My Little Pony: A New Generation

Episode, movie, and comic book discussion threads are kept here once they have been released.

Moderators: Wayoshi, Venusy

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Re: G5 My Little Pony Movie (Fall 2021)

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:57 pm

Durandal wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:39 pm
is this going to start the whole "how to hooves work with touchscreens" discussion again? I feel like we've had that once before around here
Resistive touchscreens would work just fine.

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:34 pm

Zipp reminds me G3's Star Catcher, and I'm fine with that .

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:16 am

:sweetielarm: WE GOT PONY SIGN! :sweetielarm:

SigmasonicX

Re: My Little Pony: A New Generation (September 24, 2021)

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:06 am

Very happy to see a mixed race cast for the lead characters, given how white G4 was.

Three women playing the leads have cartoons in their repertoire, with the exception of Vanessa Hudgens. She's mainly working on Netflix Christmas movies now it seems, and I don't know, maybe that pays well, but it seems like they've set it up so that all the lead women are likely to continue on to the TV series. James Marsden has voiced for cartoons before, but he seems most likely to leave.

Phil LaMarr is, of course, a cartoon veteran, so he'll likely stick around. The others in the bottom half seem less likely.

Overall, seems like a good cast that isn't just going for celebrities that don't have animation experience.

The brief clips in the tweet seem nice too.

For the screenplay, Gillian Berrow (GM Berrow) was one of the writers, so that's a G4 writer right there, which is reassuring.

CastletonSnob

Post by CastletonSnob (?) » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:31 am

I have a bit of a concern regarding G5.

The movie will have some relatively high-profile names in the cast. Will Hasbro or whoever is in charge of G5 be able to get them to reprise their roles for the show?

Liska

Post by Liska (?) » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:53 pm

I'm looking forward to this. With the screenshots and the brief glimpses from the cast reveal video, this is shaping up to be really cute.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:12 pm

"Alphabittle" gets my vote for "most difficult first name to localize."

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:16 pm

CastletonSnob wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:31 am
The movie will have some relatively high-profile names in the cast. Will Hasbro or whoever is in charge of G5 be able to get them to reprise their roles for the show?
Hasbro probably could if they really wanted to, but I expect we'll see at least a few roles recast for the TV series, unless Hasbro really wants to drop lots of money on it.

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:01 am

Liska

Post by Liska (?) » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:19 pm

The VA for Sunny in the cast reveal video also spoils it if you pay attention to her outfit.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:11 am

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Re: My Little Pony: A New Generation (September 24, 2021) (TRAILER NOW!)

Post by Octavia (?) » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:04 pm

You bet your ass I'm gonna watch this
ImageImageImageImageImage

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Re: My Little Pony: A New Generation (September 24, 2021) (TRAILER NOW!)

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:35 pm

An actual preview:

I hope there'll be at least some explanation of what changed between FiM and now, like how FiM opened with the myth explaining what happened to Luna 1000 years before then, and maybe the upcoming TV series will fill in further details like how FiM covered Equestria's past.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Re: My Little Pony: A New Generation

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:57 pm

The movie releases on Netflix tomorrow at midnight Pacific, so unless someone posts here in the next seven hours, from here on out will be discussion of the movie. Welcome to the dawn of generation 5! :party:

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:09 am

That was a pretty decent start. I don't think I'll know how I feel about the new generation until the series airs, but the movie hit the right tone, the humor was good, and the pacing worked.

There were a few moments I felt the background music was... overly aggressive? And even with the obvious tech boost, I'm not sure how I feel about the giant robot. On the other hand, I was worried the modern pony world was going to revolve around everyone's smartphones, and that wasn't as much of an issue.

Izzy is still the biggest personality of the main team, but I was surprised Zipp came across as likeable as she did. It's unclear how two princesses and a sheriff will be full-time team members, but I guess if they can run across Equestria in, like, three hours, they can make it work.

The magical conceit of this series appears to be aiming for a clean break from G4 from this point onward, which is okay, I guess, but if the whole, "What happened?" question never gets addressed, I feel like it'll hang over the new series for me. I want them to have the freedom to tell new stories, but there's so much history out there. Again, something for the series to handle, not this movie.

On balance, it was a good way to get interest flowing for a new series, and now begins the long ponyless winter. :sweetielarm:

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:41 am

It was fun. that ending climax was really... really stupid though.

Wasn't even a good looking giant robot

Like the characters quite a bit though.

PonyHag714
Here comes the helmet!

Post by PonyHag714 (?) » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:33 pm

I enjoyed the movie. I think Pony is in good hands going forward. :allears:
Image ("Don't try to reform me, Hag, because I'm made of cold stone.")

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:02 pm

So I just got done watching it, and I really enjoyed it, overall.

The movie keeps a quick pace, for better and for worse. It generally works, particularly with some good ol' montages to speed things along, but if you were the type to ever be bugged by how the world was as big or as small as it needed to be for the story's sake in FiM, then that might bug you here as well. Speaking of which:
SlateSlabrock wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:09 am
It's unclear how two princesses and a sheriff will be full-time team members, but I guess if they can run across Equestria in, like, three hours, they can make it work.
While this is basically another way of stating the same point, the way it was put here did make me think that Equestria (or at least the civilized part of it) really is much smaller now. There's only two cities (highly advanced vs. old Equestria's tech level, at least) and whatever kind of a settlement Bridlewood is. I can't help but look at it all and wonder what kind of calamity must have befallen Equestria between FiM and now. It's territory that I hope the upcoming TV series covers eventually. The movie definitely leaves a lot of the mysteries of the past in place, though at least none of them feel like plot holes or anything.

My grumbling in this regard is, of course, stuff that 99% of viewers will likely not be concerned about, and that's a point in the movie's favor. It does a great job keeping FiM's fun and sense of wonder while promising new stories with a lovable new cast. I just hope the TV series follows through.

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:03 pm

Gonna :ponydrugs: :ponydrugs: :ponydrugs: :ponydrugs: :ponydrugs: :ponydrugs: :ponydrugs: :ponydrugs: tomorrow.
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:36 am

I've watched the movie yesterday. It didn't blew my socks off and it wasn't bad either.
My current feeling towards the movie is "just fine".
Except for Sunny, Izzy and Hitch, the other "main" characters were less notable. Especially Zipp was blander than she should have been in my opinion.

As much as I wanted to know what happened to create the divide between the pony kinds I could ignore it for a while.
This movie is obviously a soft reboot attempt to create a new viewership base, so I'm not too harsh about it.

Also there is a severe lack of yaks, which makes the movie objectively a 0/10 :hoers:
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:04 pm

Aramek wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:03 pm
Gonna :ponydrugs: :ponydrugs: :ponydrugs: :ponydrugs: :ponydrugs: :ponydrugs: :ponydrugs: :ponydrugs: tomorrow.
It was great!
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

LingEarth

Post by LingEarth (?) » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:34 am

OK, new pony movie! :crack:
  • Sunny's coloring keeps making my brain go "Scootaloo!" :v:
  • I like Izzy so far. She has Pinkie Pie's energy without just being a clone of Pinkie. :)
  • "THIS IS HOW A UNICORN WALKS" That was the only song that was remotely catchy; I didn't think any of the songs were all that great tbh. :pinkieshrug:
  • It was totally predictable that the magic of friendship, rather than the crystals, would be the real solution, but I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. (Do we still need spoiler tags for the movie? Eh, whatever.)
  • I wonder if the three foals who appear at the end will be this generation's main child characters, like the CMCs. Hmm...
Overall, I loved it. Great start to the new generation. :allears:

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:31 pm

The movie was cute. :3:

I liked the G4 MLP movie better, but that one didn't need to spend time introducing the entire cast because we already knew them from the TV show.

Durandal
Faithful Students

Post by Durandal (?) » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:05 pm

RIP G4

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:03 pm

lmao

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:10 pm

Forgot to post this here.

This was pretty cute. I have to agree with the others that as a standalone movie, this was pretty middling, but given we know for a fact that there's stuff coming after this, I thought it did a decent enough job setting things up. The characters were all fun enough, though they stayed a bit more surface level than I would have liked. There wasn't even something like Twilight and Pinkie's fight in the 2017 movie. Pipp especially lost out in terms of character focus; ironic considering people assumed the "main three" were Sunny, Izzy, and Pipp from the initial merchandise.

The biggest issue that stood out to me is that this felt small. Even just in terms of how we saw Sunny skating around a pretty tiny area in the first song. Though in a way, I'm pretty glad there wasn't like a ticking time bomb that required the crystals to be reunited. The fail condition, as far as they knew, was things remaining as bad as they were, which I think is a good lesson for kids. Things staying the same is as valid a motivation as things getting worse. Between the small scale and the character focus issue, I get the strong sense that they're deliberately holding things back for the series. It can be argued that Friendship is Magic starting out with an ancient alicorn princess and a god of chaos as season bookend foes was to its overall detriment.

Another major oddity that stood out is how little it took for Sunny and Izzy to start out on their quest. We didn't even learn why Izzy was there until well into the film.

The songs were all pretty solid. I was especially surprised that Ken Jeong is actually a pretty decent singer.

Spoiler comments
Early impressions claimed there were no politics in this film, but I don't know, Sprout the policeman immediately turning into a dictator once he's given power and everyone going along with him because he says there's danger feels like a statement. There's also Izzy's line about Hitch's badge creating an unhealthy power dynamic. Plus, the 2017 leaks showing that they were looking at the Trump kids (among others) as inspiration for the villains makes it hard for me to not see a bit of that in Sprout.

The settings were neat and the set pieces were fun. The movie wasn't particularly haha funny, but I did get a kick out of the balloon guy's adventure and the pegasi just deciding to arrest the royal family, and it was generally charming.

As for the future, I'm curious to see how permanent Sunny's alicorn form is. The wings and horn are see-through, so it could be like a temporary power up. I'm kind of surprised they didn't explicitly give the earth ponies some kind of magic, given that's been a common complaint all throughout FiM. The stained glass window, the crystals, and fact that all three shown cities still existed before friendship fell apart, and there was a transport system between them, definitely raises questions about the timeline. Especially the fact that Twilight isn't present on the stained glass. The intro sequence goes out of its way to bring up the question of why the split happened, only to not answer it. I have to imagine the series intends to address that, along with what happened to the non-pony species.

Oh, and the footprints at the end. Is that like a plot hook, or just a visual metaphor?

Overall, I'm looking forward to more, so a job well done, I suppose.

EDIT: Oh dang. About the footprints at the end, I didn't even notice until it was pointed out that those are the earth pony filly's footprints. It shows that earth ponies have magic now!

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:55 pm

Twilight's cutie mark was very much there on the stained glass window, at least. It's enough to where I wonder what happened to her. This is probably way off of whatever will have actually happened, but I wonder if Twilight Sparkle died or otherwise removed herself from the world, and instead of appointing a successor, she found some way to make the sun and moon move themselves and hoped that the ponies of Equestria would be better off looking after themselves instead of hailing her first.

Durandal
Faithful Students

Post by Durandal (?) » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:44 am

I'd like to take a moment to appreciate the little detail in this scene because they 1000% perfectly captured the look of the tangled, matted hair of an old brushie pony toy