Actual Pokemon Switch - DYNAMAXING

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Re: Actual Pokemon Switch - DYNAMAXING

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:02 am

Darn each side has some really cute pokemon, I'll need to think about this instead of just going for my usual method of "which one has misdreavus"
ImageImageImageImage

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:19 am

Also, Sword gets Fighting and Rock gyms, while Shield gets Ghost and Ice.

For non-legendary things, you can normally join max raid battles hosted by the other game - but they can be pretty hard to get into from rooms filling up quickly or hosts closing the room.

For example, I’ve caught Vullaby in Sword from seeing a max raid notification pop up.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:50 am

I'm loving this game so far, got some quibbles but they haven't hindered my enjoyment really.

But does Spikemuth seriously not have a shop for cool punk clothes??? :consternation:
Image /// Image /// Image

Perpetual Motion
Enthusiasm makes everything an adventure.

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:16 pm

Perrydotto wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:50 am
I'm loving this game so far, got some quibbles but they haven't hindered my enjoyment really.

But does Spikemuth seriously not have a shop for cool punk clothes??? :consternation:
The last city has an awesome leather biker jacket in various colors, but it's also the single most expensive clothing item in the game. :-I
Last edited by Perpetual Motion on Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:36 pm

As I've learned today, the Gigantamax Meowth can get a lot of money every battle where you can use G-Max Gold Rush - enough that you'll easily buy that jacket in one or two battles.

Jill
it's the super maria sisters super show!!!
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:55 pm

Vivianinatoga
Semper Pie

Post by Vivianinatoga (?) » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:23 pm

Where can I find my Hall of Fame entry so I can proudly show off my dysfunctional team of misnamed misfit like they were my grandchildren?
ImageImageImage

Perpetual Motion

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:58 pm

There's no actual Hall of Fame, weirdly enough, even though Leon's battle theme is just one big remix of the classic HoF theme. Your championship team is immortalized on the title screen that nobody ever sees, though. :v:

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:11 am

I mean, as long as you aren’t hammering the A button, you will see it the first time after beating Leon, but yeah I haven’t seen anywhere to view history.

If you’ve only beaten it once though, you can see what has the ribbon?

Vivianinatoga
Semper Pie

Post by Vivianinatoga (?) » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:29 pm

I just wanted to show off my sweet Bad Naming skills.
(clickthrough for thread feat other TRS members and a handful of randos)
ImageImageImage

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:08 am

Hindenburger :lol:
ImageImageImageImage

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:13 am

I like “Foxy Grandpa”

That’s a heck of a deep cut

Jill
it's the super maria sisters super show!!!
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:22 pm

Gloomy Rube wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:08 am
Hindenburger :lol:
i'm glad you like it

i just got finished naming/renaming a few things

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:09 pm

Mimikyutie :3:
ImageImageImageImage

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:25 pm

Aside from the Sword and Shield expansion packs, a remake of the original Pokemon Mystery Dungeon got announced today as well, coming in early March and with a demo out today (if you can't find it on the eShop, there's an easy download link on the Nintendo Direct page). I have already played the entire demo and even though it's a bit short (about 1.5 hours, it cuts off before you go rescue Diglett from Skarmory), I can already tell they've added a fair number of quality-of-life improvements, such as an instant shortcut from your base to the post office, and in dungeons there's now a ToME-style autoexplore function. The visual style they're using here is gorgeous, too, and the soundtrack's still beautiful.

Needless to say, I already had Animal Crossing on my must-buy list, so I'm glad this is coming out March 6. I'm picking this up for sure, too.

Perpetual Motion

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:50 pm

So, they're making a limited anime series set in Galar, and it's looking to be some good and wholesome down-to-earth stuff, which could be neat. They certainly don't seem to have the budget for flashy battles, at least, if those super rough CG background are anything to go by. I'm super interested, in any case. Hard to tell where this is going just from this first episode, but it's super cute and I am all there for that.

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:22 pm

those are some major digimon vibes from a pokemon anime
ImageImageImageImage

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:46 pm

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that, it seriously reminded me of Digimon The Movie in terms of artstyle. :-P

Perpetual Motion

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:33 pm

Huh, yeah. It didn't click with me before, but there's deff some Digimon vibes there.

Perpetual Motion

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:36 am

Episode 2:

Seems like individual character vignettes rather than any overarching story is how they're doing things, which works fine for the format. Massive animation bump in this one, too. Like, damn, that's pretty in spots, particularly the training montage. I got Shield, so I never got any impression of Bea, but this short made me really like her as a character. Anyone who trains by physically throwing down with their pokemon gets tons of respect from me, and seeing her overdo it because she took her background loss from the last episode poorly is very relatable as well. I love basically everything about this! :allears:

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:45 pm

Rescue Team DX dropped yesterday and it's as I expected from the demo; that is to say, really great. I haven't gotten too far in yet (just beat Zapdos) since I've spent a lot of time rescuing people through the Pelipper Post Office.

I've not yet had to be rescued, but from what I can tell, those who do have to be rescued can choose to submit their rescue requests to everyone else online (as far as I can tell; curiously, the game uses "friends" when describing it, so I thought it would be limited to people on your friend list) in addition to the classic method of using a password. You can then go pick some rescue missions and complete them for surprisingly good rewards, even in the early dungeons. Of course, the best part of it is the warm, fuzzy feeling of knowing you're saving what are likely some pubbie kids from getting owned. :allears:

Geomancing
Patreon supporter

Post by Geomancing (?) » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:38 pm

I'm not as far plotwise as you, I don't think. I had a hilarious time against Team Meanie in one of the early dungeons; getting to the boss fight netted me four new friends tagging along, so the actual fight was three versus six in an amusing beatdown where I think Gengar got a single attack off before getting piled on, and the other two didn't do anything of note.

Perpetual Motion

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:44 am

This month's episode of Twilight Wings is about Hop, or more specifically, Hop's Wooloo. It is also about the cutest fucking thing I've seen in a very long while and I love it to bits :allears:

Every time Pokemon stops and takes some time to do character development on a mon individually, I absolutely love it. Hop's Wooloo just wants to be the strongest ball of fluff ever and live up to the example set by Leon's Charizard, despite being vastly differently abled in terms of what it could ever be capable of. It also provides some heartbreaking context for that period in Sword/Shield's story when Hop benches Wooloo after taking his loss to Bede particularly poorly, and makes its eventual evolution and return as Hop's lead Pokemon in the last few battles with him all the more important as a sign of character growth. I am 100% there for it.

This series is three for three on great character pieces and looks at the world so far. I'm going to be quite sad when it's over.