General gaming superthread

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Re: General gaming superthread

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Fri May 08, 2020 4:13 pm

DaikatunaRevengeance wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:59 pm
Though, i was expecting TFH to be on the easier side.
you were tricked by the colorful colors and ponyful ponies.
ImageImageImageImage

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Fri May 08, 2020 4:14 pm

Oh no!
ImageImage Image Image

;) ❤️ :twasnothin: ❤️ :fancyhat:

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Fri May 08, 2020 4:18 pm

the music's good tho
ImageImageImageImage

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Fri May 08, 2020 4:20 pm

Yeah, that's rad.
ImageImage Image Image

Perpetual Motion
Enthusiasm makes everything an adventure.

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Fri May 08, 2020 4:22 pm

To be fair, it is on the easier side. Universal inputs, no double motions, reasonable combo windows, and a generous input buffer. It's just that it's still a traditional fighting game, because that's what it wants to be. That means combos and execution are a thing because that's what fans of the genre appreciate. If you want something simpler, you have basically three options: Simplify special inputs (Rising Thunder), largely get rid of combos (Samurai Shodown), or just junk the normal fighting system altogether (platform fighters like Smash or weird off-genre things like ARMS).

So, you've definitely got options. You just have to know what you're looking for.

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Fri May 08, 2020 4:24 pm

Getting rid of combos is good imo

combos are bad
ImageImageImageImage

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Fri May 08, 2020 4:26 pm

one piece burning blood has very few combos so it's good
ImageImageImageImage

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Fri May 08, 2020 4:26 pm

source: I'm the number 1 player on PC for my main character in that game
ImageImageImageImage

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Fri May 08, 2020 4:27 pm

I guess For Honor could count as a fighting game. I was alright at that one.
ImageImage Image Image

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Fri May 08, 2020 4:29 pm

I wish the game wasn't associated with Ubisoft, because man, I feel like Ubisoft really wanted to push the whole players vs players element, when the game shines in 1v1 arena fights.
ImageImage Image Image

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Fri May 08, 2020 4:30 pm

Not to mention character unlocks being grindy.
ImageImage Image Image

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Fri May 08, 2020 4:35 pm

Other than fighting games I kinda hate pvp in general

and like, all these mmos going "WE GOT WORLD PVP" as their main feature is like "you are anti-sellin to me, bub"
ImageImageImageImage

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Fri May 08, 2020 4:38 pm

Agreed.

More often than not when i play a PVP title i just end up miserable.
ImageImage Image Image

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Fri May 08, 2020 9:52 pm

Gloomy Rube wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:29 pm
I really couldn't get into them's fighting herds because the game was EXTREMELY "competitive fighting game esports" in design.
I feel like if you're going to try to market a fighting game in this day and age, or indeed any era past the first wave of its popularity when it was still novel, your options are either that—to appeal to the die-hard fighting game community—or filling the roster with characters people already know so it's more about the novelty of being able to play Who Would Win with their faves. And they already tried the second option and it didn't work out.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Fri May 08, 2020 10:02 pm

I dunno, I'd say Smash Bros. is working out great.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Sat May 09, 2020 3:44 am

I meant this particular game tried it. And they were forced to stop.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Sat May 09, 2020 6:59 am

ImageImage Image Image

Perpetual Motion

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Mon May 11, 2020 2:25 am

Today I encountered the funniest save-annihilating glitch I've ever seen. I was watching my brother play KOTOR 2 an Xbox One because he happened to own it and felt like messing around with it on a whim. He was in the starting zone and died on an encounter about 45 minutes in. He loaded an auto-save (the only save he had at the time), and...

...his character had been replaced by this monstrosity. :-I

It seemed to be the default male character model with facial textures mapped to the body for some god-forsaken reason. This applied to the back of the character, too, which gave him...

ASS LIPS :twonk:

It wasn't just the model, that was busted, though.

His whole character had been scrapped and replaced with what I can only assume are the system minimums/defaults. Level 1 Soldier, 3 in all stats, max dark side points, 1 HP, 0 exp. He even had no powers or feats, which includes starting weapon proficiencies, so he could equip no weapons at all. Thus, the game was completely unwinnable, as he would instantly die to even a single enemy before he could ever gain enough experience to level up and maybe restore some sense of normalcy, and reloading the save doens't fix anything either. It was so weird and hilarious, though, that I'd say it was pretty worth it. And now we just have a busted save file on hand for posterity. :thumbsup:

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Mon May 11, 2020 5:47 am

LMAO
ImageImage Image Image

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Mon May 11, 2020 7:41 am

ASSLIPS: A Star Wars Story

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Mon May 11, 2020 9:26 am

when the ass kisses back
ImageImage Image Image

Perpetual Motion

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Thu May 14, 2020 3:51 am

So, over the last few days, I buckled down and beat Moon Studios' Ori duology, Ori and the Blind Forest and Ori and the Will of the Wisps! If you can't tell by my current avatar, (which comes from this lovely piece of concept art,) I really, really liked them, the second game in particular. Both games have absolutely fantastic platforming and stunningly beautiful art direction, but I felt that the first game suffered a fair bit in terms of combat, story, and balance. It's still a solid 8/10, though, and definitely worth playing at least once.

Will of the Wisps, though? 10/10, amazing game. It basically fixes all of my problems with the first game. Combat takes extremely heavily after Hollow Knight, with directional melee strikes and spells, with modifiers applied by a badge/charm system. Given that HK has some of the best combat in the genre, that's 100% a good thing. The balance is much better with the progression path being far more open and flexible. And the story is way, way improved. Ori gets actual characterization beyond "innocent child who loses everything but saves the day," as well as very personal stakes and motivations in saving the day beyond just being a good person. Another thing the first the first game lacked was NPCs beyond your very generic Navi-esque companion and a few story characters you basically never interact with directly. WotW, on the other hand, again takes the Hollow Knight approach and fills the world with colorful characters. None of them quite reach the depth or complexity of HK's bugs, but the primary race of critter you encounter, the Moki (as seen in my avatar), are an absolute delight to interact with (and a few even come with some pathos if you feel like feeling bad about some fictional otter-cats). And finally, the ending is very powerful and effective, even if you correctly read the foreshadowing on the twist. Over all, it's a fantastic, complete package, and easily stands up there with Hollow Knight and the genre's namesakes. Play it if you like the genre, or even if you found fault with the first game. It is absolutely worth your time!

Perpetual Motion

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Thu May 14, 2020 4:04 am

In the end, though, if you're going to take away one thing, let it be the simple philosophy of this Moki:

Angel Beat
~ Space, the final frontier. ~
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Angel Beat (?) » Sat May 16, 2020 11:14 pm

I should play Ori, I have the first one downloaded. :3:

-------------

Right now I'm going through Dark Souls Remastered, and I'm generally doing better at it so far than I'd expect. Killed the Capra Demon in two tries, and the Gaping Dragon and Chaos Witch Quelaag in one try each.

Heck, even going through Blighttown itself was a relative breeze.
New signature pending.

Mechanical Ape

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Sun May 17, 2020 8:32 pm

Deep beneath the roots of the world, a mighty king slumbers. His power is not what it was, and so he sleeps to collect his remaining strength. Before hibernating he fashioned a servant, a Shade, with one directive: to wake him after 400 days. This is the premise of The Longing, my latest low-key purchase, a combination of exploration game, idle game and Tamagotchi.

Just 399 days, 19 hours, 7 minutes and 57 seconds to go! :thumbsup:

The Longing is all about passing time. You have 400 days to kill and it passes at regular speed (but see below) and continues to pass when you're not playing. You don't have to do anything -- in theory you could start the game, quit, and return after 400 days -- but look at this poor little minion. Do you really want to leave him all by himself, with nothing to do, in this empty, cavernous subterranean kingdom? Might as well do a little exploring, don't you think?

Everything in this game requires you to slo-o-o-o-w down. The underground kingdom is vast, the Shade only ever plods at walking speed and there is no fast travel. You can, however, tell him to head to a particular room you've been to and memorized, and he'll start walking. If it's a long distance, go log out for a while and come back later.

:spoiler: They mean a real life week.

Again, this is basically a idle game about waiting and loneliness, although the Shade has an optimistic attitude about it all. He's a charming little fella. One of the things you can do is decorate his room with stuff he's picked up in your explorations. More amenities allow time to move faster while he's here.

Yes, you can read the full text of Moby Dick.

Perpetual Motion

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Tue May 19, 2020 4:52 am

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Tue May 19, 2020 5:58 am

ImageImage Image Image

Perpetual Motion

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Tue May 19, 2020 6:31 am

I think you mean

But also, now we have

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Tue May 19, 2020 8:44 am

:cool: aw yiss :cool:
ImageImage Image Image

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Tue May 19, 2020 1:21 pm

They actually redid the music on an eighth-gen game? I guess the extra Kickstarter money had to go somewhere.

Perpetual Motion

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Thu May 28, 2020 7:55 am

So, I recently picked up Dark Souls 3 for PC on the cheap, and decided to jump right into a well-regarded mod since I'm already quite familiar with the base game. I went with the Cinders mod after seeing some gameplay from a streamer I follow.

Essentially, the mod is a complete overhaul that accomplishes three main things:

1) Rework balance to make most any build and weapon viable and scale well into multiple NG+ playthroughs. A huge part of this is allowing FP to regenerate passively all the time, making spellcasting builds sustainable at any point in the game and encouraging weapon art usage.

2) Tweak enemies and progression in a way similar to Scholar of the First Sin for Dark Souls 2, reordering items, adding new shortcuts, and altering spawns.

3) Add in literally anything you may have been missing from basically everything Soulsborne. Poise functions correctly, and the best weapons and armor from Demon's Souls, DS1, DS2, and even Bloodborne are added in for more variety and selection (though the Bloodborne weapons don't have their proper movesets and transformations, instead just approximating their properties and playstyles with existing animations and stats, but I think that's being worked on?). You even get a few little Sekiro nods here and there for good measure.

I'm having an absolute blast with it. I've beaten the majority of the first playthrough of the game, with just The Ringed City DLC left to do, and I've gone through about 3 different build styles that were all fun: an archery build, a luck build, and a minimal weight miracle/pyro build. I think what convinced me that this mod is something special was what they did to "fix" the Champion's Gravetender boss in the first DLC, as that boss is probably the single lamest fight in the game. They simply completely axed the boss and replaced it with an incredibly elaborate gauntlet fight against the "Lordran Remnants," AKA the Four Knights of Gwyn from Dark Souls 1. They're not just reskinned enemies, either. Each of the knights has a unique and appropriate moveset and model, and while they do draw from other bosses in the game, they aren't 1-1 copies either.

Best video I could find of the fight below:
It's so seriously well done and surprising that I think fans of the series should try to experience it in some form.

So, yeah, good game gets better, and it's still being improved. The full form of the boss fight above was just added this month, so there's obviously more on the horizon, and I can't wait.

Mechanical Ape

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Thu May 28, 2020 12:55 pm

I feel like getting closure on a game I haven't finished (or even started, in some cases). I think I'll tackle Why Am I Dead at Sea, I've only got 7 minutes in it.

Jill
it's the super maria sisters super show!!!
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Thu May 28, 2020 1:03 pm

in the wake of terraria 1.4 i made a RO music mod because terraria's vanilla music isn't spicy enough for me

Angel Beat
~ Space, the final frontier. ~
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Angel Beat (?) » Fri May 29, 2020 5:54 pm

My first Dark Souls Remastered playthrough is still going pretty well. I'm mostly breezing through the areas and bosses, which is weird, since I've seen a couple of let's plays where the players were struggling.

I think it's because the combat pacing in the first Dark Souls feels slower than Dark Souls 3, which was the first Soulsborne I played (and finished twice). Of course, the DS1 bosses mostly lack the second phase power ups I've gotten so used to in DS3.

It... mostly feels relaxing so far. :-I

Of course, there's still the Catacombs, Tomb of Giants, Lost Izalith and the DLC for me to do, so it can still become quite tough.

Fingers crossed.
New signature pending.

diribigal
Special Flowers

Post by diribigal (?) » Sat May 30, 2020 1:20 pm

I just finished A Link To The Past for the first time in my life. It was alright, and I see why people play it randomized, but I think I enjoyed it less than a lot of other Zeldas. And there were a lot of points where I thought "modern game design would have fixed this".
ImageImageImage Very math.

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:12 pm

I don't really get interested in dark souls mods because so far as far as I've seen, none of them add new multiplayer content, which is my main draw in those games. I like the cool multiplayer system in those games and I want more covenants. Let me be in a reverse gravelord covenant where I make friendly onion knights spawn in people's worlds or something
ImageImageImageImage

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:13 pm

and most importantly give me a co-op invasion covenant. Let me surprise people with assistance, I want to be a eucatastrophe darn it.
ImageImageImageImage

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:19 pm

you've been FRIEND INVADED
ImageImage Image Image

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:44 pm

DaikatunaRevengeance wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:19 pm
you've been FRIEND INVADED
Yeah!!

the closest I can do is either use cheat engine to allow me to invade as a co-op (Which has issues because people assume I'm there to do hacking rude things so they usually disconnect) or invade as a regular invader named "A free item" and just fall off a cliff so they get the reward item for 'defeating' an invader :-I
ImageImageImageImage

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:10 pm

diribigal wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 1:20 pm
I just finished A Link To The Past for the first time in my life. It was alright, and I see why people play it randomized, but I think I enjoyed it less than a lot of other Zeldas. And there were a lot of points where I thought "modern game design would have fixed this".
ALTTP is extremely "the first one where they got stuff just right". It's certainly not bad at all, and is certainly enjoyable enough. But other games have long since surpassed it.