Equestria Girls: Sunset the Protagonist Edition

here a forum about pony (General Pony Talk)

Moderators: Wayoshi, Venusy

SigmasonicX

Re: Equestria Girls: Sunset the Protagonist Edition

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:40 pm

This was a pretty fun special, though predictable due to the novelization coming out well before we even knew there was an animated special for it to be based on. It's a shame some of the wackier loop endings I heard about are book original, but at least we got a, "Don't drive angry," moment with Sunset here. She's a horse, so it counts.

The big RETURN OF THE DAZZLINGS ™ turned out to be pretty underwhelming, just like Sunset and Celestia reuniting. They're a red herring, and we get a couple lines from them, but nothing more. It is interesting that they haven't full reformed, even if they aren't doing anything bad. Though really, ever since the Legends of Magic comics, I've felt that the best way to bring them back for a story would be to go into their relationship with Starswirl and Stygian. The comics depicted Stygian wondering if banishing them before understanding what they wanted is a good idea, but Starswirl thought they were too big a menace to reason with. It would have been great to see how a reformed Starswirl handled them returning to Equestria, and to see what would happen if Stygian actually did get a chance to talk things out. If you go back to Rainbow Rocks, they didn't really interact much with anyone. Even Sunset just had two scenes with them, and only one where she knew they were evil.

Also Rarity mentioned that "Find the Magic" is a weak song in-universe, so that explains why I found it eh in its music video >_>.

There was a load of Sunset and Pinkie interactions in this special, definitely reaching, "They're dating, right?" levels. I've mentioned before that Sunset's personality is hard to pin down other than her being a straightman that sometimes has a temper, and wouldn't you know it, that's the perfect person to have interact with Pinkie a lot! Pinkie had several annoying moments, but I thought they succeeded in still making you feel bad when Sunset ditched her or otherwise got frustrated. Overall, I thought both characters were handled well.

SMH at Sunset failing to do a perfect run in the final loop by not getting the security guard a kitten.

~~~

This was the last EQG special

Captain Rufus
Faithful Students

Post by Captain Rufus (?) » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:10 pm

We got more Dazzlings even if they maybe were leaning too much on the Sonata taco meme.

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:08 am

A new special "Holiday Unwrapped" aired in Ukraine. However, it's actually a series of 7-minute shorts, which explains why the show crew was saying there weren't anymore specials; they probably didn't realize these shorts would be packaged like this.

EDIT:

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:45 am

Tralli Valli! Early EQG Xmas special
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2019/09/ ... apped.html
But...
This one's too young

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:51 pm

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2019/09/ ... -to-k.html

Not the same as confirming it in show, but it's nice.

Also, lol

(picture taken yesterday)

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:06 pm

I'd like that people would focus more on the character's personality than on the character's desire to bone someone, bluntly saying.
Fandom is gonna fandom anyway it goes.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:13 pm

Good.
ImageImage Image Image

;) ❤️ :twasnothin: ❤️ :fancyhat:

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:23 am

Adiwan wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:06 pm
I'd like that people would focus more on the character's personality than on the character's desire to bone someone, bluntly saying.
Fandom is gonna fandom anyway it goes.
It's not just boning, and I think it's pretty neat that the director is at least giving a nod in the way she can to the LGBT community. Definitely not the same as canon, but it's still a little something that'll make some people who need more representation happy, and that's neat.
Image /// Image /// Image

Captain Rufus
Faithful Students

Post by Captain Rufus (?) » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:30 pm

The problem is almost everything dorky now seems to be putting in representation. Maybe its justified over correcting for decades of everyone being straight WASP af but honestly it mostly feels like pandering to a loud group of internet shippers whose motives probably aren't altruistic and more based on their bathing suit areas...

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:36 pm

Hello, I'm bi and I like when shows have the characters be very gay because it's nice and cute and better than treating me as a joke or worse.
ImageImage Image Image

;) ❤️ :twasnothin: ❤️ :fancyhat:

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:50 am

Captain Rufus wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:30 pm
The problem is almost everything dorky now seems to be putting in representation. Maybe its justified over correcting for decades of everyone being straight WASP af but honestly it mostly feels like pandering to a loud group of internet shippers whose motives probably aren't altruistic and more based on their bathing suit areas...
You sound really cynical about something that doesn't even affect or adress you and that's kinda sad. Sometimes nice, heartfelt things are literally just that and not part of a calculated, exploitative agenda.

I'm bi and it has nothing to do with my "bathing suit area", I'm just glad when my existence is treated as real and valid and not as a shitty cliche or a way of being that people should be ashamed of.

More LGBT people are making more things and they often feel the same way. A lot of them include representation in what they create because they want to show more people of all ages that being not-straight is fine and not a freakish awful thing that's abnormal and thus bad. Especially for younger people who are more vulnerable to input, both positive and negative, their favorite media including them can mean a big amount.

If you think it's all just pandering to shippers, then I'd genuinely advise you to talk to more LGBT people and LGBT creators.
Image /// Image /// Image

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:33 am

Captain Rufus wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:30 pm
LGBTQIA+ kids deserve to see themselves represented just as much as anyone else. I’m happy to know that Sunset Shimmer is bi like me, even if I’m not a kid, because there are precious few bi characters who aren’t portrayed as ridiculously promiscuous, “needing to make a choice because you can only be straight or gay,” or worse. A fairly wholesome kids’ show avoids all that mess by default. I hope it helps some of the kids watching the show feel included.

If you spend too much time worrying about what fandom is going to do, you end up with something bland and inoffensive like Ziggy comics that don’t satisfy anyone.

And yeah, there are people out there who turn a sexual orientation into a fetish rather than just another part of life, which is dehumanizing and irritating. There is way more to a person than what they find/don’t find attractive. But just as a character being straight is no big deal to anyone right now, having more visible characters who just happen to be gay/bi/ace, for example, will help people eventually think of that as also being no big deal.

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:38 pm

Holidays Unwrapped
Well, here it is, the final G4 special that we know of. And this is actually a collection of shorts anyway.
30 minutes to school and they decide to put all their effort into faking a snow day instead of preparing more for the test. SMH, Pony Principal Twilight would be disappointed.
Pinkie vs. raccoon
Fluttershy's bunny ear cap is cute.
Woah WTF Sunset can read a snowflake's mind.
I'd have been disappointed if their plan actually worked.

Pinkie lists off her friends' names, and Zecora exists in EQG?
Hey, the Dance Magic stick figure art style is back.
Watch out! Anti-government protests!
Hey, Photo Finish.
RIP Trixie.
LOL, Twilight dragging herself through the snow in slo-mo.
RIP Winona.
Sunset using her video game skills to stomp a snowball.
Flash coming to help now. RIP Flash.
RIP Sunset.
LOL, that snow covered side of her face.
Rarity just using her shield.
That was a fun one.

These are out of order, I guess. Was snowing before, now there's zero snow.
Flam Flam Apple rivalry showing up in EQG. Before, Flim and Flam didn't seem to have any particular connection to the Apples.
Oh, so that's all those pet worm screencaps I saw before amounted to?
Another montage.
Wait, the Apples were fooled by the standees too?

Spy movie parody too. And there are actual computers in this world, so it makes sense to have a hacker and spy tools!
SciTwi brings up network concerns.
Didn't think AJ would be so insistent about using their powers.
Oh, so this is where the Thanos transformation comes in.
Figured Twilight's plans would be to just call Celestia.

Background human hugs!
Twilight looks menacing.
Extended Rainbow and Zephyr interactions.
That woman at the front of the line is so disappointed.
Rainbow (talking to self): "But only because you love Fluttershy"
Oh, so that's where that image of Rarity blushing while reading comes from.

Rainbow: "I could barely function. Wait, was that a math pun?"
And Twilight follows up with another math pun.
A third montage!
Oh, so here's where the fruit and vegetable costumes come in.
Could have just put the costumes on at the photoshoot area.
They don't look bad, so weird that they'd get so much laughter.
Well, I guess that works as an ending for EQG.

Oh, new writer, I think. Anna Christopher.

Overall, I found it just alright. The snowball fight short was the best.

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:03 am

Finally officially on YouTube, uploaded for International Women's Day