[D&D5E] QUEEN OF THE DRAGON THRONE

Running Games and Taking Names (Forum Games: Mafia, RPGs, etc.)
Artificer

Re: [D&D5E] QUEEN OF THE DRAGON THRONE

Post by Artificer (?) » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:51 pm

Radiant thinks back to her visit to Las Pegasus during a short term studying abroad, and takes a deep breath and then slowly exhales. Wispy trails of clouds come out of her mouth and coalesce around her hooves, and suddenly she seems to be much, much faster.
(Level 1 spell slot expended for Expeditious Retreat via bonus action.)

She lunges forward with her new speed and tries to dash through the blockade to get as close as possible to the exit point, utilizing her speed to weave through the guards as much as possible to avoid giving them easy melee hits on her.

(1 full movement action, 1 Dash bonus action thanks to the spell)

While running, she fires a Ray of Frost at the enemy guard that is closest to either her or an ally.

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:58 pm

Wooten wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:43 pm
Ray casts Sanctuary on Bottle (For one minute enemies must make wisdom saves before attacking bottle, on a failed save they must choose a new target or lose their attack, 13 DC. Attacks from Bottle break the spell), and then gallops away from the camp as fast as possible (60feet, since he cast a spell).
The guard who readied at action responds to this by throwing a spear at Ray, and scoring a hit at that. He doesn't knock Blinding Ray out of his concentration, but he does shear him for 4 damage.

Radiant fires off a Ray of Frost at an enemy, but isn't able to land it while going at full speed apparently.

Two archers are aiming at the cart, and in a succession of plunks, they both manage to hit the cart, not doing any immediate damage but managing to start it aflame! You figure you have three rounds before this thing falls to pieces unless you can figure out a countermeasure.

Another archer aims at bottle, succeeds against the wisdom save, but then misses the shot by a hair. Last archer aims for Radiant, but misses.

Then Gothic shows up fashionably late to the party.

It's Bottle's turn again.
ImageImageImage

Frostymage

Post by Frostymage (?) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:25 pm

"The cart's on fire! Help put it out!" Bottle shouts to the ponies riding behind him, while also hoping that Radiant can hear him and cast ray of frost on it.

Bottle avoids the guard next to him as he runs away as fast as he can (disengage, move, dash).

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:59 pm

Bottle and the prisoners are clear of combat. The cart's still on fire and the ponies in back aren't having much luck putting it out, but some are even abandoning the cart and letting their own hooves carry them down the hill.

Two prisoners speak up: "I doubt they're going to let us get away that easy!" and "Should we split up?!"

During the guards movement, one runs over and tried to slash Ray, but catches the side of the tent instead. Bottommost guard uses a full move action to place himself next to Radiant. Last one charges after Ray, but doesn't make it off the map yet, meaning you still have a decent lead on these fellows.

Blinding Ray's turn. Not pictured, the guard directly in front of him to the south, and the opening he could take to the north to quickly escape off map.
ImageImageImage

Frostymage

Post by Frostymage (?) » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:45 am

"Stick together! We will get taken out one by one if we split!" Bottle shouts to the nervous prisoners.

Wooten
Semper Pie

Post by Wooten (?) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:50 pm

Ray gallops up alongside the cart and casts Cure wounds (1d8+7 healing) on the injured pony. "Get out of the cart, we need to move!!"

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:18 pm

Amidst the confusion of the escape, Ray realizes that the VIP isn't with Bottle! :flail:

Radiant and Gothic have eyes on him, it'll take him two turns to get out of here barring any interruptions.

It's Radiant's turn.
ImageImageImage

Artificer

Post by Artificer (?) » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:39 pm

Radiant grits her teeth. This hasn't gone quite as well as she had hoped.

She sprints away towards the evac point as fast as she can. (Movement and bonus dash. Do not leave map.) She fires a ray of frost at the melee guard closest to the old monk.

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:04 am

Radiant Rose acts out of turn, the rude pyromaniac horse, scampers away from an attack, and fires back at the swinging guard, dealing 4 damage! He's now Injured.

It's now Southern Gothic's turn, as it should've been. :v:
ImageImageImage

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:01 pm

Things seem pretty much under control here, but just in case Gothic decides she's going to help clear a path for the monk. She flies onto the scene, dashing to the guard that was accosting Radiant and ramming him (+5 attack for 1d6+3 with 1d6 sneak attack).

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:34 pm

Gothic finally breaks stealth for the first time in the camp since "being captured." She runs up and attempts to buck a guardspony.
d20+5 = 17, Hit
8 damage, KO'D
Really you're just flaunting at this point. :smug:

Archers act, the one closest to Gothic draws a blade and attacks!

It goes through, Autumn takes 5 damage! :nngh:

The other three archers aim at Ray, but nothing gets through to him.

If Bottle wishes to deploy in the top left corner, he is free to do so. Otherwise guard action is next
ImageImageImage

Frostymage

Post by Frostymage (?) » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:58 am

"Wait, what? I thought... horseapples!" He unhitches himself from the cart and then runs at top speed (120 feet) back into camp. Disad on aoos against him.

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:33 pm

Bottle gallops with incomprehensible speed, grabs the hostage, then starts moving to the exit. Meanwhile, guards move up to try and get Attacks of Opportunity, but are unable to regularly attack.

Blinding Ray, then Gothic, then Radiant are up in that order. Ray can deploy on the top edge and cast some spells or whatnot.
ImageImageImage

Wooten
Semper Pie

Post by Wooten (?) » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:20 pm

Just a note, Sanctuary doesn't require concentration, so if Bottle hasn't attacked at all he still has it.

Ray takes a shot with his crossbow at the archer attacking gothic (+3 for 1d8+1).

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:24 pm

Blinding Ray provides covering fire!
d20+3 = 14, Hit!
1d8+1 = 5 Damage!
The archer who attacked Gothic is now Injured. Serves him or her right.

Speaking of Southern Gothic, she's up next.
ImageImageImage

Weird Autumn
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:08 am

Gothic always enjoys a good scrap, but at this point she's tired and just wants to keep her eyes on the prize, so she disengages from the enemies ganging up on her and turns the tables on the guard engaging Bottle and the monk, giving him a good thwack on the back of his head. [+5 attack for 1d6+3 with 1d6 sneak attack damage]

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:38 pm

Southern Gothic delivers a flying kick to the guard harassing Bottle and the hostage, and knocks him out with 11 damage! You're nearly clear of this, don't stop now!

It's Radiant's turn.
ImageImageImage

Artificer

Post by Artificer (?) » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:58 pm

"Phew. Thanks for the help, everyone!"

Radiant makes for the edge of the map, and fires a Ray of Frost at the enemy closest to the monk and Bottle.

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:02 pm

Radiant fire on the archer, but narrowly misses. Meanwhile the archer runs up and attacks Bottle, but also missing.

Bottle then comes under a hail of arrow fire! 3 arrows, but only one that connects deals 4 damage to him.

It's now Bottle Bash's turn.
ImageImageImage

Frostymage

Post by Frostymage (?) » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:07 pm

Bottle takes the VIP, and runs off at the highest speed he can while avoiding the attempted blows at him (disengage, move, dash). "Let's get out of here! Lead the prisoners!"

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:21 pm

The last guard charges Gothic!
d20+? = 22, Hit!!
6 Damage done to Southern Gothic
Blinding Ray is up next, then Southern Gothic, then Radiant Rose. You can all evac this turn provided Gothic can disengage.

You're not looking too good, but you're almost out of here!! :flail:
ImageImageImage

Wooten
Semper Pie

Post by Wooten (?) » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:17 pm

Ray turns and flees, trying to put as much cover between himself and the attackers as possible.

Weird Autumn
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:18 am

With Bottle and the monk safely away, Gothic disengages from the guards and (with her cunning action) dashes away from the battle.

Artificer

Post by Artificer (?) » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:41 am

Radiant sends out one last Ray of Frost at the closest wounded cultist, then proceeds off the map at maximum sped. She looks to help gather up any prisoners who have peeled off the main group.

"Let's gather everyone and get them home safely. I'm beat."

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:36 pm

Artificer wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:41 am
Radiant sends out one last Ray of Frost at the closest wounded cultist, then proceeds off the map at maximum sped. She looks to help gather up any prisoners who have peeled off the main group.

"Let's gather everyone and get them home safely. I'm beat."
Radiant Rose manage to comically freeze the guard solid while running as fast as her hooves can carry her.

As tired as you all are, the next hour is nothing but a desperate chase. The prisoners got a decent head start, but arrows have been falling just short of Radiant and Gothic. Luckily, it seems someone is running interference for you, as you can hear sounds of fighting coming from behind you, but you have not the time to look back.

You ride with the sun at your backs for another five hours before safely deciding you've lost them. From there it takes another few hours of trotting to get back to Leafrest.

Your first contact is with an outrider who greets you quite enthusiastically.

"You set out with five and came back with over a dozen! That's a success story if I've ever heard one. Come, I'm sure the governor, heck, EVERYPONY will be thrilled! We should celebrate! I don't suppose one of you is a bard?"

From here five of the prisoners split off, insisting that they should return to their loved friends and family before meeting with the local authority. They promise you whatever hospitality or rewards that might entice you, promising to see you later. Three others from other towns follow you into the castle along with Earthenware who is back to walking on his own, though very shakily. The monks at the castle are delighted to see him alive, quickly tending to him and finding him shelter while offering prayers in your name. Nighthill greets you in the main keep, and vigorously proclaims:

"Let it be known that there are heroes in our midst, and that their courage and daring-do should be applauded throughout time!
Well done my friends, my Castellan will see to it you are paid duly for your many troubles. But come, you must be tired, I'll have a hot meal and warm baths drawn for you, there's someone I want you to meet afterwards.

Feel free to talk to anyone and everyone while you eat, bath, and rest while you wait to meet that (presumably) pony Nighthill wanted you to meet.
ImageImageImage

Artificer

Post by Artificer (?) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:55 am

After thanking Nighthill and the Castellan, Radiant slowly walks up to Ray. "Thanks for all the help back there, with that weird ritual and potionmaking and such. Can't believe we got out of that alive. Not sure what I was even doing out there. Horsefeathers, I'm only a newly minted wizard from the academy doing her post-doc. What is it that you do again?"

Frostymage

Post by Frostymage (?) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:53 pm

Bottle heads over to Earthenware. "Say, I don't think we ever got your name. You doing alright? You seemed hurt back there."

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:27 pm

The monk gives a solemn bow, "Earthenware, and thank you for your concern, but I should manage. They were... cruel to me, but I will recover." He gives a pained smile, clearly grateful for all you've done. "I don't suppose you have my emblem? Pewter Pot said he gave it to you to help find me. My staff as well, but I imagine I'll be needing a new one now."

You were given a choker and a broken staff, but you imagine only one of those is useful now.
ImageImageImage

Weird Autumn
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:08 pm

Gothic watches the festivities for a while, thinking over the events of the last few days, trying to make sense of what's happened. She catches Nighthill in a quiet moment and takes him aside. "So. Cult in the woods. They infiltrate the town--still a little shaky how that happened, if I'm being honest--and we rout them. We bust into their camp, bring back their prisoners, muster the troops and chase off whoever's left. And that's it, you figure? Case closed? We all move on with our lives and forget the time an army of zealots took over the entire town 'cause they were just that scared of some dragon. Bit too clean a resolution for such a messy situation, if you ask me."
Last edited by Weird Autumn on Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Artificer

Post by Artificer (?) » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:25 pm

After speaking to Ray, Radiant asks Earthenware to speak to a monk most familiar with herbology, figuring that monks would likely be the most familiar with religious rituals and tools thereof. She especially seeks to understand what happened to her during the ceremony, and the effects of the herbs she collected.

Frostymage

Post by Frostymage (?) » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:45 pm

ToastGhost wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:27 pm
"I don't suppose you have my emblem? Pewter Pot said he gave it to you to help find me. My staff as well, but I imagine I'll be needing a new one now."
Bottle winces, then pulls the now three items out. "Sorry about the staff. At least your emblem's intact. My name's Bottle, by the way. A drink?" He offers Earthenware a drink, then gestures to have him join the rest of the party. "Was there any particular reason they went after you, anyway?"

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:06 pm

Weird Autumn wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:08 pm
Gothic watches the festivities for a while, thinking over the events of the last few days, trying to make sense of what's happened. She catches Nighthill in a quiet moment and takes him aside. "So. Cult in the woods. They infiltrate the town--still a little shaky how that happened, if I'm being honest--and we rout them. We bust into their camp, bring back their prisoners, muster the troops and chase off whoever's left. And that's it, you figure? Case closed? We all move on with our lives and forget the time an army of zealots took over the entire town 'cause they were just that scared of some dragon. Bit too clean a resolution for such a messy situation, if you ask me."
Nighthill gives a resolute but worried look, "Aye, if only it were that easy... I loathe to ask more of you considering all you've done, hence why I'm passing the buck to somepony else who I imagine you'll have a much harder time refusing." He gives a mysterious smile at that last part, urging you to follow him to a meeting with that somepony.
Artificer wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:25 pm
After speaking to Ray, Radiant asks Earthenware to speak to a monk most familiar with herbology, figuring that monks would likely be the most familiar with religious rituals and tools thereof. She especially seeks to understand what happened to her during the ceremony, and the effects of the herbs she collected.
It'll take some time, but one of the monks promises to identify the lot of herbs you collected from the camp. He reaffirms that the most prominent is drakeswort, the mild hallucinogen or poison depending on who you ask.
Frostymage wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:45 pm

Bottle winces, then pulls the now three items out. "Sorry about the staff. At least your emblem's intact. My name's Bottle, by the way. A drink?" He offers Earthenware a drink, then gestures to have him join the rest of the party. "Was there any particular reason they went after you, anyway?"
He turns down the drink with a waving of a hoof, then addresses the other question. "Truth be told I have spent a fair deal of my life studying these... dragon-eccentrics. I knew they posed a danger to the pony community, but I never thought they'd be so brazen in their attacks.
As for why they would want me... well, I am a dangerous foe to have, apparently."
A faint smile.

It seems the special somepony is ready to meet you now, and is waiting in the guest-tower.

(I.E. Give me a little bit to prepare a speech and gather some artwork, then you can meet them. :v: )
ImageImageImage

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:57 pm

You are escorted by two pegasi guards to a door that leads to a small stairwell. Ascending, you see a very pretty pony:
She's sitting by a small moon shaped window, ivy on the stonework, waiting with a few cups of tea, some lemon cake, and a warm smile.

"Hail, friends of Equestria. Do not think to greet me like like you would nobility, but simply speak your mind. You are to be commended for your efforts amongst and against those would do you harm. I know it was likely not pleasant, but what if I said there was good work to be done in your field of expertise?" She levitates a cup of tea. She's also offering you some very casually and telekinetically. "You are free to turn me down, but somehow I think I can convince you."

She offers lemon cake. It looks really good. :pcstare:
ImageImageImage

Weird Autumn
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:04 pm

Gothic accepts a slice of the cake and takes a small bite out of it. It's fine. She puts it back down. "I'm always looking for new clients, your highness. But you'll forgive me if I prefer not to take a job before I know what it is."

Artificer

Post by Artificer (?) » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:35 am

Radiant is a little proud that she managed to not let her jaw drop too far. She takes a bite of the cake and drinks the tea a little too fast.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Princess Celestia. It was quite intimidating, to say the least. However, if Equestria needs me, you will not find me wanting.

If you could put in a good word for me at the Academy in Canterlot, and tell my professor Magus Hoofdini that my research into cross-species use of magic will be further delayed...I would really appreciate that."

"Also maybe talk him into giving me a sabbatical after this..." Radiant mumbles quietly.

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:46 pm

Weird Autumn wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:04 pm
Gothic accepts a slice of the cake and takes a small bite out of it. It's fine. She puts it back down. "I'm always looking for new clients, your highness. But you'll forgive me if I prefer not to take a job before I know what it is."
"Quite reasonable. I'm sure you've already picked up a bit of information on these Tiamat worshippers, and I hate to ask more of you after you've done so much, but the need is great." She sets down her tea and sets a very serious tone to her face, purple irises looking down at you from the natural height difference. "I need you to return to the cultists' camp. You know your way around it now. If the cultists are preparing to conduct another raid, or a large body of them marches away, or if anything substantial is carried into or out of that cave, I need to know.
If you have a chance to get into the camp and look around again, that would be the ideal way to spot anything that's changed."
She resumes her tea-drinking. "We have word that a good number of them did move away after your escape, so you likely won't be dealing with a full camp this time. The choice is yours, of course, and should you decline I'm certain there is more work up north that requires attention."

She then turns to address Radiant. "I'm sure you could find a chance to continue your studies abroad, but I'll be sure to put in a good word for you at the academy. I'm sure Hoofdini will understand, especially when I explain to him why I needed his student for further cross-species study. I can't make any promises about that sabbatical though, there is lots of work to be done..." She sighs, tea-drinks.
ImageImageImage

Artificer

Post by Artificer (?) » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:27 pm

"Well, once I finish this perhaps I will finally be in control of my own schedule." Radiant sighs.

"But are you sure we should be the ones to do this? Surely there are others more capable. I mean, we didn't even know each other before the attack on this town."

Weird Autumn
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:30 pm

"Don't sell yourself short, dear. Not in front of the princess." Gothic cocks her head curiously. "But it does seem a bit strange, if I may say. They were operating out of a shoddily-constructed work camp, it wasn't a particularly defensible or permanent installation. And after our little stunt they have to know we'll be coming back with the full brunt of the town guard and any other force we can muster. That's not a fight they can win. So why would they stay? Or leave the place standing at all?"

"I wouldn't mind having a chance to investigate properly, though. Last time I was a mite occupied. Up until things got noisy, and then there wasn't much of a chance to poke around." In the back of her mind, though, Gothic wonders... is there something the princess isn't telling them? (Insight +6, and on a 7 or lower I get to take an 8)

Frostymage

Post by Frostymage (?) » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:14 pm

Bottle is in shock. He's not expecting to see Princess Celestia here, of all places. He bows his head briefly in reverence.

"Go back to the camp, ya say? Ah can do that. Especially with all mah friends with me, if you ask."

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:57 pm

Artificer wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:27 pm
"Well, once I finish this perhaps I will finally be in control of my own schedule." Radiant sighs.

"But are you sure we should be the ones to do this? Surely there are others more capable. I mean, we didn't even know each other before the attack on this town."
She lowers her voice a tad from the royal speech, taking a more relaxed tone. "I see potential in all of my pupils, Radiant Rose.
I can think of no other way which you might hone your craft more. You say you didn't know eachother, but look how well you've come together.
I see four friends before me, and I've spoken to a few others who would bestow you with that honor. You've grown, Radiant. I see great potential in you, all of you.
Weird Autumn wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:30 pm
"I wouldn't mind having a chance to investigate properly, though. Last time I was a mite occupied. Up until things got noisy, and then there wasn't much of a chance to poke around." In the back of her mind, though, Gothic wonders... is there something the princess isn't telling them? (Insight +6, and on a 7 or lower I get to take an 8)
Southern Gothic possibly rolls Insight vs. Celestia's Deception??? :conftoot:
You can't get a read. She seems so heartfelt and honest and nice and you want to hug her. :prettywings:

You do get the impression that she's talked to a few friends of yours, whatever that means. :pcstare:
Frostymage wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:14 pm
Bottle is in shock. He's not expecting to see Princess Celestia here, of all places. He bows his head briefly in reverence.

"Go back to the camp, ya say? Ah can do that. Especially with all mah friends with me, if you ask."
She bows her head a little bit, but again, tallhorse. "I would dearly ask, and reward you properly for your efforts. This line of work can be very profitable for brave ponies. Though you might want to ask your friends yourself. Especially that shy one." She winks.

Blinding Ray is clearly in a stunned awe still, obviously. :v:
ImageImageImage