[REQUEST] Can we have a town hall?

There are too many subforums. Please eliminate three.
ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

[REQUEST] Can we have a town hall?

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:26 am

Hi. I like our use of Discord and feel it could be good in bringing up a few issues that could both increase traffic to the forums and improve general quality of life.

1. The smilies should include a good sampling of all the ponies and should be generally renamed and rearranged for ease of use. :idea:
2. My posts keep getting moved to an unnecessary forum that should exist on the same level of PPPP or not at all. :glare:

That's about it. I feel talking over these things and any other concerns live over discord could help. Thanks! :-P
ImageImageImage

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Re: [REQUEST] Can we have a town hall?

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:31 am

ToastGhost wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:26 am
2. My posts keep getting moved to an unnecessary forum that should exist on the same level of PPPP or not at all. :glare:
We've had this discussion before. The consensus reached was that I wouldn't immediately move threads that had anything to do with video games at all, but rather move them if they actually generated any discussion beyond low-effort shitposts. With that in mind, I moved your thread after a day since it was getting actual discussion (those posts about the Final Fantasy series). Do you feel this was too hasty?

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:21 pm

Fizzbuzz wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:31 am
We've had this discussion before. The consensus reached was that I wouldn't immediately move threads that had anything to do with video games at all, but rather move them if they actually generated any discussion beyond low-effort shitposts. With that in mind, I moved your thread after a day since it was getting actual discussion (those posts about the Final Fantasy series). Do you feel this was too hasty?
Is that the consensus you got from that thread?? I thought things were finally in motion to move or merge the thing back since it has no purpose other than to let threads just die :twonk:
ImageImageImageImage

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:24 pm

It's all I can do, at least. I had brought up moving Funland Arcade back under PPPP as a subforum, but I cannot actually do that myself.

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:25 pm

I have no qualms against you, Fizz!!!

Just in case it seemed like I was mad at you instead of frustrated at the situation. :-I
ImageImageImageImage

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:46 am

Does my first point or surrounding topics warrant any merit? I more wanted to use this as an opportunity to talk about any issues we were facing, and then suggested we use discord for it since that promotes more active discussion.

Between this and the idea I had for roles on the discord for pronoun roles, I feel like some of my better ideas are getting ignored. :deflated:
ImageImageImage

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:49 am

Regarding the smilies, are there any specific suggestions you had? They're already pretty heavily categorized (click the "view more smilies" link when posting, there's a drop-down menu) and we still have a ton of them between the Mane Six, Spike, the CMC, the show's secondary characters, and all the various background ponies who merited enough attention to get at least one.

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:13 pm

Fizzbuzz wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:31 am
The consensus reached was that I wouldn't immediately move threads that had anything to do with video games at all, but rather move them if they actually generated any discussion beyond low-effort shitposts.
this sort of thing is actually kinda shit if it's the case for my doom/animal crossing meme thread, because here's the thing: I intended the thread to just be a shitpost thread showing off stuff from a fun meme going around that happens to be about a video game, but for whatever reason, some folks decided to start up an conversation about the wii u, and despite me just continuing to add stuff about the meme, the thread was dumped into the games forum

now, I can only assume that's the case because I have near zero context as to why my thread was moved there, just that I have your word on your current thought process, no idea if it's the same thought process other mods would use, and the content posted in the topic itself to try and piece together why.

like, the problem is that if it was a more actual serious discussion from the start, then yeah, move it to the funland arcade, and while it might get reduced traffic cause users don't usually post in there nearly as much as they do PPPP, you'll still get some people posting sometimes (though my shit is too rambly so they don't actually give a fuck, I guess :pinkieshrug: ), but for shitpost/meme threads getting put in funland arcade, it kinda feels like a death sentence cause no one who would post about the meme would actually care enough to post in funland arcade much, if at all

so it just kinda leaves it at this aggravating situation. When does a video game related meme thread tip over from being just a meme shitpost thread into something that should be moved to the video game forum? Like you say that if there's actual discussion being generated, and not just shitposts, it should get moved, but what about if that happens despite the OP's actual intentions? Does that mean that the OP's intentions mean nothing because entirely different posters wanted to have a quick serious discussion because it's kinda related?

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:53 pm

Aria Genisi wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:13 pm
When does a video game related meme thread tip over from being just a meme shitpost thread into something that should be moved to the video game forum? Like you say that if there's actual discussion being generated, and not just shitposts, it should get moved, but what about if that happens despite the OP's actual intentions?
I'm not sure there's always a clear answer to that, but I'll try to explain my thought process. In any threads I've moved to Funland Arcade lately (and I was the one who moved yours, by the way), what I've done is always let them stay in PPPP the day they're posted so they can get at least some traction, no matter what direction the conversation goes in. After that is when I'll consider moving it, depending roughly on a function of how much it might annoy people who aren't interested in serious discussion of video games vs. what the OP originally intended. (I do realize this sounds a bit silly as I write it.) In your thread's case I decided to move it this morning since it had gotten so much other discussion that I felt it'd be a better fit in Funland Arcade, which is at least nominally a place for shitposts and memes as well.

I do have more tools available than just moving threads. For example, I could split posts like those where I and others were discussing the fate of the Wii U and purchasing options for the Switch out into existing or new threads. I don't use that much since it feels almost aggressive vs. merely moving a thread, but it is an option.

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:22 pm

I'd say if a person intends to post in PPPP than let them, it's already a shitpost free for all. If anything else, open up another shitpost free-for-all at the bottom called The Testing Zone for even more unregulated content and whatever sort of threads, pony, nonpony, avatar tests, jokes and songs, etc.

I'm being completely serious about this, but will digress to acknowledge previous points. Currently the smileys on the right side of full editor and preview are the following in order. :-D :-P :cry: :-I :smirk: :pinkieshrug: :flimflam:

Okay let's hold the fuck up right there why are flim and flam so high on the list? :sweetielarm: Intuitively this list should be sorted by whichever gets the most use, maybe awesomedash or a pinkie emote or something. Like we don't need weird al on the main group of smileys either. :hiii:

I am also willing to put myself forward to do this stuff, knowing HTML/CSS/Javascript/Python/inner workings of phpBB having used it for about 15 years now, and I also moderate a discord server or two so would be no stranger to that as well for the things like assigning gender roles, name colors, etc since others seem unwant to do it.

There are problems, I am here, I am willing to fix problems and generally keep an eye on the place as I did with Bronycon Security for 3 years. I think I know how to run a comfortable and safe place more or less. I am also here if you need smilies rearranged, back-end support, front-end support, database support.

Just either address some of these issues or delegate because right now at least a couple people are unhappy with basic quality of life stuff. :here:
ImageImageImage

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:17 pm

Fizzbuzz wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:53 pm
I'm not sure there's always a clear answer to that, but I'll try to explain my thought process. In any threads I've moved to Funland Arcade lately (and I was the one who moved yours, by the way), what I've done is always let them stay in PPPP the day they're posted so they can get at least some traction, no matter what direction the conversation goes in. After that is when I'll consider moving it, depending roughly on a function of how much it might annoy people who aren't interested in serious discussion of video games vs. what the OP originally intended. (I do realize this sounds a bit silly as I write it.) In your thread's case I decided to move it this morning since it had gotten so much other discussion that I felt it'd be a better fit in Funland Arcade, which is at least nominally a place for shitposts and memes as well.

I do have more tools available than just moving threads. For example, I could split posts like those where I and others were discussing the fate of the Wii U and purchasing options for the Switch out into existing or new threads. I don't use that much since it feels almost aggressive vs. merely moving a thread, but it is an option.
move the thread back you goofball

it's not that hard, you see how upset the OP is, just put it back.
ImageImageImageImage

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:25 pm

just merge pppp and funland arcade, like let's be real here, we don't have the numbers or activity we used to, games aren't going to take over pppp. Both barely have the activity they used to.
ImageImage Image Image

;) ❤️ :twasnothin: ❤️ :fancyhat:

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:25 pm

DaikatunaRevengeance wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:25 pm
just merge pppp and funland arcade, like let's be real here, we don't have the numbers or activity we used to, games aren't going to take over pppp. Both barely have the activity they used to.
ImageImageImageImage

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:29 pm

DaikatunaRevengeance wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:25 pm
Seconded.
ImageImageImage

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:36 pm

Personally I'd rather keep them separate, since I find the separation of Funland Arcade a useful tool for finding threads by subject. If I want to see new posts from all across the forums, I use the new posts view (accessible from the quick links menu in the top left) for that, but I don't know how widely others use it.

In that vein, would it help if I consider more heavily the original subject of a thread when considering moving a thread, as Genisi described? That is to say, instead of moving her thread because of reaction to the way the discussion went the same day it got posted, I can instead consider splitting threads more if they get derailed into actual discussion about a game vs. jokes about a game.

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:50 pm

i think it would be better to not have such an itchy trigger finger when considering moving threads and actually consider what the actual intent of the topic was. Like, if you look at the topic, yeah there's some vaguely related offtopic discussion, but it wasn't what the topic started as, and it was pretty clear that as the OP, i was intending on continuing how I started the thread.

You don't have to do anything about it. You could just leave it alone for a few days and see if it continues to live or just die off entirely, as opposed to jumping the gun and going "well, there's a serious video game discussion here, I may as well move it to the video game forum now.

Frankly, it's the speed at which these topics might be moved at is what I find most aggravating (aside from it happening to begin with). Like, with the Animal Crossing/Doom meme thread, it extremely was just immediately making a rash judgement call just from an off topic discussion that was tangentially related

Like, I appreciate that you want what's best and that you feel that doing this sort of thing would help, and maybe in some ways it does, but in some cases like these, it feels like you're way too quick to jump in and try to take care of things, when in reality, the thread might just stick around for a day or two and then everyone forgets about it or leaves it alone, or isn't interested, or whatever. And instead of actually helping things, it ends up annoying some folks (usually the OP) when they make a shitpost topic and then almost immediately, instead of giving it a chance to see if it'll even stick around, it's quickly banished elsewhere, where it kinda ruins whatever momentum the topic had to begin with

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:00 pm

Okay, I can wait longer than a day on potentially moving threads. Would around a week to consider whether a thread became serious be more reasonable?

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:33 pm

While I get you'd personally keep them separated, do any other ponygoon leaders want to chime in? On any of the above points listed? :rariwhat:

Right now we have one moderator addressing several issues and it's both inefficient and ineffective. As others stated, nothing against Fizzbuzz, but someone could, you know... just move Aria's thread back. Like this is not a difficult solution, just allow people to post where they intended.

Which is mostly PPPP anyway, and that's fine. :pinkieshrug:
ImageImageImage

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:42 pm

Yeah seriously, and stop going "Oh should I just wait longer" like for pete's sake people are posting where they want to post. If you want to, just delete funland arcade instead, there's no reason to be moving threads in the first place.
ImageImageImageImage

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:44 pm

And your whole "You can post silly things in the Funland Arcade" argument is completely nonsensical when your criteria for what gets moved is "The discussion is getting more serious" you can't have both
ImageImageImageImage

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:54 pm

I had to go through those posts and make sure Gloomy didn't swear but that just tells you how serious they are. :pcstare:
ImageImageImage

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:07 pm

There are still threads left displaced, better ideas are being ignored, and we have no ability to fix issues as we stand before you. Do as you will. :here:
ImageImageImage

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:15 pm

I still think less forums would be better for TRS as a whole. Like do we really gain much from the current layout these days?

Edit: there are some that should be seperate, obviously (the meet up forum, the cottage, soapbox, the games one), due to their nature, but the others seem more flexible.
ImageImage Image Image

;) ❤️ :twasnothin: ❤️ :fancyhat:

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:40 pm

Hi, there are still a few displaced threads. Can you move that one of mine out of the cottage? The poll and shitposts kinda... conflict with the cottage mood. :nngh:

And then I'd still like smilies organized by frequency of use as a decent quality of life improvement, save having to open up the more smileys window almost every time. :v:
ImageImageImage

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:53 pm

ToastGhost wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:40 pm
And then I'd still like smilies organized by frequency of use as a decent quality of life improvement, save having to open up the more smileys window almost every time. :v:
I don't think there's an automatic way of doing it, short of using or writing a phpBB extension that scrapes the database every so often to calculate whichever smilies are used the most and reordering them thusly (and I don't know if one even exist), but they can be reordered manually. That'd be busywork for one of the admins.

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:10 pm

I think EZBoard let you order them by frequency of use. It was one of those free board systems, anyway, the one I used to run a forum on ages ago. :v:

But yeah PHPBB has some really weird missing features, that being one of them.
ImageImageImageImage