The secret ingredient is salt. - Let's get better at cooking.

Good posts, good friends. (General Offtopic)
Geomancing
Patreon supporter

The secret ingredient is salt. - Let's get better at cooking.

Post by Geomancing (?) » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:54 pm

I've started trying to diversify my cooking away from the 'stick the frozen thing in the oven, eat in an hour' kind of caloric fulfillment. So I've been trying recipes I dug out of books and some of those 'employee submitted cookbooks' you get at some jobs.

I first started trying to do just simple baking, in this case sugar cookies. Measuring ingredients by mass instead of volume is nice, much easier to be consistent. Using a good-quality mixer so you're not trying to kill yourself or your arm, remembering tricks you heard from Binging with Babish. Sugar cookies came out really well, as did the snickerdoodles I made later.

For dinner tonight I chopped up some sweet potatoes into cubes, then dabbed them with butter and baked them at 375 for about 50 minutes. Then I hit some salmon fillets with a brushing of butter, salt and pepper, and stuck them in too for the last 25. Side dish of steamed broccoli. Served with lemon joice (me) and lemon butter dill sauce (mom). Came out great.

So maybe we can help each other find or improve some recipes to keep the meals more interesting and healthy if applicable. What recipes do you have on a handwritten index card that's been magnetized to the fridge for three decades?

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Re: The secret ingredient is salt. - Let's get better at cooking.

Post by Octavia (?) » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:19 am

Man I wish we still had the old food thread archived before the old forums exploded. There were like a hundred recipes with step by step instructions and photos. :ohrarity:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:19 am

I'll join this! I got a rad as hell cookbook for my birthday so I'm motivated. Gotta see if I have a scale and some other kitchen stuff in my boxes, still.
Octavia wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:19 am
Man I wish we still had the old food thread archived before the old forums exploded. There were like a hundred recipes with step by step instructions and photos. :ohrarity:
We might very well have that archived! Cosmogenic Lily will hopefully put that stuff up sometime soon when she finds the time and resources.
Image /// Image /// Image

Cthulhu Inc
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Cthulhu Inc (?) » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:04 am

The other day I cooked this while shirtless. I did not burn myself.

A spectre is haunting Europe — the spectre of communism.

Sage

Post by Sage (?) » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:05 pm

Ooooo, a recipe thread!!! How's everyone doing with their cooking goals? I love cooking and I think it's something more people should learn how to do!!!!