General gaming superthread

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Strangething
Eventually that's going to stop working, Twilight.

Re: General gaming superthread

Post by Strangething (?) » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:27 pm

So who else has fallen down the Valheim rabbit hole?

My life revolves around carrots and copper mining now.
The poster formerly known as Strangepony.
I do nothing but play Warframe and Overwatch now. :-I

Scuderia
Tired,
but
Strong
Fashion Queens

Post by Scuderia (?) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:25 am

Thinkikng about Him. :allears:

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:50 pm

It's me. I'm the guy with no life.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:27 pm

I still haven’t gotten past Styx so I’ve fallen off a little... ok, a lot :-I

Congrats!

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:23 pm

Trying out Dreaming Sarah. Kind of reminds me of a cross between old school PC puzzle platformers and Yume Nikki. It’s interesting but very easy to get lost in it. I’ve been going in a loop for about an hour.

diribigal
Special Flowers

Post by diribigal (?) » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:20 pm

Madeline wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:23 pm
Trying out Dreaming Sarah. Kind of reminds me of a cross between old school PC puzzle platformers and Yume Nikki. It’s interesting but very easy to get lost in it. I’ve been going in a loop for about an hour.
I think that's on my wishlist or I got it on sale. Thanks for the summary; I'll have to give it a look.
ImageImageImage Very math.

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:43 am

Elite: Dangerous is exactly the kind of game that appeals to me, but I can't explain how.
ImageImage Image Image

;) ❤️ :twasnothin: ❤️ :fancyhat:

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:19 pm

ImageImage Image Image

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:27 pm

Just finished Genesis Noir and ... it is quite something. Surreal and abstract.

It's described as a point and click adventure, but there aren't many puzzles; it's more of an interactive narrative.

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Tue May 18, 2021 5:37 am

ImageImage Image Image

Jill
it's the super maria sisters super show!!!
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Tue May 18, 2021 6:59 am

don't emulate our games, but give us your emulators so we can use them to sell our games to you again and again

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:01 pm

Not that long ago i played sunless sea.

I have never played a game so littered with purple prose that I just straight up didn't even read any of the text boxes.

I didn't play it long.

Also it had a poorly designed interface that should've been sorted out considering how long it's been on the market.

The only positive is I got it for free.
ImageImage Image Image

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:25 pm

Sunless Sea’s how I got introduced to the Fallen London setting, which is a fascinating piece of worldbuilding but … sometimes I’m in the mood for elliptical purple prose and other times not, y’know?

Also for Sunless Sea it felt to me like the gameplay didn’t mesh well with the wide-open promise of the writing. It didn’t feel like the right sort of game for the setting. Fallen London is a much better vehicle for the world IMO. I haven’t tried Sunless Skies so I don’t know if that’s any better.

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:17 pm

I have a pretty low tolerance for purple prose because I just want to understand what i'm clicking and what the game is telling me, not how big the thesaurus the dev used is.

I think the most telling example of the games overabundance of purple prose was having "perhaps" instead of "yes" in a box, because the devs are that up their asses. Purple prose is especially frustrating when you don't actually understand what the game is saying.

Add to this like the large ammount of pointless messages, the horrible interface used when you're in port, the game constantly (and i mean constantly) telling you that there's something waiting for you at port.

I don't know anything about Fallen London or Sunless Skies, but after this I have zero reason to trust the dev on anything.

The game is also a roguelike, which i didn't know going in and I'm going to hold that against it.

As said, only positive was that it's free.
ImageImage Image Image

Angel Beat
~ Space, the final frontier. ~
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Angel Beat (?) » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:13 am

I'm... actually having fun with Sekiro. I'm still in the first act, but I can see myself finishing it.
New signature pending.

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:14 am

Just discovered that the Xbox 360 I scored earlier this year is the "Jasper Kronos" revision, generally held to be the most reliable one they ever made, even more than later ones. Probably still going to replace the thermal paste; apparently it's way less of a hassle than it was on the PS3.

Also I don't actually know what games to get for it, besides maybe Red Dead Redemption (depending on whether or not I can be persuaded that it's more worth getting than the PS3 version) and Viva Piñata. The seventh generation in general didn't have a lot of really compelling console exclusives.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:56 am

Star Wars Kinect is a must have :gotcha:
I admit that my own XBox360 collection is also not very rich with content as most games are also available on PC.
Lollypop Chainsaw, Mass Effect, Dead Rising, Red Dead Redemption, Halo, Kameo, Bayonetta, Enslaved, Viva Pinata, Dark Souls, Forza, Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts.... Some games that I have.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:53 pm

Fallen London had a game maker where you could make your own game in the same engine and I usually had more fun with those because they'd be much less purple in their prose and the stories were usually more personal.
ImageImageImageImage

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:57 am

Good.
ImageImage Image Image

CastletonSnob

Post by CastletonSnob (?) » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:25 pm

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/daily-lab ... oy-culture

"Highlights" include a woman COMMITTING SUICIDE DURING A BUSINESS TRIP DUE TO THE HARASSMENT.

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:06 pm

Stuck at home with nothing to do and a dwindling collection of video games as i finish what i have i turned to emulation.

Prior to this my experience with emulation has been the following:

Attempted to emulate PS2 on multiple occasions to play Ace Combat and Metal Gear Solid 3

Emulated PSP and beat MGS: Peace Walker on it, played but never finished Ace Combat X. Played Wipeout.

Emulated the Nintendo DS and beat Ace Attorney 1 to 4 on it.

Emulated PSX and played Ace Combat 2 and 3 on it.

Have SEGA's games on steam, so i've played Sonic and Streets of Rage 2.

So let's go:

NES - no offense to anyone that likes this one, but this is the worst of the bunch. Only a handful of games are worth playing. I would rank Tetris as one of the best games on the NES and Kirby was also good.

SNES - mixed feelings. I feel the SNES suffers a lot from devs trying to cram games unfit for its controls on it. First party Nintendo titles are fairly good and some titles made by devs using Nintendo's IP are fine. But third party titles are all over the place, with even good ones often being difficult because of the limited controls. I have found a version of tetris that also came with dr mario, as well as puzzle bobble and played those and quite like them. Kirby golf was also good. Donkey kong and super mario world were also alright. Schmups, some good some not.

Gameboy and gameboy advance - quite enjoyable. Another excellent version of tetris, plus also things like kirby, warioware, advance wars, etc. Controls also felt good.

Genesis - decent, can't say i played much. As mentioned, I have experience with sonic and streets of rage, but i don't play them much. also tried road rash. Schmups like zero wing and phalanx seemed alright. Also tried Urban Strike, a game in the Strike series, who's first two entries i've played on MSDOS.

PSX - another mixed bag. a big problem of the PSX is its controls, some games do use the sticks, but most don't and i've found they also don't function if the analog sticks are turned on. Most games simply have terrible controls, though the situation starts improving once you start moving toward the end of the 90s. There are a few mega man games for it which have cute graphics, but unfortunaly bad controls. I have played (but haven't beaten) MGS1, as well as a number of schmups (Strikers 1945, In the hunt, raiden, einhander) and racing games like wipeout and gran turismo (which feel dated compared to modern racing games). Fighting games like Jojo or Street Fighter exist, but use the D-pad, which makes controlling them a pain. The Strike series makes another appearance with Soviet Strike and Nuclear Strike.

PSP - excellent. while the lack of a second stick is a problem for something like Peace Walker, everything else i've played worked great. It also has a large collection of schmups, usually packaged up into collections (R-type, Parodius, Gradius, Salamander), Wipeout, Ace Combat X, all the Metal Slugs released at the time (this alone makes it a good choice to emulate), Street Fighter Alpha... It's a console i enjoy emulating.

PC Engine - I've only played three schmups on this one (Soldier Blade, Super Star Soldier, Final Soldier), but it was fairly alright.

Nintendo DS - tried playing some things, but I don't like emulating the NDS.

MSDOS - I've grown up playing MSDOS games and I can tell you a lot aren't good when you look at them today. That said, there are some favorites of mine among them: F29 Retaliator, Desert Strike and Jungle Strike, SimCity and SimFarm, Major Stryker, the original Duke Nukem, Biomenace. Also I have tried others that i never played before like Raptor Call of the shadows and Sensible world of Soccer.
ImageImage Image Image

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:23 pm

DaikatunaRevengeance wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:06 pm
NES - no offense to anyone that likes this one, but this is the worst of the bunch. Only a handful of games are worth playing. I would rank Tetris as one of the best games on the NES and Kirby was also good.
The NES dates back to 1983, so it's no wonder its games didn't age well. The console started with a lot of arcade-y single-screen games and they were also often designed with that mindset as well, that you'd keep investing time in one or a few games until you got really good at them. The games that came out later in its life, where the game designers learned to respect the player more and they figured out how to get better performance from the hardware, are noticeably far more fun to play today. Kirby's Adventure was one of the last games on the NES and benefited a lot from both of those aspects.

I'm still fond of some of its early games, though. Balloon Fight is a semi-clone of the arcade hit Joust and is still a lot of fun for me today, and it also pioneered the infinite runner style of platformer 15 years before the subgenre started to find a niche on smartphones.

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:28 pm

Tetris for the NES holds up pretty well, imo. It being tetris also means the difficulty scales instead of being very hard like a lot of games on the system.

I have like three copies of tetris across three systems, because it turns out i really like tetris. :-I
ImageImage Image Image

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:49 am

Been using this to play outrun and so far the results are fairly good. Especially because I just didn't want to deal with MAME.
ImageImage Image Image

Angel Beat
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Angel Beat (?) » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:49 pm

I just finished Sekiro.

Heck.
New signature pending.

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:35 am

We have it folks, the new dark souls comparison for this decade has arrived.
ImageImage Image Image

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:42 am

The game itself has far more in common with seum: speedrunners from hell than hades (in fact it has absolutely nothing in common with hades). the devs for some reason compare it to titanfall on their twitter account, which makes me think they never actually played titanfall.
ImageImage Image Image

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:35 am

I'd ask what the Half-Life 3 of this decade is, but the problem with that comparison is that Half-Life 3 only reinforces itself for as long as Valve does nothing in that regard.

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:00 pm

Fizzbuzz wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:35 am
I'd ask what the Half-Life 3 of this decade is, but the problem with that comparison is that Half-Life 3 only reinforces itself for as long as Valve does nothing in that regard.
Vampire: The Masquerade 2: Bloodlines

I 100% believe that game never existed and never will, but everyone will still eagerly wait for it to come out.

Much like HL3.
ImageImage Image Image

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:08 pm

Joke answer: star citizen.
ImageImage Image Image

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:37 pm

How is that a joke answer? Because every sensible person on earth knew it was too ambitious to ever be real as soon as it was announced?
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:05 pm

You forgot about all the insensible people

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:51 am

Pocket wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:37 pm
How is that a joke answer? Because every sensible person on earth knew it was too ambitious to ever be real as soon as it was announced?
i mostly consider it a joke answer because unlike vampire, star citizen does like have a alpha (pre-alpha?) version out there.
Vampire on the other hand doesn't even have screenshots, hasn't made any progress and most of its staff up and left the studio. It's far more vaporware than star citizen. Which is weird to think about. Also additionally vampire was supposed to be a 2020 game, whereas star citizen is a 2010s game (specifically i think it was supposed to release in 2016), so vampire better fits in being the half-life 3 of the 2020s.
ImageImage Image Image

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:56 pm

DaikatunaRevengeance wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:35 am

We have it folks, the new dark souls comparison for this decade has arrived.
The picture they used is far too hetero to make me believe it's the next Hades
ImageImageImageImageImage

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:53 pm

the promotional art doesn't matter. the point is the game looks and plays nothing like hades and comparing it to hades is bizarre.
ImageImage Image Image

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:50 pm

Isn't that character on the left just the Fortnite fox with boobs?

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:10 pm

i've never played fortnite
ImageImage Image Image

Angel Beat
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Angel Beat (?) » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:59 pm

Foxnite
New signature pending.

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:16 am

Foxnite
ImageImage Image Image

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:57 am

Psychonauts 2 trip report:
The level design and story is as good as the original.
The platforming is as frustrating as the original.
Playing the first one before the second is recommended.

8.5/10