Bronibooru rules, guidelines, and info

It's lovely, darling! (Fanart, Fanfics, Pony or not Pony. If you're creative, post here!)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Bronibooru rules, guidelines, and info

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:25 pm

Bronibooru. The ponygoon-run MLP image host.

As you might guess, we hold Bronibooru to the same standards as the forums. This means no violent or sexual content and a generally high level of quality in some regard. As such...

The rules and guidelines:
  1. Most importantly, follow the forum rules (particularly the "post content guidelines" section). This ties into what I was saying about us keeping it up to the same standards as stuff on the forums. Basically, don't post anything sexually suggestive (or worse) or anything that's creeping into violent/grimdark territory and you're good.
  2. Make sure your pictures are of some decent level of quality before posting. We definitely aren't an "anything goes" type of place. We're mainly interested in good art of characters and other stuff from the show, the comics, the movies, et cetera. If you want an idea of what generally passes for "good art" then take a look through what all's already uploaded.
  3. Mind the file size (keep them around 3-5 MB, please). Our bandwidth ain't free and some artists love to draw huge pictures, so if you've got one that's 10 MB or even bigger then please cut that down (either by scaling it, converting its file type, or both).
  4. Source your pics. It's not nice to repost pictures without attribution, so please do your best to include a source link with everything you post. (An exception is if the source is a page that would cause someone to see something NSFW just by clicking on it. In this case, please tell a Bronibooru mod about it before including the source.)
  5. Tag your pics. We use tags for searching for stuff on Bronibooru, so if you post something without tags then no one's gonna find it after it falls off the front page! At minimum, please tag the artist and all the characters in the image (or something else descriptive about it, in case no one identifiable is in it).
  6. Don't upload dupes. Please make sure that your picture has not already been posted to Bronibooru (generally, this is as easy as searching the artist's name). If you do find a dupe, please flag it for deletion and mention the original post in the flag reason. (Exception: If you have a version of a picture that is of higher resolution, quality, etc. than what's already up, please upload your version and flag the old one.)
  7. Be careful about spoilers. I'll just quote this bit from the forum rules:
    Forums Support Cat wrote:
    Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:50 pm
    Special Bronibooru Note: Images featuring episode spoilers may only be posted on Bronibooru before the ending of the relevant episode moratorium if they have the tag "spoilers" added to them so that browsers cannot see the image as a thumbnail. It is recommended to also add the tag "spoilers-{episode-number}" (e.g. "spoilers-25" for spoilers for the 25th episode of the season) so that Bronibooru mods can easily remove spoiler tags once the spoiler moratorium is up.
  8. Original characters! OCs are fine, but please don't post zero-effort pictures that came straight out of a pony creator or something. Basically, if it's a picture of an OC, be sure it'll be interesting (whether because it's a nice picture on its artistic merits, or because it involves OCs made by this community, or similar) to the people looking at it. Look at pics in the original_character tag for past good examples.

Using your Bronibooru account:
Bronibooru accounts are separate from forums accounts. When you register, your account will be at the regular "member" status. This means you can upload pictures, but they will all go into a queue for moderator approval and you can only upload so many into the queue at once. When you've registered, PM me (or hell, just do anything on the booru, I usually catch new faces there pretty quickly) and I will promote you to "gold" status. This will let you vote on images and generally makes you look a little fancier.

Once you've uploaded enough pictures that I feel like you understand our rules and standards, I will promote you to "contributor" status. Once you're a contributor, your pictures will go directly to the front page of Bronibooru, skipping the moderation queue. (This is kind of like our rule about needing to have one forums post approved by a mod before you can post freely. Incidentally, if you're already a regular poster on the forums, I will most likely bump you to contributor straight away.)

Please feel free to favorite, vote, and comment on pictures, too. These features make Bronibooru more fun! Just don't use them to be a jerk or a butt to others. (And please vote on a picture based on its individual merit, not just because it belongs to a tag that you like or dislike.)

If you see something that's a duplicate or is just plain ungood and you feel it needs moderator action, please flag it. To do that, click the "Flag" link to the left of a picture, down in the options. Then type a reason why you feel it's problematic and submit it. Doing this will get the attention of all mods who check the queue, which generally means it'll be reviewed quickly!

Don't want to see something? Blacklist it! Blacklisting a tag will hide any images with it from your view on Bronibooru. When logged in, click the My Account tab, then Settings:
Scroll down to the bottom and enter any tags (one per line, or more if you want to hide a specific combination; for example, if you never want to see the EqG version of Twilight Sparkle, but are fine with her otherwise, enter equestria_girls twilight_sparkle on one line) and they'll be gone forever!

And some other info:
Remember what I said about bandwidth earlier? That applies to your use of Bronibooru-hosted images elsewhere. Basically they're A-OK to use on the forums, but do not embed or hotlink them anywhere else. (Linking to the page where a picture is posted is fine.)

All of the forum moderators also have modding privileges on Bronibooru, but if you have a question or issue about Bronibooru or a picture on it, please contact one of the Bronibooru Bosses (the mods with pink names, such as myself) me first, as I'm the one who is most involved with Bronibooru's operation. You may also ask any such questions about Bronibooru in this thread, if you wish.

The rules are not hard and fast, and we do make exceptions for especially good images that might violate a rule. If you really feel like you've got something super great that should squeak past the rules then again, please ask me or another pink name first. In short, whether uploading, commenting, or voting, judge the work on its own merits.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Re: Bronibooru rules, guidelines, and info

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:38 pm

As far as we can tell, Bronibooru was not affected in last Saturday's attack. All the images, tags, comments, etc., are still there, and we have no indication that the attacker retrieved any data like how the forums user info was retrieved. Still, as TRS transitions in ownership, we are considering measures such as a password reset going forward.

pessimizer
pessimizing compiler [antonym of ‘optimizing compiler’]
n. A compiler that produces object code that is worse than straightforward or obvious hand translation.

Post by pessimizer (?) » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:17 am

Ummm, will Bronibooru ever support https?
Manually attempting to use https results in a warning and then a redirect to www.roundstable.com.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:16 am

Bronibooru is hosted separately from the forums for a few reasons, mostly inertia-related. Getting it all together on the same server is something that'd be nice to have but is out of my control.