Las Pegasus Unicon - Hey Ocean!'s Eleven

Where only the shiniest threads are preserved for all to see.
Vivianinatoga
Semper Pie

Re: Las Pegasus Unicon - Hey Ocean!'s Eleven

Post by Vivianinatoga (?) » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:27 am

Dear god what am I doing is this even worth it
ImageImageImage

Snow Drift

Post by Snow Drift » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:33 am

I don't even know any more, but man I bid on so many custom things, it is redonk.

NLTM

Post by NLTM » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:34 am

Unicon dot png

Vivianinatoga
Semper Pie

Post by Vivianinatoga (?) » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:36 am

For reference. I folded in the end. Shame, pride, relief, disappointment. Fuck bowling.

EDIT: The. LAST. Auction. God damn. Double everything. Still fuck bowling.
ImageImageImage

NLTM

Post by NLTM » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:49 am

I raised $75, so I'm happy to have done my part.

Thanks to our resident Perrydotto for chipping in and getting some muzak!

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:01 am

NLTM wrote:I raised $75, so I'm happy to have done my part.

Thanks to our resident Perrydotto for chipping in and getting some muzak!
Whee! I will contact you once I'm back home from Bochum. Will be tomorrow.

I haven't had a chance to look at stuff, so I don't know how well the stuff I donated went. I hope I got more bids on it.
Image /// Image /// Image

MetalSonic

Post by MetalSonic (?) » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:23 am

I just hope that the statistics on the earned money will be up soon. It is at least good that this trainwreck ended on a kind and respectful note from the bronies. Let's just hope that Hasbro takes no serious consequences out of this mess.

Obi

Post by Obi » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:01 pm

I just got this in an email from LPU Relief:
You may be asking why you are being asked to send money to a charity. The reason is that we have paid all the individuals that requested assistance, and the charities were also denied funds owed them because of the difficulties at Las Pegasus. We are now reimbursing the charities for the amount they were denied.
I really glad they made enough to start paying the charities. The charities loosing the money upset me the most. I hope when everything is over they say if the charities were paid back in full or not.

londonarbuckle

Post by londonarbuckle (?) » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:05 pm

Wait what, the charities are getting screwed now too? I guess I can't be surprised at this point. :facehoof:

Pineapple

Post by Pineapple » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:16 pm

Yeah the celeb dinner proceeds were supposed to go to Kiki's Cancer Fund and have not, IIRC. The only funds that did go where they should've were the charity auction with the proceeds benefiting Soren Roger's (Amy's son) school for non-verbal kids.

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:11 pm

So, wait, I get that the convention staff weren't able to pay the appearance fees or reimburse the hotel for the comped rooms because that was based on projected income from guests that never materialized, but... those charity auctions were held right there at the con. That money was supposed to have changed hands right then and there. If it too has somehow turned up missing, doesn't that mean the convention staff literally absconded with the donations?
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:29 am

Well, money like the VIP dinner fees were likely handled by the con heads. The reasonable thing would have been to send it to Kiki's fund immediately, but nothing about this convention is reasonable.

Vivianinatoga
Semper Pie

Post by Vivianinatoga (?) » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:42 am

I can't help but feel disappointed in myself when finding amusement in comparing the problems people are having with the LasPegAssist payment system to the problems of the con itself.
ImageImageImage

Obi

Post by Obi » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:51 am

Hey they're trying their best. :glare: But yeah, I think they might have to extend that Monday morning payment deadline. Some people sound confused still.

Dexanth
Celestia's Champions

Post by Dexanth (?) » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:56 am

I wonder if the $193k number I saw thrown around for rental fees alone is accurate.

synthorange

Post by synthorange » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:28 am

So where're the LPU staff now? Hiding in a hole?

EquestriaGuy

Post by EquestriaGuy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:57 am

synthorange wrote:So where're the LPU staff now? Hiding in a hole?
this house in Abbatabad, Pakistan

Factory Factory
nice box
Semper Pie

Post by Factory Factory (?) » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:00 am

This is the gosh-darn craziest thing, and kinda hard for me to follow. Can anyone sum up in brief what's known so far, or point me to a pre-made short summary?
There is no guarantee that the wizard selling you that bag full of magic sand is wearing pants underneath his robes.

Big Boss
A tourist trap that can surpass Mystery Shack?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:02 am

There's no way to shorten it. Read my report on the front page.

http://www.roundstable.com/2013/03/01/f ... s-pegasus/

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:29 am

EquestriaGuy wrote:
this house in Abbatabad, Pakistan

Considering the Pakistani government leveled the complex in early 2012, after the events of Operation Neptune Spear, it seems appropriate the staffers are hiding in nothing :-P
ImageImageImageImageImage

Headless Horse

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:33 am

They're hiding in the Justice Hole

Dexanth
Celestia's Champions

Post by Dexanth (?) » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:38 am

Well, they kicked up a lovely smoke cloud and then vanished, a Justice Hole is as good as anything else.

eXAKR

Post by eXAKR » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:38 am

Latest info from the Unicon Google doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-G4 ... edit?pli=1 :

"Sandi is reportedly planning to sue EFN for slander/libel. Information comes from PurpleTinker"

Now, I know PurpleTinker is a drama queen and all, and her info might be not reliable. But if this is indeed true, then things are definitely going straight into the ridiculous territory.

Big Boss
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:46 am

That document has gotten a lot more comprehensive since the last time I saw it.

I really want to gem mine this thread but because this is still ongoing I can't do it yet. :fluttersmith: Maybe it's time for a LPU consequences thread or something.

Dexanth
Celestia's Champions

Post by Dexanth (?) » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:51 am

A lawsuit for slander/libel would be...

Well, the only part of it I would find at all :fluttersmith: is EFR having to spend money on a lawyer for something patently absurd, because actually -winning- a slander/libel suit in America has an incredibly high burden of proof to overcome. Doubly so when they can't seem to actually account for any of the money.

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:01 am

This Sandi person sounds like a real piece of work.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:08 am

Man, now this is hard. Do I believe Sandi or Purple Tinker? It's like comparing extremely unprofessional with, well, extremely unprofessional.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:24 am

Dexanth wrote:Doubly so when they can't seem to actually account for any of the money.
On that note, where would Sandi find the cash to pay for her legal counsel? I mean, surely LPU and thus she lost all sorts of money, didn't it? :v:

ROBOT B9

Post by ROBOT B9 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:26 am

Wow. Just finished reading this thread and it sounded like an absolute nightmare to go through that.

BackgroundPony
I'm ready to initiate self-destruct sequence.
Faithful Students
Patreon supporter

Post by BackgroundPony (?) » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:26 am

It's amazing how people involved in running a con can let the power go to their heads. Calm down a bit, you're just organizing a big party for nerds. It's like someone needs to follow them around and whisper memento mori in their ear constantly. If these people really think they're this important out in the cold hard world, they're going to get a rude awakening. And really this is the only reason I can come up with to explain that behavior. The perception of power and importance going to someone's head. Unless, of course, this is just someone spreading false rumours and drama.

Scuderia
Tired,
but
Strong
Fashion Queens

Post by Scuderia (?) » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:42 am

Yuck - they call it "Dox dropping". They got her work history etc going back ten years.
I keep forgetting how gross some of these channers can be.

PT is like a fandom hanger-on after her semi-catastrophic January Bronycon. Also has an account here. No idea if she was even AT the con. Some people really go after drama. :facehoof:

Even with a budget shortfall a competent team would not have this much drama and lack of transparency.

Hooooooo doggie :bluh: "Don't give anonymous a cause to rally around." Now that's an understatement. Shame they can't do anything constrictive.
\/
Last edited by Scuderia on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:53 am

If there's one thing I've learned about 4chan, it is generally a good idea NOT to give them a cause to rally around, ESPECIALLY if it means tracking somebody down. I remember some time ago that there was this one idiot who posted a picture of just his shoes but he was standing in a tray of lettuce at a burger king or something, commenting that "this is what they serve you" or somesuch. Within 12 hours channers had figured out the exact restaurant the guy was working at.

Hi.

Post by Hi. (?) » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:05 pm

Scuderia Ferrarity wrote:Yuck - they call it "Dox dropping". They got her work history etc going back ten years.
I keep forgetting how gross some of these channers can be.
This is actually them being pretty good about it. Under most circumstances you'd see a lot more personal (and dangerous) information in there like SSNs / Phone numbers / etc. Still.

ROBOT B9

Post by ROBOT B9 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:18 pm

So.....what has Anonymous done in terms of "internet vigilante" stuff? I know they were against Scientology to the extent that they protested for years, but that's the extent of my knowledge.

BackgroundPony
I'm ready to initiate self-destruct sequence.
Faithful Students
Patreon supporter

Post by BackgroundPony (?) » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:36 pm

Internet detectives always make me paranoid. I like my refuge in anonymity, thanks. Maybe it's a worry of the older generation of internet users has that the new generation doesn't seem to suffer from. Anyone about ten years younger seems to have no trouble putting their real name and info on Facebook, for example. Whereas I had to be forced into a Facebook account almost against my will, and I may log into it once a month at most. And when Google+ went real name only, I stopped using it entirely.

I guess it's just a different mentality when you grow up under a blanket of anonymity versus the modern idea of just being yourself on the internet. I just don't want to hear "so, you like little girls shows, eh?" in a job interview one day.

Dexanth
Celestia's Champions

Post by Dexanth (?) » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:44 pm

ROBOT B9 wrote:So.....what has Anonymous done in terms of "internet vigilante" stuff? I know they were against Scientology to the extent that they protested for years, but that's the extent of my knowledge.
They're generally involved in various hacktivist stuff, and I want to say they were fairly involved in the SOPA/PIPA stuff a year ago. The thing is anon is very decentralized; it'd be like if the 50 states of the US started doing separate things, yet all claimed to be under the banner of America.

nimrod
yee
The Great and Powerful Trixsters

Post by nimrod (?) » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:46 pm

BackgroundPony wrote:Internet detectives always make me paranoid. I like my refuge in anonymity, thanks. Maybe it's a worry of the older generation of internet users has that the new generation doesn't seem to suffer from. Anyone about ten years younger seems to have no trouble putting their real name and info on Facebook, for example. Whereas I had to be forced into a Facebook account almost against my will, and I may log into it once a month at most. And when Google+ went real name only, I stopped using it entirely.

I guess it's just a different mentality when you grow up under a blanket of anonymity versus the modern idea of just being yourself on the internet. I just don't want to hear "so, you like little girls shows, eh?" in a job interview one day.
You're probably right since what you say sounds to me like something my mom would fret about.
As to the latest LPU developments, I literally cannot even fathom what processes take place inside that Sandi woman's head.
ice cold spite etc

londonarbuckle

Post by londonarbuckle (?) » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:51 pm

Wait I'm confused, what does Anonymous have to do with this? Are you all just using them as a comparison for that gross Google Doc or have the internet detectives actually thrown that name around in connection with their sleuthing?

The LPU story might be reaching self-parody levels.

Nissl

Post by Nissl » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:54 pm

ROBOT B9 wrote:So.....what has Anonymous done in terms of "internet vigilante" stuff? I know they were against Scientology to the extent that they protested for years, but that's the extent of my knowledge.
This is probably getting too far off-topic, but since you're asking... I helped out a lot on their PR and white hat stuff during the Arab Spring, running a lot of their Facebook pages as the one non-anonymous member (which, oddly enough, led me to pony via an activist's Twitter avatar). I was proud to keep pages going that were generally 12-24 hours ahead of media outlets, specifically because I spent a ton of time learning which personal sources on Twitter and other media sites were reliable. The few times I logged into their chat I *did* see them helping people make activists embedded behind the lines in places like Libya more anonymous, which felt good. They also ran dialup servers in Europe and other options for circumventing internet takedowns. That said, most of their activity at that time was still kids who were happy to have consequences-free targets for DDOS and SQL injection attacks, and most of the people who were heavily involved had serious issues, to put it mildly.

Edit: but "anonymous" doesn't have much to do with the LPU investigation, and I don't think they do much anymore in general.
Last edited by Nissl on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Big Boss
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:55 pm

In other news, Tara's check bounced too.

Check fraud across state and international borders? It's one thing to stiff people, but writing multiple fraudulent checks tends not to bode well for someone's freedom...

On that document, I'm of two minds. On one hand, it's a _great_ overview of what happened. On the other hand, I don't care for internet detectiving, but the person (people?) who have control of that particular doc seem to be pretty responsible with it. It's MUCH more organized and detailed on what exactly went wrong with Unicon as opposed to saying "This is this person, find them and make them miserable." Since it's restricted to specific editors, I don't think it will be defaced or otherwise mutilated. However, I don't really like encouraging people acting as vigilante PIs. I'm... conflicted.
Wait I'm confused, what does Anonymous have to do with this? Are you all just using them as a comparison for that gross Google Doc or have the internet detectives actually thrown that name around in connection with their sleuthing?
It's not the doing of "anonymous" specifically, more that it's some individuals within /mlp/ who have put it together.

edit: also, for more reading material, here's DHN's con report.

http://www.derpyhoovesnews.com/editoria ... on-rising/