Factory Factory (?) » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:24 am

There is no guarantee that the wizard selling you that bag full of magic sand is wearing pants underneath his robes.

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:23 am

I played a video game once. It was cool.
ImageImage
Image3DS Friend Code: 2852-6885-2752

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Dropping tears does not always mean the sadness.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:18 am

Trying to crush Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold under my heel before I move on to EO5, but having a pugilist that breaks legs by punching them is quite the siren song.

Also the story mode party does not have its shit together, as numerous people have noticed through the years. Flavio is not as reliable at landing statuses as Chloe needs, and without that it's on the Fafnir's one burst of damage and that isn't nearly enough.

And yes I've leveled Curb Attack Up. It's at 20 out of 10 ffs.
:snoop: Image :snoop:

Daikatuna

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:23 pm

Bubsy is out.

It's here, apparently. And on Halloween. How appropriate.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:59 pm

Daikatuna wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:23 pm
Bubsy is out.

It's here, apparently. And on Halloween. How appropriate.
What could pawsibly go wrong?

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:14 pm

I do appreciate that the Bubsy twitter retweeted the Bubsy x Wolfenstein fanart, Bubsy canonically punches nazis now

I still imagine the game is going to play more like Giana Sisters than the old Bubsy games though, unless they've drastically changed things

Also Mario Odyssey is still very good and I am very glad I did not get spoiled about the bits immediately before the credits and immediately after them.

Daikatuna

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:19 pm

I wonder if this might be a decent game. Like, a decent Bubsy.

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:35 pm

Daikatuna wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:19 pm
I wonder if this might be a decent game. Like, a decent Bubsy.
Stop talking nonsense.
ImageImage

Daikatuna

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:35 pm

But what if, Quanta?

WHAT IF?!

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:40 pm

No. I refuse to speculate on something so foolish.
ImageImage

Daikatuna

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:45 pm

You must face your fears head on, Quanta.

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:50 pm

No. I bought Digimon World Next Order, so I must train my Mons, who must constantly use the bathroom.
ImageImage

Daikatuna

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:54 pm

You can't keep running away from Bubsy your whole life.

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:55 pm

I played Bubsy once. Never again.
ImageImage

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:38 pm

Looking at the GOG screenshots (because they're running a promotion during launch week where you get the soundtrack), Bubsy is still completely visually indistinct from all the backgrounds - and the game might be slower paced than the originals, but that's still going to cause some problems.

The real problem appears to be content, both the GOG review and the Steam reviews call out the same thing:
To be honest, I was expecting this game to be a trash fire of bad choices and design flaws. But, to my utter surprise, it wasn't. Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back doesn't evolve anything in anyway. It's basic as all hell, but functional. It's not hard by any standard, but it's fun to collect a whole bunch of things. Aside from one gigantic ♥♥♥♥ing issue, there's really nothing wrong with Bubsy. It's tough to try and write a serious review about this game because it's so bland and uninteresting. The least I can really say about Bubsy: The Willies Strike Back is that it exist.

The most I can say about this game, however, is that it's impressively short. Generally speaking, I judge the total playtime value from the price of the game. For example, if a game is $10, I expect at least 10 hours worth of gameplay. By this logic, Bubsy should have around 30 hours of gameplay. What I got was three bosses, a handful of levels, 108 minutes of gameplay, and undirected rage. The game doesn't even conclude well either. You beat the final boss, get the golden fleece, and then credits. It hurts even more since after the second boss, the game actually got kind of fun. Not impressively fun, but the level design got better and I was actually enjoying myself. Bubsy would benefit greatly from a sort of level building tool. Even that wouldn't justify the price though. As it stands, the price tag is way too ♥♥♥♥ing high for what's offered.

This might make me sound ♥♥♥♥ing crazy, but I actually want more of Bubsy. Bubsy controls well enough, and it's fun to chain bouncing and gliding off of enemies. The secrets start out very blatant, but eventually ramp up in challenge and hidden . . . ness? Bubsy's dialogue is as painful as ever, but the voice actor does his best. This is a nice intro to a much longer game that doesn't exist. I would recommend Bubsy if not for the frankly insane price and abysmally short length. Sorry Bubsy, but you can ♥♥♥♥ off.
It's something I might throw a few bucks at in a sale or bundle, but neo-Accolade giving it a RRP of $30 is just insulting, particularly given the existence of Sonic Mania for a cheaper price tag with more content.

Daikatuna

Post by Daikatuna (?) » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:42 pm

Yeah, i kind of expected something like this. Bland and probably short. The price is criminal, though.

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:35 pm

I'm not surprised it's short given how fast the development cycle seems to have been (they just announced this thing a few weeks ago didn't they?) but it seems like the asking price is pretty absurd for what the package is. I do prickle a little bit at that review's insistence on a $1/hr value proposition, though--I've used the same heuristic for "was this purchase Worth It?" but I think treating it as like a codified rule in that way is a pretty shitty way to look at things. Most of my favorite, most valuable game experiences come in formats that aren't economical at a $1 and the range of genres and styles that can actually support dozens of hours of gameplay are pretty specific and limited. Bubsy isn't worth the price tag of course, because you can get tons of just-okay platforming from all sorts of games that have more content and more reasonable price points, but other games can be.

These are all points people have talked to death of course but they're still worth saying. :pinkieshrug:

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:01 pm

Weird Autumn wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:35 pm
I'm not surprised it's short given how fast the development cycle seems to have been (they just announced this thing a few weeks ago didn't they?)
the first trailer showed up back around June, iirc. It was close to E3, I think

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:23 pm

Aria Genisi wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:01 pm
the first trailer showed up back around June, iirc. It was close to E3, I think
Oh whoops that was a brain fart, I meant to say "a few months ago," which yeah that's about what I thought.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:39 pm

I think development would have started as soon as they got enough sales data from Bubsy Two-Fur to deem it commercially viable.

But of course, Bubsy Two-Fur is a cheap retro re-release. During a sale, it's something very easy to pick up as a gag gift, or because you want to find out why this series is so infamous (though you won't, because Bubsy 3D isn't included - even if Bubsy 1 and 2 do contain a lot of examples of things not to do in a 2D platformer).

$30 (and the current sale price of $20) is outside of joke territory for most people. At that price, you have to be genuinely good - and yeah, applying the $/hr heuristic too strictly is flawed, but at the same time, I don't think it's unfair to say that there might be a problem if your game comes off significantly worse than a movie ticket by that metric.

Diamondheart

Post by Diamondheart (?) » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:37 pm

I'm currently playing Pokemon Sun, as I want to get Pokemon Ultra Moon on the 17th. I have to say I'm really liking it so far, so much more than I did X, which was really flat and boring, even if that gen did introduce my favorite pokemon.

I also just got a Switch, mainly because I can afford one right now and plus the idea of trying to get one during the holiday season didn't really appeal to me. I got Fire Emblem Warriors for it, and I'm looking at Splatoon 2 and Breath of the Wild as potential buys (Not really a fan of non-paper mario games, so no Odyssey).

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:31 am

Speaking of Ultra Sun/Moon, new trailer:

Holy shit they finally brought back the Battle Frontier? And you get to fight every evil team leader ?

Juju&Lulu

Post by Juju&Lulu (?) » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:36 am

So yeah new trailer for USUM is out. I'm digging Team Rocket's new logo.

Also it's cool to see Giovanni with Mewtwo as a shout out to the anime

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:54 pm

Captain Rufus
Faithful Students

Post by Captain Rufus (?) » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:44 pm

I just got one of these: http://www.lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=23

So now I have all the Atari 8 bit power I can handle. CAST IN THE NAME OF GOD, YE NOT GUILTY.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:44 pm

Super Mario Odyssey - bonus level after collecting 500 moons:
So, Culmina Crater is kicking my butt a lot, but at least I'm earning a lot of coins with each failed attempt.

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:07 pm

Yeah, the Darker Side of the moon is basically this game's version of Grandmaster Galaxy/Champion's Road. I actually got pretty far on my first attempt, but then I dove into a pit like a fool.

Jill
it's the super maria sisters super show!!!
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:49 pm

it's incredibly easy compared to what was in prior games. they just frontloaded a ton of easy platforming before the parts that punish you with instant death and make you start alllll the way over. it only took me like 3 attempts to beat but i still loathed the hell out of that place

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:11 pm

Zylo wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:04 am
I think I'm addicted to Oxygen Not Included. It's a strange game that is fun and at times frustrating when you run out of some resource after building what seemed like the perfect colony. As a bonus it has a pretty cool hand-drawn looking art style for the game graphics.
I picked this up at random last night, and it's pretty fun. I'm not sure how much replayability it will have, but the art style is good, and it has enough different mechaincs for at least the early/mid game. The pipes/vents seem confusing, though. Kinda wish there were better instructions on how things are supposed to work.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:55 pm

By the way, details on the Hitman GOTY expansion are out.

Releases on Nov. 7th.
New players can pick up the whole game for $60, old players can get the expansion for $20.
Four new bonus missions that form a new storyline.
A clown bat that plays random sound effects every time you use it, and a clown costume.
Also a cowboy suit.
A chance to replay any Elusive Targets you missed!
New conditions for custom contracts.
Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:59 pm

Looks like PC is getting Nioh in a few days, so the only dark souls-likes we're missing now are bloodborne and demon souls.

come on, From! :twonk:
ImageImageImageImage

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:54 am

I was completely unprepared for the kind of game Digimon World: Next Order is turning out to be. Imagine Pokemon, only they expect you to have a full team of endgame Mons with perfect stats by Viridian Forest. Not that it's bad or anything--I'm actually quite enjoying it--but it does feel somewhat poorly paced. Like, the end-chapter boss (and the boss before that) are both Mega-level Digimon that can one-shot your two Mons even as Megas themselves (unless you get the Defend ability first, which is part of your Tamer's ability progression rather than just given to you right away). If you look up the stat requirements for even the weaker Megas they seem pretty absurd given you're probably training your Mons in the Training Centre where it's an hour of in-game time spent for +18(0) points in a stat depending on whether it's STR/WIS/SPD/etc. or HP/MP.

What you're actually supposed to do is use the training hall to get your two Rookies and then go out and beat up stuff in the world, since stat gains from beating up Mons that are challenging for them ups their stats way faster than the training hall ever will, but the game doesn't really explain this to you.

I guess my expectation was that the game would emulate the anime in terms of its progression, where you and your Mons would gradually grow together until endgame where they'd both be in Mega-form all the time, but it's ended up being more of an open-world game, which I'm perfectly okay with. I just wish it explained itself better.
ImageImage

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:15 am

stop with the playstation exclusives, I'm too poor for a ps4 :negative:
ImageImageImageImage

Lorce
μ
Night Mares

Post by Lorce (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:43 am

Blizzcon announcements were mostly expected - new expansions/characters, but they also announced official Classic WoW servers. There were actually quite a bit of private Classic servers, but from what i heard they tend to have increased exp rates and stuff like that to lessen the grind. They did actually have a meeting with one group running a private server last year, so it will be interesting to see how Blizz will do it and if they'll modernise it at all, also how many people will actually play it rather than just checking it out. :-I

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:04 am

Jill wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:49 pm
it's incredibly easy compared to what was in prior games. they just frontloaded a ton of easy platforming before the parts that punish you with instant death and make you start alllll the way over. it only took me like 3 attempts to beat but i still loathed the hell out of that place
To start with I was having trouble getting past the lava bubble bits then after that bit clicked, I kept fucking up with timing/analogue stick usage with the bird. Got past that bit and was kind of disappointed but also kind of glad it was the final gotcha.

On about 520 Moons, so only 479 to go!

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:32 pm

I'm playing Super Mario Odyssey and I feel dumb because there's this one check point flag I can't seem to get to in Cascade Kingdom. I just feel like there's something super obvious I'm supposed to do to get to it, but I'm blanking on what that might be and it's really killing my enjoyment because my OCD demands that I GET ALL THE THINGS and there's three of those purple coins over there near it.