General gaming superthread

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Re: General gaming superthread

Post by Octavia (?) » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:53 pm

My partner got me Fire Emblem: Three Houses and I trucked through the Blue Lions campaign. Next up, Golden Stags.
ImageImageImageImageImage

CorvusCaw
Maud Squad

Post by CorvusCaw (?) » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:25 am

Just finished 100%ing Valkyria Chronicles Remastered. All that's left to do is the optional Expert Skirmishes.

This is the first game I've played 100% of since the La Mulana remake came out in 2012...
ImageImageImageImageImage

diribigal
Special Flowers

Post by diribigal (?) » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:15 pm

Ocarina of Time TAS on the Chinese equivalent of the N64 in like 15:18 or so by never leaving the Kokiri Forest and exploiting the recent camera lock Stale Reference Manipulation tech:
ImageImageImage Very math.

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:08 am

That's pokemon blue level goofin, holy moly
ImageImageImageImage

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:47 am

Further along in Xen, it continues to be amazing but performance is taking a big hit. I don't know what's happening; the framerate drops to single digits but if I die and reload, it goes back up to almost-acceptable again.

Also it just dawned on me that some crazy motherfucker is going to try to demake it as a Half-Life mod now, and godspeed to whoever that is.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:03 pm

Madeline wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:03 am
You can finally get all of the Civ6 expansions for Switch now.
Remember this? It's currently half off on the eShop, and the expansion bundle is 25% off. There's also tons of other deals on until January 16: https://www.nintendo.com/games/sales-and-deals/

diribigal
Special Flowers

Post by diribigal (?) » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:39 pm

I'm not sure where whether to post this here or in RUSP. Maybe it belongs in both. "Kind Words (lo fi chill beats to write to)" is program posted on game platforms, but it's more like an anonymous self-contained support community sort of thing. It has good music, stickers to collect, and kind and struggling strangers to get support from/give support to. The system is smartly designed against forming a long conversation or actual relationship: just short isolated messages from unknown strangers.

It's here on Itch.io (Itch gives you a steam key but if you want to add to steam wishlist: Steam Page)

Angel Beat
~ Space, the final frontier. ~
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Angel Beat (?) » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:53 am

I miiight've gotten into Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 a bit.
New signature pending.

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:09 pm

Your character looks ready to beat up all the bad guys
ImageImageImageImage

Angel Beat
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Angel Beat (?) » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:54 pm

Her power is growing so she may do exactly that. :vogue:
New signature pending.

diribigal
Special Flowers

Post by diribigal (?) » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:07 pm

Just beat Superliminal. It really should've been right up my alley, and I appreciated a few things it did, but it was derivative in some annoying ways and mostly tedious. I heard that they only just got the tech working right a little before release, but I don't know if tougher puzzles would have saved it for me.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:52 am

I’m waiting on the Steam release and will probably still play it anyway, but ouch. It’s been in development for years so a few more months for polish wouldn’t have hurt if they’d needed it.

I finished Wandersong recently, nice little game, wears its influences on its sleeve but they’re good influences.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:28 pm

FINALLY.

Also, I've watched other people play this before but I just realized that the end credits theme features a Pokérap of several of the guns in the game. Fitting.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

diribigal
Special Flowers

Post by diribigal (?) » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:43 am

Gloomy Rube wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:08 am
Now doable by a human on a regular N64:

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:19 pm

alright folks

i've never played quake 1 and i'm itching to try it

so what should i do, is there a source port like with OG doom?

edit: i've found a lot of source ports, Romero recommends Quakespasm, should i go with that or is there something else?
ImageImage Image Image

;) ❤️ :twasnothin: ❤️ :fancyhat:

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:21 pm

Quake Spasm is perfectly fine, I'd say go for it. Just don't use dark spaces, that one has HDR and bloom out the wazoo :v:
ImageImageImageImage

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:39 pm

Will do :jingo:
ImageImage Image Image

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:46 am

A friend wants to play games with me and our friends. They're playing warframe, but only a few of us play that. Does anyone know any fun free or F2P multiplayer games?
ImageImage Image Image

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:49 am

I've been thinking about getting folks back into Awesomenauts, that's F2P now if I'm not totally mistaken. Some of my IRL friends want to play that again, I think we could get enough people together for 3v3 friends only games.
Image /// Image /// Image

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:17 am

Yeah, it's F2P now.
ImageImage Image Image

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:11 am

I was just thinking about that game the other day after digging through someone's DA gallery and coming across a couple pieces of Awesomenauts fanart. It's been a few years since I played, but I do still have it and could join in if we wanted to play with each other or queue up against pubbies, or something.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:27 am

Finished Jedi: Fallen Order. Didn't bother with some of the side quest stuff, but it was decent enough as a story. Main character's a little gormless, but if they wanted to do more with it, I wouldn't be opposed. Jumping around and Force-fartin' around and having a heroic adventure with some personal conflict is really what Star Wars does well, and this game was able to string that together better than TRoS.

Kinda wish the collectibles were more than just 30 varieties of ugly ponchos, but at least they didn't try to sell them to us.

Angel Beat
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Angel Beat (?) » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:51 pm

I've yet to finish it, but I never use any of the ponchos. :v: The lightsaber parts, however...
New signature pending.

Demeh
Limo Learners

Post by Demeh (?) » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:55 am

Perrydotto wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:49 am
I've been thinking about getting folks back into Awesomenauts, that's F2P now if I'm not totally mistaken. Some of my IRL friends want to play that again, I think we could get enough people together for 3v3 friends only games.
I’m up for it if I get a call in the discord

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:17 pm

Speaking of free-to-play, Team Fortress Classic is free-to-play until March. Anyone else curious what things were like in the olden days? I'd be tempted to spin up an impromptu server, but I'm not keen on running my PC 24/7 for the next month without a reboot and the only other one I have in the house sounds like a jet engine.

Vivianinatoga
Semper Pie

Post by Vivianinatoga (?) » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:23 pm

I hear TF2 But With Grenade Spam is a decent time to have.
ImageImageImage

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:07 pm

Here's a cool game I've been playing recently:

Killer Queen Black, available for PC/Mac and Nintendo Switch, is an indie 4v4 mashup between a platformer and a real-time strategy game. Win matches by being the first team to fill your base with berries, ride a snail to your side of the map, or kill the enemy team's queen.

Three players on each team are workers with unlimited lives, who can carry berries and ride the snail but are otherwise helpless. Workers can become soldiers by taking a berry to an upgrade gate, where they get armed and can fly, but respawn as workers if killed. The queen is the strongest since she starts armed and flying and can capture gates so that only her team can use them, but she has only three lives and must be careful to not cause defeat for her team by dying.

Here's a longer gameplay demo of all this.

The game is 50% off right now, so I recommend picking it up while it's just $10. Keep it around for local play when you have friends over (up to 8 can play locally) or play online (it's cross-platform). If this sounds fun to you, message me and we can queue up together or something.

Perpetual Motion
Enthusiasm makes everything an adventure.

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:15 pm

The coolest thing about KQB is that it's a home port of arcade game. Yes, the original Killer Queen was basically the same, but you had to get 8 people in one physical location and line them all up in front of this bastard:

Super fucking cool, but basically nobody played it for obvious reasons.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:18 pm

The arcade game tells you on its first instruction screen that "it's finally time to talk to strangers!" :v: I got to play it at MAGFest the past two years, though, and it was always a big hit in the arcade there. From what I understand, most other Killer Queen arcade cabinets are installed at bars, where a bit of alcohol likely made it easier to convince people to give it a try.

diribigal
Special Flowers

Post by diribigal (?) » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:36 am

diribigal wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:15 pm
Ocarina of Time TAS on the Chinese equivalent of the N64 in like 15:18 or so by never leaving the Kokiri Forest and exploiting the recent camera lock Stale Reference Manipulation tech
Gloomy Rube wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:08 am
So uh, since then a human has arguably beaten the Japanese version of Ocarina of Time in under 10min by OoT RTA timing*. I think actual gameplay is just over 3min now?

*I think it's from start of file after entering the name to the start of a cutscene at the end of the game (so entering the filename or hammering A at the end are not part of what's timed)

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:38 pm

Welcome back to my Minecraft 1.14 1.15 adventures. When we last left off, I had found a little peninsula two maps east of my original base and built a little hut. Turns out, that hut is directly on a major trade route.

I thought only one of these guys was allowed to spawn at a time. Also they won't freaking leave.

Occasionally I'll see a bunch of kelp leaves just floating in the ocean. I wonder if the game tried to spawn them on sand that's not anchored to anything, causing the sand to collapse and the kelp to detach.

I mentioned the terrible Nether generation in this world, but I'm determined to make the best of it. Unfortunately, digging staircases in the Nether is a pain because the damn pigmen keep making a beeline for the top where I'm trying to dig. Their AI must be programmed to constantly seek out higher ground, or something.

I discovered my first coral reef. 'S purrrrrdy. Did I mention I'd managed to acquire a helmet with both Respiration and Aqua Affinity, and boots with Depth Strider? They'll come in handy for when I decide to tackle an ocean monument or build an underwater base, but for now I've mostly been using them to make concrete in my frontyard pond.

Fox!

Also, I found a mountain almost completely covered in gravel. I didn't know surface gravel was still a thing. I remember there used to be fields of it, back in the beta days.

Work on the subway continues, mostly tedious clearing of lava pools which I've started using to make a layer of obsidian under the floor because I don't know what else to do with it all. And now I've managed to dig straight into a mineshaft! This is the first time I've found one by digging.

This was a new one. A witch in the middle of the ocean. No idea how she got there.

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:48 pm

My favorite thing in minecraft is minecarts

nyoooooom
ImageImageImageImage

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:26 pm

We know she’s a witch because she floats!

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:41 pm

I impulse-bought a backward-compatible PS3 today :modesty:

This was not an entirely uninformed choice, as I passed one up a year ago and regretted it, but the average price is going to have to get a lot higher before I acknowledge that it was a wise investment. I did not realize that my upscaling choices were limited to unevenly-sized pixels or so much blur that it's practically singing "Song 2". On the other hand, upgrading my computer to the point where PS2 emulators actually work would have cost even more.

Also when I was at the store I witnessed a young woman being super excited about the Big Daddy figurine she just found and exclaiming to no one in particular that BioShock is "the best game", which was just :allears:

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:02 am

PCSX2 has actually been pretty decent to me even on machines with integrated graphics for the few games I’ve tried, though it still wasn’t 100% or as accurate as something like Dolphin.

Also congrats!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Dropping tears does not always mean the sadness.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:06 pm

Oot stale reference manipulation is contentious because the normal end of timing is last hit on Ganon.

This does not have any hits on Ganon.

It doesn't resemble normal oot much once inside the deku tree either, which is kinda lame since previous any% routes fought ganon.
:snoop: Image :snoop:

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:14 am

I'm of the opinion SRM should be counted separately from normal Any%, yeah - it's impressive that it's humanly possible, but it's just not that interesting to watch once you've seen one run - any optimization or variation possible is likely extremely minor, same as other game breaking categories like the Pokémon RBY save corruption ones.

The Ghost of Ember
don't you feel so scared sometimes?

Post by The Ghost of Ember (?) » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:27 am

Strange Telephone is on sale on steam, in case you were interested in it after Jill showed it off a bit here and on the Discord
RIP Syndrome wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:56 pm
this universe is cursed

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:08 am

The new Nether is in beta now, and my very first thought was how much it reminds me of Black Mesa's Xen, what with the blue ground cover, glowing organic blobs, and alien trees.

2020 shall henceforth be known as the year of cool alien landscapes.

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:37 pm

i ran into an old super bunnyhop video that still feels relevent

ImageImage Image Image