PL1E23-24: Pie vs. Pie/Superb Six/The Debut Taunt/Flutterdash

Episode, movie, and comic book discussion threads are kept here once they have been released.

Moderators: Wayoshi, Venusy

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

PL1E23-24: Pie vs. Pie/Superb Six/The Debut Taunt/Flutterdash

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:44 am

Pie vs. Pie
Pinkie Pie finds herself in a cupcake contest with her oldest rival, her brother.

Superb Six
The Superb Six (AKA the Mane 6) serve up lifestyle tips and beauty tricks when Snips and Snails come to them for help.

The Debut Taunt
[No synopsis available.]

Flutterdash
[No synopsis available.]
Here comes another pile of small horses! You know how it goes at this point: get on Discord to watch it live, then post about it here. Treehouse is airing them again at 10:50 AM Eastern, which looks to be their normal time from here on out.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Re: PONY LIFE 23-24: Pie vs. Pie/Superb Six/The Debut Taunt/Flutterdash

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:18 pm

I think I'm going to forever wonder what the concept behind Octavio Pie is. Was he initially developed for FiM, unused, and someone at Boulder Media got word of him hitting DHX's cutting room floor? We never saw him in any of FiM's leaked development documents, but he does have the same gray color scheme as all of her sisters in FiM, so he'd certainly fit if that's where his idea first came up. Overall, very odd.

I wonder if Superb Six was supposed to evoke the Fab Five of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. That show stopped airing 13 years ago, so it strikes me as a rather deep cut of a reference, but maybe that's there to meet Pony Life's quota of jokes and references for parents watching with their kids.

The Debut Taunt, on reflection, was a genuinely nice episode. It had enough heart that I feel it would've been worth running as a two-parter (or even a whole 22 minutes, but that seems to be an eternity these days), but perhaps it's a testament to the crew getting comfortable enough with the format that they can do a story like that in just five minutes.

SigmasonicX

Post by SigmasonicX (?) » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:05 am

First episode was alright. Despite introducing a new Pie sibling, Octavio, it didn't really stand out for that. Fat Twilight and the return of Buttershy honestly felt like the more interesting part of the episode.

Fat Twilight

Snips and Snails showing up in the second story was unexpected. It was an odd story in that they were clearly setting up for Snips and Snails to embarrass themselves at the gala, but Pinkie actually realizes the mistake before they can actually go inside and no one gets embarrassed.

Twilight and Rarity high hoof

The second episode was more entertaining. The first story had a ton of Rarity, so it was fantastic, of course. Though even so, the conflict of the episode was oddly light.

Rarity's entrance

Another short Rarity song

Rarity inviting the others

No talking!

Rarity crying

The second story was pretty interesting, and had a fun concept. And then, of course, there's the hilarious ending.

Transformation sequence

Track run

Tug of war

Buckball ending

Looking at next week's synopses, we're continuing the Sportactular Spectacular. We're also getting episode 26 next week, which involves the closing ceremonies, and no episodes have been announced past that point. I suppose that means it's the season finale. Possibly the series finale.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:07 am

Pie vs Pie and Flutterdash were PAINFUL to watch.
I HATE Octavio Pie for every aspect. I strongly believe he's adopted.

Flutterdash on the other hand is differently terrible. Sure the message is "to be yourself" but impersonating as a different person in a sports competition is fraud or against the rules of the competition. Having Fluttershy change size there is sooo wrong.
The only chuckle it got me when Rarity saw Fluttershy after her transformation referencing in a weird way G3.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:33 am

Adiwan wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:07 am
Having Fluttershy change size there is sooo wrong.
Aside from the issue of Fluttershy impersonating someone else, I'm not sure that is wrong. Fluttershy's ability to change her size seems to be a natural gift of hers, not something that someone else is doing to help her cheat, so it'd be up to the sanctioning bodies for buckball and other Equestrian sports to determine standards of fairness (like how a lot of our sports are divided into weight classes, for instance). I assume she's far from the only one with some sort of extraordinary ability like that.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:48 am

That ability outright breaks the game by being able to occupy and block most of the available space on the field.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

PonyHag714
Here comes the helmet!

Post by PonyHag714 (?) » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:48 am

I've enjoyed Pony Life, I'd hate to see it end. :fluttersmith:
Image ("Don't try to reform me, Hag, because I'm made of cold stone.")

Hedonism Bot

Post by Hedonism Bot (?) » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:19 pm

Adiwan wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:48 am
That ability outright breaks the game by being able to occupy and block most of the available space on the field.
One of the trailers for the buckball episode showed a ball being levitated into a basket by an off-camera unicorn (which would break the game just as hard). Evidently, anything goes.

PonyHag714 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:48 am
I've enjoyed Pony Life, I'd hate to see it end. :fluttersmith:
The movie that's supposed to kick off G5 isn't due for over a year. Even if they planned on sweeping Pony Life aside at that point, they should still have time for one more season.