Channel Awesome is an absolutely godawful horror show

Old Mare Yells At Cloud. (News, Events, Philosophy)
Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Channel Awesome is an absolutely godawful horror show

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:02 am

NOTE: Due to this whole ordeal escalating pretty significantly, the thread has been moved to the Soapbox. There is discussion of some increasingly serious shit ahead, be warned.

Also, DO NOT visit the Channel Awesome forums for any reason, as there have been trolls posting severely messed up gore pictures. Don't tempt fate, don't try it.

-----------------------

This warrants its own thread, methinks. :ponynet:

Channel Awesome is that place Doug Walker AKA the Nostalgia Critic started in order to host his videos and those of creators like Linkara, Spoony, Lindsay Ellis, Angry Joe, and others. Back in its hayday (geez, they started what, 10 years ago? how time flies) it was one of those few places outright catering to nerd video content in a big way (similiar to places like ScrewAttack). A lot of the "angry internet reviewer" craze was started and cultivated there. Things were exciting since Youtube wasn't a great place to host these kinda things (Blip.TV was used until it went under) and good production values kinda took a backseat to the raw energy the producers had. Basically, it was a simpler time where a lot of folks online were teenagers and found it exciting to see video content online made by people like them for people like them.

Now several of Channel Awesome's former creators have come forward to discuss their grievances with the site, particularly the management and behind the scenes bullshit they were subject to. The impression of the silly happy bunch of folks making videos together wasn't all that accurate - A lot of the creators were friends with each other, but not friends with the management at all. There was a host of terrible shit that went down, from firing people for the pettiest reasons over triviliazing abuse and misogyny to generally being utterly incompetent at managing a site and its creators. The whole ordeal is sobering to say the least, and a huge example of how not to go about leading your indie business, especially not after you hit it big and people rightfully expect some kind of competence from you.

-------------------

:sweetielarm: (WARNING: Some of the issues discussed in the document revolve around things such as sexism, sexual abuse, rape jokes and some generally fucked up behaviour. Proceed with caution) :sweetielarm:

The Full Document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WZF ... mxroimnosh

The Summarized Version: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1d7U ... Uo/preview#

The documents are being accessed a lot at the moment, so if you have issues loading them, that might be why.

-----------------------

Channel Awesome, who usually sit public drama out, already made this non-apology on their Twitter:

Fun times. :flimflam:
Image /// Image /// Image

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Re: Channel Awesome is a massive shitshow

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:05 pm

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:11 pm

Like, there's non-apologies, but then there's the line "we're sorry you felt that way" that makes me go all :unenthused: in record time

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:44 pm

I'm amazed that Doug doesn't own the copyright to the Nostalgia Critic, apparently having signed it over to Michaud. Like, wow.

Ironic that he made fun of "The Room", given some of the stuff written about the making of the anniversary special feels like it came straight out of "The Disaster Artist".

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:50 pm

That was a read alright. :starity:

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:21 pm

I read the thread before starting to read the document. Working my way through the document now, every time one of the grievances is detailed all I hear is "We sincerely regret you felt that way"
👉👉🥜🏠

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:40 pm

I never watched any of their content or really even heard of them before now :pinkieshrug:

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:50 pm

They're a bit too cheesey for my tastes but what I'd often do is find the bad movies they'd reviewed for inspiration on which bad movies would be good for a bad movie night.
👉👉🥜🏠

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:52 pm

More like Channel Awful am I right??? :v:

Seriously though, fuck them. :rainbert:
ImageImageImage

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:55 pm

I want to be down with the whole thing of wearing silly costumes and doing silly voices but I can't bring myself not to cringe or want to say "get on with the thing you're supposed to be talking about"

which is completely beside the whole point that their employers were shitty. Or maybe not? I have to wonder now how much of the stuff that I felt was out of place was down to them being creatively stifled by their management?
Last edited by West Filly on Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
👉👉🥜🏠

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:00 pm

A lot of the former Channel Awesome contributors have gone on to improve their craft and really make good shit on their own

I especially recommend you check out Lindsay Ellis, she is very insightful, fun and awesome: https://www.youtube.com/user/chezapoctu ... _polymer=1

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:01 pm

Fizzbuzz wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:40 pm
I never watched any of their content or really even heard of them before now :pinkieshrug:
The only Nostalgia Critic I've ever seen was the one he did on MLP:FiM.
ImageImageImageImageImage

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:02 pm

Perrydotto wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:00 pm
A lot of the former Channel Awesome contributors have gone on to improve their craft and really make good shit on their own

I especially recommend you check out Lindsay Ellis, she is very insightful, fun and awesome: https://www.youtube.com/user/chezapoctu ... _polymer=1
She has been on an absolute roll recently with her videos. She's currently doing a look back at The Hobbit trilogy, and her most recent video on it had an interview with an actor who played one of the Dwarves.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:42 pm

The part with the tribute to Jewwario is especially aggravating. Like wow, Michaud is a sociopath.

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:23 pm

Perrydotto wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:00 pm

I discovered Lindsay recently (with her Bright essay), and while I’m enjoying her earlier stuff as Nostalgia Chick, it hasn’t inspired me to explore the rest of CA. And maybe that’s just as well?

Auxiliatrix

Post by Auxiliatrix (?) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:04 pm

Some of the really screwed-up bits were quite painful to read. :deflated:

The ex-contributors are owed more than a non-apology, but I'm not sure if Channel Awesome is going to give it to them.

Life in one image. Interpret as you wish.

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:20 pm

It's definitely not going to happen. Admitting liability exposes someone to legal risk. Also, it's psychologically uncomfortable to the individual delivering the apology, particularly if they'd have to be sincere in becoming aware of themselves as a perpetrator of persistent and lengthy distress to others. Can you imagine suddenly being aware that you personally had caused this? When said individual is clearly self centered, it's the only person whose psychological discomfort would have any bearing on whether this awareness or apology happens. It won't happen, not this side of any court cases at least.
👉👉🥜🏠

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:26 pm

West Filly wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:20 pm
Admitting liability exposes someone to legal risk.
And now I suddenly realize why it's rare to hear genuine apology from public figures (aside from the other thing you mentioned). I wouldn't be surprised if most public apologies are written by their lawyers.

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:28 pm

Some countries (including parts of Canada, unsurprisingly) have laws which forbid the use of an apology as an admission of liability in legal cases. It's a practical idea because if even one apology defuses a situation before lawyers get involved, then that has saved a whole world of trouble.
👉👉🥜🏠

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:34 pm

And I won't let go of the other point in what I said. You won't believe the kind of mental gymnastics people will unconsciously perform in order to protect themselves from becoming consciously aware of uncomfortable truths. "I have persistently caused discomfort to many people over a prolonged period of time" is something a person's mind might want to protect themselves from actually realising. It's part of the reason why assholes often get worse and crazier before showing any remorse: the closer they are to being cornered by the thing they're avoiding, the more desperate the attempts to avoid the truth become.
👉👉🥜🏠

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:56 pm

I don't think a person who's capable of the kind of shit Michaud has pulled could ever be sorry, anyway.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:10 am

Pocket wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:56 pm
I don't think a person who's capable of the kind of shit Michaud has pulled could ever be sorry, anyway.
if said person is the kinda guy to tell someone not to honor their friend because "you don't get enough views, loser", then yeah I agree.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:36 am

Auxiliatrix

Post by Auxiliatrix (?) » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:42 pm

I hope this doesn't quietly go away until some sort of change happens, whatever that may be. We've already seen a few producers leave Channel Awesome, but I'm not sure if anything will go further than that.

The increased attention (such as the article you posted above) definitely helps.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:21 pm

Apparently since the document was made public, about 10k people have unsubscribed from Channel Awesome on Youtube. No idea if that will mean anything to them, but it's a thing

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:29 pm

There should be a special youtube play button made of compacted and polished poop just for channels that tank after a PR disaster.
👉👉🥜🏠

Auxiliatrix

Post by Auxiliatrix (?) » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:53 pm

West Filly wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:29 pm
There should be a special youtube play button made of compacted and polished poop just for channels that tank after a PR disaster.
Mail them a statue of the YouTube pause button.

Channels that show steps towards redemption get mailed a YouTube buffering symbol.

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:05 am

Auxiliatrix wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:53 pm
Mail them a statue of the YouTube pause button.

Channels that show steps towards redemption get mailed a YouTube buffering symbol.
They send you a plaque of the Youtube "Play" logo when you reach a certain number of subscribers, so maybe crashing and burning could be the Youtube ":-/" logo. :v:
ImageImage
Image3DS Friend Code: 2852-6885-2752

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:56 am

And yet he continues to associate with them.

It's getting harder and harder to avoid the temptation to get on his case about it.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Auxiliatrix

Post by Auxiliatrix (?) » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:59 pm

Pocket wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:56 am
And yet he continues to associate with them.

It's getting harder and harder to avoid the temptation to get on his case about it.
Most of the producers who continue to associate with Channel Awesome, excluding Chris Stuckmann (who recently spoke out on Twitter about the situation), appear to be mostly quiet, so the fact that he's talking about it in general is surprising to me.

Right now, I can't see much benefit being provided to those who stay with Channel Awesome. Heck, it seemed like there wasn't much benefit before all of this anyway.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:00 pm

That's the first time I've ever heard Tony Goldmark described as "mostly quiet". :-P

There was a benefit to being associated with Doug Walker, who was one of the most famous Internet personalities for years. (Or so it seemed at the time; these days the "most famous" YouTubers seem to be people I would never even hear of until they got outed as Nazis or something.) It meant exposure, and sometimes lots of it, at a time when that was about the most anyone could hope to get out of video content. In the days when Blip.tv offered not only sanctuary from the looming specter of copyright bots but a way to monetize views at the same time, you were pretty much either on somebody's website or you weren't anywhere, because Blip was little more than a host for embedded videos.

Granted, the nature of Tony's content (mostly shots of himself talking on location intercut with ride footage videos he got on YouTube and long-lost TV specials) made him more immune to the copyright bots than most, as evidenced when Blip was shut down and he had to migrate to YouTube with the rest of them. And the Channel Awesome website has gotten worse and worse lately. (It's now impossible to actually scroll to the comments section because the page automatically spawns more ads in between, forever. There's a special place in hell for whoever thought that one up.) But he did get a pretty big bump lately from his guest spot on Doug's Sorceror's Apprentice episode.

Even now, though YouTube is such a huge place that getting noticed is practically impossible unless you have connections. I'm kind of hoping most of the former Channel Awesome people plan on banding together and revive the Chez Apocalypse spinoff site, complete with a way for promising up-and-comers to apply for affiliation.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:12 pm

Has anyone said "more like Channel Awful" yet?

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:28 pm

More like Chunder Barfsome
👉👉🥜🏠

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:06 pm

A slew of people are leaving CA now, it's basically like dominoes

Chris Stuckmann left, old time friend of the Walkers Last Angry Geek left, Nast left and more, it's a full-on sinking ship now I suppose

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:08 pm

Also be careful in case you are looking at Twitter for more on this, some assholes are trying to frame it as a "Gamergate success" simply because Folding Ideas guy Dan Olson used to be on CA and has been a target of the Kotaku in Action crowd for a while

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:44 pm

Tony quit today too. Is there literally anyone left besides Doug, Brad, and Angry Joe?

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:44 pm

Long thread.

Auxiliatrix

Post by Auxiliatrix (?) » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:57 pm

I'm not shocked that whatever plans they had for another anniversary are being killed.

(Read the bit in parentheses at the very end.)

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:44 am

:ponynet: "Know what would help this whole thing blow over? Another terrible response!"

http://channelawesome.com/our-response/

:hiii: And we're totally not a misogynistic place. That's why our response only names women.

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:09 am

Fizzbuzz wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:12 pm
Has anyone said "more like Channel Awful" yet?
ToastGhost wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:52 pm
More like Channel Awful am I right??? :v:
Yes. :maud:
ImageImageImage