ITT i nerd out into the void over transformers shit

Come on in, come to the place where fun never ends. (Shenanigans!)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

ITT i nerd out into the void over transformers shit

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:52 pm

hey i like transformers and like talking about them

haven't been keeping up with the comics at all as of late, especially since the continuity I really digged ended. the new IDW continuity is probably rad for all i know, but i haven't paid any attention to it so i don't even know

mostly I'm just starting this because hasbro revealed the next toyline, War for Cybertron Trilogy - Kingdom, or just Kingdom for short. it's got nothing to do with the War for Cybertron video game which I hear was actually pretty rad, but i didn't play it.

Nah, War for Cybertron Trilogy is basically the current series of Generations toylines. The generations toylines are basically just "it's the old characters you liked (and some new stuff we made), but now with newer, more modern design ideas and gimmicks. and also revisting G1 stuff a lot because it was popular." And the previous two toylines, Siege and Earthrise, have been a lot of that.

Siege was basically G1, but everyone's on cybertron so everyone turns into future vehicles because they're not trying to disguise themselves. Also everyone has battle damage paint apps. And everyone has a billion ports on the sides because some figures come apart and can be used by other figures as guns and armor and shit. It's pretty cool.

Earthrise (which is currently going on, but hasn't fully overtaken Siege on the shelves yet, probobly due to 2020 in general throwing a spanner in the works for everyone) is basically, they're all on earth now, so now it's actual G1 nonsense and robots in disguise. also leaning more into base-building thanks to some figures that can come apart and transform into little bases for micromasters, as well as other larger figures including accessories and modes that also help lean into that a bit, like the Optimus Prime figure for this line having a trailer that can be set up as a base, or the new Sky Lynx figure that can transform into a shuttle launch facility

Kingdom, which was just announced/revealed, is basically a bit more G1 guff, but also

and so after Siege was pretty cool, and Earthrise is mostly getting nothing out of me (except for Arcee, which I want a lot. Sky Lynx, I'd love, but that's a bit too pricy atm), I'm very excited about this

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Re: ITT i nerd out into the void over transformers shit

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:58 pm

So there's the usual suspects: Cheetor, Optimus Primal, Rattrap, Megatron (the t-rex), and they all look fantastic, all good stuff, especially Primal, Rattrap, and Megatron, like

and

just look absolutely divine. and then my boy Rattrap:

is looking hella swish as a cheap and cheerful little dude. I'm slightly sad there's no waspinator yet, who was my favorite along with rattrap, but we had a very excellent waspinator like, 8 years ago that I have, so I'll live

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:03 am

But then you start getting into some of the oddballs in this opening salvo. Like, first off, G1 shit.

firstly, we got a babby optimus prime, which like, okay fair, I suppose. But weirdly enough, there's a SECOND optimus in this lineup, who is a leader class figure. we already got like, two other optimus primes from the last two toylines, so what the hell

There's also Warpath, who is this kinda weird tank dude from G1, which like, okay?

also from G1 is Cyclonus, which hell yeah, Cyclonus rules and this one looks rad as hell, I'm down for it

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:10 am

but now we come to the weird shit. First off, two newcomers, in the form of Vertebreak and Paleotrex, who transform into fossilized dinosaur skeletons. Yeah, it's awesome. Like,

Vertebreak is another small cheap figure, like Rattrap and the optimus prime i posted, but he's fairly straightforward. But the real freakshow is Paleotrex:

This guy looks jank as hell and it's awesome. Just this ugly-ass robot that turns into an awesome dino skeleton. You may ask, "why does this robot look so wack?", and the answer is because you pull it apart into pieces and those pieces can turn into weapons and armor for other figures:

I fuckin love this shit

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:22 am

And then to round things out, there's Black Arachnia. I was kind of surprised. I half expected Tarantulus, since that's who we got first from the original Beast Wars, but nah. there's been a smattering of some actual female characters here and there for a while now, and it's been pretty cool. Like, Arcee and Windblade tend to show up in various stuff, and there's been some new female characters in stuff like that Transformers RID cartoon that was somewhat recent, as well as the very recent Cyberverse cartoon. So hey, it's pretty cool.

But she transforms into a pretty gnarly looking spider, so not so cool for me.
(hiding the pictures in spoilers for other fellow arachnophobes)

The menace of the scary spider mode is somewhat tempered somewhat when you're looking at it head on. See, there's the spider face and mandibles but it's kind of tiny and take up the top half, where on the bottom is the rest of the robot mode kibble. And taking up the bottom half, catching your eye as to where there should be the mandibles of the spider mode, are her golden boobs.

While spiders freak me out a fair bit, I just can't help but find that really amusing. like, here's this thing that personally freaks me out a fair bit

AND THERE ARE HER ROBOT MODE TIDDIES :snicker:

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:27 am

also i should mention, tying into the war for cybertron trilogy toylines are a series of direct-to-netflix animated cartoons, and while I haven't seen them, i heard they aren't very good, so womp womp

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:22 am

Aria Genisi wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:27 am
also i should mention, tying into the war for cybertron trilogy toylines are a series of direct-to-netflix animated cartoons, and while I haven't seen them, i heard they aren't very good, so womp womp
You'd think Hasbro would have learned from FiM that putting some actual effort into animated media for their brands can result in attracting new fans, but oh well.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:09 pm

I totally want that Rattrap, Primal, Beast Megatron, and babby Optimus because the current Optimi are too pricey.

Also the skeltonizers are kind of cool.

hoping for Airrazor (as her only fan) but I’m not gonna hold my breath
Fizzbuzz wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:22 am

You'd think Hasbro would have learned from FiM that putting some actual effort into animated media for their brands can result in attracting new fans, but oh well.
The “main” Transformers show, Cyberverse (which is just ending), was pretty fun and the best show in a long time, and the comics are better than the pony comics usually :pinkieshrug:

I don’t care if the Netflix stuff sucks because I don’t have Netflix, plus their last go at G1 nostalgia (the Combiner Wars/Titans Return/Power of the Primes) YouTube stuff was godawful too

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:19 pm

like my age and demo says I should be a GeeWunner (because I grew up with it) but all that did was leave me with a fondness for shonky toys that nobody else likes :v: I like one the of episodes that the late Earl Kress ( :fluttersmith: ) wrote, though, “Hoist Goes Hollywood,” and I like the 86 movie even though it’s silly as heck

but mainly I just like the toys because they’re basically my fidget thing and it soothes my worm-riddled brain to transform them back and forth, so I wouldn’t care if the characters are new or old or something in-between (like the Unicron Trilogy where they reused a lot of names for new characters)

I am tempted by that Black Arachnia because of the ridiculous novelty of having that spider mode turn into fanboy bait :-I and also because I liked her character in the Beast Wars show despite the design and tropes that they saddled her with

The Ghost of Ember
don't you feel so scared sometimes?

Post by The Ghost of Ember (?) » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:24 pm

black arachnia finally got a decent mold of her non-transmetal version huh. that's pretty cool.

i'd be tempted by bw megatron/optimus but i still got the 20th anniversary versions of them sitting in my closet somewhere.

i lost interest after they killed animated, and i haven't seen anything since that revived my interest. the lost light comics are/were far better than any transformer property has right to be. one day i'll catch up on those. one day.
RIP Syndrome wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:56 pm
this universe is cursed

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:37 pm

Fizzbuzz wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:22 am
Madeline wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:09 pm

The “main” Transformers show, Cyberverse (which is just ending), was pretty fun and the best show in a long time, and the comics are better than the pony comics usually :pinkieshrug:

I don’t care if the Netflix stuff sucks because I don’t have Netflix, plus their last go at G1 nostalgia (the Combiner Wars/Titans Return/Power of the Primes) YouTube stuff was godawful too
yeah this. I haven't watched cyberverse at all, but I've heard it's pretty dang good. It's just that when they tried to make cartoon tie-ins for the Prime Wars trilogy (Combiner Wars, Titans Return, Power of the Primes) or the current War For Cybertron Trilogy, it ended badly

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:40 pm

fun detail that i love: the dino guy that splits apart into weapons? his head turns into the weird skull mace that Primal had with his original toy:

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:02 pm

also i just wanna sound off about this: I don't like Earthrise Arcee. like, okay take a look at this shit:

It's a pretty nice looking figure, but the fact that the entire back end of her car is supposed to detach and just become some sort of hoverboard or whatever the hell is some shit. Like, yeah it's a shellformer, but it just seems dumb to me, especially since they made a much cooler Arcee over in cyberverse:

I'm still probobly going to get both because i love this gay trans robot, but i'm still gonna complain about the earthrise figure

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:14 pm

Aria Genisi wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:40 pm
fun detail that i love: the dino guy that splits apart into weapons? his head turns into the weird skull mace that Primal had with his original toy:

okay I want this weird skull guy now because I still have Optimus Primal and I wanna see if he can dual wield two weird skull maces

or if the new Primal can use the old mace *and* this guy as a skull mace

maybe I can make him look like he’s getting ready to drum for GWAR or something

also found out beast megatron is $50, guess I won’t be getting that one. at least I have a really weird orange and green KO of the original toy sitting around. fun fact: I saw it in an easter basket during candy clearance back a long, long time ago and I was like “I will buy the orange dinosaur with my cheap unhealthy sugar stuff”

and it turned out it was a Transformer KO. I love my ugly orange and green Predacon son

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:15 pm

Aria Genisi wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:37 pm
yeah this. I haven't watched cyberverse at all, but I've heard it's pretty dang good. It's just that when they tried to make cartoon tie-ins for the Prime Wars trilogy (Combiner Wars, Titans Return, Power of the Primes) or the current War For Cybertron Trilogy, it ended badly
give cyberverse a try! it’s on youtube and the episodes are pretty short, which seems to be industry standard now. also one of the characters is basically Thew in visual design

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:55 pm

Madeline wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:15 pm
give cyberverse a try! it’s on youtube and the episodes are pretty short, which seems to be industry standard now. also one of the characters is basically Thew in visual design
yeah i heard good things about cyberverse, and having seen some characters, it definitely seems like something i should check out sometime. kinda one of those things I've been meaning to see, but just haven't gotten around to among all the million other things I keep meaning to do :modesty:

Perpetual Motion
Enthusiasm makes everything an adventure.

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:02 am

I haven't paid attention to Transformers too much since the Bay movies made me angry (though I know there's plenty of good stuff out there), but I have been reading the Friendship in Disguise crossover, and that's been pretty fun so far, with 3 pretty good to great stories across two issues out at the moment (and one... not good story, but whatever, it's a multi-writer anthology, so that was bound to happen). Definitely recommend picking it up!

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:57 am

Friendship in Disguise is a good read and I really enjoyed it, a bright spot for ponies and robots alike :)

Also, two things happened:

1) for the first time in the history of ever, someone who bought something and endlessly complained about it really did agree to give it away for the cost of shipping
2) I was the recipient :-I

So now I’m the, uh, proud(?) owner of Kingdom Black Arachnia. I’m not sure what I expected but yep she sure is a big tiddy goth spider robot. I’m not sure why the guy was so pissed, her neck is really wobbly but she stands up and stuff, and while her transformation is super fiddly, it’s doable? The spider is juuuuust detailed enough that yeah, arachnophobes should stay away, or at least not transform it. But her transformation also isn’t that fun, the instructions certainly suck (as usual), and yeah I’ve got to do something about her neck because she looks like she’s trying to do that old SNL skit with Will Ferrell and that other guy with the Haddaway song. Or maybe that’s the perfect reason to leave it alone, so I can try to recreate this via stop-motion :ponder: if only I knew how to do that. The panels on her thighs kind of have an automorph thing going on which is a nice touch, they move a little for transformation and just kind of slide back into place for robot mode.

the funniest thing is that the boob-looking things under her spider-face aren’t her boobs, they’re her shoulders. Her actual boobs are a separate piece that folds into her big spider butt :-I I laughed way harder than I should have at this discovery

Also, with my own money, I got Vertebreak and she rules. Yeah, she can’t break apart into Dino armor, she’s about the size of a G2 basic so she’d be way too small for that to be sturdy enough to withstand kids playing with it. But she’s a rad little raptor fossil lady who can smack people in the face with her removable tail. I thought I’d be into the dinos because I love dinosaurs (who doesn’t, really) but god she’s a great little toy if you can find one in stock online at MSRP.

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:07 pm

I've gotten a couple of new figures since I last posted here.

First off, Cyberverse Arcee. I talked about her here before, and she's good! I really like this figure. It's definitely a bit more simple in engineering and style compared to anything in the Generations toylines, but it's just a good stylized figure.

I got the first of those skeleton dinos, Paleotrex, and it's another really good one. The one I got is a bit too loose in some joints (the ones used for the dino mode lower legs/robot mode arms from the elbow down), but he can stand and get some nice poses, so it's ultimately alright. I've got two of the weaponizers from Siege, and honestly, I just like messing with the partsforming aspect, instead of using them as weapons or armor on other figures, and Paleotrex is no exception.

I got my boy Rattrap! Such a good little figure! he's just a little posable rat boy with a gun! As far as lil guys go, this one's extremely good! The only thing working against it is that the rat mode doesn't have a good storage space for the gun, where you gotta tab it into the side of one of the rear legs. It makes it stick out like a sore thumb. I do wish there was a better spot for it, since the original and the updated deluxe from the Thrilling 30 line were able to hide it just fine, but considering that he's just a really good lil guy, something probably had to give.

Lastly, I got the new Optimus Primal figure. I love this thing. He's not as large as the original, of course, but man, this one is just super high quality. Very basic transformation, as to be expected, but to make up for it, he's hella detailed and just feels way more high quality instead. He feels more like a collectors figure in terms of quality. He looks great and is great.