Terrible episodes of great shows.

Good posts, good friends. (General Offtopic)
CastletonSnob

Terrible episodes of great shows.

Post by CastletonSnob (?) » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:01 am

Just about every long-running or critically acclaimed show has at least one major stinker in its run. It's just inevitable when you have so many episodes, some of them are gonna be duds. Sometimes, these episodes can be just as well-known as the great episodes.

I'll start with Code of Honor from TNG. Everything, from the racist undertones thanks to the baffling decision to make the actors playing a primitive alien race who lust after strong women black to the terrible fight scene makes me wonder how anybody involved thought this episode was a good idea.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Re: Terrible episodes of great shows.

Post by Adiwan (?) » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:12 am

This reminds me of the DS9 episode "Profit and Lace"

The image is self-evident.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:40 am

Obvious "Mysterious Mare-Do-Well" for MLP :gotcha:

The episode "Black Market" for Battlestar Galactica. They tried to turn a Sci-Fi show into a film noir and for some reason, a captain in the military is tasked with solving a civilian murder? :rariwhat:

The episode "Fly" in Breaking Bad. It was an overly-artistic, unnecessary bottle episode. :unenthused:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Skipper
Rainbow Racers
Patreon platinum

Post by Skipper (?) » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:51 pm

Octavia wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:40 am
Obvious "Mysterious Mare-Do-Well" for MLP :gotcha:

The episode "Black Market" for Battlestar Galactica. They tried to turn a Sci-Fi show into a film noir and for some reason, a captain in the military is tasked with solving a civilian murder? :rariwhat:

The episode "Fly" in Breaking Bad. It was an overly-artistic, unnecessary bottle episode. :unenthused:
Wrong on two counts, sorry. :colbert:

"Mysterious Mare-Do-Well" was a great episode, full stop.

"Fly" was great because it clearly showed the difference in character between the two: the stark contrast between the detail-obsessed killer that Walt would become and the more laissez-faire, anything-goes, let's-just-make-some-product Jesse who didn't much care about the fly but really got forced into hunting it down; the fly itself, unwittingly wandering into the lab, which would ultimately cost it its life, a parallel to Jesse's life after getting involved with Walt; the exhaustion of the hunt, similar to what the both went through in their illicit adventures, eventually solved by sheer luck since the killing of the fly was ultimately completely by chance. I would say this was the perfect episode of BB, essentially containing the whole series in itself.

Please adjust your opinions accordingly. :wingsright:

[E] Spelling

[E2] Welp, I was under the mistaken impression I was in PPPP; sorry for the low content post. :-I

I will think of something proper to post here later on.

Sailor Yue
Hnnnggggghhhhh

Post by Sailor Yue (?) » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:23 am

The great divide: avatar the last airbender

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar (?) » Wed May 13, 2020 6:21 pm

The entire first two seasons of MLP: FiM were pretty rough. Luckily the show got good later.
Gloriosa Did Nothing Wrong