[D&D5E] QUEEN OF THE DRAGON THRONE

Running Games and Taking Names (Forum Games: Mafia, RPGs, etc.)
Artificer

Re: [D&D5E] QUEEN OF THE DRAGON THRONE

Post by Artificer (?) » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:20 am

Well, he IS a cleric.

Artificer

Post by Artificer (?) » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:04 am

Radiant pulls herself together and focuses on the task ahead. "Very well then. Princess Celestia, do you know anything about our opponents? They seem to have an uncanny ability to convert otherwise loyal ponies into brainwashed cultists to supplement their primary forces and griffin mercenaries. Some of the unicorns I spotted in the camp seemed to be drained and exhausted too. Maybe it was from marching and fighting, but can magic be drained from them? For a ritual of some sort?"

Wooten
Semper Pie

Post by Wooten (?) » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:17 pm

Ray breaks out of his trance, and knocks over his tea in excitement. "My Princess!", He yells, a little too loudly, "I hereby dedicate my life to serving you. I was always dedicated I mean! Of course. I just mean- uh." He looks around frantically realizing everypony is staring at him.

"We will get to the bottom of this, Princess." He finishes, blushing.

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:07 pm

Gothic takes a sip of tea, more for display than for the tea, and glances at the princess out the corner of her eye. "Don't worry about him. He's just religious."

Frostymage

Post by Frostymage (?) » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:05 pm

"Welp, I'm ready to get back into the action. Y'all coming?" Bottle grins and starts heading out, featuring for everyone else to follow.

Artificer

Post by Artificer (?) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:59 am

Radiant's jaw finally drops completely. Here is a perfect opportunity to ask for assistance and no one is taking it.

"Uh, uh. Princess, I don't suppose you could offer us any additional assistance? Like potions, or spells, perhaps?"

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:43 pm

She chuckles. You are of course welcome to my blessing or a favor, should you ask for it. She winks at somepony, mostly Ray. But I have seen to it that you will be paid 150 gold bits each in advance, and the same amount over when you should return. And I have one small request. She looks very serious all of a sudden. "If you see any dragon eggs, be very careful that none should break. This is vital."

She then returns to sipping tea. "I think the temple should have healing potions in store, and some other local businesses have opened back up since the attack. As said, you have at least one night's preparation, plus I imagine you all could use a good night's rest. The rest is up to you at your discretion, but I do hope to see you at sunset. I'd like to hold a little ceremony." She grins softly.
ImageImageImage

Artificer

Post by Artificer (?) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:11 am

Radiant bows her head respectfully. "It would be a great honor to be granted your blessing, Princess. And thank you for your gift. Of course we will show up to your sunset ceremony."

"Dragon eggs, however? Do you want us to bring them back, or leave them where they lay?"

Radiant makes a note to herself to peruse the stocks at the temple.

Artificer

Post by Artificer (?) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:19 am

And she plans to consult with the temple monks and the Castellan regarding any information they may have on the enemies, their rituals, and local maps/information about the area around the camp.

She also notes that Princess Celestia neglected to answer her question regarding if the Goddess knew anything about their assailants.

Weird Autumn
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:25 pm

Gothic thanks the princess cordially and takes her leave, wandering off and leaving the party to their own devices for now. She spends the rest of the day skulking around town, visiting her usual haunts and keeping an ear out for gossip, particularly about any unusual or previously unknown to her actions the cultists may have taken during the siege, and if it comes up, anything about the Princess and her royal entourage.

Frostymage

Post by Frostymage (?) » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:09 am

Bottle goes to the stores to see if there are any more supplies, possibly better weapons.

He also goes to any of the potion shops, looking for strength and speed, in addition to portable potable healing.

After that's done, the relaxes and enjoys a nice meal.

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:47 pm

I'll get some more story and gossip out in a bit, but you do see some noteworthy deals in town.

Solar Temple
Potions of Healing - 40 GP Each, 10 in stock
Greater Healing Potions for 80 GP, 5 in stock
Spell scrolls available upon request

Blacksmith
Weapons +1 - Starting at 250 GP
Ammunition +1 - 80 GP for 20 arrows, bolts, etc.
Fey Horseshoes (Boots of Elvenkind, grants advantage on move silently checks) - 150 GP
Fey Cloak (Cloak of Elvenkind, hiding advantage) - 175 GP

General Store
Bags of Holding - 150 GP
Robe of Useful Items (Please buy this) - 150 GP
Potion of Minotaur Strength (Sets Strength to 21) - 80 GP
ImageImageImage

Weird Autumn
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:07 pm

While making her rounds through the city, Gothic stops to dump a giant pile of gold (425 to be precise) on the blacksmith in exchange for a +1 brass horseshoe (read: shortsword) and the Fey Cloak.

Artificer

Post by Artificer (?) » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:05 pm

Radiant pops back into the General Store after her more important errands, and purchases a Bag of Holding for 150 gp. She then spends the rest of the time in the Inn with some food and drink, jotting down notes and thoughts about her recent adventures.

Maybe she'll publish a book.

Frostymage

Post by Frostymage (?) » Wed May 09, 2018 9:06 pm

Bottle purchases a robe of many things, two greater healing potions, and a potion of minotaur strength. He then goes to relax in the tavern until it's time to go, regaling the other ponies with tales of his adventures.

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:46 pm

Hoo boy it's been a while. Princesses have been busy. :pcstare:

After a few hours that seem like they take 10 months, the sun begins to set, and bells ring out for the ceremony about to begin. You make your way to outside the castle courtyard, where Celestia waits, horn aglow, slowly setting the sun as the congregation gathers. She waits, nodding at each of you as you arrive, then begins her speech.

"Blessed be the sunlight, giver of life, as it departs for another night, so that we may dream and rest under the moon's beam.

Blessed be the moon, sister to the sun..." She seems hurt for a second, as the moon begins to rise over the opposite horizon. "As it presides over another night, it's watchful gaze reminding us that we are not alone in our celestial voyage."

"Blessed be all ye gathered, for each one of you is a friend to another, and friendship will be what pulls us through these trying times."

Her horn's glow fades as she opens her eyes, addressing what seems to be most of the town gathered before you, with yourselves closest to her. "Go now, and rest, my ponies. There is still much to be done on the morrow. I will see you all at sunrise. Blessings of the sun and moon go with thee."

She departs to the castle, likely to rest, you imagine. Controlling the sun and moon is no easy feat, don't you know. :spike101:

Now, as a much-needed recap, you had escaped a dragon-cultist camp with an injured earth-pony monk in tow, along with several other not-as-injured townsfolk who were and are very glad to be back home. After meeting with the princess, you know, the tall, important, and only one as of this age, it was determined that you were to go back to the bandit camp, to gather more information, find out what was in those caves you never explored, and/or blow something up again.

Alright, back in the saddle! Who's ready for some more horsie D&D?! :excite:

Also I hope you still have your character sheets around. :-I
ImageImageImage

Weird Autumn
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:33 am

Gothic unfurls out her wings and stretches, as if shaking off ten months of rust. "Well," she says, "at least things aren't going to get dull. And this time I won't even have to spend the visit in a cage."

Artificer

Post by Artificer (?) » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:55 pm

Artificer wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:05 pm
...She then spends the rest of the time in the Inn with some food and drink, jotting down notes and thoughts about her recent adventures.

Maybe she'll publish a book.
Radiant looks at the piece of parchment she'd been staring at on and off for 10 months. It says "What I learned on my adventures is"

She sighs and rolls it up and puts it back in her bag of holding. "Well. Perhaps I'll have better luck next time."

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:00 pm

It's only felt like 10 months, I swear. :pcstare:

Otherwise gameplay will continue in proper if anyone's good to move to the next day, in which you'll likely go out and head back to the campsite.
Weird Autumn wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:33 am
"And this time I won't even have to spend the visit in a cage."
That's what you think. :spoiler:
ImageImageImage

Weird Autumn
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:07 pm

Gothic returns to the small cottage on the end of town where she lives. She takes a long look at the sheets of notes and case files piled up around her desk and table. Old cases, mostly, or just personal investigations into matters that had caught her interest. She still intends to get to most of them. But it looks like tomorrow won't be the day. She flops over onto her bed and has one of her usual dreamless sleeps.

Funny how nopony dreams anymore. You'd read about them in books, but as far as she knows, she'd never had one. She never met any pony who had.

Funny. Funny, funny.

But that was a mystery for another time.
Last edited by Weird Autumn on Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frostymage

Post by Frostymage (?) » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:24 pm

Bottle simply gets some more to drink, feasts with the townsfolk, then realizes that he has nowhere to stay anymore since his shack is all the way outside of town. He's too proud to use a shelter or ask for help, so he sleeps on the benches near where everyone was eating.

He gets up relatively early, ready to take on some cultists, and immediately gets to drinking when he's the first one at the dedicated meeting point.

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:15 pm

Blinding Ray who will be played by me for the unscryable future (we miss you, Wooten! :hug:) plops his gold down on a +1 Mace and that robe of useful items, with the reasoning that it will have items that will be useful. You can see on his fashionable new robe pictures of a ladder, a sack, and several other useful items that exist in a quantum state until they are needed or determined. Half of these patches are on the inside of the robe anyway.

Come sunrise, you can see Celestia raising the sun from a castle balcony, seeming to forgo any regal ceremony or speech this time. You are still invited to her quarters where she will see you off before your expedition back to the bandit camp.

Waiting for you in her chambers is, of course, her, but also the familiar sight of the griffon you saved and who saved you back at the camp. Celestia addresses his presence:

"We heard word from Gal'Akir here that much of the hostile forces have departed the camp, making their way north somewhere, though it's hard to determine exactly where or where they might strike next. This should give you time to scout out the camp and find anything or anyone they might've left behind." She closes her eyes, "If you would take him, Gal'Akir would like to pay back his debt to you, and perhaps you can teach him something about friendship on the way." She opens her eyes again. "Now, unless there is anything else, I suggest you be off post-haste. Even I am unsure of how much time we might have before they strike again..."

Gal'Akir seems bashful and none too talkative, but you might be able to coax some words out of him on the way there. Otherwise, is there any other business you have in town, or will you gather your party and venture forth?
ImageImageImage

Artificer

Post by Artificer (?) » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:28 pm

Radiant would like to know more about his companion and background, but before she makes a fool of herself, she tries to dredge up any memories from what she learned about the Griffons in school.

KNOWLEDGE HISTORY +5 check, please.

Weird Autumn
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:34 pm

Meanwhile, Gothic is going to try to break the ice. She walks alongside Gal'Akir and nudges him slightly with her wings. "Hey there, friend," she says. "You seem nervous. Which is fair enough. But maybe I can help, if you'd like to share what's on your mind." (Persuasion +3)

Frostymage

Post by Frostymage (?) » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:44 pm

Bottle steps forward and offers the griffon a drink. "You griffons sure tend to be on the braver side. I respect that a lot. Come, this'll help relax you if you're not feeling brave yet."

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:04 pm

Artificer wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:28 pm
KNOWLEDGE HISTORY +5 check, please.
The Dice Gods wrote:1d20 = 1, CRITICAL FAILURE
You recall someone telling you that griffons are cultureless savages with no capacity for friendship and are only capable of murdering ponies and each-other.

You can't remember who told you this or why you were even studying griffons in a unicorn magic school. :areyousure:
Weird Autumn wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:34 pm
Meanwhile, Gothic is going to try to break the ice. She walks alongside Gal'Akir and nudges him slightly with her wings. "Hey there, friend," she says. "You seem nervous. Which is fair enough. But maybe I can help, if you'd like to share what's on your mind." (Persuasion +3)
Frostymage wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:44 pm
Bottle steps forward and offers the griffon a drink. "You griffons sure tend to be on the braver side. I respect that a lot. Come, this'll help relax you if you're not feeling brave yet."
The Dice Gods wrote:The DM rolls two secret numbers...
The griffon first takes a swig from Bottle's flask (or bottle), then proceeds to cough a bit. "Jeeze, you ponies don't mess around, do you?" He coughs some more, wiping his beak and making a slightly-pained squawking sound, presumably at the taste or roughness of the booze. "Well, the way I see it, you had a chance to kill me, which is what most griffons would've done, but instead you let me go... after I'd paid one of my debts, of course. But then I saw the way you fought, the way you snuck around, the way you didn't give a dragon's ass about anything other than the mission you were on and..." He sighs. "Not to get all mushy or anything, but it was... kinda inspiring. I'd been living on my own for most of my life until I thought I'd get a better pay under those mad cultists, but seeing what you all managed to accomplish? Makes me want to give this friendship thing a try." He spreads his wings a bit. "Y'know, if you'll have me..."

He folds his wings. "But, we got time to talk, and daylight's burning away." He saunters off towards the castle exit, looking back to make sure y'all are following.

You can talk to him some more if you'd like, otherwise the next stop is the bandit camp. Again.
ImageImageImage

Artificer

Post by Artificer (?) » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:10 pm

[Insight or Perception +2 on that particular testimony]

Radiant squints a little bit, feeling like she must've accidentally read some terrible rag on griffons in the past. She can't help but be a little suspicious as a result though.

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:21 pm

The Dice Gods wrote:More secret numbers...
You think he's telling the truth. Seems genuine enough. :fluttershrug:
ImageImageImage

Frostymage

Post by Frostymage (?) » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:13 am

"Ha HA! That's the spirit!" He doesn't notice the pun. "Of course we'll have you! We could use someone like you, to help our credibility when we sneak in again!"

Bottle starts trotting in place. "Ready to leave when you all are!"

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:15 pm

The journey to the camp is surprisingly and thankfully quite uneventful. You can make your way to the same lookout point as before, where you'll find that the large majority of the tents have been dismantled or burned, leaving only a few of the lesser ones standing.

From your lookout, you see only a single active campfire, with two griffons and two ponies surrounding it, seemingly waiting for their meal.

Otherwise the place looks abandoned. If you could, give me your perception bonuses if you decide to scout out the tracks to and from the campsite, along with any other actions you might take.
ImageImageImage

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:18 pm

Bottle, your survey of the tracks reveal that the camp split up in just about every direction. It'll be hard to track where the bulk of the forces went without further clues.
ImageImageImage

Weird Autumn
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:21 pm

Gothic takes to the skies and tries to quietly survey the area from up high without being noticed. (+4 perception, +3 stealth if it's relevant)

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:26 pm

Gothic, you notice a lot of trampled ground and relatively fresh tracks leading to and from the caves on the east side of the valley. You also notice that the four at the campfire seem to notice you, but besides watching you they seem to be minding their own business, just poking at the fire and waiting for their meals to cook.

The bad news is they've noticed you, but the good news is they don't seem to care. :pinkieshrug:
ImageImageImage

Artificer

Post by Artificer (?) » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:58 pm

"Honor is in the challenge...Pride, in the victory." Radiant intones, as she summons her familiar and set it to keep an eye on the sky and the surrounding area, while keeping out of sight.

Weird Autumn
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:56 am

Gothic takes a few more swoops over the site. There's no point trying to be stealthy now that she's been seen, so she makes her presence obvious, and makes sure it's fairly obvious she's casing the joint. She flies low over the walls and dips down under the tree line for just a moment, giving herself cover while she quickly lands to speak with the rest of the party. "Tracks, over to the east. They moved a lot of ponies--and griffons, et cetera--that way. The ones in the camp don't seem to be paying us much mind, but I'm going to drop in and talk to them, see if I can keep their attention while you follow the trail. I'll meet back up with you shortly." With that, Gothic hops back up into the air and slowly lifts back up over the treeline.

She takes a few more dips down low outside the wall, so that it'll look like she just wanted to take a look around near the ground, and then flies over to the camp fire, dropping herself in a short distance from the group. She waits to see how they respond to her, trying her best to look relaxed and unconcerned, even though she's ready to take off at a moment's notice.

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:04 am

The group watches you as you approach, and one of the griffons is the first to greet you. "Hail. If you've come for food, I'm afraid you're out of luck, unless you ponies started eating meat while I wasn't looking." He points to a nearby deer carcass, and you can see hunks of meat cooking on the fire, alongside a few measly carrots roasting on a spit.

"You don't look like you were with the others, not that it matters. They packed up fast and left, heck knows where. We were scouting for food at the time, decided we'd tough it on our own rather than chase after them."

The two ponies, one pegasus and an earth pony, seem fairly disinterested in you, instead choosing to watch the slowly cooking carrots.

"Make yourself at home, not that it's much of one. We won't give you any trouble. You do the same, please." The griffon looks to the other, "Please is a word ponies say, right? Please and thank you?" The other griffon shrugs. "Eh, like I cared anyways."
ImageImageImage

Frostymage

Post by Frostymage (?) » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:23 pm

Bottle waits a little bit to listen in, before following the trail away from the site as Gothic suggested. He tries making out any details about the trail, such as number of entities, whether they had carts, and so on. He's not particularly concerned about being spotted after hearing the start of the conversation, then pauses for a moment, before heading back to the site. He taps Gothic on the shoulder and whispers to her, "think we could use a bit more help? They don't exactly strike me as loyal."

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:36 pm

Frostymage wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:23 pm
Bottle waits a little bit to listen in, before following the trail away from the site as Gothic suggested. He tries making out any details about the trail, such as number of entities, whether they had carts, and so on. He's not particularly concerned about being spotted after hearing the start of the conversation, then pauses for a moment, before heading back to the site. He taps Gothic on the shoulder and whispers to her, "think we could use a bit more help? They don't exactly strike me as loyal."
Entities: hundreds
Carts: a few
Direction: just about every, sadly

One pony speaks up upon seeing Bottle. "Friend of yours?"
ImageImageImage

Frostymage

Post by Frostymage (?) » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:49 pm

Bottle nods. "Jus' tryin' to help. Yer welcome to join us, if you'd like."

Artificer

Post by Artificer (?) » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:08 am

Feeling somewhat out of her depth, Radiant silently trails behind, looking around for signs of residual magic, magic implements, and such like.