S09E19: Dragon Dropped

Episode, movie, and comic book discussion threads are kept here once they have been released.

Moderators: Wayoshi, Venusy

Wayoshi
Paper Fluts
Stare Masters

S09E19: Dragon Dropped

Post by Wayoshi (?) » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:56 pm

Rarity grows jealous when Spike eschews a gem cave mining session for hanging out with his penpal, Gabby the Griffin.
This thread is for discussion of the episode. This episode airs at 11:30 Eastern / 8:30 Pacific on Saturday, September 7!

Official preview clips and images are okay to post, as is speculation about the episode. Spoilers from non-US releases are NOT OK to post.

Early spoiler thread: http://roundstable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1972

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Re: S09E19: Dragon Dropped

Post by The Doctor (?) » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:43 pm

Wonder if this episode will put the final cap on Spike's crush.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:00 pm

A+ Tabs this episode :vogue:
ImageImageImageImageImage

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:02 pm

Sterling performance from Couch.

PonyHag714
Here comes the helmet!

Post by PonyHag714 (?) » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:08 pm

I liked the ep. Gabby was good as usual. It was nice to see her and Gallus finally have a scene together. Image

Rarity has never been my favorite of the Mane 6, and yet I'll miss her dramatics. :vogue:

Image "I ain't Spike!"
Image ("Don't try to reform me, Hag, because I'm made of cold stone.")

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:16 pm

Gabby being sad is one of the most depressing things this show's ever done. :fluttersmith:

Thinking about it now, I suppose this was only really meant to address what Rarity thought of Spike, not her dark side in general. Her skill for social manipulation would be frightening if her moral compass were even just a bit more off. It used to be that when something pushed her over the edge (as seen in Suited For Success) she'd be consumed by her own self-pity, but now that she has her resources as a fashion empress she's become that much more dangerous. More than any of the rest of her friends, I feel like Rarity serves as a cautionary tale.

CorvusCaw
Maud Squad

Post by CorvusCaw (?) » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:19 pm

Spike found somebody who genuinely liked being around him and wasn't out to manipulate him or prop herself up based on his opinions of her... and Rarity couldn't handle it... I don't know if I like that at this point, so close to the end of the series. I mean I've never liked the Rarity/Spike episodes in the first place. Like most others in this category, this one is carried by Tabitha's acting and the animation of Rarity's facial expressions, but the addition of Gabby helps salvage it a bit.
ImageImageImageImageImage

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:06 pm

I do love me some funny Rarity faces and great Tabitha noises. :allears:

But I didn't care for the episode overall. I just felt that Rarity was a bit too oblivious to what she was doing. After Gabby stormed out, I was hoping she would immediately see what she did was wrong, but nope. She has to go talk to Twilight.

And I've noticed in this second half that they're rushing to set up Twilight for leadership by having her help solve her friends problem, but, her friends have grown, and it would be nice to see them showing that they're ready to step up to bigger roles when Twilight takes over.

I think it once again shows the failure to utilize the school setting, and have the Mane 6 pass their wisdom onto the students. Instead we just see

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:39 pm

Spike’s had his moments and Rarity’s always awesome. I’m hyped.

• Be hilarious if the Diamond Dogs reappear just so Rarity has someone to hang out with.
• Spike’s gotta rush home, time for ponies!
• Really thought Rarity would rope Sweetie Belle into menial work, but AJ works too. We’ve had good AJ-Dash moments lately but AJ-Rarity’s been a while.
:wat: “This situation absolutely requires that a futile and fabulous gesture be done on somepony’s part!”
• I seriously don’t recognize Gabby Griffon even though I feel I should, and probably gushed about her when she appeared. Well, I guess I’m starting over. Gabby’s neat.
• Oh yeah the cutie mark thing, I think I remember that? :ponder:
• “Griffon the Brush Off” was the first pony episode I ever watched, so I’m feeling a weird sense of bookends now.
• Spike’s bed is cool.
:maneiac:
• It’s pretty clever, Rarity being possessive by being generous. That’s some good Rarity writing.
• Just leaving a trail of tear-stained fainting couches everywhere she goes.
• Is that a pony version of Archie Comics?!
• And at the wire, all the Mane Six have appeared! :party:

Yeah! This was a good ‘un. Every character was on point and the conflict developed pretty interestingly.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:55 am

Mechanical Ape wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:39 pm
• I seriously don’t recognize Gabby Griffon even though I feel I should, and probably gushed about her when she appeared. Well, I guess I’m starting over. Gabby’s neat.
Season 6, episode 9. "The Fault in our Cutie Marks."