The Gender and Sexual Minorities Thread II: So Many Wonders

Where only the shiniest threads are preserved for all to see.
Skipper

Re: The Gender and Sexual Minorities Thread II: So Many Wonders

Post by Skipper » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:45 am

My sincerest congratulations, Logicgate, I am very very happy for you. I hope your future has nothing but happiness for you in store. Reading about your journey and its wonderful conclusion has been inspiring and very touching. Especially this quote right here,
Logicgate wrote: Bandages are off! Oh my gosh I've seen it. :awesomedash: :awesomedash:

I'm finally free
honestly brought tears to my eyes.

(Actually, it still does.)

Inkie
Princesses of Soul

Post by Inkie (?) » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:59 am

That is so good to hear, Logicgate. Enjoy your peace and victory. :)

Perpetual Motion
Enthusiasm makes everything an adventure.

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:48 pm

I shaved with an actual razor and trimmed away my sideburns today, and I look really good. :allears:

I just wish shaving didn't take a half hour just for my face, and that's with me missing a million spots. How in the world to people stay clean-shaven all the time?

Momo
THIS IS FINE.
Applejack's Aces

Post by Momo (?) » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:50 pm

Practice. You'll get the hang of a wet razor.

Logicgate

Post by Logicgate (?) » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:00 pm

Momar wrote:
Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:24 am
That's what
is for. Let's hear it, LG! :allears:
Tablet typing is hard, but I get to walk and sit up fully today so I may be able to laptop post instead

Coyote

Post by Coyote » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:08 pm

Yay Logicgate way to go that's so great :yay:

So today I did something that well, it's probably small in the great scheme of things but I'm really happy with it!, I actually went outside with an orange nail polish, I know it's something so little even laughable or silly, I mean it's just nail polish but I was so nervous in the beginning!, hiding my hands as much as possible and then as time passed I started to relax more until I started to walk like a normal human being, I went to eat some food with a friend (I talked about him before), we started talking, I got better and I felt more relaxed, anxiety is a huge pain in the ass too but in the end it was an enjoyable day.

It was essentialy me like this
(not actual picture of today but it's the same nail polish :vogue: ) the whole day outisde and eating at the mall food court.

Ninetails

Post by Ninetails (?) » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:03 am

Came out to my brother just now.

His reaction was... :-I . He was just really :-I about it. Just sort of said 'okay' to everything and said I might need to remind him about my name and pronouns.

I... think this means it went really well?

Either way I haven't stopped panicking and I'm holding a fox plush right now and browsing tumblr until my heart calms down.

I have this weird feeling that everything's gonna come crashing down around me, but at the same time after watching the LEGO Movie a couple of days ago and Howl's Moving Castle right now, I feel... at least reckless enough to try handling things.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:09 am

Well, from the sounds of it he's surprised, which isn't unusual. It's a good sign that he told you to remind him of your name and pronouns, which means he wants to make the effort to adjust to what you told him. That's a big plus, IMO.

Mir
Apple Artisans

Post by Mir (?) » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:48 am

Go Kate! :awesomedash:

Coming out to anyone takes a lot of guts. From the sounds of things, he took it pretty well.

Logicgate

Post by Logicgate (?) » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:48 am

Hope is the thing with fetters
That crouches in the soul
That beats the cadence -- and cracks the whip
And never stops at all

And harshest in the storm is felt
And careless in the gale
Of those whose backs must bear the welts
Or else the voyage fail

We run aground on rocky shore
And climb the cliffs above
She holds me, strokes my broken sores
And whispers of her love

Logicgate

Post by Logicgate (?) » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:36 am

More straightforwardly, hope, without any real plausibility of success has been what sustained me for years, at times again st what felt like my best interests. In spite of which... Hope brought me here. I wouldn't be alive without the hope I held that somehow, someday, there would be a way to win.

And so the impossible becomes that thing I did almost a week ago

ShieldedDiamond

Post by ShieldedDiamond » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:17 pm

Congratulations on coming out to your brother, Foxfyre! :)

------------------------------------------------------

Oh by the way, if I can make a quick comment, I'd like to be referred to by Diana. I'd kind of like to keep Dani as a nickname among friends (I feel it still works) but as for my full name, I prefer Diana. And I think I've settled on that. :allears:

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:01 pm

No problem, Diana! :allears:

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:04 pm

Diana is hell of a pretty name. :allears: A good choice!
Image /// Image /// Image

Inkie
Princesses of Soul

Post by Inkie (?) » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:53 pm

Plus, it sounds a bit like "diamond". A :vogue: name for a :vogue: lady.

Red Terra

Post by Red Terra (?) » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:59 pm

Huh, thought you'd go for Daniella but Diana is nice too :allears:

And congrats on bringing yourself to come out to your brother, Kate :yay:

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:18 pm

Well, well, well. Guess who's gonna kick the bucket?

The biggest surprise is that he was ex-communicated from his church last year.

Mordja

Post by Mordja » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:43 pm

Couldn't have happened to a nicer person. :pinkietoot:

Momo
THIS IS FINE.
Applejack's Aces

Post by Momo (?) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:01 am

I'd like to cut off any celebratory posts before they go off the rails. I do not give a shit what he did, or how much better things will be without him poisoning the minds of his friends and family, it is not okay to rejoice over the death of another human being.

That being said, I'm glad he won't be able to hurt any more people, least of all the broken family that was and will continue to be the Westboro Baptist Church. Remember, they may be hateful and bigoted, but they're also victims of the rankest Manson-eqsue abuse at the hands of this person. Abuses that were only allowed to continue because of a social and institutional attitude of inviolabilty towards a religious institution which had long since disowned them. He was an awful man, to be sure. And I am glad he's dead. But that doesn't mean it'd be okay for me to laugh about it or dance on his grave. So please keep the conversation well removed from jubilance.

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:28 am

Dancing on his grave or no, the human race will be better off without him and I can only hope he'll be happy with whatever he finds on the other side. (But in, you know, an unpleasant, ironical sort of way.)

Momo
THIS IS FINE.
Applejack's Aces

Post by Momo (?) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:33 am

Wishing eternal torture on him seems... somehow worse. And yes, I'm aware that that was basically what he did to everyone in life. Big irony party up in here. But two wrongs don't make a right.

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:36 am

Momar wrote:
Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:33 am
Wishing eternal torture on him seems... somehow worse. And yes, I'm aware that that was basically what he did to everyone in life. Big irony party up in here. But two wrongs don't make a right.
I never wished eternal torture on him. As far as I'm concerned the infinite nothingness that most likely awaits all of us when we die is irony enough for a man who spent this life obsessing over the next.
Last edited by Weird Autumn on Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Momo
THIS IS FINE.
Applejack's Aces

Post by Momo (?) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:53 am

Fair enough.

Snowfire
Night Mares

Post by Snowfire (?) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:58 am

[quote="Opposing post_id=54481 time=1395030960 user_id=127]I never wished eternal torture on him. As far as I'm concerned the eternal nothingness that most likely awaits all of us when we die is irony enough for a man who spent this life obsessing over the next.[/quote]

And this is now getting into "religious debate" territory. Can we please not do this, especially when some of us have family members that are on death's door as it is? :fluttersmith:

Name: Tammy

Momo
THIS IS FINE.
Applejack's Aces

Post by Momo (?) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:02 am

Topic change: Neil Patrick Harris' family has America's most adorable Halloween costumes

ShieldedDiamond

Post by ShieldedDiamond » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:28 am

Why is Neil Patrick Harris and family so amazing? :awesomedash:

Aurora

Post by Aurora » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:12 am

But it's March!

ROBOT B9

Post by ROBOT B9 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:19 am

Neil Patrick Harris can do whatever he wants. If he says it's Halloween, you better have a costume on by the end of the day.

Hi.

Post by Hi. (?) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:23 am

Momar wrote:
Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:02 am
Topic change: Neil Patrick Harris' family has America's most adorable Halloween costumes
I have a signed photo of him in my room, addressed to me. Was a birthday present from an actress cousin who knows him, and it's one of my favorite gifts. It's pretty keen.

CorvusCaw
Maud Squad

Post by CorvusCaw (?) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:28 am

So I talked to my mom today, and told her pretty much everything that I'd been keeping in for the last 20 years, and especially the last nine months. I tried to do it in the morning, but she started talking about sports, money, St. Patrick's Day and her cat and I didn't get a chance to change the subject. Felt bad about it and tried to go back to sleep, but something woke me up a few minutes later and I decided to try calling again.

She seemed a little surprised, but she wasn't mad or upset. In light of all the social issues and other problems I've had since childhood, it sort of made sense to her once I put it out there, or something. She admitted she didn't know much about transgenderism, but she knows that it is a real thing that exists; I made her promise to not look it up online, because old people looking for information on the Internet tends to lead to terrible things. I told her I'd answer any questions she has, and she said that would be OK, but she didn't know what to ask... so I guess it needs to sink in for a couple days first. She still wants me to come visit her in Olympia in late June/early July.

Then she told me that I'm still her child, still the same person who came from inside her and she'll still support me no matter what... and is pretty sure that my dad will feel the same way. Which is something, I suppose. Kinda feel like I don't deserve it.

I still have a lot of things that cause me stress/anxiety, but at least talking to my mom doesn't have to be one of them. I spent years being withholding and blatantly lying to my parents, not just about these feelings, but about all sorts of things, because I felt like I had to in order to keep them from being ashamed of me. Feel like I can tell her just about anything now, though :pinkieshrug: I just wish I'd opened up to her years ago; can't change the past though.

so that's done
ImageImageImageImageImage

Ninetails

Post by Ninetails (?) » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:39 pm

Armpit hair is sooo icky. I hate looking at it, touching it, thinking of touching it, just generally knowing it exists, ew ew ewwwww :whine:

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:40 pm

27 beautiful portraits that show just how diverse LGBTQ is. Stunning. :allears:
Image /// Image /// Image

Chaos Sonic
Faithful Students

Post by Chaos Sonic (?) » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:11 am

ixnay wrote: Following the pattern of the last couple of months, a federal judge threw out Michigan's marriage ban today.
My local county court has chosen to open today for several hours to give out marriage licenses, and has lowered the fee to skip the three day waiting period from $50 to $0.01. So a friend of mine with all the credentials to perform marriages is going out to the courthouse today to perform marriages for any that want them, and I'm going out to be part of the supporting crowd. :awesomedash:

Logicgate

Post by Logicgate (?) » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:51 am

Woke up with some bad mental weather:

First time I was awakened by a woman screaming in pain the next room over, likely someone having an extremely difficult time with dilation. The next time it was by a nurse from the clinic, come to poke at my vulva. The third time it was a loud knock at the door, with no one there.

Weird door shit is a trigger for my PTSD. It's much easier to handle now that I've got some coping mechanisms (and, not to mention, now that the pants situation is less of a drain on my mental resources). But it took me a while to get my mind to a good and relaxed place. One of the things my friend is good at is feeling safe to be around, so having this space not be wholly my own was just fine with me.

And so I was able to relax, and have a smoothie at the hotel's restaurant and watch some Avatar: The Last Airbender and generally be incredibly lazy. The guy who works the bar is incredibly cute, although I am not permitted to have sexual thoughts until next week. And my roomie had a hilarious battle with a new ketchup bottle, which she REFUSED to abandon, despite having been offered a different ketchup bottle that was much, much easier to work with (I used it quickly, set it back down and continued to watch her struggle with interest).

And we chatted about stuff, and it helped me calm down and get relaxed, which is really the key to having dilation not be miserable.

This is my life right now: spend my day mostly doing things I want to do, with a couple hours devoted to doing painful things that are very important in supporting the things I want to do.

I'm enjoying it. I've earned it. :smug:

Chaos Sonic
Faithful Students

Post by Chaos Sonic (?) » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:47 pm

Can't stop smiling. Smile muscles sore, but too full of joy to stop. Full trip report after I get some sleep. :-I

BackgroundPony
I'm ready to initiate self-destruct sequence.
Faithful Students
Patreon supporter

Post by BackgroundPony (?) » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:35 pm

[quote="Chaos post_id=54572 time=1395472260 user_id=92]My local county court has chosen to open today for several hours to give out marriage licenses, and has lowered the fee to skip the three day waiting period from $50 to $0.01. So a friend of mine with all the credentials to perform marriages is going out to the courthouse today to perform marriages for any that want them, and I'm going out to be part of the supporting crowd. :awesomedash:[/quote]

Can't wait for the trip report on this. I must be overly emotional today, because just reading that made me start sniffling for some reason.

ShieldedDiamond

Post by ShieldedDiamond » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:53 pm

Built up some courage, bought several pieces of female clothing at the mall today. Here I was worried about being judged, and all that happened was the sales clerk said she liked my nails. It was a good day. :vogue:

Momo
THIS IS FINE.
Applejack's Aces

Post by Momo (?) » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:16 pm

I have never once had a women's clothing store clerk bat an eye when I'm trying on female clothes. Wherever you are, you're more than likely not the first.

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:24 pm

When I realised how huge the trans community is in my city, I stopped worrying about it. The only thing I get when I come out of the changing room is the assistant saying "any luck?". Also, I think the look on one guy's face when I was presenting as male, strutting up to the counter with a rather delicate piece of underwear, was precious. I just had to wink at him and smile, I couldn't help but make this more awkward for him.
👉👉🥜🏠

londonarbuckle

Post by londonarbuckle (?) » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:29 pm

Momar wrote:
Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:16 pm
I have never once had a women's clothing store clerk bat an eye when I'm trying on female clothes. Wherever you are, you're more than likely not the first.
I did the one time I actually tried to and I haven't gotten myself to try again since. :fluttersmith: