S09E10: Going to Seed

Episode, movie, and comic book discussion threads are kept here once they have been released.

Moderators: Wayoshi, Venusy

Wayoshi
Paper Fluts
Stare Masters

S09E10: Going to Seed

Post by Wayoshi (?) » Wed May 29, 2019 11:16 am

Applejack's plans for an orderly harvest go awry when Apple Bloom becomes obsessed with catching a magical creature she thinks can help them.
This thread is for discussion of the episode. This episode airs at 11:30 Eastern / 8:30 Pacific on Saturday, June 1!

Official preview clips and images are okay to post, as is speculation about the episode. Spoilers from non-US releases are NOT OK to post.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Re: S09E10: Going to Seed

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Thu May 30, 2019 5:39 am

Applebloom doesn't have enough Gym Badges, so her Venasaur refuses to obey!

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:01 pm

Cute episode. It was pretty clear after night 1 who was responsible, though. Because really how would it take all night to color in a bunch of trees? :squintyjack:
ImageImageImageImageImage

PonyHag714
Here comes the helmet!

Post by PonyHag714 (?) » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:05 pm

I thought it was cute...a good Apple Family episode. The Great Seedling has an interesting design.
Image ("Don't try to reform me, Hag, because I'm made of cold stone.")

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:08 pm

As an only child, I wonder if the episode's message (that it's better to spare some time to have fun with your loved ones than be ruthlessly efficient) doesn't quite land for me. With parents I didn't relate much to, no brothers or sisters, and no friends but those I made online, any time I had work to do I was always the only person I really had around. I found myself sympathizing with Applejack in the beginning, and I guess she's right in what she did, but her experience isn't exactly one I've ever had or will have. :fluttersmith:

I can't help but see Applejack as something of a tragic figure were it not for how she grew over the series. This is someone who repeatedly felt she had to abandon her family and friends in order to provide for them, someone who struggles with not putting success before happiness, who has a perfectionist streak as wide as Twilight Sparkle's but hides it better for the sake of her loved ones. More than any of the rest of the Mane Six, she seems like a cautionary tale of a character.

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:51 pm

"I swear, sometimes it's like she's half mule."
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:10 pm

OK episode. Nothing special, but kind of sweet.

Captain Rufus
Faithful Students

Post by Captain Rufus (?) » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:44 pm

It was cute. The crew clearly knows cats though.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:21 pm

I don't like the episode.
The whole Seedling thing was built up in a way that irked me a lot.
Goldie and Granny are too mischievous and playful for having so much work to do and the poor Big Mac is so overworked that he can't function properly. All of them were ignorant to his miserable condition what made me angry my quite a bit.
Big Mac is the workhorse but I'd never thought that the rest of the Apple family would take that for granted in such a manner.
Applejack was the voice of reason until she got too much distracted by the Seedling obsession which worsened Big Macs sanity.
Fun at work is allowed but that was too extreme here.
I don't feel pleasure in seeing someone overwork to the point of mental and physical breakdown.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:23 am

deleted
But...
This one's too young

LingEarth

Post by LingEarth (?) » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:43 am

It took until they were staying up to watch for the Great Seedling before I realized this was loosely based on It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. :v:

Anyway, this episode had a very different feel to it, and I can't quite put my finger on why exactly. It was kind of cute and fun though. :allears: