PL1E21-22: Game Knight/Director Spike's Mockumentary/Whoof-Dunnit/Dear Tabby

Episode, movie, and comic book discussion threads are kept here once they have been released.

Moderators: Wayoshi, Venusy

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

PL1E21-22: Game Knight/Director Spike's Mockumentary/Whoof-Dunnit/Dear Tabby

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:39 am

Game Knight
Twilight Sparkle makes a new board game for her friends. Or is it a boring game?

Director Spike's Mockumentary
Spike wants to make a documentary about Sugarcube Corner, but the ponies get a little nervous on camera.

Whoof-Dunnit
[No synopsis available.]

Dear Tabby
[No synopsis available.]
Same coked-up horse show, same place to watch it (#ponyday on Discord), different time! :sweetielarm: Treehouse is airing today's episodes ten minutes early, starting at 10:50 AM Eastern, and with how quick these things are you do not want to miss a minute if you're trying to catch them live. Of course, there'll surely be TV rip uploads after the fact, as always.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Re: PONY LIFE 21-22: Game Knight/Director Spike's Mockumentary/Whoof-Dunnit/Dear Tabby

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:25 am

Whoof-Dunnit is the first Pony Life episode written by a returning FiM writer (though Katie Chilson wrote one of the YouTube shorts). I wonder if any more of them besides Gillian Berrow will come back, or if the Pony Life crew dearly wanted to make a whole episode out of Rarity the wannabe detective and tapped someone who'd handled that aspect of her just for it.

I was going into Dear Tabby expecting a story about one of the Mane Six writing into an advice column only to have her story widely mocked online, like how people go to Reddit for juicy posts off of /r/relationships and such. The fact that the episode handled it completely sincerely says more about me being cynical than anything else, I think. :wat:

SigmasonicX

Re: PONY LIFE 21-22: Game Knight/Director Spike's Mockumentary/Whoof-Dunnit/Dear Tabby

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:48 am

This was a pretty fun set of episodes.

"Game Knight" did a lot of amusing stuff with Twilight, with her overly complicated game and Fluttershy and Rarity's reactions to Twilight's weather machine.

Good timing with Katie Chilson's credit

RP explanation with humans

Twilight weather machine stuff

Twilight's actual house is nice. What's with the stone structures around? The statue reminds me of Steven Universe.

The highlight of "Director Spike's Mockumentary" was definitely Rarity's song, which was just adorable. Also, Tabitha singing instead of Kazumi Evans.

Rarity song

Fluttershy can't control her legs

Couch push

"Whoof-dunnit" notably had our first writer to have worked on FiM proper (some writers have written for Equestria Girls), GM Berrow. This was a really fun story, as Detective Rarity stories always are.

Rolling pin puns

Marie Pondo

Vinyl Scratch appears!

Fluttershy snapping, then asking for Rarity to go on a moonlit stroll with her, with narrow eyes

Visors and Twilight's bangs don't mix

In "Dear Tabby", Tabby is an unexpectedly direct reference to the VAs, specifically Tabitha St. Germain. Both characters they suggest she could be (and who she actually is) are even voiced by Tabitha. Speaking of unexpectedly direct references, the Game of Thrones stuff.

Mane of Thrones

Apple vs. Cupcake rap battle

Daenerys Rarity

I notice that between "Dear Tabby" and "Director Spike's Mockumentary", Spike really doesn't seem interested in Rarity.

I think one of the charming minor things of this series is the way characters will immediately react off screen to things the speaking character says, going, "Aww," and such.

Overall, good episode, as you can see from all the clips.